PDA

View Full Version : OTA REPORT, from a fan.

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 05:55 PM
I went to the OTA today and will probably go again tomorrow. Here are my STUDS and DUDS from OTA #1.

STUDS:

Jon Ryan - Booming kicks! Kicked into the wind and was impressive in doing so. What a great find. Say good bye Sanders!

Marc Boerigter - Made some VERY nice catches in traffic. Bigger and faster then I thought he would be.

Tra Boger - The undrafted rook. looked better then any other secondary player on the field. Made a real nice pick and had a blanket coverage on another play.

DUDS:

BJ Sanders - Shank city! Wow, he was really horrible. I saw the players cringe on a couple of his punts! HE WAS THAT BAD.

Aaron Rodgers - King of the check down again today. Over threw a couple guys and failed to make reads on some other plays. However, his arm looks MUCH stronger then last year and his first practice always seems to be rough. Hopefully he will clean it up tomorrow.

Cory Rodgers - Looked very mechanical fielding punts and dropped at least two. Jennings and Ferguson looked more fluid and comportable back there. He was just OKAY running routes but did make one very nice catch along the sideline.

ONE LINERS:

Manning looked bigger and faster.

Jennings made one very nice catch in traffic, stealing the ball away from the CB.

Hawkins got beat bad twice and almost went in my DUDS section.

Ferguson will be on this team. He looks pretty good actually.

Gado looks a little chubby.

Green will be back!

David Martin was just so-so.

Whitticker was starting at LT again.

Favre looked great.

FAVORITE MOMENT:

This is a great story. Right as the team got into their stretching formation I noticed that Brett was standing next to Ted Thompson. Before running to his place, Brett reached out and took something from TT. Brett then inserted a "dip" into his mouth and gave the tobacco tin back to TT! Brett took another pinch from TT later on. It was so funny.

Ted Thomspon, General Manager and Brett's CHAW BEE-ATCH!

Mazzin
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Wow REALLY enjoyed this post, please post tommorrows also if its not to much of a burden. Favre is the man for taking TT's dip. I really really have a good feeling about Jennings, and Marc Boerighter (sp), also didn't Gado ALWAYS look chubby ??????

MadtownPacker
05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Nice! Man are we gonna have to fire up the Fergie fan club again? Please let him have rediscovered his backbone, the O really needs someone to step up.

Nice to hear about Boerigter and Ryan. Maybe Sanders can go to houston too!

Mazzin
05-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I know after Mike Sherman the idiot wasted a friggin 3rd round pick on his sorry ass.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
They were kicking directly into a 15 - 20 MPH wind. Ryan barely gets any height on the ball so of course it went farther. I'm not saying B.J. Sander is better, but I thinkt here is more to punting than hitting directly into a 20 MPH wind.

What happens to that punt when the wind is at hsi back? It probably is a line drive right into the hands of an anxious returner. Also, I hear Ryan has real problems getting the ball off on time. I'm not saying B.J. is better or worse, but I don't think we know after one OTA esspecially considering the conditions strongly favored Ryans strengths today. The biggest stat is net yards adn I don't see Ryan doing anything spectacular that would improve that stat.

I think it's to early to declare a winner there.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
FAVORITE MOMENT:

This is a great story. Right as the team got into their stretching formation I noticed that Brett was standing next to Ted Thompson. Before running to his place, Brett reached out and took something from TT. Brett then inserted a "dip" into his mouth and gave the tobacco tin back to TT! Brett took another pinch from TT later on. It was so funny.

I didn't notice that. That is pretty cool. Brett is just an rugged normal guy. I can picture him standing next to me framing a house. That's why Wisconsin loves that guy. Damn, TT Chews...He looks like such a pretty boy.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Sander had a good net average before his leg got soggy last year. He punted a full season in europe and then came right to the NFL to punt a full season again. I think his leg was Jello at the end of last year.

I don't think Sander will ever be a boomer, but I think he can be a guy who is in the top 1/3 of the league in Net Punting average for 6 or 7 years and cause a few turnovers becuase of the fakie spin he puts on the ball with his left foot.

Ryan is pretty talented though. I think whoever wins is going to be at worste average. The biggest concerns I have are with RG and RB.

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Nick,

No offense man but there was NO comparison between BJ and Jon today. I am not saying that this completely validates my point, but even Christl agrees with me. Jon was FAR, FAR better then BJ was TODAY. Now, you may be right, we will see what happens to Jon tomorrow, but BJ won't be resting easy tonight. BJ might be a good punter in PERFECT conditions but Jon has the leg to punt in GB.

If you get a chance to watch the OTA tomorrow, watch Brett in between activities or even when he is not throwing. He was by TT, and MM, a lot. But TT would frequently give Brett a dip. Ha, funny stuff.

Count me in the Fergie fan club. But then again, I never left.

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, RG and RB are a concern. But seeing Green and Davenport out there moving around made me feel a little better.

The offensive line is the KEY! It needs to work this year. That unit will make us or break us.

Oh, and Gado may always look chubby, but this is the first time I have seen him with out pads so maybe it was new to me.

red
05-31-2006, 06:33 PM
thanks for the run down

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
I think if they were kicking in the other direction or kicking iwth no wind it would have been different. Sander has a lot more height adn the wind was killing his punts.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree though, if you had to take who's punts where better today, I'd take Ryan. He has a bad tendancy to kick low and that is exaclty what was called for today. It's still a battle IMO. I just think Sander's biggest weakness is kicking strait into a wind and that happens to be ryans strength.

Let's see what happnes in a preseason game when the cover team can't get to a dangerous returner because the punt is so low. I'm not trying to say Ryan's punts wern't better today, but I am trying to say that it might not translate to the game as much as first glance might indicate.

But yeah, I agree. Ryans punts where better TODAY in todays situation. Will they be better tomorrow when the wind is at their back?

Will they be better when there is a cover team trying to stop a dangeroius return man? I don't know the answer and after one OTA, I don't think anyone really does.

Guiness
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Go Ryan! Get another Canuck on this team :smile:

I get a kick out of the fact that there were apparently 40 odd spectators, and 3 of them are posting here! Almost 10% of the crowd.

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree though, if you had to take who's punts where better today, I'd take Ryan. He has a bad tendancy to kick low and that is exaclty what was called for today. It's still a battle IMO. I just think Sander's biggest weakness is kicking strait into a wind and that happens to be ryans strength.

Let's see what happnes in a preseason game when the cover team can't get to a dangerous returner because the punt is so low. I'm not trying to say Ryan's punts wern't better today, but I am trying to say that it might not translate to the game as much as first glance might indicate.

But yeah, I agree. Ryans punts where better TODAY in todays situation. Will they be better tomorrow when the wind is at their back?

Will they be better when there is a cover team trying to stop a dangeroius return man? I don't know the answer and after one OTA, I don't think anyone really does.

Nick,

I completely agree. The real test will be the preseason games, when the pressure is on!

You know you are a die hard fan when your following the punter battle!

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
TO ALL THOSE WHO THANKED ME FOR MY RUN DOWN,

You are more then welcome. I love hearing these "reports" so I am happy to type something up after I go to an OTA or training camp.

Michelle,

Any chance we get some more exclusive pics????

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Great report though. I thought it was very accurate and included just about everything that I noticed and more. I spent the whole team drills watching Hawkins when he was in so I missed a lot of the other plays.

I looked at Jennings quite extensively too. He's just as advertised. He adjusts really well to the ball. He has soft, quick hands. I like what he brings.

I also noticed Cullen Jenkins looked bigger. He looked fit so I would say it is more of a good thing than bad thing.

Also, Whittaker was big. He looks in much better shape than last year though. He was a dough boy last year adn this year he looks like a bull. He could afford to shed a few to fit into the scheme, but I think he's a lot stronger than last year just as a first impression.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Colledge didn't impress me either. He just looked small. He better be really friggin smart because he's not going to beable to stop anyone with his strength

hurleyfan
05-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info GB! It's nice to get the reports!

" Cory Rodgers - Looked very mechanical fielding punts and dropped at least two. Jennings and Ferguson looked more fluid and comportable back there. He was just OKAY running routes but did make one very nice catch along the sideline. "

Did Rogers have his glock on his hip, causing him to be slow and hesitate? :twisted:

Was Poppinga around?

Partial
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
collins, how often do you go to these? did u see whit last year in practice at all? Thats awesome and a great sign of the new weight program if Whit went from pillsbury to bull!

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the report GBPackFan, but where are the pics?? Come on, this is just an OTA, no pads or anything. Where is the hindsight in all of this? HINDSIGHT I tell you.

:wink:

hurleyfan
05-31-2006, 09:12 PM
And we all know how hindsight turns out!! :smile:

GBRulz
05-31-2006, 09:19 PM
yup! I promised my girls that I wouldn't let them down with the next batch of photos!!

Who is going to OTA tomorrow? Who wants to go for Bloody Mary's after? :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 09:38 PM

Fucking Awesome!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Who is going to OTA tomorrow? Who wants to go for Bloody Mary's after? :mrgreen:

I would like a Harvey Wallbanger, but I am stuck in DC being a robot (intern work).

Chubbyhubby
05-31-2006, 09:51 PM
:mrgreen: Gado and I have something in common we are both CHUBBY! LOL

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Chew is disgusting :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 10:04 PM

It's official. Ted Thompson is not gay.

BF4MVP
05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
I was there today..

There was one play where a receiver got tackled on a deep ball and Cory Rodgers (keep in mind, the intended receiver was not him, I believe it was Ruvell Martin) motioned for a penalty flag..He then started clapping, looked over at the railbirds, smiled, and said, "That's a penalty. Y'all are supposed to clap!"

Everyone then started to clap.

I was nervous about what would happen due to the recent events..I was afraid someone would yell "Go back to the ghetto, thug!" But then I remembered Packer fans have a lot more class than that.

Deputy Nutz
05-31-2006, 11:54 PM

I guess we just got the proof to disprove Tank's theory about Thompson being a homosexual. Gays don't chew tobacco, period. I guess it ends at chapter 10

Partial
05-31-2006, 11:57 PM
I was there today..

There was one play where a receiver got tackled on a deep ball and Cory Rodgers (keep in mind, the intended receiver was not him, I believe it was Ruvell Martin) motioned for a penalty flag..He then started clapping, looked over at the railbirds, smiled, and said, "That's a penalty. Y'all are supposed to clap!"

I was nervous about what would happen due to the recent events..I was afraid someone would yell "Go back to the ghetto, thug!" But then I remembered Packer fans have a lot more class than that.

Hilarious! That is pretty awesome! :lol:

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 12:01 AM
I was there today..

Dude,

I was thinking the same thing. I was right in the crowd that he ran by. I thought it was more becuase most of them didn't knwo it was him.

Partial
06-01-2006, 12:08 AM
collins read and answer my question on the previous page plz

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 12:19 AM
collins, how often do you go to these? did u see whit last year in practice at all? Thats awesome and a great sign of the new weight program if Whit went from pillsbury to bull!

I go to about 10 per year. I try to go one per week if I can. I think Whit looked pretty good.

Whitt does have extra fat. He is not in optimium shape for this system. I don't think all is lost with him. He carries his weight well IMO. You can see muscle in his lower back and rump. I know, I'm noticing a guys ass. The point I'm trying to make is that he has a good anchor. I think he naturally carries weight in the right places and is strong through his lower body and core. He's not all upper body like Donell Washington. He looked powerfull to me. He looked strong. I thought just the opposite of Colledge, but brute strength doesn't do much in this scheme. He's alot like Barry IMO but apparently a little smarter because he got on the field much quicker.

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh...I thought Colledge carried his weight the same way. He had a ton of muscle through his rump and core. He was thick through those area's. I believe that is where power is generated, so I think it is a good sign..He just needs to develop a little more IMO.

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
I was there today..

Dude,

I was thinking the same thing. I was right in the crowd that he ran by. I thought it was more becuase most of them didn't knwo it was him.
Well I guess that means we were a few feet away from each other and didn't know it..

If you saw a guy sitting on the end of the bleachers wearing a Fergy jersey and a yellow hat, that was probably me LOL :lol:

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 12:38 AM
(only I am dumb enough to double post on this forum...)

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I had my 3 year old son with me. I'm sure you know who I was.

Bretsky
06-01-2006, 12:43 AM
I was there today..

Dude,

Well I guess that means we were a few feet away from each other and didn't know it..

If you saw a guy sitting on the end of the bleachers wearing a Fergy jersey and a yellow hat, that was probably me LOL :lol:

Still wearing that Fergy Jersey ? You'll be easy to pick out, even at games. I thought your folks had a fireplace to put it in it's rightful place ? :mrgreen:

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
I was there today..

Dude,

Still wearing that Fergy Jersey ? You'll be easy to pick out, even at games. I thought your folks had a fireplace to put it in it's rightful place ? :mrgreen:
It's a very nice jersey, and it was damn expensive (well, I got it as a christmas present, but they sell for $180) so of course I still wear it..

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 01:01 AM
BF4...Did you see me and my son? I was sitting in the front. We left about 1/2 hour early.

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 01:04 AM
BF4...Did you see me and my son? I was sitting in the front. We left about 1/2 hour early.
I must have..I don't remember though

gbpackfan
06-01-2006, 04:36 AM
BF,

I sat right behind you! I was wearing blue shorts and a white shirt and was standing on the top row of the bleachers. Damn. That is crazy.

gbpackfan
06-01-2006, 04:38 AM
I actually liked what I saw out of Daryn Colledge. He looks lean and stronger then I thought. Hey, he certainly looks the part more then Tausch does. But then again, Mark has proven that looks can be deceiving!

packrulz
06-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the scoop everyone, nice to have our own scouts.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Who is going today? I'm going to try and make it over there but can't stay long. I will be going tomorrow for sure though.

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Did anyone see the guy in the trenchcoat?

That was Murphy.

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
GBM, I am thinking about going on Monday or Tuesday - weather pending.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-01-2006, 10:13 AM
you guys are so lucky, am just a poor ass bastard stuck in MD. Man, i would always see the practices if i lived in GB. :sad:

As for fergie, i see some people are starting to support him. Remember i have him down for 800 yards+ this year in my other post.

No Mo Moss
06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Nutz, is that kevin barry on your avatar?

RashanGary
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I actually liked what I saw out of Daryn Colledge. He looks lean and stronger then I thought. Hey, he certainly looks the part more then Tausch does. But then again, Mark has proven that looks can be deceiving!

I might have been lookign at Tony Moll :shock:

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:33 AM
GBM, I am thinking about going on Monday or Tuesday - weather pending.

Yay....Mary's following practice at Anduzzi's, right? :wink:

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Um, what about DURING practice? It's hot out there, you know.

Was thinking about bringing a cooler along, or maybe just a water bottle a la Maurice Clarett to "get my Goose on."

World's #1 football dog is coming along, too.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:54 AM
you're bringing Harlan??

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
you're bringing Harlan??

PLEASE.....keep him on a leash!!!!! :razz:

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I asked HH first; he said no. I don't think he wants to share our attention with the EC out on the field.

So maybe the #2 dog, then. Does practice start at 11:15? I know you posted the schedule somewhere, but I don't feel like looking it up...

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
hmmm, bulldog? So he can sit with us and discuss our love for #4?

OTA's are all scheduled for 11:15

Fritz
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I love getting all these reports from people who've seen the players. This is great stuff - thanks to all of you who go.

I've officially resigned my post as Vice President of Personnel of the Fergie Fan Club, so I'm afraid I can't re-up. I've been hurt in the past. y' know, and....and I just can't take that kind of emotional chance any more.

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Hmm, then you best be heading out. I need more reports on which players are looking good, please.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Hmm, then you best be heading out. I need more reports on which players are looking good, please.

I can't go today, something just came up for a client that I need to take care of :cry:

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Did anyone see the guy in the trenchcoat?

That was Murphy.

Classic.

Nutz, is that kevin barry on your avatar?

And another good one.

Mazzin
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Im sure somebody is going, whoever it is i hope they start a NEW post about day 2 just to make it easier on us.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:45 AM
So we have 14 threads about OTA's? Stop being so lazy, Mazzin... j/k ! :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I used to travel out to Green Bay annually before I got married to watch training camp. I used to have a notebook that I write all of my observations in. I miss those days.
:D

MadtownPacker
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Harvey's new notebook :razz: :

1. clean the house

2. make dinner

3. wash dishes

4. iron clothes

5. foot massage (for her)

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
LOL

Harvey, meet Bretsky. :razz:

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
figures, guys like that are either already married or gay.

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
BF,

I sat right behind you! I was wearing blue shorts and a white shirt and was standing on the top row of the bleachers. Damn. That is crazy.
No way! Dang, it's a small world, isn't it?

Tony Oday
06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Damn I wish I could make those Im just too far in the Twin Cities, yup behind enemy lines!!!!

TT with Chabbers hehe I love it.

Favre chewing just makes me laugh.

I cant wait until camp I will make it there because that is a better time of year for me to take off work.

We need Packer Rats T-Shirts!!!