PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming the Pope

packinpatland
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
This is taken from another forum:
Dennis O'Loughlin is in seventh heaven.

The Dane County Board supervisor from DeForest will be traveling with his wife, Sara, on Tuesday to see Pope Benedict XVI on the pontiff's first visit to America. The pope is coming to Washington, D.C., and New York City.

"I'm absolutely thrilled," O'Loughlin said today, as he prepared to head to the nation's capital. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

The O'Loughlins will be bringing along 20 rosaries 4 Pope Benedict XVI to bless, which will be given to members of their family.

A family connection made the trip possible.

Dennis O'Loughlin's cousin, Jane Belford, is chancellor of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. Dennis, Sara and several other O'Loughlin family members from the Boston area will be traveling to see the pope.

O'Loughlin, 68, is a lifelong Catholic, and this is his first opportunity to see a pope.

The "trip of a lifetime" includes seats on the lawn at the White House Wednesday when the pontiff arrives to meet with President Bush and box seats at Nationals Park, the baseball stadium 4 the Washington Nationals, 4 an open-air Mass Thursday morning where about 45,000 people are expected.

"There will be 300 bishops at Mass as well as 300 priests to serve Communion," O'Loughlin said. "Thirty-nine choirs will be singing and Placido Domingo is also scheduled to sing."

The large video screen at the stadium will show 15-minute messages from a variety of American Catholics welcoming the pope to America before the Mass Thursday, including a presentation by retired Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre.
Madison Bishop Robert C. Morlino will also be heading to the East Coast 4 the papal visit, part of a contingent of 84 from the 11-county Madison Diocese, said diocese director of communications Brent King.

The bishop issued a welcome message to Pope Benedict XVI, pointing out the pontiff will be in America on his birthday Wednesday, when he turns 81.

"With great joy and hope we welcome our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, to the United States of America," Bishop Morlino said in his message. "Let us join together, as a diocese, in praying 4 our pope and 4 his intentions.

"Especially considering he will be with us on his birthday, let us pray 4 his continued health and 4 safety in his travels."

O'Loughlin said the epitome of being Catholic is leading a good, honest Christian life, but seeing the pope is very special.

"There is a sense of holiness about him, not just 4 Catholics but 4 all," he said. "His faith transcends religion."

The pope is scheduled to attend an interfaith meeting Thursday evening at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., with Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Muslims and representatives of other religions also attending.

Milwaukee Archdiocese spokesperson Kathleen Hohl said tickets were at a premium 4 the two outdoor Masses the pope will be celebrating at Nationals Stadium in Washington and Yankee Stadium in New York.

"We were able to get 21 tickets 4 the Mass at Yankee Stadium and 20 4 the Mass at Nationals Park," Hohl said. "We also got three tickets to the Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, so tickets were very limited."

The pope will leave Washington Friday morning 4 New York, where he will give an address to the United Nations Friday, visit "ground zero" of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in lower Manhattan Sunday morning, and offer Mass at Yankee Stadium Sunday afternoon before heading back to the Vatican in Rome.

Badgepack
04-14-2008, 02:23 PM
I miss John Paul II

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
And, going along with this Papal mania, I've kind of designed a contest about the Popes. It's called "Find the Popes in the Pizza" ... they're in here. ... And, what we're gonna do in about one minute, we're gonna put a close-up of this on your screen and, you at home, all you have to do is get some, like, wax paper, any kind of paper you can see through and paste it to your screen -- or tape it, whatever you want -- and all you gotta do is get a pencil and draw a circle around every place you see a picture of a Pope. And, while we're doing this--

Some are easy to find, some are hard. ... Here's a little clue for you. Most of the Popes have red faces. ...

http://pizzaingredients.info/images/cheese_pizza_olives.jpg

packinpatland
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I honestly posted this because of the Favre connection......... :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 03:32 PM

So, you are like the media...using Favre to sell. Shame on you.

GBRulz
04-14-2008, 03:38 PM
:roll:

I think that's hella cool that Favre gets to meet the Pope. The Favre's are devout Catholics and Deanna has written some very inspiring articles in Catholic Digest.

Joemailman
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
And, going along with this Papal mania, I've kind of designed a contest about the Popes. It's called "Find the Popes in the Pizza" ... they're in here. ... And, what we're gonna do in about one minute, we're gonna put a close-up of this on your screen and, you at home, all you have to do is get some, like, wax paper, any kind of paper you can see through and paste it to your screen -- or tape it, whatever you want -- and all you gotta do is get a pencil and draw a circle around every place you see a picture of a Pope. And, while we're doing this--

Some are easy to find, some are hard. ... Here's a little clue for you. Most of the Popes have red faces. ...

You plagiarist. Father Guido Sarducci did this years ago on SNL. :no:

packinpatland
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM

What exactly have I sold????

Shame on YOU.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM

I think that's hella cool that Favre gets to meet the Pope. The Favre's are devout Catholics and Deanna has written some very inspiring articles in Catholic Digest.

I don't think it was in the article they are meeting him. Where did you see that?

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Of course he did. I wasn't hiding it. I lifted the whole thing.

I couldn't find the original pic of the pizza though.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Shame on YOU.

You sold this post. You bold faced the Favre part. Clearly that was to sell the story.

Shame on you.

packinpatland
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM

I don't think it was in the article they are meeting him. Where did you see that?

Don't be so darn nitpick'n........you know exactly what she meant. :roll:

packinpatland
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Shame on YOU.

You sold this post. You bold faced the Favre part. Clearly that was to sell the story.

Shame on you.

I was simply 'sharing' a nice story with fellow PR's and Favre fans.......I for one, am very proud of/for him. ................yea, for that I should be truly ashamed. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Don't be so darn nitpick'n........you know exactly what she meant. :roll:

No, i'm not nit pickin. Perhaps there was another article she is referencing. There is a huge difference between a video and meeting the pope.

I dont' think she is that dumb to confuse the two. Do you think she is?

GBRulz
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
ok, I didn't read the entire article that PIP posted, I read another article this morning something about "seeing the Pope is the trip of a lifetime". I guess I read it too fast because when I went back to re-read PIP's article it did say that it was just a message.

So I made a mistake, ooops.

red
04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
what pope wouldn't want god to welcome them?

in all honesty though, it would make sense that brett would welcom the pope seeings how the pope is here to bestow sainthood on #4

Tyrone Bigguns
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
ok, I didn't read the entire article that PIP posted, I read another article this morning something about "seeing the Pope is the trip of a lifetime". I guess I read it too fast because when I went back to re-read PIP's article it did say that it was just a message.

So I made a mistake, ooops.

Maybe you didn't. THat is why i asked if it was from another article. PIP's surely didn't say that, but maybe the other did.

And, if they/deanna is as active as you stated it isn't that farfetched.

MJZiggy
04-14-2008, 07:43 PM
This is so gonna screw up the rest of my week. :?

hoosier
04-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Of course he did. I wasn't hiding it. I lifted the whole thing.

I couldn't find the original pic of the pizza though.

No wonder I couldn't find any f-ing Popes! I just wasted ten minutes looking for Popes in a Pope-less pizza :evil: I did, however, find a lion. And a seal. Not a Papal seal, an aquatic seal.

Scott Campbell
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm Catholic, but I'd rather meet Brett than meet the Pope.

packinpatland
04-15-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm Catholic, but I'd rather meet Brett than meet the Pope.

A Catholic Polygamist? :shock:

The Leaper
04-15-2008, 09:45 AM
A Catholic Polygamist? :shock:

It's the other white meat.

GoPackGo
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Please-keep-the-Popemobile-off-the-Yankee-Stadiu?urn=mlb,76918

:lol: