PDA

View Full Version : 2 Become 1: Delta - Northwest Merger

Kiwon
04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
World's largest airline: Delta, Northwest in merger deal

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-04-14-delta-northwest-merge_N.htm

The 64,000 frequent flyer mile question is what happens to the miles already accumulated on both airlines? :(

Fortunately, since both are part of the Sky Team Alliance I put as much as I can on Korean Air. Still, I doubt seriously if the NWA mileage will be honored equally since Delta is the surviving brand and Northwest goes the way of the dinosaur.

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
You worry about your frequent flyer miles, and I'll worry about my job. Unfortunately, this impacts me directly. We'll see what happens. My guess is that you'll keep your frequent flyer miles. As far as me keeping my job, I'm not sure yet.

Kiwon
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
You worry about your frequent flyer miles, and I'll worry about my job. Unfortunately, this impacts me directly. We'll see what happens. My guess is that you'll keep your frequent flyer miles. As far as me keeping my job, I'm not sure yet.

Really sorry to hear about that, Harvey. Hopefully the time you've put in at NWA (I'm guessing) will give you an advantage in a competition for a new position.

Actually, I would not be surprised if the deal falls through. There are a lot of gov't hurdles in the way.

If anyone remembers the clamor over deregulation of the airline industry it's kind of ironic that mergers like this one are taking place. The world's largest airline, wow.

Keep us updated on what the news is.

Jimx29
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
The new company will be called Delta.
The headquarters will be down in Atlanta, not Minneapolis.
Almost all of Deltas employees are in favor of the merger.
Almost everyone from northwest opposes the merger.

And this is a ........merger? I's call it a takeover :?

Freak Out
04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Heads always roll in these situations and it looks like Delta will try and keep overall corporate control but I think a few unions will have a little bit to say about what happens with flight and line crews. Lucky for many is that I don't think there is that much overlap in routes or bases. Management is always hit hard in these kinds of deals though.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
All trrone cares about is whether any hot stews will be laid off.

Scott Campbell
04-15-2008, 05:10 PM

Sorry Harv. It's a brutal business.