PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs?????

MadtownPacker
04-15-2008, 01:48 PM
"Playoffs?"http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/truveo/images/thumbnails/06/5F/065FBD5449F30E.jpg

Yeah right, this schedule would be tough even with Favre.

Freak Out
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
You voted no? WTF Poncho?

I believe!

MadtownPacker
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
You voted no? WTF Poncho?

I believe!Living in that igloo must have damaged your cranium.

Have you seen the first 7 weeks?

The Leaper
04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
We can make the playoffs...but I'm not expecting to make much noise if we get there.

MadtownPacker
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
We can make the playoffs...but I'm not expecting to make much noise if we get there.Is sucks going from We can make the Superbowl to We can make the playoffs but that is the reality we are facing.

Chester Marcol
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Only thing happening this offseason was Favre retiring right? We didn't get moved out of the NFC North did we?

Unfortunately it will be the same result as our playoffs during the last 10 years.

packers11
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
How can you guys vote no in this shitty ass division... Maybe if we were in the NFC east I would vote no... But I can see the packers going 5-1 in the division... 4-2 at worse...

packers11
04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
also we play the NFC south :lol:

Atlanta , Carolina, TB, and the Saints...

The packers should get 3-4 wins in that divison...

woodbuck27
04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Only thing happening this offseason was Favre retiring right? We didn't get moved out of the NFC North did we?

Unfortunately it will be the same result as our playoffs during the last 10 years.

"Only thing happening this offseason was Favre retiring. . ." Chester Marcol

#4 Brett Favre 2007 Stat's (17 years experience with an unbelievable consecutive start streak)

RAT 95.7 | YDS 4,155 | TD 28

Vs.

An injury prone, basically a Rookie QB named Aaron Rodgers may leave some concern with some Packer fans. :D

also:

Another year on aging CB's Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Still questions with our OL and the ZBS and run support.

Ryan Grant still to prove himself and no proven back-up's at RB.

Where is our FS Nick Collins? Will he finally step up?

Another year on KGB and we need a more consistent pass rush from the RH side of the DL.

Donald Lee played well last season, but have we a proven back-up at TE? NO!!

Are we seeing the support we really expected from our linebackers? Is it just the defensive scheme? We need AJ Hawk to show us a breakout season and is Poppinga an answer?

Are we really confident in our coaching staff in terms of our defensive scheme overall; and specifically to defend against the pass? A lot of fans here down on Shottenlamer.

Now, not to piss on any " playoff's, YOU say playoff's" parade, but. . .

It seemed to me that except for questions at QB the Vikings looked a lot better in 2007.

Personally, I have concerns. I won't say we won't make the playoff's but so what. All that matters to me is another Super Bowl victory!!

PACKERS FOREVER!

Gunakor
04-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't see us losing our divisional crown this season, thus making the playoffs seems to be a very real possibility. If we finish 4-2 or better in divisional games we should remain NFC North Champions. I don't see a return to the NFC Championship game though. I think perhaps we could win one game in the wild card round, but it would probably end after that. Too early to speculate though. Remember, the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. Anything can happen.

Packnut
04-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I would view not making the play-offs as a MAJOR step back and there is no good excuse not to.

It's not like Rodgers is coming in blind. No, he won't be Favre, but he won't be Grossman either. I expect him to be a bit above average.

Both Jennings and Jones should each take another step forward which will help our QB out.

The whole key to our offense will be whether or not the interior of our offense has improved. IF it does'nt, then some hard questions will have to be asked and answered............

Gunakor
04-15-2008, 03:23 PM

#4 Brett Favre 2007 Stat's (17 years experience with an unbelievable consecutive start streak)

Vs.

An injury prone, basically a Rookie QB named Aaron Rodgers may leave some concern with some Packer fans. :D

also:

Aging, yes. But still effective. My main concern last season was thier backups, and this years draft is well stocked at that position.

Yes, but the improvement was evident as the season went on. Then in January they gashed Seattle for 200+ yards on the ground. Not very many teams at all were able to do that against the 'Hawks last year. It's a promising sign for the continued improvement in our run game.

Again, the improvement of B-Jax was evident as the year went on. He finished the season looking like a very adequate backup. I couldn't tell you if he'd be just as good in August 2008 as he was in December 2007, but you can't discredit his success any more than you can his failures.

My hope is that Aaron Rouse steps up and wins that starting job in camp.

Another year on KGB and we need a more consistent pass rush from the RH side of the DL.

KGB had double digit sack totals last year, so you can't really say he was inconsistent. I agree he's getting older, but I think TT can find a very good replacement in this years draft. At TE, I am fully expecting TT to use a day one draft pick to find a backup. Hell, in the second round he might be able to find one that would compete with Lee for the starting job.

Are we seeing the support we really expected from our linebackers? Is it just the defensive scheme? We need AJ Hawk to show us a breakout season and is Poppinga an answer?

Yes, it's just the defensive scheme. AJ Hawk is asked to eat up blockers on run plays so that Nick Barnett can run freely to make the tackle. AJ has done everything we've asked him to do and done it very well. On the other side, I'm not sure Pop is the answer. I'm guessing TT feels the same way, which is why his only FA signing this offseason has been at that position.

Are we really confident in our coaching staff in terms of our defensive scheme overall; and specifically to defend against the pass? A lot of fans here down on Shottenlamer.

F*CK SHOTTY!! I think they should dump Shotty and promote Lionel Washington to secondary coach. But as far as the scheme, although it is fairly vanilla, it is a very good scheme to stop the run. Use the big guys to eat up blocks, allowing your playmaker (Nick Barnett) to make plays. Say what you will about that, but Green Bay was top 5 in rush defense last year. Obviously they were doing something right.

It seemed to me that except for questions at QB the Vikings looked a lot better in 2007.

Personally, I have concerns. I won't say we won't make the playoff's but so what. All that matters to me is another Super Bowl victory!!

That might be a little above expectations this season. That isn't to say it CAN'T happen - Rothlisberger and Brady got it done in thier first years as starter - but it's SOOO hard to win a SB even with the best QB and a dominant supporting cast. Just ask New England.

LL2
04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm a believer in Aaron Rodgers!

GBRulz
04-15-2008, 04:43 PM
It's not Rodgers that I'm worried about, it's our aging corners and vanilla defense.

Too bad secondary coaches aren't available in the draft.

packers11
04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not Rodgers that I'm worried about, it's our aging corners and vanilla defense.

Too bad secondary coaches aren't available in the draft.

Woodson is only 31... He still have 3-4 years left in him, and he doesn't look like he has lost a step yet...

Harris on the other hand could fall off at any point in time because speed wasn't his strong point to begin with...

But I do agree with you about the vanilla defense and the secondary coaches being horrid...

packinpatland
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I voted 'I Believe!!!!!!'

I believe.....YES WE CAN!!!!!! :cow:

red
04-15-2008, 05:07 PM
i voted yes

i don't think the schedule looks that tuff

Partial
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
i voted yes

Yeah, but with a young quarterback and an adequate at best OL you can assume we'll lose a game or two that we should in theory win.

MJZiggy
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
I hate to rain on your pity parade, but it's just as possible that Favre, McCarthy and Thompson are right and the kid's got some skills and ability. He avoided a sack or two against Dallas by scrambling, I say they can do it!

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away.....

I'm expecting a division championship because of how weak our division is. I see 11-5 and a 3 seed.

Partial
04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I hate to rain on your pity parade, but it's just as possible that Favre, McCarthy and Thompson are right and the kid's got some skills and ability. He avoided a sack or two against Dallas by scrambling, I say they can do it!

I hope so, but its ignorant not to expect a huge decrease in quality of play out of the QB position. We'll see how it turns out. I hope I am wrong!!

MJZiggy
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Do not call me ignorant, rocket scientist.

Partial
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM

Aren't we a bit defensive? I wasn't specifying a specific person. In general, I think everyone can agree that there will be a drop-off from MVP candidate Favre to a player who has never shown he can get it done.

Charles Woodson
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
If Rodgers stays healthy, and we get a nickle corner, i think 12-4 is how we could do next year
The only loses would be Indy, because its a early in the year game.
I think that the jaguars game will be good and can go ethier way
And unless our team has a breakdown, we should own this year, just like last... I belive we can beat dallas, But that will be another close game, imo, because it is so early in the year, ontop of those three teams, the vikings are the only team in our division, who have a slight shot at stealing 1 away from us

Packers4Ever
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
i voted yes

Yeah, but with a young quarterback and an adequate at best OL you can assume we'll lose a game or two that we should in theory win.

This is beginning to sound like the polls/posts we had about 8 months ago. Remember? Most everyone keeping their 'win' figures way low, 9-7, 8-8 and where did we end up ? :)
Looking at our 2008 schedule, my real concerns are only the 'Boys and the Colts up to the Bye - after that it's an easy run past the boys from the south + Bears, Vikes, etc....
Aaron's going to come on like gangbusters most of the time and we'll be looking at around 11-5 0r 12-4 by Christmas :wink: Not too bad!

oregonpackfan
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm a believer!(No, I am not singing the old song by the Turtles!) :)

oregonpackfan
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Bretsky
04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
In general, I think everyone can agree that there will be a drop-off from MVP candidate Favre to a player who has never shown he can get it done.[/quote]

This is sensible

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Losing a QB who played at MVP caliber is going to hurt, but I think we can get to 10 wins IF ARod stays healthy. Right now, that looks like a big IF.

Anybody else think that we might actually draft two QBs? Somebody relatively high that the Packers project as a possible backup AND a developmental type. Probably not with how weak this draft is supposed to be at QB.

Bretsky
04-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Losing a QB who played at MVP caliber is going to hurt, but I think we can get to 10 wins IF ARod stays healthy. Right now, that looks like a big IF.

Anybody else think that we might actually draft two QBs? Somebody relatively high that the Packers project as a possible backup AND a developmental type. Probably not with how weak this draft is supposed to be at QB.

I think that would be a great idea; it would not surprise me to see TT go QB round two although I hope he waits til at least round 3. Dixon with a late rounder would not break my heart.

And as long as we're at it, use a 6th to draft IKE :!:

Gunakor
04-15-2008, 11:20 PM

Maybe. In another thread the name Colt Brennan was thrown out there. He's picked to go sometime on day 2 on alot of mocks Ive read. If they draft someone like Flacco on day 1 to be thier immediate backup, they might go for someone like this if available at thier 4th round compensatory pick or thier 5th round pick. They don't have a 6th, and I doubt very highly they draft a QB in the last round expecting him to develop into very much.

Hopefully this doesn't happen. I'd much rather they find someone in FA in June who has a bit of experience in the league to be the backup this year, while drafting a QB who could become the backup going forward.

HarveyWallbangers
04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
What about a guy like Josh Johnson in round 3 or 4, and then a guy like Kyle Wright in the 7th round. I know Wright sucked at Miami, but as a late round development type, he might be worth looking at. He has tools to work with? I haven't studied the guys at all, but I was just looking at the top QB bios on ESPN, and those are two guys that stand out.

Any chance that Brohm, Flacco, or Henne fall to late in round 2?

woodbuck27
04-15-2008, 11:35 PM

Vs.

also:

Aging, yes. But still effective. My main concern last season was thier backups, and this years draft is well stocked at that position.

Yes, but the improvement was evident as the season went on. Then in January they gashed Seattle for 200+ yards on the ground. Not very many teams at all were able to do that against the 'Hawks last year. It's a promising sign for the continued improvement in our run game.

Again, the improvement of B-Jax was evident as the year went on. He finished the season looking like a very adequate backup. I couldn't tell you if he'd be just as good in August 2008 as he was in December 2007, but you can't discredit his success any more than you can his failures.

My hope is that Aaron Rouse steps up and wins that starting job in camp.

KGB had double digit sack totals last year, so you can't really say he was inconsistent. I agree he's getting older, but I think TT can find a very good replacement in this years draft. At TE, I am fully expecting TT to use a day one draft pick to find a backup. Hell, in the second round he might be able to find one that would compete with Lee for the starting job.

Yes, it's just the defensive scheme. AJ Hawk is asked to eat up blockers on run plays so that Nick Barnett can run freely to make the tackle. AJ has done everything we've asked him to do and done it very well. On the other side, I'm not sure Pop is the answer. I'm guessing TT feels the same way, which is why his only FA signing this offseason has been at that position.

F*CK SHOTTY!! I think they should dump Shotty and promote Lionel Washington to secondary coach. But as far as the scheme, although it is fairly vanilla, it is a very good scheme to stop the run. Use the big guys to eat up blocks, allowing your playmaker (Nick Barnett) to make plays. Say what you will about that, but Green Bay was top 5 in rush defense last year. Obviously they were doing something right.

That might be a little above expectations this season. That isn't to say it CAN'T happen - Rothlisberger and Brady got it done in thier first years as starter - but it's SOOO hard to win a SB even with the best QB and a dominant supporting cast. Just ask New England.

A very fine response Gunakor.

Let's hope TT and Company are in your camp. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Gunakor
04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Flacco might, but Henne I still think could go in the first round - say if TT traded down with #30 to a team in need of a QB. Brohm I'm not sure will go in the first, but doubt he'd fall all the way to #56.

Josh Johnson is the kind of QB I'd like to draft to be the backup going forward, but maybe not the backup in his rookie season considering A-Rods durability record. Kyle Wright sure did stink as a starter at Miami, but if he's still there at the very bottom of the draft I'd use my 7th on him and see what I have. Our coaching staff is pretty good at getting the best out of quarterbacks so he could suprise some people. To be honest, though, I don't like what I've seen of him so far.

woodbuck27
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Who you aiming at MJ?

I voted that we can make the playoff's; but I do have questions as a Packer fan that I need (as usual) to have TT answer.

It's ALL his team now.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Partial
04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
What about a guy like Josh Johnson in round 3 or 4, and then a guy like Kyle Wright in the 7th round. I know Wright sucked at Miami, but as a late round development type, he might be worth looking at. He has tools to work with? I haven't studied the guys at all, but I was just looking at the top QB bios on ESPN, and those are two guys that stand out.

I bet Henne is there and he has an NFL arm. I liked him at UM and I think he could be a really good Packer.

Bretsky
04-15-2008, 11:54 PM

I bet Henne is there and he has an NFL arm. I liked him at UM and I think he could be a really good Packer.

Most feel Henne will get selected in round two before the Packers set of picks

Carolina_Packer
04-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Are you referring to our GM, the Turtle, or the Monkees? :)

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Have you noticed your voice getting deeper of late MJ? :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 12:36 AM

Most feel Henne will get selected in round two before the Packers set of picks

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/top.html

He's ranked:

53. Chad Henne QB Michigan

and

75. André Woodson QB Kentucky

93. John David Booty QB USC

100. Josh Johnson QB San Diego

PACKERS FOREVER!