PDA

View Full Version : Best sports writers

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Any time a column or chat from a WI sports writer gets posted, at least one person reminds us what an a-hole or know-nothing the author is. Every well-known writer has a hate club.

OK, for a change of pace, name three WI sports writers who you think have good insight into the Packers. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all. This is an exercise to raise the self-esteem of WI sports writers.

My favorites:

1) Cliff Chrystl
2) Bob McGinn
3) Jason Wilde

Scott Campbell
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Rick Reilly.

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 07:11 PM
McGinn,Wilde and Havel/Sydney

Harlan Huckleby
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Rick Reilly.

he's a know-nothing a-hole. ACtually, I don't know who he is.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Christl and then it's a big drop off to everyone else.

Everyone else trys to be objective but they make it a point to be objective adn sometimes they cross the line from objective to reaching for things that don't exist.

Christl is naturally objective. He doesn't press, he just writes good stuff every time he puts the pen to paper. Maybe it's because he is experienced, plugged in and secure enough to not have to stretch the truth, but for whatever reason the guy always seems to impress me.

He is the gold standard for Packer reporters IMHO. When he writes, I listen. He earned my respect.

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 07:57 PM
McGinn is the best writer hands down. He's a solid writer and mounts nice evidence for many of his views, even if they are debateable.

Cristl is good too, but he's fairly predictable and not near the writer McGinn is. I'd still rate him as #2.

I don't have a #3 yet as I don't think enough of the rest to list them.

RashanGary
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
McGinn is the best writer hands down. He's a solid writer and mounts nice evidence for many of his views, even if they are debateable.

Cristl is good too, but he's fairly predictable and not near the writer McGinn is. I'd still rate him as #2.

I don't have a #3 yet as I don't think enough of the rest to list them.

I could see a debate made for McGinn....What is up with the Milwaukee writers? Do they get paid more or what?

I like McCarren too. He seems to be really plugged into the team and always seems to get the story's strait from 1265 in the most depth. Havel is plugged in to Brett, so he has some cred too.

wist43
05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
I agree that McGinn is the best Packer writer... a lot of posters, and Packer fans in general, don't like him b/c he's blunt and tells it like it is - which, for the Packers of late, hasn't been pretty.

He's got a solid reputation among scouts and has good sources. The fact that I almost always agree with him may color my view a bit... but, when I do disagree with him it's generally b/c I think he's being to kind in his assessments.

The Packers have been a terrible defensive team for a few years now - they've also been one of the worst drafting teams over the past 5-6 years... McGinn has called a spade a spade, and you have to appreciate him for that.

esoxx
05-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Bob McGinn.

Guiness
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
What about national writers? Who are your favs?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
What about national writers? Who are your favs?

National: Norman Chad, the Couch Slouch

WI:
Bob McGinn, McGinn is probably the only writer who agrees with me on Thompson dismantling the Pack.

Tom Silverstein, extremely informative.

Chuck Carlson, Was once the Norman Chad of Packers reporting. I think he's covering the Lions now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 09:33 PM
McGinn, Christl, and then a big dropoff. Those two are some of the best beat writers covering the NFL though. I know they are a huge step up from the Twin Cities beat writers.

the_idle_threat
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Another vote for Christl, then McGinn.

When I played fantasy football, I used to get an edge by reading other cities' local papers online to get the local scoop on injuries, player attitude, etc. From what I found, other cities do not have anywhere near the quality coverage of their NFL teams as compared to the Packers with the Journal-Sentinel. I also understand the GB Press-Gazette has good coverage, although I don't read it b/c the J-S has plenty of coverage.[/url]

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Another vote for Christl, then McGinn.

When I played fantasy football, I used to get an edge by reading other cities' local papers online to get the local scoop on injuries, player attitude, etc. From what I found, other cities do not have anywhere near the quality coverage of their NFL teams as compared to the Packers with the Journal-Sentinel. I also understand the GB Press-Gazette has good coverage, although I don't read it b/c the J-S has plenty of coverage.[/url]

I agree; the Packer coverage is outstanding and the PI is worth the $35 per year I pay for it.

Of course, now that I'm away from the JS site I can just post all the articles in our forum so nobody else has to pay for them.

Cheers,
B