PDA

View Full Version : Favre's jersey retirement to come early

packers11
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Favre's jersey retirement to come early

Packers President Mark Murphy said the team is looking at one of the first four home games to retire Brett Favre's jersey.

Murphy said the team wanted to do it early in the season in order to get the best possible weather.

That means it will be one of four games:

-- Sept. 8 vs. Minnesota (6 p.m., ESPN)
-- Sept. 21 vs. Dallas (7:15 p.m., NBC)
-- Oct. 5 vs. Atlanta (Noon, Fox)
-- Oct. 19 vs. Indianapolis (3:15 p.m., CBS)

The Packers will present those four options to Favre and ask for his input before a decision is made.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

packers11
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
How cool would it be to have it retired at the posters game... 8-)

packinpatland
04-15-2008, 03:59 PM

How expensive would it be... :roll:

packinpatland
04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I think managment should just say it's going to be one of those four games and leave it at that.............surprise us. That way tickets won't get astronomically $$$$ high.

woodbuck27
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM

REALLY!! :D

pittstang5
04-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Ironic if it were at the Atlanta game...against the team that drafted him.

GBRulz
04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't doubt if it were the Atlanta game.

So much for me being able to easily find face value tickets for this game if that's the case.

Pray that my 4 tickets are for Atlanta. I was chosen in the lottery again this year but won't find out what game until June.

cpk1994
04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
My guess would be Cowboys game. Prime time and Madden is in town.

red
04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
um, why not do it against the sucks

i mean bears

Freak Out
04-16-2008, 04:21 AM
It will be a MNF retirement.

Kiwon
04-16-2008, 06:32 AM

That's probably a very good guess.

cpk1994
04-16-2008, 07:02 AM

That's probably a very good guess.Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.

red
04-16-2008, 07:34 AM

That's probably a very good guess.Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.

or if a-rod is cocky enough it would be a good way to show to the world that the favre era is done, and now its the rodgers era

it might actually give him a boost

MadtownPacker
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM

That's probably a very good guess.Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.I dont think it would be the viking MNF game. Probably the bears one.

The Leaper
04-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.

I agree. It ain't happening the first game of the season. I'm not as concerned that Rodgers couldn't "handle" it...it just isn't right (or classy) to overshadow Rodgers' first career start by giving the spotlight to Favre.

It also ain't happening for the Falcons game, people. The Packer brass knows full well that the Packer nation is a spread out group and doesn't all have Sunday Ticket to see every game, and they will want a national spotlight for Favre's jersey retirement so everyone can participate...not some regional crap game against the Falcons where only Wisconsin sees the game on free TV.

That means it will either be the Dallas or Indy game IMO.

GBRulz
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Well, the Packers left the decision up to Favre. It doesn't seem to me that they are overly concerned about the national spotlight.

The Packers retired Reggie White's jersey during a Tampa game. It was done at halftime. Rarely do halftime events get shown in full.

AtlPackFan
04-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Of course this is all predicated on his staying retired! :wink:

The Leaper
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
The Packers retired Reggie White's jersey during a Tampa game. It was done at halftime. Rarely do halftime events get shown in full.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Reggie had already died and was not present at his jersey retirement...which is why it did not draw as much of an interest in terms of viewing. The guy being honored wasn't there.

Reggie, while truly a Packer, also spent much of the best years of his career in Philly. Packer fans did not have near the connection to Reggie as they have to Favre...I'm sure Favre's jersey sales outpaced Reggie's 2-to-1 in the mid 90s. Did Reggie have a successful charity softball game in town? Do Packer fans pilgrimage to Reggie's hometown?

Make no mistake...Favre's retirement ceremony will be shown, because every network knows full well that millions of Packer fans, plus millions of non-Packer fans who simply appreciated Favre's style and attitude, will want to see it and it will draw huge ratings.

cpk1994
04-17-2008, 06:18 AM

That's probably a very good guess.Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.I dont think it would be the viking MNF game. Probably the bears one.THe retirement is happening during one of the first four home games, therefore the Bears game is out.

falco
04-17-2008, 07:10 AM

That's probably a very good guess.Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.I dont think it would be the viking MNF game. Probably the bears one.THe retirement is happening during one of the first four home games, therefore the Bears game is out.
isn't the bears game on MNF an away game anyway?

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Not gonna happen. They would be foolish to retire Favre's number on the same night as Aaron Rodgers making his first NFL start. Rodger's doesn't need Favre overshadowing the most important night of his career.

I agree. It ain't happening the first game of the season. I'm not as concerned that Rodgers couldn't "handle" it...it just isn't right (or classy) to overshadow Rodgers' first career start by giving the spotlight to Favre.

It also ain't happening for the Falcons game, people. The Packer brass knows full well that the Packer nation is a spread out group and doesn't all have Sunday Ticket to see every game, and they will want a national spotlight for Favre's jersey retirement so everyone can participate...not some regional crap game against the Falcons where only Wisconsin sees the game on free TV.

That means it will either be the Dallas or Indy game IMO.

Well he struggled Vs. Dallas so that leaves Indy. I agree it must be in the National spotlight as no other NFL football player is as loved and or respected.

I would have loved to see his number ritired for OUR packer fans here at the Atlanta game but it's better for ALL to be able to witness.

We have a sportscaster who writes for Sports Illustrated in Montreal and who often sits on a Sat. evening sports panel and said late last season:

" Is there anyone who could ever really come down on Favre as he's so likable and he gives so much to the NFL fans. " (paraphrased)

Brett Favre is for ALL fans. What a loss. Just to see his name hurts now. :(

Packers Forever!

Merlin
04-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Although I am a little surprised it is on the opening night, I am not shocked some "predicted" it wouldn't be the first game. I wonder if they will man up and say "whoops", meh, not worth holding my breath for.