PDA

View Full Version : PFT projects GB takes RB in 1st..

motife
04-15-2008, 08:31 PM
2008 MOCK DRAFT 3.0
Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2008, 8:44 p.m.
1. Miami Dolphins: Chris Long, DE, Virginia.

2. St. Louis Rams: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Vernon Gholston, LB/DE, Ohio State.

4. Oakland Raiders: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Jake Long, OT, Michigan.

6. New York Jets: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy.

7. New England Patriots (from 49ers): Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State.

8. Baltimore Ravens: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California.

10. New Orleans Saints: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State.

11. Buffalo Bills: Keith Rivers, LB, USC.

12. Denver Broncos: Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt.

13. Carolina Panthers: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas.

14. Chicago Bears: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois.

15. Detroit Lions: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida State.

16. Arizona Cardinals: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina.

17. Minnesota Vikings: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson.

18. Houston Texans: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma.

21. Washington Redskins: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma.

22. Dallas Cowboys (from Browns): DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brendan Albert, G, Virginia.

24. Tennessee Titans: Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami,

26. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn.

27. San Diego Chargers: DaJuan Morgan, S, N.C. State.

28. Dallas Cowboys: Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas.

29. San Francisco 49ers (from Colts): Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt.

30. Green Bay Packers: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon.

31. New England Patriots: Forfeited.

32. New York Giants: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/15/2008-mock-draft-30/

b bulldog
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
That would be great imo

red
04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
wouldn't bother me as long as we take a cb in the second

Gunakor
04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't think we are in such dire need of a RB that we'd use a first round pick on one. I also don't think TT would use a first round pick on one after using a second round pick last year on one, and trading away our 6th round pick this year for another one. And resigning Vernon Morency on top of all of it. The stables seem full. I don't see this one happening.

Bretsky
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
This might be one of those too good to pass up opportunities if Stewart slips to 30....................or

the ideal set of circumstances for TT to make a nice deal trading down with somebody that really likes him.

I'd be a bit surprised if we took Stewart, but I'd be ok with it. I think he can be a very good talent in the NFL and the two headed horse at RB seems to be a more popular concept.

I'm still not completely sold on Jackson, and with the deal Morency signed there is no cap hit if he is cut.

It would surprise me too......but heck.......Harrell did as well

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 01:23 AM
This might be one of those too good to pass up opportunities if Stewart slips to 30....................or

the ideal set of circumstances for TT to make a nice deal trading down with somebody that really likes him.

I'd be a bit surprised if we took Stewart, but I'd be ok with it. I think he can be a very good talent in the NFL and the two headed horse at RB seems to be a more popular concept.

I'm still not completely sold on Jackson, and with the deal Morency signed there is no cap hit if he is cut.

It would surprise me too......but heck.......Harrell did as well

"This might be one of those too good to pass up opportunities if Stewart slips to 30" B.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/top.html

13. Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon

He has to slip? No! Slide a long ways to #30.

Packers Forever!

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/teamneeds.html#gnb

Cleveland Browns Depth Chart

1. Cornerback: To get Shaun Rogers they had to deal away Leigh Bodden, which left a hole opposite Eric Wright. They like youngsters Brandon McDonald and Daven Holly but are they starting material?

2. Outside Linebacker: Kamerion Wimbley is one of the best pass rushing linebackers in the league but Willie McGinest is nearing the end of the line and it's probably time to start grooming a successor.

3. Running Back: Jamal Lewis was resigned but he is getting older and has a lot of mileage on his tires so they really need to bring in a dependable backup in case anything serious should happen to him.

Dallas Cowboys Depth Chart

1. Cornerback: Jacques Reeves left as a free agent and he wasn't a star that still hurts. At the absolute least Dallas needs an upgrade in the nickel who they can groom to ultimately start in a year or two

2. Wide Receiver: Patrick Crayton emerged and he was locked up long-term but Terrell Owens is getting older and Terry Glenn may be just about finished so they could use a young, speedy deep threat.

3. Running Back: Julius Jones fled as a free agent and Pro Bowler Marion Barber now steps into the starting job but they still have to find someone to compliment him and be the lightning to his thunder.

Detroit Lions Depth Chart

1. Running Back: Kevin Jones was never able to stay healthy and was sent packing which essentially leaves little (Brian Calhoun) or nothing (Aveion Cason) on their roster at the running back position.

2. Offensive Tackle: George Foster was a massive disappointment and things got so bad that Damien Woody, a natural guard / center, was actually seeing action at right tackle by the end of the season.

3. Middle Linebacker: Teddy Lehman never fulfilled his promise and bolted as a free agent so Rod Marinelli is still looking for a speedy, athletic middle 'backer to plug into his "Tampa 2" defensive scheme.

Seattle Seahawks Depth Chart

1. Tight End: Marcus Pollard is a free agent but he was just a stop gap anyway so they will need to bring in someone who can be an effective blocker as well as a dynamic weapon in the passing game.

2. Offensive Line: Right guard Chris Gray is pushing 40-years-old and even though they have recently invested in some youngsters nobody has really stepped up and established themselves just yet.

3. Running Back: Julius Jones is okay but he is not the type of guy who can carry the load and with Shaun Alexander out of the picture it may be time to bring in a true stud and workhorse at the position.

Green Bay Packers Depth Chart

1. Cornerback: Al Harris and Charles Woodson are about as good of a starting combo as there is in the league but there is essentially nothing behind them and that lack of depth is a pretty major issue.

2. Safety: Despite investing a number of draft picks on the position in recent years they still have issues alongside Nick Collins and the fact that Atari Bigby was starting for them in 2007 speaks volumes.

3. Offensive Tackle: Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher aren't getting any younger and there really is not a lot of depth behind them so it may be time for the Cheeseheads to start looking toward the future.

I don't see TT picking a RB in the first round.

PACKERS FOREVER!

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Bigby wasn't that bad. He had some bad games, but overall he was far from a liability. He made plays, and didn't get torched (ala Roman and Manuel) all that much.

Lurker64
04-16-2008, 01:57 AM
I know you're heart's in the right place Woody, but NFLDraftCountdown.com is not the gospel, it's just one guy's opinion. Scott Wright might be more knowledgeable than the average sports fan, but he's just one person and he doesn't know as much about the Packers as some folks here do. I personally find it illuminating to look at a lot of different draft sites and read what they say, though I don't always agree with their take on the Packers.

I have to say that, for example, I disagree with his estimation of our needs. I think Offensive Guard is a much more pressing need for this team than Offensive Tackle (our current starting Guards are a Tackle and a Center). I also think that Defensive End or Tight End is a much more pressing need than Safety, since Atari Bigby is certainly serviceable and Aaron Rouse seemed promising last season. However, we have nothing really behind the starters at DE, Jenkins might be better as a DT, and KGB only has a few years left in him. Also, we have little on the roster at TE behind Lee, since Ryan Krause is nothing special and Tori Humphrey is an oft-injured enigma. At the same time though, I'm sure a lot of people here are convinced that I'm wrong in my estimation of our needs and might come up with a completely different set of the three biggest need positions.

I honestly think that if Stewart is there, Thompson will pull the trigger on him, but it's very unlikely that he's there. He's not averse to taking a quality player that falls to him even though it's not at a need position. That's why we have Aaron Rodgers as our QB after all.

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 02:51 AM
I know you're heart's in the right place Woody, but NFLDraftCountdown.com is not the gospel, it's just one guy's opinion. Scott Wright might be more knowledgeable than the average sports fan, but he's just one person and he doesn't know as much about the Packers as some folks here do. I personally find it illuminating to look at a lot of different draft sites and read what they say, though I don't always agree with their take on the Packers.

I have to say that, for example, I disagree with his estimation of our needs. I think Offensive Guard is a much more pressing need for this team than Offensive Tackle (our current starting Guards are a Tackle and a Center). I also think that Defensive End or Tight End is a much more pressing need than Safety, since Atari Bigby is certainly serviceable and Aaron Rouse seemed promising last season. However, we have nothing really behind the starters at DE, Jenkins might be better as a DT, and KGB only has a few years left in him. Also, we have little on the roster at TE behind Lee, since Ryan Krause is nothing special and Tori Humphrey is an oft-injured enigma. At the same time though, I'm sure a lot of people here are convinced that I'm wrong in my estimation of our needs and might come up with a completely different set of the three biggest need positions.

I honestly think that if Stewart is there, Thompson will pull the trigger on him, but it's very unlikely that he's there. He's not averse to taking a quality player that falls to him even though it's not at a need position. That's why we have Aaron Rodgers as our QB after all.

Lurker64:

I do look at other mocks and sites but for me NFLDraftCountdown works. I'm just confining my thoughts to round 1& 2 picks.

So for a DE.

**14. Derrick Harvey DE Florida

**16. Phillip Merling DE Clemson

** TT won't package picks #30 and #'s 56 and #60 for those fellas. No way Hose.

So he sits on #30 and reaches for a DE. A strong possibility in his personality, or ### he manages to trade down. Someone needs to call him for that to happen.

Like this fella Lurker64? ***

*** 31. Calais Campbell DE Miami (FL)

32. Aqib Talib CB Kansas (I don't like him. TT might?)

33. Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina ( Would TT? Maybe? :D )

TT possibly trading down fr. #30 to target:

### 35. Quentin Groves DE Auburn

### 37. Lawrence Jackson DE USC

I believe we're OK at TE, as Lee looked good last season and (Patler may well be right on Humphrey - injury?); so I'm thinking for the first two round picks TT certainly won't go TE. Also this TE class isn"t positioned talent wise to pick at TE early.

See 44. Dustin Keller TE Purdue the top rated TE.

I like Bigby at SS. I'm not high on Nick Collins at FS. So TT may look up at Phillips? Trade up?

There are some attractive choices at OT also in a trade up scenario.Yes I agree we have a more pressing need to pick at offensive guard but TT goes there later in the draft.

Again. See trade up to FS Phillips as a push on Nick Collins. It's an atttractive option for us.

If TT deals at #30 then the likely scenario is at CB, but I see higher risk picking there in the first. I'm with Tarlam! on this draft. Go with the stud by trading up.

Look at the possibilities through trading up Lurker64:

17. Mike Jenkins CB South Florida

18. Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh

19. Kenny Phillips S Miami (FL)

20. Devin Thomas WR Michigan St.

21. Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College

22. Limas Sweed WR Texas

23. Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt

24. DeSean Jackson WR California

25. Brian Brohm QB Louisville

I'm not really excited at at what TT will have at #30 Lurker64 (except for) a possible DE.

So let's get real. We are talking TT here, right.

TT is not the type to act aggressively as I've studied him. He loves to trade down. Play the numbers game. Allow for our coaching staff to develop his picks. Be patient.

He's very slow off the mark. I hope he's become a better Poker player styled NFL GM. He knows when to go for it. Not play it too safe.

For this draft I hope he shows me a different TT. I keep hoping. :)

I want TT to trade up. Package the #30 and one of his second round picks. Land a solid prospect.

OK? :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Guiness
04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
It would certainly be interesting if Stewart was still on the board...more interesting though if Cason was still there as well, and this draft has him available at #30 as well.

I know the whole BPA thing, but it certainly seems we have a more pressing need at Nickle than we do at RB, so if two players that grade out near each other are available, I think that would have an impact.

Would Dallas take Jamaal Charles over Stewart?

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Bigby wasn't that bad. He had some bad games, but overall he was far from a liability. He made plays, and didn't get torched (ala Roman and Manuel) all that much.

He's a really exciting player Harvey. He overextends himself at times but he'll mature.

At least he's in the game. Nick Collins, Uhhh!! :D

PACKERS FOREVER.

The Leaper
04-16-2008, 08:04 AM

I think the notion of taking a safety is in relation to Collins, not Bigby. Collins is nearing the end of his deal, and hasn't exactly proven he is worth keeping long term.

NFL draft countdown apparently doesn't recognize that.

Packnut
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
While I agree with Harv that Bigby is a "step up" from what we had, I still don't think that is saying very much. Yeah, we all love him cause he laid a couple of guys out but he still has little ability in coverage.

When we have Popp, Bigby and Collins on the field, we have 3 guys who have severe difficulty in coverage. It is to big a weakness to hide and I can guarentee that defensive coaches who are gonna play us this season are chomping at the bit to exploit it.

Saftey has been a weakness for how long now? May-be Rouse is the answer. Collins is a bust but I'm sure he'll get another wasted season to prove that wrong. The importance of the saftey position had changed and evolved over the last few seasons.

I sure as hell hope that position is FINALLY addressed early in this draft......

The Leaper
04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't see how only 3 CBs get taken in the 1st round...but I suppose the depth at the position could cause teams to think they can still get something in the 2nd round.

If only 3 CBs are off the board, I would expect that TT would see a lot of value in the CBs still on the board...and would know that many would fly off the board in the 2nd round before his next pick.

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Lurker64:

I do look at other mocks and sites but for me NFLDraftCountdown works. I'm just confining my thoughts to round 1& 2 picks.

So for a DE.

**14. Derrick Harvey DE Florida

**16. Phillip Merling DE Clemson

** TT won't package picks #30 and #'s 56 and #60 for those fellas. No way Hose.

So he sits on #30 and reaches for a DE. A strong possibility in his personality, or ### he manages to trade down. Someone needs to call him for that to happen.

Like this fella Lurker64? ***

*** 31. Calais Campbell DE Miami (FL)

32. Aqib Talib CB Kansas (I don't like him. TT might?)

33. Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina ( Would TT? Maybe? :D )

TT possibly trading down fr. #30 to target:

### 35. Quentin Groves DE Auburn

### 37. Lawrence Jackson DE USC

I believe we're OK at TE, as Lee looked good last season and (Patler may well be right on Humphrey - injury?); so I'm thinking for the first two round picks TT certainly won't go TE. Also this TE class isn"t positioned talent wise to pick at TE early.

See 44. Dustin Keller TE Purdue the top rated TE.

I like Bigby at SS. I'm not high on Nick Collins at FS. So TT may look up at Phillips? Trade up?

There are some attractive choices at OT also in a trade up scenario.Yes I agree we have a more pressing need to pick at offensive guard but TT goes there later in the draft.

Again. See trade up to FS Phillips as a push on Nick Collins. It's an atttractive option for us.

If TT deals at #30 then the likely scenario is at CB, but I see higher risk picking there in the first. I'm with Tarlam! on this draft. Go with the stud by trading up.

Look at the possibilities through trading up Lurker64:

17. Mike Jenkins CB South Florida

18. Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh

19. Kenny Phillips S Miami (FL)

20. Devin Thomas WR Michigan St.

21. Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College

22. Limas Sweed WR Texas

23. Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt

24. DeSean Jackson WR California

25. Brian Brohm QB Louisville

I'm not really excited at at what TT will have at #30 Lurker64 (except for) a possible DE.

So let's get real. We are talking TT here, right.

TT is not the type to act aggressively as I've studied him. He loves to trade down. Play the numbers game. Allow for our coaching staff to develop his picks. Be patient.

He's very slow off the mark. I hope he's become a better Poker player styled NFL GM. He knows when to go for it. Not play it too safe.

For this draft I hope he shows me a different TT. I keep hoping. :)

I want TT to trade up. Package the #30 and one of his second round picks. Land a solid prospect.

OK? :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

I would be quite elated if TT were to grab Dustin Keller with one of his second round picks. I like Donald Lee, but Dustin Keller could beat him out for the starting job and we'd be deadly either way in a 2 TE set. We'd have both players locked up for 3-4 years. Talk about weapons... who do you focus on when you have 2 Pro Bowl caliber WR's, 2 TE's that can both stretch the field, and a productive RB like Ryan Grant?

I also would like to see him trade up in the first round, but not packaging one of our second round picks to do so. They could package #30 with thier 3rd round pick #91 to move up into the upper 20's. That pick's salary hit won't be too great, but more importantly it would preserve both #56 and #60 - both of which I'd like to keep. 3 picks in the top 60 is extremely valuable. A higher first round pick plus just one second round pick is not as valuable as having 3 picks in the first two rounds IMO. The improvement in talent from #30 to #15 isn't enough to justify losing a second round pick altogether. I wouldn't like to play the numbers game when the additional picks come at lower rounds, but the numbers work greatly in our favor when the additional picks come in the first two rounds.

They could package #56 and #60 to move up in the second round, but I'd only be for that if they were targeting a specific player who could help the team right away and likely wouldn't be around at #56.

Hopefully they can get a cornerback in the first round without dealing one of thier second round picks. Then in the second round I'd like them to grab either Dustin Keller or Fred Davis, both of which I think could compete with Donald Lee for the starting TE job. Again, even if they don't win the job they would allow us to go 2 TE's and both TE's would have the ability to stretch the field - keeping the safeties back in coverage which would help our running game as well. With thier other 2nd round pick I'd like to see them get an OT or an OG to provide depth to an injury prone line. Each of these positions are in need of a player who can play at a pro level in thier rookie seasons, and the odds are against finding one in the later rounds.

DonHutson
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Did we NEED a QB the year we took Rodgers? Did we NEED a DT last year? Not really on both counts. Stewart is a top 20 talent or better. Assuming Ted sees him that way (and who knows if that's true) and assuming the Packers cleared him medically, it seems almost silly not to take him.

Needs change unpredictably all the time. If Grant blows a knee in preseason and Will Blackmon stays healthy, then what do we need?

If Stewart was only a little better than any of the CB's likely to be available you could talk me into the CB. But the CB's likely to be available (Flowers, Cason) are borderline picks at #30 anyway. It wouldn't shock me at all to see Ted go in a different direction, be it Stewart, or Calais Campbell, or an OL, or whatever.

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Did we NEED a QB the year we took Rodgers? Did we NEED a DT last year? Not really on both counts. Stewart is a top 20 talent or better. Assuming Ted sees him that way (and who knows if that's true) and assuming the Packers cleared him medically, it seems almost silly not to take him.

Needs change unpredictably all the time. If Grant blows a knee in preseason and Will Blackmon stays healthy, then what do we need?

If Stewart was only a little better than any of the CB's likely to be available you could talk me into the CB. But the CB's likely to be available (Flowers, Cason) are borderline picks at #30 anyway. It wouldn't shock me at all to see Ted go in a different direction, be it Stewart, or Calais Campbell, or an OL, or whatever.

We already have Wynn, Morency, Jackson and Grant already on the roster. Grant showed quite clearly last season that he is capable of being a starter at this level, and B-Jax showed flashes twoards the end of the season that have me believing in him too.

TT has used 3 draft picks on RB's in 2 years, including this years 6th we dealt to New York for Ryan Grant. I guess this is the biggest reason I don't see him taking a RB in the first round. Even if Stewart was the BPA at #30, if TT felt he could get a Cason or a Flowers or a King by trading down 10 spots or so, I think he'd do that before using #30 on a RB.

Out of curiosity, is there something you don't like about Cason that you would consider him borderline? I personally love the kid, and think he'll fit perfectly into the man to man press coverage we play here.

DonHutson
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
We already have Wynn, Morency, Jackson and Grant already on the roster. Grant showed quite clearly last season that he is capable of being a starter at this level, and B-Jax showed flashes twoards the end of the season that have me believing in him too.

The Midol Twins (Morency and Wynn) do nothing for me. Grant was very good in his half season. I agree that he should be solid. I don't think he offered much in the passing game, so Stewart would be a more complete back. Jackson had his moments, but hasn't proven anything. You could argue that Blackmon and Tramon Williams have shown more at CB than Jackson has at RB. So yeah, I agree it's not a big need. It's also a high attrition position and three good RB's is not too many.

Even if Stewart was the BPA at #30, if TT felt he could get a Cason or a Flowers or a King by trading down 10 spots or so, I think he'd do that before using #30 on a RB.

I would be fine with that. That seems like a better spot for those guys. Assuming you can find someone to trade up, of course.

Out of curiosity, is there something you don't like about Cason that you would consider him borderline? I personally love the kid, and think he'll fit perfectly into the man to man press coverage we play here.

Not really. He sounds like a nice kid with good leadership skills. That's great. That's about the only thing I've seen a real consensus on. Some people say solid first rounder, some late second. Some say man up cover guy, some say he's better for a zone. I've seen Flowers listed more often as a tough in your face cover guy, he's just short. I wouldn't be upset with either of those guys at #30, but I'd be a little skeptical that we reached a little. Trade back, grab one of them and a 3rd rounder, that makes me feel a lot better.

KYPack
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM

TT has used 3 draft picks on RB's in 2 years, including this years 6th we dealt to New York for Ryan Grant. I guess this is the biggest reason I don't see him taking a RB in the first round. Even if Stewart was the BPA at #30, if TT felt he could get a Cason or a Flowers or a King by trading down 10 spots or so, I think he'd do that before using #30 on a RB.

Hey Gunakor.

I remember you now. You were a guy I used to agree with a lot on JSO.

\& I agree with most of this. I think if Stewart trickled down to us, TT'd pull the trigger. But that probably won't happen. I don't think a CB is a lock, but unless somebody big slides, we won't get an RB with our first pick

cheesner
04-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Yes, we needed a QB when we took Rodgers. BF did not decide to come back until after the draft. TT didn't know at the time if he was looking for a new starting QB or not.

DonHutson
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Yes, we needed a QB when we took Rodgers. BF did not decide to come back until after the draft. TT didn't know at the time if he was looking for a new starting QB or not.

Favre announced his return in early March in '05, after the start of FA but well before the draft.

I didn't have a problem with the Rodgers pick at the time, but a lot of fans wanted a "need" filled instead.

cheesner
04-16-2008, 07:16 PM

Favre announced his return in early March in '05, after the start of FA but well before the draft.

I didn't have a problem with the Rodgers pick at the time, but a lot of fans wanted a "need" filled instead.

My mistake if that is the case. However, my point would still hold as TT has to be thinking that it could be Favre's last season. QB is certainly one position that you don't want to be caught without a good option.

The Leaper
04-17-2008, 07:35 AM

QB was still a need in 2005. Doug Peterson was not a capable long term answer behind Favre...and Favre's retirement was certainly drawing near. Rodgers filled an area of need in 2005.

Lurker64
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
The thing is, though, that Thompson has shown that he will spend early picks on future needs. We didn't need another QB in 2005, but we needed one after it so he snagged Rodgers. We didn't need another DT last year, but Thompson anticipated that he wouldn't be able to resign Williams for anything close to reasonable so he snagged Harrell. I appreciate this about him actually, it's better than "We didn't get good TE play last year so I need to draft 19 TEs" in most cases.