PDA

View Full Version : For what it's worth

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Packer chatters latest rumor has the Packers interested in drafting Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. I think it is a huge, longshot for this to take place with the talent that already exists at the LB position. Hawk,Hodge,Manning,Barnett,Poppinga form a decent group imo.

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Ahmad Brooks was an incredible talent before injuries. Also heard he's not a good person. But if healthy he's 1-2nd round talent, which to me makes him a no brainer as a round 3 pick and a debateable #2.

Partial
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Except he was thrown off his team, and is 290 lbs right now. Perhaps he can be the solution we've craved at DE :lol:

SD GB fan
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
if he can play DE i wudnt mind giving up a 3rd round for him. seeing how TT does drafts, he get that pick back plus more next season.

but, seriously, we do not need any more LBs.

Partial
05-31-2006, 08:17 PM
when there is a guy that for awhile many scouts thought was a better prospect then mr. hawk, its generallly worth the gamble. It'll be interesting to see who takes him.

gbpackfan
05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Boom or bust risk. Will have to be a DE. I just don't see the need to take a risk at LB when we are now, amazingly, so deep at the position.

Barnett
Hawk
Manning - who looked good at the OTA today.
Hodge
Taylor
Campbell
Popps
White
etc.

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I dind't know he was up to 290; youch.

But I don't buy the we're two strong at LB take.

We have Barnett and Hawk who I'm comfortable with as starters. I think Hodge will develop into one. Ben Taylor is average and in reality it would be nice if he was our backup at a few positions instead of the starter.

Manning, Poppinga, and the rest can go in a kettle and any that amounts to an adequate backup would be a bonus.

red
05-31-2006, 09:12 PM
i've said a few times on packerchatters that we should take the guy as a DE. he's in the 260's i think i read, 268 i think it was. i would keep him there and make him a monster do it all DE. thats 20 pounds heavier then kgb was last year with the same quickness, but with the ability to stop the run

IMO the guy is absolutely worth a second rounder. if it wasn't for some pretty bad injuries last year he would have been a top 5 pick in this draft. so to me a second rounder is an absolute bargain

and don't believe a word out of the guys mouth that said this was inside info. his "sources" have been wrong on almost everything. i have the same sources as him, they're all those annoying voices in my head that won't shut up while i'm trying to type. he calls them his inside info, i just call them my friends

Partial
05-31-2006, 09:14 PM
nice to see you here red!!

red
05-31-2006, 09:18 PM

thanks, glad to be here

Rastak
05-31-2006, 09:19 PM

thanks, glad to be here

ditto, good to see ya.....

red
05-31-2006, 09:24 PM

thanks, glad to be here

ditto, good to see ya.....

who let the queen in?

j/k

this place is great, its like js online, but without all the posters i hated

but back on the subject, i did read today that brooks has been working out and is down to 268, i think he played around 265 or 260. and theres guys like urlacher that are over 260. so he isn't that out of shape right now

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Red,

Nice to see you in here; I've only read briefly about Brooks. And I agree he has 2nd round talent easily; really if healthy he was mid round 1 talent.
But character issues will scare away TT and other conservative teams. I'd be surprised if TT uses a 2nd but I think some team should.

B

chain_gang
05-31-2006, 09:39 PM
No doubt Bretsky about the character issues, my guess is the bengals take him. However I think he'd be worth some serious consideration by Green Bay. Never want to pass a player that can be a star.

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry guys but if healthy, Brooks was thought to be the number one prospect by many at the LB position in this draft. Injuries and character are his red flags, that's all :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Nobody knows if he would have shaken out as the #1 LB prospect. Wasn't Greg Eslinger supposed to be 2nd round pick four months ago? What about Ernest Shazor last year? LenDale White? He didn't go through the all-star games, combine workouts, interview process.

Bretsky
05-31-2006, 10:13 PM
I must admit that watching Brooks reminded me of Odell Thurman. Smash mouth football player as well.

I still say TT takes a pass due to character issues.

b bulldog
05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
No kidding but he was thought to be that. Just stating that, no reason to feel offended.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-31-2006, 11:26 PM
i watched him play alot in college, and he looks like a stud and would 100% start on our d. And so what if he has character problems, it seems every1 has a problem nowadays. at least we will get a couple years from him and then can tarde him for a pick :smile:

swede
05-31-2006, 11:37 PM
The expansion draft allows teams to consider a limited pool of players and pass on opportunities to select players until they get to the round that matches a team's perceived value of a player, correct? That pick will then be charged to them in the 2007 draft, right?

So, if we were to have an interest in Brooks, couldn't we pick him up early in the 2nd round of the expansion draft but only lose a mid-2nd round next season because of our improved record in 2006?

Besides Wahle, have we ever picked up any solid contributors from the expansion draft?

Deputy Nutz
05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Brooks almost came out his sophomore year of college, where he would have been a legit 2nd round pick, if not a top 25 pick in the 2005 draft. He decided to stay in school, wreck his knee, and then get thrown off the team. I think he is either taken by a team that runs the 3-4 in round two of the expansion draft, or he drops to the third round, maybe even the fourth round. He is really immature. I mean the guy is 268 pounds, I bet he nails his forty at about 4.9, if he is lucky. I think his best years are already behind him.

Partial
05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
To put things in perspective for those who have never seen this guy play, he is a nasty dude. A freakish, Urlacher/Hawk caliber prospect/athlete in his prime. This guy returned kickoffs for Virginia, and I believe he did a few punts as well. He played around 250 I believe, and most scouts said he was a faster version of Ray Lewis with the same nasty attitude.

Harlan Huckleby
06-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Can he play the run? I am always looking to replace KGB.

Partial
06-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Can he play the run? I am always looking to replace KGB.

my thoughts exactly!

b bulldog
06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Scouts said he was a faster,bigger version of Ray Lewis. He did return punts and he also played some TE. If his weight gets back down to 255, he may be our best LB.

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
The guy has issues with motivation. Which will be hard for him to get back in shape, properly rehab his knee, and get back under 260 pounds.

He is a very talented kid, but I wouldn't waste a 3rd round pick on him just yet. He has a lot to prove.

Tony Oday
06-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Im done with character issue guys. I would rather have a team of solid good guys that play as a team.

If he comes in and is humble and blows TT away on the interview well take the shot he has the talent but man I dont want another bitchy player.

pacfan
06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Great song, BTW.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-01-2006, 10:52 AM
for any1 that doesnt think brooks is a beast, check this out............its crazy

http://www.ejbdotcom.net/content/2804.html

red
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
for any1 that doesnt think brooks is a beast, check this out............its crazy

http://www.ejbdotcom.net/content/2804.html

WOW

looks like something arrington would do in college

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
IMHP hes a 1st rounder.