PDA

View Full Version : Lito Sheppard... the future?

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I know I'm really new here and my opinion probably doesn't matter that much yet, but I've thought a lot about it and watched how Sheppard plays CB. If we could get him for a 3rd or so, would it be worth it to trade for him? Make a trend of stealing stud corners from the Eagles like we did with Harris? I think that it would be a great option. He's only 27 and solves our future at CB.

Then in the draft we could draft... wait I'm not even going to predict it... TT is too hard to call... we'll probably draft a kicker :shock: :lol:

MadtownPacker
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
It doesn't matter if you are new. Besides Im sick of all these clowns opinions anyways.

Harris was traded for a 2nd so I would have to say hell yes to this trade. Isnt that about the same age Harris was when he came to the Pack?

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I know I'm really new here and my opinion probably doesn't matter that much yet

I've been on here for three years, and my opinion still doesn't matter at all. You'll have to get used to it.

I'd be for it, but I wonder how happy Sheppard would be to play third fiddle until Wood or Al retires.

GoPackGo
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM

I've been on here for three years, and my opinion still doesn't matter at all. You'll have to get used to it.

I'd be for it, but I wonder how happy Sheppard would be to play third fiddle until Wood or Al retires.

Thats not true Harvey, you are one of my favorite posters

MadtownPacker
04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd be for it, but I wonder how happy Sheppard would be to play third fiddle until Wood or Al retires.You really think he cant wait 6 or 8 months?

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah I think we got Harris at 27ish... Maybe 28. It would be great because Sheppard could play nickel for a year and then give us options next year depending how how Harris and Woodson play. I think that although I love Harris, I think he's only got another year in him, if that. With this trade we would have a good to great, fairly young, corner waiting in the bullpen.

MadtownPacker
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Shit, he would get plenty of action as the #3. Doesn't Al move over on a lot of plays?

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I think he'd fit nicely into our defense. I'm not convinced that this is either Al's or Charles' last season though, which means he could end up playing more than just this one season at nickel. I'd still be all for it for a 3rd, but I don't know if Philadelphia would deal him for just a 3rd. I'd imagine they could get a second at least if they wanted to. Sheppard is a very good cornerback.

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I thought it was woodson who covers the slot, I could be wrong, but I thought that's why in the dallas game the slot guy rocked us all night long, cuz our nickel had to actually cover the slot.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I thought it was woodson who covers the slot, I could be wrong, but I thought that's why in the dallas game the slot guy rocked us all night long, cuz our nickel had to actually cover the slot.

Wood does cover the slot. All I remember is Al getting rocked that night. I forgotten whether the slot guy also got rocked.

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Wood does cover the slot. All I remember is Al getting rocked that night. I forgotten whether the slot guy also got rocked.

Woodson was inactive for the Dallas game nursing his toe injury. If I remember correctly, Jarrett Bush was on the slot reciever and Tramon Williams was on the flanker opposite T.O. All I remember was a horrible attempt by that secondary to play zone coverage.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
It does sound like a good deal. Harris, of course, wasn't even a starter for the Eagles when we got him. Getting Sheppard for a 3rd instead of a second is very good.

Two things I'd like to know, though:

What is his contract situation? If he's just a hired gun with one year left, then maybe it isn't such a good deal.

And, did this trade idea merely come out of your head, idpf, or is there some sort of a rumor going around about it?

red
04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
i think the eagles are looking for a first, so it would probably take a second

which IMO still isn't bad

the problem i have is that he isn't that much younger then what we have. by the time harris retires in 2 or 3 years shepard will be 30ish and woodson would be about ready to go. then you figure lito might only have 3 or four more years at that point

do we take him, and will he play backup? or do we take a chance on a younger guy and hope he's ready in a few years?

tuff call

i think lito might want a top dollar deal though when he's traded seeings how he is one of the better cb's in the nfl

would TT be willing to pony up?

sheepshead
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Funny..you come across as some sort of authority figure.

I have been intrigued by this since I first heard his name a few weeks ago. I hope TT's on the phone.

DonHutson
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Sheppard wouldn't play second fiddle to Harris and Woodson until they retire. He'd play second fiddle until he beats one of them out for their job. Hopefully he'd come in with the attitude that that day comes soon.

Even with one of our 2nd round picks, this would be an OK trade. He's already a borderline Pro Bowl caliber guy.

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
i think the eagles are looking for a first, so it would probably take a second

which IMO still isn't bad

the problem i have is that he isn't that much younger then what we have. by the time harris retires in 2 or 3 years shepard will be 30ish and woodson would be about ready to go. then you figure lito might only have 3 or four more years at that point

do we take him, and will he play backup? or do we take a chance on a younger guy and hope he's ready in a few years?

tuff call

i think lito might want a top dollar deal though when he's traded seeings how he is one of the better cb's in the nfl

would TT be willing to pony up?

I think this move would be very helpful in the short term, considering that CB is one of the more well stocked positions at the top of this years draft. They could bring in Sheppard to eventually replace whoever retires/loses his job first. Then they could draft a guy early this year to replace the other. They would have 3 or 4 years then to find another quality cornerback to eventually replace Sheppard. Our future CB issue would be solved with relatively little pressure on TT to find that can't miss 1st year starter in a draft. I would be all for this trade if it could be had with one of our 2nd round picks, but I wouldn't give up a first for him (which is what the Iggles are asking for if I am hearing correctly).

KYPack
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Lito would ba a great acquisition.

He's a top hand. Does it all & does it well.

If we got him, he's good enough to take Al's job.

Here's 2007 salary:

Sheppard, Lito

Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position
2007 Eagles $ 1,500,000 $ 0 $ 101,920 $ 1,501,920 $ 2,226,920 CB

That ain't hateful, but I don't know Lito's 2008 situation.

I just think trading 3's is against TT's religion. If they did anything it would be near the draft or right after. I think Al would go nuts and the price (draft pick wise) is too high for us.

This one would have about a 5% chance of happening, if that.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Lito is probably better than Al at this point, but you do have to worry about what Al and Wood would think of a move to bring in a starting corner--and not just a prospect. Sheppard is looking to get paid, so if a team acquires him, they won't be getting that contract. They'd have to redo his deal.

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Lito would ba a great acquisition.

He's a top hand. Does it all & does it well.

If we got him, he's good enough to take Al's job.

Here's 2007 salary:

Sheppard, Lito

Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position
2007 Eagles $ 1,500,000 $ 0 $ 101,920 $ 1,501,920 $ 2,226,920 CB

That ain't hateful, but I don't know Lito's 2008 situation.

I just think trading 3's is against TT's religion. If they did anything it would be near the draft or right after. I think Al would go nuts and the price (draft pick wise) is too high for us.

This one would have about a 5% chance of happening, if that.

I would factor in Lito's age (26 years) and a time line for his possible service for us. I think if we study it that TT has as good a track record (likely better) acquiring a talented FA.

Lito Sheppard was drafted #26 in round one (2002) and a two time Pro Bowler (2004 and 2006). He's a playmaker, a big play man as well.

I'd grab him for a third in a heart beat. $ Can't be an issue. TT and I are not at all alike. I wanted to win yesterday. TT was somewhere else. Yesterday now unrealistic - moot. Yesterday IS GONE!! :D

To TT:

This isn't a season for TT to panic and he never will. :D He'll just lay it down in 2008 to get a realistic picture of where we are post Favre. I imagine a lot of us fans are right there as well.

This will be a cool year to assess the team.

Lito Sheppard and Al Harris = redundancy.

Packers Forever

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 04:37 PM
It is an idea out of my head... Read the ESPN article posted today on Sheppard (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3348705) and the gears started turning.

In my eyes, most teams want more than they end up getting for players. They always see the player as worth more than they actually are, i.e. Raiders last year wanting a 1st or a 2nd for moss, and ended up settling for a 4th, so talking the eagles down from a 1st if that's really what they want shouldn't be impossible.

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 04:41 PM

I have been intrigued by this since I first heard his name a few weeks ago. I hope TT's on the phone.

Haha... I'm just a poor college kid... I have pretty literally no authority... I'm just a humble kid who didn't want to rub people the wrong way on a new forum, another forum I was on for mock drafts was pretty elitist, so I tried a new approach to my first thread posting.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Haha... I'm just a poor college kid... I have pretty literally no authority... I'm just a humble kid who didn't want to rub people the wrong way on a new forum, another forum I was on for mock drafts was pretty elitist, so I tried a new approach to my first thread posting.

He is not talking about you, he is talking about Harvey.

idpackerfan
04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
oh lol... i kinda missed the second quote... oops... sry harvey, didn't mean to steal your thunder :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Fuckin noobs. :roll:

He is not talking about you, he is talking about Harvey.

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah I think we got Harris at 27ish... Maybe 28. It would be great because Sheppard could play nickel for a year and then give us options next year depending how how Harris and Woodson play. I think that although I love Harris, I think he's only got another year in him, if that. With this trade we would have a good to great, fairly young, corner waiting in the bullpen.

He's a two time Pro Bowler. He's only 26 year's old.

He's a playmaker.

We need a CB in the worst way as Blackmon isn't proving out and who else is?

Ahhhh. :D Lito Sheppard = a YES!! TT

PACKERS FOREVER!

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
oh lol... i kinda missed the second quote... oops... sry harvey, didn't mean to steal your thunder :wink:

You can have my thunder... and my lightning.

woodbuck27
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM

He's a playmaker.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Of course that means a NO! :D

sharpe1027
04-16-2008, 05:29 PM

He's a playmaker.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Blackmon looked good for the 3 plays he was able to stay healthy. :roll:

What are the odds that our 2nd or 3rd round pick ends up being as good as Lito? Less than 50%? I'd say that's conservative. Take the odds and swing that trade, if it is available.

Packnut
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM
It's good for discussion but in reality it's a mute point. If Ted has said it once, he's said it a hundred times. Build through the draft and have improvment come from with-in.

It's not in his nature to trade his precious draft choices. In his mind, Moss was'nt woth anything more than a 4 and we all saw how that one wound up! :shock:

Gunakor
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
It's good for discussion but in reality it's a mute point. If Ted has said it once, he's said it a hundred times. Build through the draft and have improvment come from with-in.

It's not in his nature to trade his precious draft choices. In his mind, Moss was'nt woth anything more than a 4 and we all saw how that one wound up! :shock:

The difference between Sheppard and Moss is consistency. Sheppard always plays at 100%. Moss always plays at 100% when he feels like it. Sheppard is worth a second round pick IMO, and I think TT would do it except...

It's a good point about Harris' and Woodson's feelings twoard bringing in a 2 time pro bowl corner instead of a prospect. I'm quite certain both players are still very eager and very capable of starting this year. When you have Harris and Woodson who both have tenure here, then you bring in Sheppard who has been to a Super Bowl and 2 Pro Bowls as a starter, who plays nickel? There are only 2 starting cornerback positions, and with 3 starting caliber corners someone is going to be left out. I very highly doubt any of the three would be willing to do that. One of them wouldn't be happy.

It sounds like a good trade, but I doubt it happens.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I ask again, does anybody know his contract situation.

Getting Sheppard would be nice, but giving up a high draft pick and then a year or two later either losing him or having to pay Nate Clemons-type money to keep him would NOT be very nice.

red
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I ask again, does anybody know his contract situation.

Getting Sheppard would be nice, but giving up a high draft pick and then a year or two later either losing him or having to pay Nate Clemons-type money to keep him would NOT be very nice.

here tex, i found this at this site

http://www.geocities.com/eaglescap/Contract-Documentation4.html

Lito Sheppard-Sheppard signed an 8 year, $26,314,000 deal during the 2004 season that included an 8.7 mil signing bonus prorated over 6 years. As part of his rookie deal, he received a 3.4 mil signing bonus prorated over 5 years. His cap numbers are as follows:
2004: $2,610,750 (480.75K base salary+680K proration+1.45 mil proration)
2005: $2,661,000 (531K basae salary+680K proration+1.45 mil proration; $8,610,000 dead money if cut)
2006: $2,742,250 (612,250 base+680K pro.+1.45 mil proration; $6,480,000 dead money if cut)
2007: $2,450,000 (1 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $4,350,000 dead money if cut)
2008: $3,450,000 (2 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $2,900,000 dead money if cut)
2009: $4,450,000 (3 mil base salary+1.45 mil proration; $1,450,000 dead money if cut)
2010: $3,700,000 (base salary)
2011: $4,250,000 (base salary)

so if he were to be traded his new cap numbers would be

2008-2 million
2009-3 million
2010-3.7 million
2011- 4.25 million

falco
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM

thats not true - its not like ted to trade up in the draft - but i think he will trade draft picks for players if he likes them - such as ryan grant.

Bretsky
04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd find it hard to believe TT ever gives up a 1st or 2nd rounder; just my view.

I'd do a 2nd for Lito in a heartbeat.

I wonder how Al or Woody would feel about some Safety Action.

Imagine that Secondary :!:

MadtownPacker
04-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Imagine that Secondary :!:That's why this is a great move. You want winning and playoffs in '08? The D needs to shut the passing game down because the offense very likely not gonna score as much as before. TT always has a high risk move up his sleeve. Getting this guy for a 2nd would have a slight risk but a high reward. As for Chuck and Al, why should they talk shit. Woodson got big bank when he signed and Harris got love last year. I would not hold anything against TT if he did this and it didnt work out.

Scott Campbell
04-16-2008, 08:45 PM
In his mind, Moss was'nt woth anything more than a 4 and we all saw how that one wound up! :shock:

It wound up fine - to the tune of 13-3.

packers11
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
In his mind, Moss was'nt woth anything more than a 4 and we all saw how that one wound up! :shock:

I wound up fine - to the tune of 13-3.

I agree , we did end up pretty good w/out Moss... I don't think Moss could have put us over the edge in the Giants game... It was to cold out and our passing attack looked like shit (besides that 1 TD by Driver)...

The Leaper
04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
If Lito was available, there is no way that we are getting him for a 3rd round pick. Harris wasn't nearly as successful as Lito when we traded a 2nd for him.

Personally, I'd have no problem giving up our first round pick for Lito. The guy is a very good CB who has Pro Bowl capability...and is relatively young with 6+ years of service still possible. Any guy we pick in the draft at #30 overall is not going to be a slam dunk Pro Bowl caliber player, especially in the next 2-3 years. Lito is a proven player with experience to immediately impact this team.

IMO, it is SMARTER to trade your first round picks away (especially very late picks) for PROVEN talent...because as most of us have pointed out, the draft is mostly a crap shoot anyway.

We have the advantage in this situation, because we have a late 1st round pick to offer. Most teams in the top 20 picks aren't going to trade it for Lito...and Philly probably won't accept anything other than a 1st. So, we are perfectly positioned in the draft to take advantage of this situation if it becomes a possibility.

I don't care what Al or Wood think...this is a business, not a charity operation. Both Al and Wood have been paid well...and with Wood's preference for working the slot, there will be plenty of playing time for all three on this defense.

If Al has any issues, someone can just lock him in a room and let him watch Plaxico and Owens torch his ass over and over and over and over and over again last year. He doesn't have room to talk. He's not an elite CB anymore.

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 07:53 AM

He's a playmaker.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Blackmon looked good for the 3 plays he was able to stay healthy. :roll:

What are the odds that our 2nd or 3rd round pick ends up being as good as Lito? Less than 50%? I'd say that's conservative. Take the odds and swing that trade, if it is available.

Ahhh! It's too logical. :D

Why spend money on scrubs? Invest money in a player with a resume that is solid. Take some heat off the coaching staff.

Packers Forever!

Packers forever!