PDA

View Full Version : Kiper Chat 04/16/08

motife
04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Paul (San Diego ): Marvelous Mel! Any chance the G-men trade up or down from no. 31? Your latest thoughts please as to what Jerry Reese might do. Thanks mel, keep up the good work!

Mel Kiper: You always could move out of 31. But I like Tyrell Johnson out of Arkansas St. for the Giants, who has a really good skill set. They need a FS and I think that would be a very good pick for the Giants at 31.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nanji (knoxville, tn): what's your feeling about Kevin Smith and Mike Forte. If teams really want them is early second round to early?

Mel Kiper: I think it is a little early. I have Smith in the early thirds to Chicago and Forte I have in the late fourth to Indy. Both guys are very similar in size, and ability. So I would put both in the third or fourth round mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
aaron kratz (michigan): why are the lions takeing the running back out of illinois, why not a cb or lb?

Mel Kiper: I think in terms of CB and LB they are needs but they do not have a big time RB on that team, and they want to be more of a power running team this season. So They need to bring in a guy like Mendenhall if they are going to change their offensive philosophy. In the second round they can get a DE, CB, or MLB, which are all needs. They could also look at Jerod Mayo in the first round if they want to address LB early in the draft.

Andrew (NC): Mel, Dexter Jackson has been getting a lot of buzz lately. In a mediocre WR class is there any chance he moves up into the 2nd round?

Mel Kiper: I think the depth at WR is pretty good even though it might be mediocre at the top. I think he could go in the third or fourth round to a team like the Giants, Vikings, or Bears. He has average hands, but has great speed and versatility. Another knock on him is that he is not that big at 5'9 1/2.

Dale (Ocala , Fl): Hi Mel, I read an article that states that Jake Long doesn't want to play for Miami. Have you heard anything about this?

Mel Kiper: I talked to Jake Long and he sounded like he was excited about playing for Bill Parcells. Parcells sees some Jumbo Elliot in Long. I think he would be very excited to be a Dolphin. I would be shocked if that article were true.

Big J (sacramento,ca): Its bad enough that I'm a Chiefs fan, so please answer my question. Between Clady & Albert, are either one of these guys REALLY worthy of the #5 pick? Please say yes, both!

Mel Kiper: Yes I think they both are. Bredan Albert has moved up so far because he can play LT and has a great ability. The spot you mentioned would be a little high for Albert, but they can trade down. But KC needs a LT and two more OL, so they very well could go in that direction.

Jordan (Fayetteville, AR): Mel, whats the current status on Felix Jones? i'm hearing anything between 14th pick and 28th.

Mel Kiper: I think 16-22 is where he goes. I can see Arizona at 16 or Dallas at 22 taking him. I think he would be a great compliment to Marion Barber in Dallas.

Greg (Iowa): Love your work Mel! Do you think the 49ers would be reaching if they took Groves with their late 1st round pick? Thanks!

Mel Kiper: A little bit. He is more of a mid to late second round guy. Another guy who could be interesting for them is LB Cliff Avril from Purdue, who has really risen in the last few weeks.

Antoine (Dunlap): I am a big fan of Ray Rice, where do you see him going in this year's draft?

Mel Kiper: He is moving up too. I think he could be a heck of a back in this league. I see him as a second round guy who could end up in Arizona, Detroit or Chicago.

Corin (FL): Mel love the hair, but where do you find the linebacker duo from Virginia Tech Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall falling in this years draft, make me happy.

Mel Kiper: Adibi to me is not super instinctive but is very physical; I see him as a 3rd or 4th round guy. Hall is instinctive but not fast so I see him as a 5th or 6th round pick.

Mikey(Lackawanna,NY): Mel, Do you think it would be a big reach if the Bills decide to draft CB Antoine Cason with the 11th overall pick?

Mel Kiper: Huge reach. He is a second round pick. He had a very good career, but he does not have great recovery speed. He has good height, but he runs in the 4.5s which is good but not great.

kyle (atlanta): who does atlanta take at number 3?

Mel Kiper: Atlanta at three takes Dorsey and that would be an ideal fit for them. I think he is the best player in the draft.

Ricky (NC): I love Jerod Mayo from Tenn and it seems he is the #2 backer now. Do you think he fits in the 49ers scheme?

Mel Kiper: I think he does as a projection. He is not the hybrid DE/LB that they are looking for in their system, but he is a heck of a football player. He is very versatile. He is not perfect for SF but he can play inside or outside. I do think he is a perfect fit for Detroit.

JD Oxford, Oh: Who are the Dolphins taking with their two second round picks?

Mel Kiper: With the first one I would go with the DE Jackson from USC, or DL Marcus Harrison for Arkansas. Then with the second second rounder you could see them going with Cason.

Mike (CT): Mel, I just have a good feeling about Joe Flacco being one of the next great QBs in the league. Who do you think gets him and when?

Mel Kiper: I think he could end up in Atlanta if they trade to get back in the late first round, and Washington will be looking to move out of the 21 spot, so that they could make a perfect trade partner. I could also see Baltimore trading down for him, if Ryan is gone. So you could see teams either trading up or down in order to grab Flacco.

Gina (SF): Can you please expain to me why everyone says the Eagles will trade Lito Sheppard and then use their 1st round pick on a CB? Why not keep Lito and draft a different need?

Mel Kiper: There has been talk, but if Sheppard moved on you would have Brown working with Samuel. That would leave a hole at nickle with Joe Celio Hanson filling in. So they would need to draft a corner. But their major needs before CB are OT, WR, FS, DT.

RICK (MN): Derrick Harvey to Minnesota would be a dream! What are the odds of it happening?

Mel Kiper: I would say 50-50. He could go as high as 11 to Buffalo or 13 to Carolina, or 16 to Arizona. You could also see some team moving up to get him. He is a fluid first round guy. He could be there at 17 though.

Roger (Hillsboro, Oregon): Which round do you think Ali Highsmith will go?

Mel Kiper: I would say the 5th round. He did not run well at the combine, but had a good year at LSU. I see him going in the fifth.

S (SF): Mel, Mario Manningham had some ups and downs recently. Bad workout at the combine, good workout on campus, and that interview thing... Where do you see him go in this year's draft?

Mel Kiper: I would say the second or third round. His competition in the second round will be Jordy Nelson, Early Doucet, and Andre Caldwell. So there will be competition. I say he is a second or third round guy.

Antoine (Gastonia): Where do you see John David Booty going in this years draft?

Mel Kiper: I see him as a third or fourth round guy, going to Chicago or Green Bay. I think he will be one of the steals of the draft. I think he is the next Chad Pennington.

KJ (New York ): Do you think the cowboys have any chance at getting darren mcfadden??

Mel Kiper: You never say never, but it will be tough. Jerry Jones, however, has seemed to love McFadden since day one. Although I have them taking the other Razorback RB Felix Jones.

Rick (Cincinnati): When do you have the Bengals taking a WR? Who might they be looking at?

Mel Kiper: They have to look at the second round, for a guy like Limas Sweed from Texas or Jordy Nelson, or maybe Mario Manningham from Michigan. They could also take a look at Lavelle Hawkins from Cal, or Donnie Avery from Houston. There are plenty of guys in the second or third round they could consider.

Lane (Kukuihaele, HI): Will Curtis Lofton be available when the Patriots draft in the second round?

Mel Kiper: Yes I think he will be. He is a good football player and ran better at his individual workout. He had a great year for the Sooners.

Pops: Mel. isn't it unfair for many people to keep bashing Dan Connor as unathletic?

Mel Kiper: I would not say it's not fair. When you look at him he gives you some options, and he had a great career at Penn State. But he needs to be protected by DL. He cannot get caught up in traffic. If he can be protected I think he can have a nice NFL Career. I see him as a second round guy.

James, WI: Mel, what are the Packers needs and who do they take with thier 1st round pick?

Mel Kiper: They do not have a ton of needs, which will allow them to draft the best player left on the board (something they really like doing). They could use an extra CB, an OG, or a TE. They also may draft a QB in the third or fourth round. Another position they will look at a Punter, in the fifth or sixth round; and they would then consider Mike Dragosavich from North Dakota State.

Mel Kiper: Appreciate all the questions! I'll be back for the final predraft chat at noon next week! See you then!

LL2
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I think the Pack are in a good position this year to draft best player available at every pick. TT has done a good job filling the roster, and there is nothing better than going with the BPA to keep the roster stocked.