PDA

View Full Version : packers looking at malcolm kelly, yeah, that turd

red
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
yuck, guy seems like a complete jackass

from PFT

KELLY TIMED IN 4.63
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2008, 5:07 p.m.

Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, whose last workout was the subject of much scrutiny, had another workout today in Norman, Oklahoma.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, Kelly ran 40-yard dashes timed at 4.63 seconds and 4.65 seconds “on what the scouts considered to be a fast track.”

Kelly had previously run in 4.68 seconds and 4.75 seconds on what he felt was a slow track.

Today Kelly also did the short shuttle, finishing in 4.15 seconds, the three-cone drill, finishing in 6.83 seconds, and the 225-pound bench press, completing 14 reps.

Brandt reports that three teams — the Browns, Packers and Giants — had representatives on hand. In addition to running the 40, Kelly caught passes from former Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch, and Brandt reports that he “looked good catching the ball,” grabbing 21 of the 22 catchable passes Crouch threw him.

Lurker64
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
They noticed our scout was there, that means that apparently we won't be drafting him or they sent a scout not yet versed in the ninja arts of invisibility. We usually don't draft the guys that the media reports we're interested in, I wouldn't sweat it.

At the same time though, TT and his folks are pretty good at scouting WRs. If they like him, I might be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

packers11
04-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd rather trade our first rounder to get Chad Johnson then pick some douchebag that thinks he can run a 4.2 if he keeps trying...

falco
04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I'd rather trade our first rounder to get Chad Johnson then pick some douchebag that thinks he can run a 4.2 if he keeps trying...

i think you're looking at more than a 1st rounder for chad - especially more than our first rounder.

packers11
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM

i think you're looking at more than a 1st rounder for chad - especially more than our first rounder.

Did you see his recent comments??? Look in the other topic... He just pulled a Javon :lol: ... The bridges are burning quickly...

red
04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
i wouldn't want chad at this point either

DonHutson
04-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe our scouts were really there to take a look at Eric Crouch.

:shock:

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice 5th round pick.

RashanGary
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
The Packers havn't been anywhere near the guy I like, James Hardy. He's still a possiblity.

packers11
04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
the story just gets better and better...

pft.com

KELLY’S P.R. TEAM CHURNS OUT DIFFERENT NUMBERS
Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2008, 11:08 p.m.
Earlier in the day, MDS (who filled in more than capably, as usual, while yours truly had to pretend to be a lawyer) posted a story regarding the NFL.com numbers from Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelley’s mulligan second workout in Norman.

Kelly’s P.R. people sent us a separate set of numbers, which conflicts with the data from NFL.com.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com reports that Kelly ran the 40 in 4.63 and 4.65 seconds on the Astroturf at the Sooners’ indoor track facility. Kelly’s P.R. people say that he ran a “range of 4.46 to 4.61.”

Slight difference.

There was a smaller discrepancy in the numbers for the short shuttle and the three-cone drill.

The reason for the differences isn’t clear. If Brandt’s numbers are right, the 4.63 to 4.65 seconds on Astroturf arguably is even worse than the 4.68 to 4.75 second that he ran on FieldTurf last week.

Kelly is meeting this week with the Redskins, Cowboys, and 49ers.

red
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
i suppose gil brandt will get the blame for the slow times this time around

i would remove him from my draft board right about now

falco
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
i suppose gil brandt will get the blame for the slow times this time around

i would remove him from my draft board right about now

if he was running the stopwatch maybe...guy is a fossil

Fritz
04-17-2008, 06:46 AM

I'm getting confused here. Red called the guy a "turd" but you say he's a "douchebag."

Well, which is it? And if you were ranking players based on their character, which is worse: turd or douchebag?

falco
04-17-2008, 07:08 AM

I'm getting confused here. Red called the guy a "turd" but you say he's a "douchebag."

Well, which is it? And if you were ranking players based on their character, which is worse: turd or douchebag?

i'm not sure, but i know turdbag is worse than both

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
They noticed our scout was there, that means that apparently we won't be drafting him or they sent a scout not yet versed in the ninja arts of invisibility. We usually don't draft the guys that the media reports we're interested in, I wouldn't sweat it.

At the same time though, TT and his folks are pretty good at scouting WRs. If they like him, I might be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Malcolm Kelly Height: 6-33/4 | Weight: 224 | 40-Time: 4.68

Official Bio

Strengths:

Excellent size and bulk with long arms...Smooth athlete...Great ball skills and body control...Big, reliable hands...Aggressive and goes after the ball...Is strong, tough and physical...An above average route runner...Good footwork...Works the middle and holds onto the ball after a big hit....A weapon in the redzone...Terrific blocker.

Weaknesses:

Lacks ideal speed...Isn't very explosive...Will not get a lot of separation...He won't do much after the catch...Average vertical leap...Inconsistent and will disappear at times..Maturity has been called into question...Has health and durability concerns.

woodbuck27: Could he be converted to a TE?

Notes:

Three-year starter who came out after his junior season...

Tore the meniscus in his knee during the Fiesta Bowl as a sophomore and he missed Spring Practice in '07 after undergoing surgery to repair it....

Didn't work out at the Scouting Combine or the Sooners original Pro Day due to a quadriceps injury...

There have been reports that some teams are so concerned about the health of both his knees he could be removed from their draft boards all together...

A very good player who can enjoy a nice pro career as a possession receiver but he is an overrated prospect who was in many ways a product of internet and media hype....Poor-man's Dwayne Jarrett.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2005 11 33 471 14.3 2
2006 14 62 993 16.0 10
2007 14 49 821 16.8 9
Totals 39 144 2,285 15.9 21

woodbuck27: Nope!

oregonpackfan
04-17-2008, 10:23 AM
The Packers havn't been anywhere near the guy I like, James Hardy. He's still a possiblity.

JH,

While it is true that NFL teams do contact and interview prospective draftees, some teams will actually draft someone without any direct contact with the player. They rely on scouting reports, film, interviews with coaches, etc.

I share your admiration of Hardy as I watched him in a couple of games. They guy definitely has talent and NFL potential, IMO.

Partial
04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice 5th round pick.

Agreed, but he's going to go a heck of a lot higher than that. At least he worked out finally. Now the real question is did Reggie Smith?

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM

James Hardy Height: 6-53/8 | Weight: 217 | 40-Time: 4.51

Official Bio

Strengths:

Phenomenal size with a huge frame and long arms...A terrific natural athlete...Has big, reliable hands and can snatch the ball away from his body...A fantastic leaper with excellent ball skills...Knows how to use his body to shield defenders...Works well in traffic...Can do some damage after the catch...Has pretty good speed for a guy his size...A terror in the redzone...Was real productive...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Isn't very quick or explosive and lacks a burst...May have trouble separating from pro corners...Has some character concerns...Will have to get stronger...Not much of a vertical or deep threat...Just a marginal blocker...Not a great route runner...Is not real physical or aggressive and may lack a football player's mentality...Still raw and will need to be developed...Inconsistent..Is more athlete than football player.

Notes:

Also played on the Hoosier basketball team during the 2004-05 season starting 3 of the 23 games in which he played...Was arrested in 2006 on a domestic battery charge after his girlfriend accused him of hitting her and their son...He only began focusing strictly on football in 2005...

A very intriguing physical specimen with rare measurables for the position...

Might be a bit overrated since people have fallen in love with his size but in a best-case scenario he could be a Plaxico Burress - type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics **

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2004 DNP - - - -
2005 10 61 893 14.6 10
2006 10 51 722 14.2 10
2007 13 79 1,125 14.2 16

Totals 33 191 2,740 14.3 36

woodbuck27 : ** consistent and decent #'s. Size and athletic ability. :D

run pMc
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
If TT takes a WR, it won't be in R1. There are good values in later rounds and he'll look then.
In terms of receivers, TE is a greater need...not that TT drafts for need.

Merlin
04-18-2008, 07:12 PM

I was trying to find where in the post it pointed me to come to the conclusion the guy was a turd. I still haven't found it yet...

Fritz
04-19-2008, 09:44 AM

I was trying to find where in the post it pointed me to come to the conclusion the guy was a turd. I still haven't found it yet...

It's right here, Merlin. You must've missed it:

"KELLY TIMED IN 4.63
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2008, 5:07 p.m.

Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, a turd whose last workout was the subject of much scrutiny, had another workout today in Norman, Oklahoma."