PDA

View Full Version : Barnett's Club in line to lose liquor license

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/GPG0101/606010589/1978

FiveSix in line to lose liquor after vote

Nightclub has drawn complaints from neighbors

By Nathan Phelps
nphelps@greenbaypressgazette.com

Members of a Green Bay City Council committee voted Wednesday to take the first step in a process that could leave a west-side nightclub owned by Green Bay Packers Nick Barnett without a liquor license.

The Protection and Welfare Committee took up the issue after neighbors near FiveSix, 405 W. Walnut St., raised concerns about the about the impact of bar patrons on their neighborhood.

"It's all of the stuff that goes on in my neighborhood, in my yard," said Jesse Rouse, a neighbor who lives across Walnut Street from the bar. "There are a lot of fights … people urinating in the parking lot and my yard, people throwing garbage, beer bottles and the cups in our yard … the level of noise."

Barnett, who operates the establishment with former Oregon State University roommate Shamon Jamerson, owns FiveSix restaurant/ultra lounge, which opened in September.

He told the committee they have hired additional security staff and have made other improvements in an attempt to curb some of the issues around the business.

"I'm sorry about the noise, and we're trying to fix that," he told the council. "We're doing everything in our power. We're not sending people over there and telling them to yell and urinate in their yard. … We are trying to better the situation for both parties."

But some city officials remained skeptical, pointing to the number and types of police calls — from battery to disorderly conduct — to the area around the club.

"I cannot believe an owner of an establishment would put up with this," said Alderman Andy Nicholson. "Green Bay should not put up with this place … we've got nothing but problems."

Rouse told the committee he and his neighbors want to leave the area.

"Keep the peace, that's all we wanted," he said. "We're done, we're fed up."

Green Bay police say they have responded to more than 20 calls connected to the club since the beginning of the year.

Community police officer Dave Schmitz has been working with both neighbors and Barnett in an attempt to work on the issue.

That includes a multifaceted abatement plan ranging from emptying the bar at 2:30 a.m., providing proper security staff and dispersing crowds when the establishment closes.

When asked by Alderman Chris Wery if the business could make changes, Schmitz said, "I have my reservations. … Anything is possible, but it's a tough road for Nick to face."

Alderman Guy Zima, who brought the matter before the committee, said FiveSix didn't deliver on the providing the "restaurant" portion of its license and derives most of its income from alcohol sales.

"It's really a place now that serves alcohol and serves some food," he said.

Barnett said they not only sell food until about 1:30 a.m., but also generate revenue through entertainment.

The committee voted 3-1 to deny the application for the liquor license.

Alderman Chad Fradette, the sole dissenting vote, argued against denying the license, pointing out this is the first time this business has been to the committee while others have been given multiple chances to change their operations.

The matter will go the City Council next week. If that body agrees with the committee, Barnett will be able to appeal the decision and the matter could go to a quasi-judicial hearing.

"I cannot believe I don't get another chance … when a lot of other establishments have been far worse than mine," Barnett said after the meeting. "I'm making an effort to do everything I can and I can't believe they're not giving me an opportunity to rectify the situation.

"I understand what they're saying with the neighbors," he said. "A couple of the comments made seemed like they were directed toward the minorities that go to my establishment … which kind of hurts me a little bit."

When asked about that assertion, Zima said: "Did you hear one word of that here tonight? I didn't. That's make-believe."

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 08:33 AM
While I can't say that I frequent this club, I have been there a few times and it's one of the nicest places GB has. There are far worse other establishments in the area that I would snag their liquor license from instead of this one.

I actually agree with Barnett that race plays a big factor into this. Many people in GB have this small town mentality that if you see a black guy, he's either a Packer or a burglar. This club does attract many minorities and I think it's making some of the neighbors a little uneasy. And of course, just because Nick Barnett owns it, it's getting more attention than many other dives that should be shut down in the downtown area.

Guy Zima is one of the alderman..he's about as useless as they come.

Pack0514
06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
For anyone who has been there......

What type of area is the club in? Is it in a commercial type district with other nightclubs or a residential type area? Are the patrions college kids (21-30)? What is the class status of the patrions? Is the building kept up? Im assuming its not a dump since Barnett has a reputation to uphold. Is he there very often?

I am just curious.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Pack, actually during the season, he's there quite a bit. They have a big VIP section in the back where he, along with many other players hang out in.

It's in a commercial area of the downtown. Which kind of shocked me at how residences were complaining as there really aren't any houses around. However, the parking is less than adequete, so I can see people parked a few blocks away walking past the few houses that are around there.

It has an average crowd of late 20 somethings I'd say.

Yes, the place is kept up very nice. It used too be an old movie theater actually and before Barnett took it over, it was a gay dance club. It's not really near any other bars though, you have to go across the river and down about 2 blocks to find the "famous" Washington Street strip downtown that is flooded with bars. So, they really can't blame the problems on other bars.

Is it in the best area of town, no. but it's certainly not the worst either.

Pack0514
06-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks GBM, hopefully for Nick, he will be able to do something to fix the problem and get his license back. Its too bad when a player does something in the community to drum up some business in the city and then is shot down. I understand people dont want others urinating on their lawns but lets give the guy another chance. If the problem continues, then it may have to be shut down.

This is an example of why players might not want to play in GB..... I doubt this would be as large of an issue if it were in NYC or Dallas.

Just my opinions.

red
06-01-2006, 09:01 AM
thats kind of BS if its in a comercial part of town

if you ask me

the people in the article made it out to seem like the bar was smack dab in the middle of their neighborhood

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 09:14 AM
If his club gets shut down, will Barnett want to stay in Green Bay? Who cares? We got Abdul "the Butcher" Hodge waiting to show fans in Green Bay how a real middle linebacker plays the game.

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Thats kind of a lynching. I remember reading an article when the issue was first coming up that stated his club actually had a less than average number of calls considering the size of the establishment. I think it was entirely correct to say this is a racial issue brought on by small minded officials(ZIMA). I find it amazing that they have only been given one chance where I know of other places around town which have nightly visits from the police yet stay in business. The only neighbors in that area are the people who live in the low rent apartments above the businesses in that area if it such a nuisance why did ONE neighbor come out to voice their objection.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Welcome to Packer Rats bigcoz!

I would think they would have to give him the opportunity to correct some things before pulling his license if they have done so with other establishments. Plus it does sound pretty radical considering it's not in a residential area.

wist43
06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Barnett is an idiot... dumber than a rock. Don't like him as a player, and after hearing him in some interviews, it doesn't surprise me one bit that he'd be associated with this type of nonsense.

wist43
06-01-2006, 09:33 AM
If his club gets shut down, will Barnett want to stay in Green Bay? Who cares? We got Abdul "the Butcher" Hodge waiting to show fans in Green Bay how a real middle linebacker plays the game.

Here, here... Would love to see Hodge at MLB, and Barnett playing for the Vikings.

billy_oliver880
06-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Here, here... Would love to see Hodge at MLB, and Barnett playing for the Vikings.

When did this become a thread about how Barnett plays MLB? :shock:

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome 007.

There sure are alot of Barnett haters here ready to ship him off for a rookie who hasn't even seen NFL action with pads on. Don't get me wrong I think Hodge was a steal but the little guy won't be surplanting Barnett on the team. Now if they move Barnett outside I'd love to see him in the middle, but I can't see that happening before the start of the season. Two rookie LBs....(shudder)

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 09:45 AM
[quote=Nutz]If his club gets shut down, will Barnett want to stay in Green Bay? Who cares? We got Abdul "the Butcher" Hodge waiting to show fans in Green Bay how a real middle linebacker plays the game.

When did this become a thread about how Barnett plays MLB? :shock:

When I made the above statement about whether he would decide to stay in Green Bay due to social reasons.

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
When he opened Five Six it was seen by most as an improvment to an area that needed a boost to the quality of places in the area. The majority of bars in that area are Moe's tavern type places and the whole broadway district has always had the lions share of problems in town.
The former owners that ran it as The West had their problems too. There was an instance where one of their patrons were run down outside the bar by similar small minded people who are complaining now.

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Y'all are haters, GB City Council!! Besides, I am never in favor of denying a liquor license. :wink:

Seriously, though, GB can't be doing anything to make the city less attractive to young players, particularly young black players. Let them have their little nightclub. Sheesh.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Barnett, from the look of it, is part white. So what's the big deal? Let Barnett do his thing. Let freedom rings. Let liberals rule the world, and there will be peace.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
The funny part is, is that these same people who are doing the bitching, are the ones complaining about the downtown becoming a Ghost Town and that all the new construction/restuarants, etc is in Ashwaubenon.

Guy Zima was the same small minded official who headed up the campaign to get the hot dog vendors off the streets at bar close, too.

Gotta love the priorities of our city officials.

It's great living here around packer related events,but seriously, this is one of the most narrow-minded conservative cities i've ever seen in my life.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Guy Zima was the same small minded official who headed up the campaign to get the hot dog vendors off the streets at bar close, too.

What was the problem with the hot dog vendor? Violence breaking out when the onions were gone?

Fritz
06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
"before Barnett took it over, it was a gay dance club."

There's gays in Green Bay? And black people? And a guy named Zima is the local conservative? (shouldn't his last name be Miller or Budweiser?)

My god, what is the world coming to?

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:36 AM

What was the problem with the hot dog vendor? Violence breaking out when the onions were gone?

LOL !

Actually, because there was too much congestion afterwards. they citied it as a safety issue...from people wandering in the street (because ya know, it's a big difference if someone wanders in the street at 3 am vs 1 am) to fights breaking out (same sarcastic remark as above)

wist43
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
NIMBY... From what some of the others have posted it would seem that this club isn't in a heavy residential area, but for those residents that do live near there - you certainly can't blame them for wanting peace and quite in their neighborhood.

And it is those people who have to be considered first - it's where they live. How would any of you like it if you go to bed at 10pm and can't get to sleep b/c of noise... never minding the fact that morons are pissing in your flower garden.

I have very little patience for moronism; and, clubs like Barnetts tend to be magnets for morons. Some of you may couch this argument in racial or generational terms, but the bottom line is the residents who live in that area have every right to expect that their property will be respected and that they can live in their houses in peace and quiet.

Local government officials are absolutely correct in taking steps to ensure that residents can live their lives to that expectation.

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Zima- the smae respectable official who years ago was caught shoplifting bratwurst at a grocery store.

Maybe the hot dog vendors were too legit.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
wist, What did you think of the club when you went there?

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Weren't the residents taken into consideration in the first place when the club went up, was licensed, etc.?

Anyways, fine the offenders, not the club. Personal responsibility and all.

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
The thing is that building has always been used for entertainment. Before five six it was a gay club, before that it was a movie theater/bar. The people in that area would know what they were getting into before they moved there. It is not a recent issue. That whole area was known for a long time as the worst in Green Bay the place to be for bar fights, drugs and cheap beer. Anyone who has lived here long enough has a very seedy picture of what the Broadway entertainment district is like. Nobody with a shred of intelligence would move to that area and expect a quiet peaceful place to raise a family.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
They actually have cleaned up Broadway quite a bit, N. Broadway at least.

I guess they never had problems with urinating on lawns when it was a gay bar because then all the golden showers probably took place inside. :razz:

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
The thing is that building has always been used for entertainment. Before five six it was a gay club, before that it was a movie theater/bar. The people in that area would know what they were getting into before they moved there. It is not a recent issue.

Exactly.

That's why it looks to me like "the man" be hatin'.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 11:01 AM
:shock:

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I guess they never had problems with urinating on lawns when it was a gay bar because then all the golden showers probably took place inside. :razz:[/quote]

LMFAO

wist43
06-01-2006, 11:04 AM
It amazes me how anyone could try to rationalize abhorrent behavior... we as a society seem to go to the extreme in finding excuses for the lowest common denominator.

I find that just as disgusting - maybe even more disgusting than the behavior itself. The world is full of morons - I don't see why otherwise intelligent people would try to make excuses for them. Like I said, I have a very low threshold of idiots and idiotic behavior.

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I am not condoning any of this behavior, but the fact is this same behavior is happening at the other clubs in town. My problem with this is that Five Six seems to be getting singled out because of it's clientel.

Rastak
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
It amazes me how anyone could try to rationalize abhorrent behavior... we as a society seem to go to the extreme in finding excuses for the lowest common denominator.

I find that just as disgusting - maybe even more disgusting than the behavior itself. The world is full of morons - I don't see why otherwise intelligent people would try to make excuses for them. Like I said, I have a very low threshold of idiots and idiotic behavior.

But Wist, why not cite the morons doing this stuff rather than pull the guys license? Also, are all the businesses treated equally? The second is the main question. If they are then fine, shut down all clubs that have patrons who pee in yards. I completely agree I would REALLY dislike having that done in my yard. Why not have Green Bay's finest do a bit of patrolling?

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Why not have Green Bay's finest do a bit of patrolling?

EXACTLY!! I'm not sure what Wisconsin's laws are, but where I live we have public intoxication.....any unrulely behavior on the streets after the bars close and you go to jail for the night and get a nice fine. As for the public urination, here you get charged with Indecent Exposure.......not a nice thing to have on your record. If the police are patrolling the area regularly and citing these people, the ones causing the problems will stop frequenting the establishment.

I'm not condoning the behavior at all.........just wondering if the local police have helped at all in controlling these incidents????

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM
I certainly don't condone the behavior either, but my point of this is that he IS being singled out because of his clientele. His average clientele probably makes more money in a year that many of us will see in a lifetime. It's a pretty high end club.

If some of you have actually BEEN to the club and make your assumptions from that, fine. But some haven't even been there or the area and make judgements about the the kind of establishment that it is.

A good friend of mine was almost killed several years ago because she was beaten and raped in the parking lot at a bar on N. Broadway. There have been DOZENS of incidents at this particular place over the years and also, it's in the middle of a neighborhood. Where is the outcry in that?

Barnett has no control of what goes on AFTER people leave the club. Like Rastak said, where are GB's "finest" ? too busy ticketing hot dog vendors who keep their stand open after 2am, perhaps?

bigcoz75
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Cheers Michelle, well said

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
yay, another poster from GB !!

There are a few of us on here now. Might have to organize an official PR welcome wagon committee pretty soon.

MadtownPacker
06-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Zima- the smae respectable official who years ago was caught shoplifting bratwurst at a grocery store.
You serious? HAHAHAHA, what a piece of garbage hypocrite!

Welcome to PR Bigcoz, let me know if you need help setting up an avatar or having any questions.

K-town
06-01-2006, 12:28 PM
NIMBY... Local government officials are absolutely correct in taking steps to ensure that residents can live their lives to that expectation.

In the county where I live, we have a gun club that's been in existence for over 75 years. When property adjacent to the gun club was zoned for residential, the NIMBYs who moved in immediately petitioned to have the gun club moved or closed down, because of the noise and the "danger." Thank God the local government had the cojones to tell these jackoffs to go screw themselves. If the gun club (or the airport, or the factory, or the bar) is there before you got there, then you either deal with it, or you don't move there in the first place.

While I'm on my rant:
Our local airport requested extending runways, so that they could accept more business from cargo carriers. NIMBYs, again, protested and the extensions didn't go through. Mind you, again, the runway was there before the subdivision. Well fine. Maybe you should have thought about the noise when you moved in next to an airport. Even asswipes like these jerks must have noticed the planes, hangers, etc. Here's my thought - since taxes for everyone went up in part because the revenue from the airport didn't increase, how about these NIMBY m-fers pay the difference in MY bill?

mngolf19
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
As for the public urination, here you get charged with Indecent Exposure.......not a nice thing to have on your record.

007, that's not from personal experience, right? :wink:

K-town
06-01-2006, 12:41 PM
I certainly don't condone the behavior either, but my point of this is that he IS being singled out because of his clientele. His average clientele probably makes more money in a year that many of us will see in a lifetime. It's a pretty high end club.

If some of you have actually BEEN to the club and make your assumptions from that, fine. But some haven't even been there or the area and make judgements about the the kind of establishment that it is.

A good friend of mine was almost killed several years ago because she was beaten and raped in the parking lot at a bar on N. Broadway. There have been DOZENS of incidents at this particular place over the years and also, it's in the middle of a neighborhood. Where is the outcry in that?

Barnett has no control of what goes on AFTER people leave the club. Like Rastak said, where are GB's "finest" ? too busy ticketing hot dog vendors who keep their stand open after 2am, perhaps?

Wow, I'm on a roll today.
Again, a little tale about my hometown. A friend of mine owned a club that went from rock to Tejano to hip-hop/"urban dance". Guess when the cops started patrolling the area hourly, writing tickets, attempting to have his license pulled, etc.? As with most clubs this size, there was and always will be the occasional jerkoff who pees on the lawn and makes too much noise after 2 A.M. It became a problem for the neighbors and the cops only when it was black and Hispanic people making the noises, etc. The matter was resolved only when he threatened to sue the city and the police department (Among the more amusing anecdotes - the police reported a "riot" involving a hundred people. Surveillance cameras from my friends and neighboring businesses recorded no foot or auto traffic for the entire half-hour time frame when the "riot" occurred).
As a side note, there's a bar next door to the place I frequent (both at the end of a residential block) where gambling, drug-dealing and prostitution are openly in progress. This establishment is allowed to stay open because the owner is a "respected" member of the community. Sometimes it IS about who you know. The clientele, and the neighborhood, are about as diverse (racially and economically) as you can get in this state.

swede
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I can't think about Guy Zima without remembering that he's the dude that got arrested for leaving a local grocery store with about fifteen punds of meat under his trench coat.

Green Bay is a funny little town. Tank and I are glad we grew up in Appleton.

And if the aldermen in Sheerboredom, where I live now, were to get complaints from constituents about bar patrons urinating on their bushes they would send three guys in a truck to move the bushes back a few feet. Bars are the light industrial backbone of the economy in this burg. Noise at closing time means business for the budweiser trucks means new bats for the softball team. We can live with the noise if it means new bats and unis.

esoxx
06-01-2006, 06:38 PM
All I know is FiveSix has the most delicious chicken pasta dish I've ever experienced. Simply outstanding.

GBRulz
06-03-2006, 09:06 AM
UPDATE POSTED JUNE 3 IN THE GB PRESS GAZETTE

Posted June 3, 2006

Alderman changes stance on Barnett's FiveSix club

Wery says business should have another shot at liquor license

By Paul Srubas
psrubas@greenbaypressgazette.com

An alderman who voted with the majority on a committee recommending Wednesday to deny a liquor license renewal for Nick Barnett's FiveSix now hopes to persuade the Green Bay City Council to cut the Packers player and his nightclub some slack.

"Sometimes, a day after a vote, cooler heads prevail," said Alderman Chris Wery, who had voted with the majority Wednesday in its 3-1 decision to deny a liquor license renewal to FiveSix, 405 W. Walnut St., Green Bay.

The committee took the action at the urging of member Guy Zima after neighbors raised concerns about bad behavior from bar patrons. Neighbors complained about fights, public urination and garbage from the club.

Lt. Jim Runge of the Green Bay Police Department's community policing team said that FiveSix has been a problem spot, generating about 22 police calls in the first five months of this year. That's high, he said, but it isn't necessarily the worst tavern in town, and Runge said he'd prefer seeing the committee addressing the worst bars first.

Still, he said, complaints about FiveSix came from residential neighbors, and "why should people living nearby have to tolerate it?" he said.

The committee's decision, which remains unchanged despite Wery's second thoughts, still needs approval from the full City Council, which meets Tuesday.

But Wery plans to vote the other way and hopes to persuade other aldermen to do the same.

"The committee came to the point where it was sick of problem bars and maybe felt it was sending a message to all bars in the city to knock it off or they're going to lose their license," he said. "But to be fair, we should give (FiveSix) a second chance to improve or lose its license. Basically, other bars with similar problems, we've given a second chance to them, and that should apply here."

Wery said he's working with the city attorney to draft a list of promises or stipulations that he wants to present to Barnett to sign.

The list would include areas of improvement that the club would promise to make if its liquor license were renewed. Wery figures that such a list not only would help the city monitor Barnett's progress but also could help to persuade aldermen that offering a second chance could be effective.

"Our purpose really shouldn't be to shut people down but to gain adherence to the laws," Wery said.

Barnett couldn't be reached for reaction.

FavreChild
06-03-2006, 09:20 AM
See, they realized they were hatin'.

Thanks for the update, GBM - our woman on the street. :wink:

son of a vic
06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
This topic is non football related and belongs in the Romper Room. Players business interests outside of football, have no impact whatsoever on the teams play.
Be consistent moving topics,(whoever is in charge) or it gives the appearance of favoritism to certain posters, and that will affect the integrity of this forum.

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:28 AM
SOV, I agree partially with your criticism. In the past, some off-topic posts were allowed to stay, especially posts by Mad's love interest, 007. But Mad has been pretty consistent in moving off-topic posts of late. (And remember, he's just doing this as a volunteer, so easy with the "hard to get good help" 'tude.)

This particular topic is about a Packer player, so it's debatable whether it should get moved. Probably a bad one to complain about. Wait until 007 starts a thread about her summer vacation.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 10:46 AM
This topic is non football related and belongs in the Romper Room. Players business interests outside of football, have no impact whatsoever on the teams play.
Be consistent moving topics,(whoever is in charge) or it gives the appearance of favoritism to certain posters, and that will affect the integrity of this forum.

On a related note, I'd like to remind everyone that jaywalking is both dangerous AND illegal.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
SOV, I agree partially with your criticism. In the past, some off-topic posts were allowed to stay, especially posts by Mad's love interest, 007.

You always get the best juicy gossip Harlan.

GBRulz
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I too am glad that they are possibly going to give Barnett's club a 2nd chance. Just equal treatment is all that he is asking. Don't see what is such a big deal about that. At least one alderman has some sense.

I think looking at the overall picture, it's not only the right thing to do from the city, but also I believe Barnett getting the raw end of the deal and shutting down would not only give him a bad taste about the city itself (I want a trade, I don't like GB) but other prospects that we're trying to get come here as well. (I will make a little less money in Miami, but at least it's not some racial small minded city).

GBRulz
06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
I am not at all trying to say this next situation is why Javon Walker wanted out of GB, but it's kind of the point that I'm getting at.

JW signed a lease for a space in this strip mall on Lombardi Ave, for his own clothing store. the contractor that owns those is, from what I've heard by many, including my friend who is a manager of the suite next to his, an asshole. Among the type of clientele he has leased space to, is a dentist and a mortage company, hence trying to keep it as a "professional" building. So is gives JW a very hard time about his new place and blatently stalled starting on the construction inside for various reasons. Finally JW scrapped the whole idea. It was about the same time as his whole "holdout issues" and attitude began.

Anyhow, take that situation for JW and combine it with some of the people who don't know how to forgive and forget - I think escalated his reasoning to want out of Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Hmmm. Now it's football related, because it potentially affects our ability to keep and attract players?

I'll buy that!

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 02:31 PM
SOV, I agree partially with your criticism. In the past, some off-topic posts were allowed to stay, especially posts by Mad's love interest, 007. But Mad has been pretty consistent in moving off-topic posts of late. (And remember, he's just doing this as a volunteer, so easy with the "hard to get good help" 'tude.)

This particular topic is about a Packer player, so it's debatable whether it should get moved. Probably a bad one to complain about. Wait until 007 starts a thread about her summer vacation.

Wow Harlan, how rude. Go ahead and make your point to SOV but why feel the need to use me as comic relief in the process? I am not Mad's love interest nor he mine, we are friends. Is that an odd concept to you? The reason he has not had to move my threads is because I don't start OT threads in the Packer forum. Oh wait......maybe one of you that love to stir the pot does not believe that Packer Trivia has anything to do with the Packers or football.......I'll ask Mad to move that.

son of a vic
06-04-2006, 02:47 PM
GBOO7--- " Wow Harlan, how rude. Go ahead and make your point to SOV but why feel the need to use me as comic relief in the process? I am not Mad's love interest nor he mine, we are friends. Is that an odd concept to you? The reason he has not had to move my threads is because I don't start OT threads in the Packer forum. Oh wait......maybe one of you that love to stir the pot does not believe that Packer Trivia has anything to do with the Packers or football.......I'll ask Mad to move that."

Packer trivia involves current and former players and coaches. BF4MVP THREAD IS ABOUT HIM TINKERING WITH HIS HARD DRIVE AND GETTING PAID FOR IT.

See the slight difference in content!

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
joke about you and Mad being lovers is out of bounds? beneath your dignity? phooey! to hell with you.

You've put off topic posts in the Packer forum, in fact I moved some to the Romper Room and you put them back here.

I don't think this issue is a big deal, but I mentioned it 'cause the topic was brought up.

Go ahead and get even madder at me, I love the atttention. (Actually, I don't like that you are mad, and am sorry to upset you.)

MadtownPacker
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Would being my lover be soooo bad? :twisted:

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
You've put off topic posts in the Packer forum, in fact I moved some to the Romper Room and you put them back here.

Go ahead and get even madder at me, I love the atttention. (Actually, I don't like that you are mad, and am sorry to upset you.)

LOL, I'd sure like to know when I acquired these Super Powers to move threads!! I don't now, or have never had the ability to do that in this forum. So if you are moving my threads and they are appearing back were you took them from .....it must be an act of God! (...and rightly so!!) :razz:

I'm not mad at you.......if I was mad you would know it. I said you were rude.

MadtownPacker
06-04-2006, 03:20 PM

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM

LOL no!! ...but last time I heard you were off the market. :mad:

MadtownPacker
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM

MadtownPacker
06-04-2006, 03:22 PM

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Are you by any chance waiting for Harlan to answer that?????? :razz:

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Back when we had numerous threads to name the rat mascot, I kept moving those threads to the Romper Room. New threads on the topic kept reapearing in the Packer room, so I gave up. (I was temporary admin, when Mad left me and went home to stay with his mother for the weekend.)

Anyway, I didn't care that much about it, and I don't remember whether it was you or Mad starting new threads. But when Vic brought up this subject, I was reminded of that incident as an example where the rules were bent.

I am sorry to single you out 007, it was just something that popped in my head. And I don't think being with Mad is anything to be ashamed of, just realize that he is a horn dog, so take proper precautions.

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Back when we had those numerous threads to name the rat mascot, I kept moving those threads to the Romper Room. New threads on the topic kept reapearing in the Packer room, so I gave up. (I was temporary admin, when Mad left me and went home to stay with him mother for the weekend.)

Anyway, I didn't care that much about it, and I don't remember whether it was you or Mad starting new threads. But when Vic brought up this subject, I was reminded of that incident as an example where the rules were bent.

LOL ok, the name the mascot thread.......that was me! I wasn't moving them though, I just made new ones....lol You never informed me they shouldn't go in the Packer forum (where they rightfully belonged) so I just did what I thought was right. Soooooooo, I questioned your authority and this was your lil payback......ok. I can handle that.

And I don't think being with Mad is anything to be ashamed of, just realize that he is a horn dog,.

And that's supposed to be a BAD thing? :twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 04:32 PM
LOL ok, the name the mascot thread.......that was me! I wasn't moving them though, I just made new ones....lol You never informed me they shouldn't go in the Packer forum (where they rightfully belonged) so I just did what I thought was right. Soooooooo, I questioned your authority and this was your lil payback......ok. I can handle that.

Well, you did get the message, but disagreed and disregarded it. A less popular person, of less social status, would not have done so.

And, if you weren't Mad's friend, he would have moved the threads to RR.

There is always favoritism. Mad tries very hard to be even-handed but is not perfect.

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, you did get the message, but disagreed and disregarded it. A less popular person, of less social status, would not have done so.

Sorry, I still disagree. It was very early on in the forming of this site and it pertained to the site, football in a round about way...lol, and definitely the Packers. The polls to name the mascot never would have been so well received anywhere else and I believe it belonged in the main forum. Nobody voiced an opinion against that to me.

Geesh, let go of old grudges HH. I'm sorry I stepped on your toes.

There is always favoritism. Mad tries very hard to be even-handed but is not perfect.

He's fair.

Rastak
06-04-2006, 04:45 PM

Sorry, I still disagree. It was very early on in the forming of this site and it pertained to the site, football in a round about way...lol, and definitely the Packers. The polls to name the mascot never would have been so well received anywhere else and I believe it belonged in the main forum. Nobody voiced an opinion against that to me.

He's fair.

I think he's very fair. For instance, he hasn't killed me yet.

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I think he's very fair. For instance, he hasn't killed me yet.

LOL I think it took him awhile to come around with you Rastak. Remember when he used to call you Troll-lite? I thought that name was very funny.

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 10:16 PM
I believe it belonged in the main forum. Nobody voiced an opinion against that to me.

The admin moving the threads into the Romper Room is a clear statement. You didn't think you had to go along with the admin's judgement, that's the point.

I never took your actions personally. If it mattered much to me I would have fussed over it at the time. I mention it only because I was challenged to give an example of how the rules don't always apply equally.

GBRulz
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I think a round of metamucil shots are in order for a few....

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Just started reading this thread; I can't believe 007 is cheating on me with Mad :wink:

All those nights stalking her in Iowa and she has another love interest.

MadtownPacker
06-05-2006, 07:43 AM
The threads where moved into the Packers area by the real Admin. They where not individual's threads, they where made for PackerRats.com for members to vote for the mascot's name. Once they where done they where deleted. Now please find a better example if you wish to continue insulting me.

Scott Campbell
06-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Is it too early to have a drink at FiveSix?

Guiness
06-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Now please find a better example if you wish to continue insulting me.

You have bad breath?

MadtownPacker
06-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Is it too early to have a drink at FiveSix?Why, is there someones lawn you wanna take a leak on? :mrgreen:

GBRulz
06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
LOLOLOLOL :wink:

BTW, some of my friends went there this weekend and said security was all over the place outside....

Still boggles me about the residential complaints because it's not in a resi area.

mngolf19
06-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Now please find a better example if you wish to continue insulting me.

Your head is too big for your body. :smile:

Harlan Huckleby
06-05-2006, 06:52 PM
ummm, that's not a head. it's the part he does his thinkin with.

GBRulz
06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
UPDATE: June 6

Barnett's club faces fight in City Council

Vote to renew liquor license is tonight

By Paul Srubas
psrubas@greenbaypressgazette.com

When the Green Bay City Council considers tonight whether to renew the liquor license of FiveSix, the nightclub owned by Green Bay Packers player Nick Barnett, Alderman Guy Zima won't be voting among those who think the bar deserves a second chance.

That's because the business at 405 W. Walnut St., was never supposed to be a bar in the first place, Zima said Monday.

"If the second chance was that he (Barnett) was going to redo his business and have a restaurant in place rather than a bar, that would be a different story, but that's not what the man's asking for," Zima said. "He seems to want to have a second chance to continue the tavern business that he's established, not the restaurant business."

Zima said the city has been trying to clean up the Broadway district, which historically had a rough-around-the-edges image based on its taverns. The city granted Barnett a license to operate the former West Pitcher Show on the grounds that, although it would serve alcoholic beverages, that wouldn't be its primary business.

"But it's a basically a tavern operation, the exact opposite of the entire philosophy that we're trying to do on Broadway," Zima said.

Zima brought neighbor complaints about the club to the city's Protection & Welfare Committee meeting last week, at which time the committee voted not to renew Barnett's license. That vote, which passed 3-1, is up for approval by the full council tonight.

Alderman Chris Wery, who voted with the majority on the committee last week, has changed his mind and thinks Barnett should be given a second chance to clean up his act. Wery is presenting Barnett with a list of stipulations to sign, essentially agreeing to voluntarily give up the license in the event of future violations.

That could help persuade the council to give Barnett a second chance, Wery said.

Zima said the list of violations the club has been responsible for since the first of the year may be too long to justify a second chance anyway.

According to police records obtained by the Green Bay Press-Gazette, the club had 22 police calls in the first five months of the year, although not all of those were responses to actual problems or involved visits by the police investigating previous disturbances. About eight of those calls involved fights or unsubstantiated reports of fights and three or four disturbances. There were also a pair of vandalisms.

In contrast, Hip Cats, 116 S. Adams St., had slightly more than double the total number of police calls in the same period. That includes at least 15 fights or unsubstantiated reports of fights, and another 10 disturbances of variable nature.

Lt. Jim Runge of the Green Bay Police Department said police would probably regard Hip Cats' problems as the more serious of the two taverns, but FiveSix has residential neighbors who complained, and that's why that one came to the forefront sooner.

"Why should people living nearby have to tolerate it?" he said.

That's why Zima believes the license shouldn't be renewed.

"I don't think the city should be forced into compromising its overall plan on Broadway," he added.

Wery disagreed that the business was primarily alcohol sales. Most of the problems happened after hours, and if that can be solved, "you'd have another nice establishment in that neighborhood."

GBRulz
06-08-2006, 03:12 PM
UPDATE

Packers' Barnett Loses To GB City Council

Bill Walsh
Reporting

(WFRV) GREEN BAY It took until early Wednesday morning for the Green Bay Common Council to decide on the fate of Packers' linebacker Nick Barnett's nightclub.

After much debate, the City Council decided not to renew the liquor license for the FIVE-SIX club.

Aldermen had two choices, renew the license with 26 conditions for the club to remain open, or deny it. Based on complaints from people who live near the club and numerous police calls there, the Council voted 8 to 4 to deny the license.

Several residents who live near the nightclub testified before the council about late-night noise, drunkenness and other problems they said took place after the bar closes.

"The people that come out of that establishment are unruly," neighbor Jesse Rouse said. "I have people that come over that are astonished by what happens at bar time."

Barnett was disappointed after the vote, saying other Green Bay establishments have gotten a second chance from the Council. "I'm very hurt that the city would do this, after I tried to invest in the city. I don't rent the place. I bought it. And I thought I deserve another chance. Yeah, we had problems, but I'm confident that I could fix them."

Barnett says he'll appeal the decision, but he would need to get a hearing and win another vote from the City Council to get his liquor license renewed. That license is set to expire on July 30th.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

bigcoz75
06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
[quote="GBMichele"]UPDATE: June 6

B
In contrast, Hip Cats, 116 S. Adams St., had slightly more than double the total number of police calls in the same period. That includes at least 15 fights or unsubstantiated reports of fights, and another 10 disturbances of variable nature.

Lt. Jim Runge of the Green Bay Police Department said police would probably regard Hip Cats' problems as the more serious of the two taverns, but FiveSix has residential neighbors who complained, and that's why that one came to the forefront sooner.

Now that's B.S.!

GBRulz
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I agree.

How do the neighbors know that the unruly ones aren't coming home from Hip Cats and not FiveSix? Ok, so it's a bit of a walk, but still a possibility.

it still floors me about these residential complaints. Where the hell are the houses around there??

ha, I was just looking at the list of council members and see where Guy Zima lives about 3 blocks from me. I better lock up my brats....

bigcoz75
06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree.

How do the neighbors know that the unruly ones aren't coming home from Hip Cats and not FiveSix? Ok, so it's a bit of a walk, but still a possibility.

it still floors me about these residential complaints. Where the hell are the houses around there??

ha, I was just looking at the list of council members and see where Guy Zima lives about 3 blocks from me. I better lock up my brats....

They aren't houses they're mostly apartments above the businesses. So your in his district?....that's it Michele for alderman! I've long considered moving to that area just to attempt to oust that moron

GBRulz
06-08-2006, 07:18 PM
yeah, I didn't think about the apartments that might be up there, but still. I think they are trying to use Barnett as an example of how they are trying to "clean up downtown".

Trying to take down the Phat Dogs stand was a great start :roll:

I'd take Zima's job, but the problem is, he isn't the only idiot on the city council!!

GBRulz
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
bigcoz, I think we should go to a practice with signs that say "F*CK ZIMA, compliments of packerrats.com"

You KNOW that would get Barnett's attention!

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Have a question ready because I'd bet you get a quote out of that.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Barnett is a rich man, he'll sell the place and buy a bigger one. I doubt it'll be in GB though. Look for Barnett to demand a trade after this season.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Come on wist43.You can't make us believe your so ANAL that you always have to take a whiz in a proper toilet/outhouse. Ever do any wilderness camping/canoeing? Ever be 'just a busting' for a good piss and no toilet available? Not only, just the guys have to go, there.

I'm of the opinion I'm not living in the proper place, if I can't dash outside for a bit of privacy and need of relief once in awhile.

Not too many things as satisfying, as a great whiz out of doors once in awhile, when it's absolutely necessary. LOL

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Hmmm. Now it's football related, because it potentially affects our ability to keep and attract players?

I'll buy that!

Yea Scott, especially when the player most concerned is Nick Barnett.

It seems, some of the people that enjoy this Forum don't feel the same about Ole Nick, but I happen to think he stands in there better then some of the poles we have.

Am I the only poster here that appreciates Nicks contribution to OUR team?

chain_gang
06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
More Club FiveSix Problems
June 30, 2006

There are more problems this morning for Green Bay Packer and business owner Nick Barnett.

Police and a city worker were at his Club FiveSix Friday morning, painting over graffiti. The Green Bay Police Department says there were racial slurs and a swastika, but would be more specific on what was written. No one is in custody.

Mayor Jim Schmitt was on the scene watching the work being done.

The vandalism comes just a day after Schmitt called on the City Council to rescind its decision to deny the renewal of the club's liquor license. That vote could happen Wednesday.

http://www.wluk.com/common/article.shtml?article_id=1151672947009147

MadtownPacker
06-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Great, all Barnett needed and terrible for GB because it will reflect the whole city. I hope players overlook this but in light of this whole club mess it doesnt look good.

RashanGary
06-30-2006, 11:34 AM
This is bad news. The swastica and racial slurs are further evidence of racism and make it that much more likely that Barnett gets his licence back. At this point, he probably wants to just get out of town. I don't blame him.

Fosco33
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
This is bad news. The swastica and racial slurs are further evidence of racism and make it that much more likely that Barnett gets his licence back. At this point, he probably wants to just get out of town. I don't blame him.

Who are these dumbasses - probably Bears fans.... I can't see anyone in GB trying to drive Barnett and potential future talent out with this childish shit.

RashanGary
06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Some people don't care about the Packers. Some people just don't like black people and I think the uneducated hickville of wisconsin probably has more ignorant racists than most places.

Fosco33
06-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Some people don't care about the Packers. Some people just don't like black people and I think the uneducated hickville of wisconsin probably has more ignorant racists than most places.

I won't ignore that uneducated people have racist tendencies. I've spent time in the south - they don't 'hide' their hate there but openly display it with the rebel flag.

If I were Barnett, I'd just install a bunch of cameras around the lot and catch the moron's face/car and see if they have Illinois tags :wink:

RashanGary
06-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah..It's not just Wisconsin, but it's really annoying to see this shit happen.

4and12to12and4
06-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm glad to see so many posters here are in Barnett's corner. The city council should have worked out an abatement deal with Barnett to begin with. How could they have not seen all this coming. Have they ever even heard of foresight????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

Now 8 of them are going to eat crow. But, too little too late, this will be long remembered by many a FA in the coming years!!

woodbuck27
07-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Nick Barnett vs. the city of Green Bay

Barnett’s battle with the city of Green Bay has become national news, and the reports make city officials look like a bunch of buffoons, at best, or racists, at worst.

A Cliff’s Notes version to recap: Barnett opened the FiveSix Ultra Lounge in Green Bay’s historic — and sometimes troubled — Broadway district. Recently, Barnett lost his liquor license because of a litany of troubles at, and outside, his establishment.

Then, earlier in the week, another troubled downtown Green Bay club, HipCats, had its liquor license renewed. The laundry list of police calls to HipCats dwarfs the calls to FiveSix, though FiveSix is the only club of the two to have complaints from neighbors.

On the surface, the city’s decision doesn’t make sense. Is it making an example of Barnett? Is the city somehow scared of a minority-owned business drawing a largely minority clientele?

The big thing a lot of outsiders are failing to note is that FiveSix was licensed to be a restaurant, first, and nightclub. Instead, FiveSix basically is just a nightclub.

That Barnett misled the city about his intentions with FiveSix is wrong. But the fact that a marquee member of the Green Bay Packers would want to build a business in an area that has been a revolving door of opening and closing businesses should be reason enough for the city — as

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Opinion ~~

BARNETT'S BAR DEBACLE
WILL NOT EASILY BE FORGOTTEN

By Mike Woods / postcrescent.com

Packers linebacker and club owner Nick Barnett gets a first-hand taste of racism this week. Where do you start?

While the racial slur and swastikas spray painted on the wall of his FiveSix club in downtown Green Bay were disgusting enough, they still paled in comparison to the actions of local government officials earlier in the week. While Barnett's club was frequently visited by local police because of poor customer behavior and was denied renewal of his liquor license because of it, another club with an even longer rap sheet was allowed to keep its liquor license under an approved abatement plan. How is this fair? You're right, it isn't. And when an African-American is the owner of FiveSix, there is a perception that says something else is at work.

Then came the jaywalking citation issued to Barnett (I must be the luckiest guy around, for I've somehow gotten away with this crime no less than 6,472 times). Yeah, something else definitely is going on here. Yet this is not just a poor reflection on Green Bay, but all of us. Perception rules the day here, and we've now graduated from being viewed as community with Lambeau Field as its centerpiece surrounded by dairy farms and snow, whose residents wear foam wedges of cheese on their heads, to a racist community as well.

That's just freaking fantastic. I honestly feel sorry for Barnett. First, he was one of the rare Packers players who actually invested in this community. I mean, how many of these guys even buy homes here? Barnett bought a run-down theater, refurbished it, and tried to do things right. And this is his thanks? He will be able to recover from the financial hit this will bring, but the emotional scars may never go away.

You've got to ask yourself, how long will it be before another African-American member of the Packers thinks it's a good idea to invest his money and soul in the Greater Fox Cities? And for those of you who make the Packers a focal point of your life, what do you think this is going to do for the future enticement of free agents? Or to keep players like Barnett around? The Packers already have to fight the reality of being a small town and the perception it snows here 10 months a year. And now this.

This issue will die down here soon enough — unless Jeff Foxworthy decides to make us a part of his act — but certainly the shelf life in NFL locker rooms will last much longer. This whole situation has been sad and embarrassing. We're better than this. At least I thought so.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 10:17 AM
The swastica and racial slurs are further evidence of racism and make it that much more likely that Barnett gets his licence back.

My first reaction when I read this story was that someone who supports Barnett made the graffiti.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
The swastica and racial slurs are further evidence of racism and make it that much more likely that Barnett gets his licence back.

My first reaction when I read this story was that someone who supports Barnett made the graffiti.

Ahh. . . there's that dark side surfacing HH. Yet, certainly the FBI has to be involved.

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
OK, Woody, I admit it - I did it. My intentions were good, Barnett has not gotten a fair shake by the G.B. fans. Please, just leave the police and FBI out of it.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Posted June 30, 2006

Barnett’s jaywalking warning adds to controversy with city

By Kelly McBride
kmcbride@greenbaypressgazette.com

The FiveSix Ultra Lounge nightclub may get another chance after Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt on Thursday called for the City Council to rescind a previous decision regarding the club’s liquor license.

The move comes amid mounting controversy surrounding FiveSix and its owner, Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett.

At its June 6 meeting, the council voted to deny liquor license renewal for FiveSix, which has had numerous police calls and complaints from neighbors.

But accusations of unfair treatment and even racism have surfaced, particularly after a city committee on Monday recommended that Hip Cats — a similarly troubled location — be able to keep its license under an approved abatement plan.

The controversy grew earlier this week when Barnett received a written warning for jaywalking after a television interview at his club. Two members of the local media who were with Barnett didn’t receive one.

Although Schmitt evaded questions connecting the two events at the Thursday news conference, national media attention surrounding the story had some speculating that the city was engaging in damage control.

“Oh sure,” said Alderman and council President Chad Fradette, commenting on the connection. “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s making the city look stupid.”

Fradette, along with Aldermen Chris Wery, Celestine Jeffreys and Thomas Weber, voted against denying license renewal during the council’s June 6 meeting. But as new information has surfaced regarding FiveSix — and with the mayor’s call for rescinding the decision Thursday — some other aldermen said they might change their minds.

“I definitely have decided to back Nick on his second chance,” said Alderman Jerry Wiezbiskie, adding that he’s also fully supportive of Schmitt.

Alderman Thomas De Wane said he’d be happy to give Barnett a second chance — if he sees that steps are being taken toward improvement for the club.

Fradette thinks the council will have enough votes to rescind the decision and allow license renewal under a mutually agreed-upon abatement plan. The mayor’s public statement Thursday — which Fradette characterized as “not quite an order, but it’s more than a request” — should change some minds, Fradette said.

The mayor could have vetoed the council’s decision within five days, his office said. But at that point, Schmitt didn’t have all the facts about the process, he said.

“I think there’s a lot of information that came through between then and now. … Quite honestly, that’s the first time I had an experience with a quasi-judicial hearing,” Schmitt said. “I thought the remedy was much quicker. I thought we could work it through the normal channels.”

The jaywalking warning was issued by Dave Schmitz — the same city police officer who testified about FiveSix at the June 6 council meeting.

During that meeting, Schmitz talked about a variety of incidents at FiveSix, ranging from a New Year’s Day parking lot shooting to loitering, underage drinkers and weapons being allowed inside. He also accused Barnett of using his cell phone to take a photo of an individual who testified at the May 31 Protection and Welfare Committee meeting.

“It could affect it, if there’s more to this story than is being fleshed out,” Fradette said about further action on FiveSix. “It seems like there’s more to this from Officer Schmitz and Nick Barnett.”

Fradette said he doesn’t think the jaywalking warning was racially motivated.

City Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle also dismissed racism speculation Thursday, saying that the warning shouldn’t have been issued but that it wasn’t racially motivated. The warning has since been wiped from Barnett’s record.

Just a handful of written warnings and citations were issued for jaywalking in the past year, Van Schyndle said. The reporter and photographer with Barnett didn’t receive a written warning because it was Schmitz’s first contact with them, he added. But since Barnett owns the club, he knew jaywalking was an issue.

Schmitz has been reassigned and will no longer be involved in policing FiveSix, Van Schyndle said.

Barnett, who is black, declined comment on possible racism during Thursday’s press conference.

Some city officials are concerned that perception becomes reality in such cases.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m worried about the perception of the city. I am,” Schmitt said Thursday. “I was getting phone calls about this that weren’t true.”

The council could move to consider rescinding its action and look at an abatement plan for FiveSix at its Wednesday meeting. Someone from that body would have to make a motion to do so.

As for Barnett, he expressed the desire to move forward Thursday. Many of the club’s problems are being fixed, he said.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve been over there and I’ve been in communication with the neighbors over there,” he said. “ââ⠚¬Â¦ I’m satisfied that we are headed in the direction we are right now.”

This will blow over. woodbuck27

Harlan Huckleby
07-04-2006, 10:34 AM
this jaywalking thing sounds like a hoax.

MJZiggy
07-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the city council has finally figured out that if they don't renew this license in a city of PackerBackers, they don't get reelected.

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
this jaywalking thing sounds like a hoax.

No ! No ! NO !

It's a major screwup. ALL . . . to the Damage Control Stations. We have . . . an emergency.

MJZiggy
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
The whole thing is idiotic. The licensing should have been handled 1000X better, the jaywalking thing should never have been written--more like the cop should have said "don't do that." and whoever vandalized that club should be used as a blocking dummy for training camp in hopes that they are effectively removed from the gene pool or at the very least, rendered incapable of reproducing said genes.

GrnBay007
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
This whole thing is beginning to look very embarassing for the city of Green Bay. The council/mayor needs to get a handle on what's going on there. This type of thing can snowball very easily and make GB look very ugly.

Joemailman
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
This whole thing is beginning to look very embarassing for the city of Green Bay. The council/mayor needs to get a handle on what's going on there. This type of thing can snowball very easily and make GB look very ugly.

Agreed. When Holmgren came to Green Bay, he felt he needed to fight the image that black players and coaches would not feel comfortable in Green Bay. The perception that some had of Green Bay is one reason why the signing of Reggie White was such a huge signing at the time, and why people in places like Chicago were so dismayed by it. It would be a shame if McCarthy had to fight this fight all over again.

It sounds to me like the mayor understands the problem, but I'm not so sure about the City Council or the Police Chief.

MJZiggy
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM

Agreed. When Holmgren came to Green Bay, he felt he needed to fight the image that black players and coaches would not feel comfortable in Green Bay. The perception that some had of Green Bay is one reason why the signing of Reggie White was such a huge signing at the time, and why people in places like Chicago were so dismayed by it. It would be a shame if McCarthy had to fight this fight all over again.

It sounds to me like the mayor understands the problem, but I'm not so sure about the City Council or the Police Chief.

Of they screw it up, they'll be gone. If they don't realize that then they deserve to be gone.

GBRulz
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I cannot tell you all how embarassing this is for those of us that actually live here in GB. Our city council has basically killed downtown GB. Yet they are the first ones to bitch about how everyone is flocking down the river to Ashwaubenon, which is growing by leaps and bounds.

Right now, it's the mayor vs. city council, which is a bad portrayal of any city. I am 100% in favor of Barnett & Co as I think the council made a bad decision here.

The issue with the jaywalking citation, which the cop later said "was a mistake" only escalated the racial issue.

Do I think it's a racial issue? Not really. (the jaywalking issue, yes) I think city council tried to use a high-profile person, such as Barnett to politicize their message that they are trying to clean up downtown and will not put up with places that attract trouble.

I hear so many times how lucky I am to live in GB because of the Packers, blah blah blah. during football season, yes, it's the greatest place to be. But the small-minded, blue collar conservative mindset of so many that live here have me often asking myself WHY I live here.

A good place to start is by telling the most useless city council member of them all, Guy Zima, to go F himself :wink: This can be accomplished by going to his website at http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/council_poll_location_o.html guyzima1@yahoo.com

This is the guy that told the mayor to "Stick it up his ass" last Feb. He also tried chasing the Phat Dog vendors out of downtown and also got busted for stealing brats. he's quite a guy! How he keeps getting reelected is beyond me!

Bretsky
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Where in the heck is the spirit in Green Bay ? I'd like to organize a protest of females to make a point against the political incorrectness in Green Bay.

I'd like a few EC Gals to help me with the topless protest; of course I'm just trying to garner some attention to make a strong point.

I saw it on TV once; it garnered my attention :mrgreen:

Cheers,
B

MJZiggy
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Where in the heck is the spirit in Green Bay ? I'd like to organize a protest of females to make a point against the political incorrectness in Green Bay.

I'd like a few EC Gals to help me with the topless protest; of course I'm just trying to garner some attention to make a strong point.

I saw it on TV once; it garnered my attention :mrgreen:

Cheers,
B

Can't they just publicly flog this Zima dude to let the world know that this is not how the people in GB treat their minority business owners? You need someone to run against him.

GBRulz
07-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Zima lives like 2-3 blocks from me, so because I live in his district, i can technically run against him...muahaha

SD GB fan
07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
hey i remember last year i jaywalked from my school to my house..i turned around and i saw a police just staring at me. lucky he felt lazy or something. funny now looking back on it but boy that was stupid.

GBRulz
07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
City OKs FiveSix liquor license

Owner Barnett agrees to abatement plan

By Kelly McBride
kmcbride@greenbaypressgazette.com

After 30 days of turmoil, FiveSix Ultra Lounge and its owner, Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett, are getting another shot.

A month ago, the Green Bay City Council dealt what could have been the fatal blow to the future of FiveSix, the embattled downtown nightclub that has been the source of police calls and resident complaints.

The city — and Barnett — have been through a lot since then. The June 6 denial of the renewal of the club's liquor license set in motion a chain of events that culminated with Mayor Jim Schmitt a week ago asking the council to reverse that decision.

That's exactly what happened Wednesday night, when the City Council did an about-face on the issue, voting 8-3 to allow liquor-license renewal within the confines of a mutually agreed-upon abatement plan.

Among conditions detailed in the plan, the club must make "good faith efforts" to expand its nonalcohol revenue.

Aldermen Andy Nicholson, Gary Kriescher and Guy Zima voted to deny the license renewal. Alderman John Vander Leest was absent and did not vote.

"Obviously I'm happy, you know, that we finally got this worked out," Barnett said after the vote. "(I'm) surprised that we did get it worked out. I came in here, you know, hopeful, but you never know what happens."

The council spent about 2½ hours re-hashing the FiveSix liquor license issue and related abatement plan. After quickly voting to rescind their decision, council members — and the general public — got another chance to speak about the club.

Several area business owners and On Broadway Inc. director Naletta Burr said they welcomed FiveSix and thought Barnett should be given another chance.

But some of the aldermen raised questions about the newly penned abatement plan, as well as FiveSix's role in terms of serving as a tavern or a restaurant. Questions surrounding the club's principal business have been raised since the issue surfaced.

Controversy has surrounded the Barnett case since the council's June 6 vote. It intensified when a council committee recommended that the liquor license of Hip Cats — a similarly troubled downtown location — be renewed, despite a greater number of police calls to that location.

At its Wednesday meeting, the council voted to approve Hip Cats' license, with a similar abatement plan, as well.

But the turmoil reached its zenith last week when Barnett was issued a written warning for jaywalking by Dave Schmitz, the same community police officer who had made damaging claims about FiveSix during the June 6 meeting. Two members of the local media who were with Barnett at the time didn't receive a written warning.

The question of racism has hovered over Barnett and FiveSix, first when it came to the liquor-license renewal and then when the warning was issued. The reporter and photographer who were with him are both white, while Barnett is black.

That incident garnered national attention last week, creating what council president Chad Fradette called "a black eye for the city" and "an embarrassment."

And amid the questions of racism, vandals struck the outside of FiveSix late last week, spray-painting swastikas and a racial slur.

Although Schmitt declined to connect the liquor license and jaywalking situations when he called for the council to rescind its earlier decision, many — Fradette among them — have said the link is obvious.

The jaywalking warning has been since wiped from Barnett's record.

Barnett said Wednesday he's hoping to move on after the incidents of the past month. And while the graffiti incident was disturbing, he said it's not reflective of the city as a whole.

"I've never really changed my whole thought about the city of Green Bay," Barnett said. "Going through this process, I was a little down about it, but I love living here. I love playing here."

GBRulz
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Very happy that they decided to give him another shot. Note, the three alderman who voted against renewing the license at last night's city council meeting were:

Andy Nicholson
Gary Kriescher
Guy Zima

I will certainly remember those names when it comes to re-election.

While this story has a happy ending, the damage has already been done. Players usually don't live here in the off-season, even less of those who invest in the community like Barnett did with his club. I'm sure others who might have been thinking of doing the same might think otherwise now.

KYPack
07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Hopefully Barnett didn't do his little "victory dance" when the decision came out in his favor.

That could inhibit the healing process.

MJZiggy
07-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Hopefully Barnett didn't do his little "victory dance" when the decision came out in his favor.

That could inhibit the healing process.

I hope he did one of those old movie type dance scenes spanning the desks of Zima, Kreishcer and Nicholson. And had a full entrourage of dancers joining him. Followed by a little tap number on the top of the cop's squad.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
The whole thing probably started because GB has a bunch of conservative politicans who saw Playmakers on ESPN and didnt like the image of rich black atheletes screwing with pretty white girls.

I've always voted demecrat. :)

Fosco33
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Let's see if this news makes it to the front page of SI or ESPN like the jaywalking ticket - probably not as it's not as 'newsworthy' as digging up dirt on shady cops.

Dabaddestbear
07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I think they gave him another chance in hopes that he wil screw up. They realized how much bad pub they were all getting and this is their bandaid of a fix. I just dont believe that after all that has happened they are doing this out of good faith in Barnett. :roll:

MadtownPacker
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I think they gave him another chance in hopes that he wil screw up. They realized how much bad pub they were all getting and this is their bandaid of a fix. I just dont believe that after all that has happened they are doing this out of good faith in Barnett. :roll:Well I would say that is obvious.

This whole thing is no longer about 5-6 or Barnett. It is about a city having to do some damage control. At this point they are hoping everything works out fine with Barnett's club so it never has to be brought up again. The last thing they want to do is have to yank his license again.

GBRulz
07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I think they gave him another chance in hopes that he wil screw up. They realized how much bad pub they were all getting and this is their bandaid of a fix. I just dont believe that after all that has happened they are doing this out of good faith in Barnett. :roll:

You don't think?? :roll:

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I think they gave him another chance in hopes that he wil screw up. They realized how much bad pub they were all getting and this is their bandaid of a fix. I just dont believe that after all that has happened they are doing this out of good faith in Barnett. :roll:Well I would say that is obvious.

This whole thing is no longer about 5-6 or Barnett. It is about a city having to do some damage control. At this point they are hoping everything works out fine with Barnett's club so it never has to be brought up again. The last thing they want to do is have to yank his license again.

Mad. That issue has been 'a whole big piece of crap' that hopefully will go away.

What a nightmare that has been to OUR boy. A really bad hair cut.

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 03:42 PM
GRAFFITI ON BARNETT'S NIGHTCLUB
LABELED AS HATE CRIME BY POLICE

Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Green Bay police say they are treating the case of graffiti painted on FiveSix Ultra Lounge last month as a hate crime because the painting included racial slurs. The building is owned by Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett. As police continue to investigate, the amount of award money offered for information leading to the arrest of the individual or people who painted the graffiti increased to $1,550 Wednesday after additional contributions to the reward fund. Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle said officials hope the increased reward will help crack the case. The reward fund was started by a $50 contribution from Green Bay Ald. Tom De Wane.

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 03:44 PM
REWARD RISING IN FiveSix CASE

By Kelly McBride / Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

GREEN BAY - A $1,000 donation from an Abrams resident has upped the ante for information leading to the arrest of the vandal or vandals who damaged FiveSix Ultra Lounge the morning of June 30. The reward offer started with a $50 contribution from De Wane and has snowballed since. De Wane and the city plan to set up a bank account for the reward money, he said. As for the donor, De Wane is happy she has come forward with the money. "She felt that Nick (Barnett) got a bad deal with the jaywalking and all that," he said. "And she didn't feel that anyone would come forward with the amount we had."

People with information on the vandalism incident can call De Wane at 920-465-7803 and will be allowed to remain anonymous. Nick Barnett, an owner of FiveSix, received a written warning for jaywalking in June while two people who were with him didn't. This happened at the same time the Green Bay Packers linebacker was appealing to the City Council to keep his liquor license.

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Good stuff. Does that mean the reward money is up to $2,550?

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Good stuff. Does that mean the reward money is up to $2,550?

I'm interpreting fr. those reports.

That on Wed. of this week - the award rose to $1550.00 after a $1000.00 dollar contribution bolstered the amount of the reward that began with a $50.00 contribution,Harvey.

Whatever? It's likely higher than $1550.00 today. That maybe isn't enough to bring anyone forward, due to possible repurcussions.

GBRulz
07-22-2006, 08:35 AM
I believe the reward money is current at $1500.

the police are treating this as a hate crime. Personally, I think it was Guy Zima

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Hah! I think Barnett did it to gain public support. If so, it worked! The reward will have to climb considerably before he turns himself in.

I'm only kidding, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it was done by somebody who supports Barnett.

Packers4Ever
07-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Naaah, 007, I'd say it's much more apt to be
because the sauerkraut for the 'dogs' ran out! :smile:
Jude

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I believe the reward money is current at $1500.

the police are treating this as a hate crime. Personally, I think it was Guy Zima

I know it's higher than that now. I know it's at least $2,500 because there was another update in the Green Bay Press Gazette.