PDA

View Full Version : CB- Antoine Cason Interview with Scott Wright

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/antoinecason/antoinecason.html

Antoine Cason Interview

April 16, 2008

You would be hard-pressed to find a college cornerback who has been more productive or highly-decorated the past four years than Arizona's Antoine Cason. But is he as good of a pro prospect as his press-clippings would lead you to believe??? With the 2008 NFL Draft quickly approaching Antoine was kind enough to take a few minutes out of his very busy schedule to talk with NFLDC's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: Your Dad (Wendell) and a couple of cousins (Ken-yon Rambo and Avieon Cason) played in the NFL. With everything they have probably told you about playing at the next level is there one thing that stands out?

Antoine Cason: Be mentally tough, work hard and watch your diet. Those are a couple but the main thing is be mentally tough.

Scott Wright: It seems like when people talk about you as a prospect one of the first things they always bring up is your speed. Do you feel that is an issue?

Antoine Cason: Well, I believe in the official Combine results I ran a 4.45 so that should clarify that.

Scott Wright: There has been some talk that you might have to move to safety in the pros? Are you open to that if a team asks or would you rather stay at corner?

Antoine Cason: I haven’t had any teams ask me to do that so I’m focused on being a corner right now.

Scott Wright: Do you think you’re better suited for a man or zone coverage scheme?

Antoine Cason: Whatever is called I can play.

I don’t have a favorite coverage or thing I like to do, I just like everything that comes with being a corner.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Antoine Cason: I’m an aggressive player, I play smart, I know what’s going on with the defense, good ball skills and just overall understanding of the game. The things I need to work on are just learning the pro game, adapting to the speed of the game, adapting to film study. Stuff like that.

Scott Wright: What current NFL cornerback do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Antoine Cason: I admire more than one but I don’t think I compare to anyone. I try and find things that others do well and make it my own. The ones I like are Asante Samuel, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, (Marcus) Trufant, (Nate) Clements, (Antonio) Cromartie. I watch all of those guys.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Antoine Cason: The Oregon game on Senior Night in 2007. I returned an interception and a punt for a touchdown.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Antoine Cason: Oh, that’s tough because we’ve had plenty of players that were great. We had Reggie Bush, there was Dwayne Jarrett, Demetrius Williams, we’ve had Geoff McArthur, Derek Hagan… There’s been plenty and that’s what makes the Pac-10 so good. DeSean Jackson. I can’t point out just one because those guys are so explosive and so talented.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Arizona that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Antoine Cason: Nate Ness (safety), Mike Thomas (wide receiver), Devin Ross (cornerback), Cameron Nelson (safety). They're going to be players.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Antoine Cason: My first year in Pop Warner the first team I played on was the Patriots so I liked New England. Growing up of course the Falcons just because my father played for them, and then the Cowboys. I like Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Rod Woodson, of course Deion Sanders.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you most looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Antoine Cason: You know I haven’t thought about that, I’m just thinking about putting myself in position to be successful as a young guy in the NFL. Of course you want to go against the best but I just want to get in there and show everyone that I can play with them. I want to play against the top receivers in the league though.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Antoine Cason: When I first got to college and was playing good football. It was a good time for me and at this point I knew I could do it.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Antoine Cason: I’m into real estate, I like doing that. Also commentating and doing analysis for games.

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Antoine Cason: I don’t know… You know with the gas prices I might want to go buy a hybrid Honda or something. That’s a good question though, I haven’t thought about that. Probably just save it up.

Scott Wright: What’s the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Antoine Cason: I have some artists on there that my cousin looks at and laughs at. I got The Fray, Incubus and John Mayer on there that my cousin laughs at. Sometimes you gotta get into a little mood and change it up.

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (i.e. Round 1, Top 2 Rounds, etc.)?

Antoine Cason: I don’t set goals for something that I can’t be in control of. I have no control over who drafts me or where so I don’t really have a goal for that. My goal is to go whether I go, work hard, play the best football I can and play like I know I am capable of.

Scott Wright: Is there one or two teams in particular that you’ve noticed paying more attention to you than others?

Antoine Cason: I don’t really know because it’s such an up and down thing and then of course on Draft Day everything changes. I’m just excited to be surprised with where I go. I have visited Baltimore and the Patriots.

Scott Wright: Is there one team that you think you would fit in well with?

Antoine Cason: That’s tough and I really haven’t thought about that too much in detail just because I don’t know where I’m going to be. Some of the teams in the NFL play the same defense we played in school so that would be an easier transition but wherever I go I’m going to have a good time and play hard.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time and good luck in a couple of weeks!

PACKERS FOREVER!

The Leaper
04-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Clearly he prefers the style of play that Green Bay utilizes for CBs...out of his 6 favorite guys to watch, two of them are Packers.

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Clearly he prefers the style of play that Green Bay utilizes for CBs...out of his 6 favorite guys to watch, two of them are Packers.

Scott Wright: What current NFL cornerback do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Antoine Cason: I admire more than one but I don’t think I compare to anyone. I try and find things that others do well and make it my own. The ones I like are Asante Samuel, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, (Marcus) Trufant, (Nate) Clements, (Antonio) Cromartie. I watch all of those guys

This fella or go for a two time Pro Bowler ( Lito Sheppard ) for possibly a third round pick?

I wonder if TT is talking to Philly?

Packers Forever!

Zool
04-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Both Sheppard and Cason. I have a feeling this might be the last season we see Al Harris. Just a gut feeling, not basing it off anything specific.

Guiness
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
I like this interview, it seems like he was able to give a little thought, then answer the questions alright - does anyone think the last first round corner we drafted could've given an interview like this??? :roll:

sheepshead
04-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I like this interview, it seems like he was able to give a little thought, then answer the questions alright - does anyone think the last first round corner we drafted could've given an interview like this??? :roll:

God no, he was brutal with a mic in his face!

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Both Sheppard and Cason. I have a feeling this might be the last season we see Al Harris. Just a gut feeling, not basing it off anything specific.

Yup. Time to step it up Zool.

I thought Al Harris looked terrible against TO and Plaxico Burress. I really feel we need more at Rt. CB. Time to build a defensive force. Not a tenth to twelth ramked 'D'.

We need to improve on 'D' not maintain a status quo. Solid CB's are so important.

Packers Forever!

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Whoops Dbl. post! Like that Lady on " the spritzer salad dressing commercial ". Trigger happy. :D

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Let's run that ? by Mad, Guiness. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Gunakor
04-17-2008, 09:16 AM

I think Harris will be around for more than a year, but if his play continues it's gradual decline during the season this year I doubt it will be as a starting cornerback. They could move him to nickel, but I don't see them moving Al to safety. Al's strength is playing at the line and getting in WR's faces at the snap of the ball. He wouldn't be as effective lining up 8-10 yards off the line.

I absolutely agree that if we could get Sheppard for one of our second round picks, we should definitely still go after Cason in the first. If we have to package our first and our third to move ahead of the 'Boys to get him, I'd still be okay with that. Sheppard has probably 4 or 5 more years before we see a decline in play due to age, so he would replace whichever of our starting corners retires/loses his job first. Cason would replace the other, and given TT's willingness to reward players who have earned raises and extentions I'd think he'd be around long term as well. We'd have at least 4 years (perhaps more) to find and groom a corner to eventually replace Sheppard, who's under contract through 2011. No panic. We can be patient and find the right guy - and make sure he's ready to start before we throw him out there (unlike what Sherman did with Carroll out of need). I like it.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I like this interview, it seems like he was able to give a little thought, then answer the questions alright

Agreed. Thoughtful responses. Good answer to the speed question.

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM

I think Harris will be around for more than a year, but if his play continues it's gradual decline during the season this year I doubt it will be as a starting cornerback. They could move him to nickel, but I don't see them moving Al to safety. Al's strength is playing at the line and getting in WR's faces at the snap of the ball. He wouldn't be as effective lining up 8-10 yards off the line.

I absolutely agree that if we could get Sheppard for one of our second round picks, we should definitely still go after Cason in the first. If we have to package our first and our third to move ahead of the 'Boys to get him, I'd still be okay with that. Sheppard has probably 4 or 5 more years before we see a decline in play due to age, so he would replace whichever of our starting corners retires/loses his job first. Cason would replace the other, and given TT's willingness to reward players who have earned raises and extentions I'd think he'd be around long term as well. We'd have at least 4 years (perhaps more) to find and groom a corner to eventually replace Sheppard, who's under contract through 2011. No panic. We can be patient and find the right guy - and make sure he's ready to start before we throw him out there (unlike what Sherman did with Carroll out of need). I like it.

Right on! Lito Sheppard and some strong prospect.

Let's hope. :D

PACKERS FOREVER.

run pMc
04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think TT would bring in Sheppard unless he unloads Harris or Woodson, or moves one of them to safety. Drafting a corner and developing him along with Williams, Blackmon and Bush is more likely.

Good CBs are important, but the NYG showed you can hide bad CBs with a good DL.

Cason interviewed well for this story. Don't know how well he can play press coverage though...anybody have any word on this? I thought I read somewhere that Cason wasn't a real physical guy, but I could be wrong.

Gunakor
04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't think TT would bring in Sheppard unless he unloads Harris or Woodson, or moves one of them to safety. Drafting a corner and developing him along with Williams, Blackmon and Bush is more likely.

Good CBs are important, but the NYG showed you can hide bad CBs with a good DL.

Cason interviewed well for this story. Don't know how well he can play press coverage though...anybody have any word on this? I thought I read somewhere that Cason wasn't a real physical guy, but I could be wrong.

Cason has excelled in physical press coverage. He isn't afraid to get in a WR's face at the line. His techique might need some work to match up with elite NFL WR's, but I wouldn't expect him to start for a year or two anyway. He's better coming out of the draft than Bush or Blackmon or Williams are, so he can step in and be our nickel as a rookie. By the time he's starting, he'll have had a couple years to work with Lionel Washington on technique. He'll be a solid starter in this league.

oregonpackfan
04-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I watched the Arizona-Oregon game in 2007 which he called his "greatest football moment." Cason cites his returning an interception and a punt return for touchdowns as highlights.

What he does not mention is that the guy was all over the field for the rest of the game. Not only is he great in pass coverage and tackling against the run, he is very instinctive.

I don't know if there was a designated MVP for that game, but he certainly had to be it. When you hear the term "Game-changer" Antoine Cason has to come to mind.

woodbuck27
04-18-2008, 01:08 AM
I watched the Arizona-Oregon game in 2007 which he called his "greatest football moment." Cason cites his returning an interception and a punt return for touchdowns as highlights.

What he does not mention is that the guy was all over the field for the rest of the game. Not only is he great in pass coverage and tackling against the run, he is very instinctive.

I don't know if there was a designated MVP for that game, but he certainly had to be it. When you hear the term "Game-changer" Antoine Cason has to come to mind.

Nice and thanks for the insider.

Packers Forever!