PDA

View Full Version : No Butt Stabbing for Taylor

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2006, 09:54 AM
'Skins' Taylor avoids jail, placed on 18 months' probation
June 1, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has reached an agreement with prosecutors to drop felony charges against him and plead no contest to two misdemeanors in his assault case, avoiding jail time and the possibility of missing any of the upcoming NFL season.

The deal calls for Taylor to be placed on 18 months' probation, talk to students at 10 Miami-Dade County schools about staying in school and make contributions of $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools, defense attorney Richard Sharpstein said Thursday. A hearing was scheduled for later in the day.

Taylor, 23, had faced a maximum of 46 years in prison if convicted on three aggravated assault charges and one misdemeanor charge stemming from a confrontation last June with a group of people in a dispute over all-terrain vehicles that Taylor owns. Trial had been scheduled to start July 10.

Under the plea deal, the aggravated assault charges will be dropped and Taylor will plead no contest to misdemeanor counts of simple battery and simple assault. If he does not violate probation, even those charges would be eliminated from his record.

"This is a fair and just resolution to this case that was blown out of proportion from the beginning," Sharpstein said. "It's a great outcome for Sean."

The agreement came after the original prosecutor on the case, Michael Grieco, resigned in April after Taylor's lawyers claimed he was using the notoriety to promote his moonlighting business as a nightclub disc jockey. Grieco had posted links to news articles about the case on a personal Internet site.

Taylor's lawyers had repeatedly questioned whether the charges were warranted and whether the victims and witnesses in the case -- many of whom have criminal records -- were reliable.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, signed a seven-year, $18 million contract with the Redskins after he was drafted in 2004. He has six interceptions and 120 tackles in two NFL seasons, but has become almost as well-known for his troubles.

Taylor has been fined seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a January playoff game. He was also fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

__________________________________________________ ______________

I have a question, how can a district attorney look himself in the mirror with agreeing to a plea bargain that reduces 3 felonies to 2 misdemeanors, reducing his sentence from a total of 46 years in prison to 18 months of probation? What a joke. I am sure that the 10,000 dollars is really going to effect his lifestyle as well, really put a big dent in his pocket book.

Second, what the hell is the first district attorney doing running a night club? What kind of legal system are they running in Miami?

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
So spitting on Michael Pittman cost him more than aggravated assault, huh?

chain_gang
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, now that's a crock. Only in professional sports I guess.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a real nice guy!

Wonder what the chances are of a guy like that going 18 months probation without assaulting someone again.

FavreChild
06-01-2006, 10:11 AM
If you're a Miami-Dade County parent, do you really want Sean Taylor coming to school to talk to your kids?

That's gotta have more unintentional comedy than Lawrence Taylor's football camp in The Waterboy.

"Which brings me to my second point, kids. Don't do crack."

Joemailman
06-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe this is a case of an athlete getting preferential treatment. Or maybe this is a case of a overzealous prosecutor bringing charges against a famous athlete to boost his own notoriety. Certainly it would appear from what was written in the article that the prosecutor had acted in a highly unprofessional manner. I haven't really been following the story, so I'm not prepared to make a judgement. Hopefully, Taylor will realize he dodged a bullet here and will avoid such situations in the future.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 10:15 AM
If you're a Miami-Dade County parent, do you really want Sean Taylor coming to school to talk to your kids?

Taylor: "Kids, it's really important to stay in school. BUT, if anyone fcks with you, let me show you a few moves."

Fritz
06-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Taylor: "Kids, it's really important to stay in school. BUT, if anyone fcks with you, let me show you a few moves."

Now THAT'S hilarious.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
good one, 007 !!

Perhaps he could also sponsor a spitting competition at each school...

red
06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
man, it must be nice to have that kind of pull. to admitt being guilty to some of the charges and still go from 46 years in jail to no time at all

must be nice

MadtownPacker
06-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Great title Nutty Buddy!

At least this will encourage CRodgers to excel on gameday. :mrgreen:

Mazzin
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Can someone post the "spitting story" on Micheal Pittman, never heard it....Thanks in advanced.

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Updated: Jan. 9, 2006, 7:12 PM ET
Redskins' Taylor fined $17K for spitting at PittmanESPN.com news services

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was fined $17,000 for spitting in the face of Michael Pittman during Saturday's 17-10 wild-card win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Taylor

The fine is equivalent to Taylor's game check for the wild-card game.

Taylor was ejected and penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for spitting at Pittman in the third quarter of Saturday's playoff game. The offense was considered so egregious that Pittman wasn't penalized for slapping Taylor in the helmet in retaliation.

The amount of the fine is the playoff bonus each Redskins player received for the first-round game, which the Redskins won 17-10.

Taylor escaped suspension for his action, keeping him on the active roster for this week's game at Seattle.

"He's just a passionate player out there," right tackle Chris Samuels said. "This upcoming game he'll be able to redeem himself. I don't think he'll make that mistake again."

Taylor did not comment after the game, and Monday was a day off for players. He has told teammates and coaches that he did not spit at Pittman, and coach Joe Gibbs said a review of the video was inconclusive.

"If that took place, we understand the penalties," Gibbs said. "We understand somebody being taken out of the game. Sean is so valuable to us. I had a long talk with him afterward, and he understands that. He's all football. He wants to play. He's one of our leaders. He's had an outstanding year. He's very valuable to us. We can't afford to lose somebody like that."

Taylor has been fined several times in his two-year career for a bevy of infractions, including $25,000 for skipping the league's mandatory rookie symposium. He has several in-season fines for illegal hits and uniform violations, including $5,000 for wearing striped socks that resembled a barber pole in this year's home game against Philadelphia.

He was investigated by the league last season for allegedly spitting at Cincinnati receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but no fine was levied because there was no video evidence.

Taylor also had a drunken driving charge last season that was later dismissed. He is scheduled to go on trial next week in Miami on a felony charge of aggravated assault stemming from a June 1 confrontation near his home, although he is expected to request a postponement because of the Redskins' playoff run.

Taylor has been praised by coaches and teammates for taking a more professional approach this season. He's also solidified his role as the defense's best young player and hardest hitter. He has returned a fumble for a touchdown in two straight games.

"He's turned his life around," defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin said. "He's been a more positive guy. He's been a great role model on the field."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Mazzin
06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
sounds like an out right THUG to me and wouldn't 'want him on my team....Thanks GBM wow that was fast!

MadtownPacker
06-01-2006, 12:01 PM
sounds like an out right THUG to me and wouldn't 'want him on my team....Thanks GBM wow that was fast!
Sorry but I would take Taylor in a heartbeat. Him and Collins would be devastating for years to come. Besides, whats a lil spit?

chain_gang
06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah Taylor is a hell of a talent, and that guy can hit.

Last year wasn't he going to hold out on the Redskins for a new contract. Kind of an odd duck if you want to hold out after your rookie year. I think I read that somewhere last year.

That'd be the main reason I wouldn't want him on my team.