PDA

View Full Version : F*cking Art Students

SkinBasket
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Ah, Yale. Society's elite. I hope her parents are proud.

Yale Art Student Claims She Used Blood Samples, Video of Self-Induced Abortions for Senior Project

A Yale student who claims she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" and then took drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project says she will showcase the stomach-turning display next week — complete with her own blood samples and videos from the terminated possible pregnancies.

The story of art major Aliza Shvarts' upcoming exhibit, which the Yale Daily News broke Thursday, has sparked widespread disgust and outrage.

"It’s clearly depraved. I think the poor woman has got some major mental problems," said National Right to Life Committee President Wanda Franz. "She’s a serial killer. This is just a horrible thought."

Critics on campus have said the display sounds like a shock-and-awe look at the highly sensitive issue of abortion and called it a sick stunt to get attention.

But Shvarts said the goal of the project is to encourage debate and discussion about the connection between art and the human body.

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts, whose age was withheld, told Yale's newspaper. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

Shvarts' campus phone has been disconnected, and she did not respond to e-mailed requests for an interview. Yale University and the abortion-rights group NARAL Pro-Choice America also did not return calls seeking comment.

Shvarts told the school paper that her sperm donors, whom she declined to identify, were not paid for their participation, but added that she did require them to be screened for STDs.

The drugs she took to induce contractions and miscarriages were legal and herbal in nature, according to Shvarts — who didn't specify what they were. The art major insisted that she wasn't concerned about the effects of her research on her own body.

But ob-gyn Dr. Manuel Alvarez, FOXNews.com's health managing editor, said the young woman should have been worried because what she was doing was extremely unsafe.

"It’s quite dangerous," said Alvarez. "She was playing Russian roulette with her life, if she indeed did this to these unborn children for the sake of art. I don’t even have the words to express the disbelief that I have."

Alvarez said herbal remedies to trigger uterine contractions have long been used in countries where abortions are illegal — including certain raspberry teas and strong cinnamon teas — but they are far from consistently effective, and they tend to be risky.

"They interfere with pregnancy and are either toxic to the fetus or cause contractions," he explained. "The reason they are effective is that they create side effects, but none of them are 100 percent prescriptive to be abortive."

Shvarts wouldn't say how many times she was artificially inseminated and actually got pregnant for the project — which she described to the Yale paper as a huge cube hanging from the ceiling and swathed in plastic sheeting smeared with her blood from the reported miscarriages. The existence and number of pregnancies Shvarts may have had weren't independently confirmed.

Videos taken of what the college student says were self-induced abortions in her bathtub will be projected both on the cube's sides and on the gallery walls.

The exhibit will be on public display from April 22 to May 1 at Yale's Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall. Shvarts will be honored at a reception April 25.

Franz likened Shvarts' process of artificial insemination and induced miscarriages to the human experimentation that took place during the Holocaust. She said the Yale senior's work highlights a stark truth about American society's approach to abortion.

"She really has hit on a reality that what she has done is legal," said Franz. "Anything she chooses to do here can’t be stopped in terms of legality. And there are people fighting for her right to do this."

Alvarez believes such an endeavor in the name of art is offensive, harmful and insensitive, especially to women who face difficult choices about pregnancy or who aren't able to conceive.

"Anybody who trivializes a woman’s choice to terminate a pregnancy is really not contributing anything positive to these matters," he said. "I don’t see anything artistic about this. ... It’s completely unethical and immoral. What have we accomplished? Absolutely nothing."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351608,00.html

Scott Campbell
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
The art major insisted that she wasn't concerned about the effects of her research on her own body.

Well that's nice. Then I guess she won't mind when some crazed pro life extremist puts a bullet in her forehead.

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
But Shvarts said the goal of the project is to encourage debate and discussion about the connection between art and the human body.

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts, whose age was withheld, told Yale's newspaper. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

I suppose she beleives the part about inspiring discussion about art & body. But if she wasn't trying to "scandalize" people, she could have used fake blood.

red
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
whether you're pro life or pro choice, thats just really screwed up

SkinBasket
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I suppose she beleives the part about inspiring discussion about art & body.

Even that is hard to believe. Unless she considers cum filled turkey basters, dead embryos and vaginal bleeding "art."

red
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
and yale is going to honor her at a banquet for this?

i'm sorry, i'm pro choice, but i hope the banquet hall goes bye-bye in a poof with her and all her supporters in it

BallHawk
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Even Van Gogh would say this is excessive.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Not saying she is lying, but i certainly can see that this could be "performance art" based..and that this whole uproar is part of the "art" piece.

She may have exaggerated what she has done.

Deputy Nutz
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Should you bring your own fork or will they provide them for you? What about crackers, any crackers?

Freak Out
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Should you bring your own fork or will they provide them for you? What about crackers, any crackers?

Wasabi?

Ok...sorry for that.

Kiwon
04-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Com'on guys, there's nothing to joke about here.

This sicko, under the cloak of academic freedom, is being rewarded with an art exhibition and getting away with behavior that under any other context would have her in state custody for mental reasons.

Notice also that the news announcement is timed to the Pope's visit to the US. What a contrast.

Shock and awe.... that's what she wants.

BTW, what would this lady's fate be in an Islamic society? The boilerplate "America is corrupt and oppressive" narrative just doesn't fly.

MJZiggy
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
The boilerplate "America is corrupt and oppressive" narrative just doesn't fly.

I don't see anyone defending her. No one has said that America is treating her badly. These people are just kinda sick and like to ridicule...

SkinBasket
04-17-2008, 09:55 PM
These people are just kinda sick and like to ridicule...

Who are "these people?"

the_idle_threat
04-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Wasabi?

Ok...sorry for that.

I'm guessing meatball sandwiches.

GrnBay007
04-17-2008, 11:47 PM
There's something very wrong with someone that would even come up with this idea...much less play it out.

Maybe one day she will want children and not be able to have them and her day in the spotlight will come back to haunt her.

CyclonePackFan
04-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Well, there is some good news, and it has nothing to do with GEICO.

She didn't actually do it. FOX News has updated the article. She's claiming it's "Creative Fiction," a form of "performance art."

Still, the fact that someone would even come up with shit like this is seriously screwed up. If I ever met her, I'll be sure to ask her what she thinks of my "performance" as I lodge my foot up her ass.

Yale Officials Conclude Student's Shocking Claim of 'Abortion Art' Was 'Creative Fiction'

Yale University officials issued a strongly worded statement Thursday night explaining that a student's shocking claim that she had artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" and then took drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project was "creative fiction."

The student, Aliza Shvarts, told three senior Yale University officials, including two deans, that she did not do the things she claimed in her art project, according to the statement.

"The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body," said Helaine S. Klasky, associate dean and vice president for public affairs in a statement sent to FOXNews.com. "Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art. Her art project includes visual representations, a press release and other narrative materials."

"She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art," Klasky wrote.

The Yale Daily News broke the story earlier in the day. Before the university had announced that Shvarts didn't actually perform the acts, news of the project sparked widespread disgust and outrage.

"It’s clearly depraved. I think the poor woman has got some major mental problems," National Right to Life Committee President Wanda Franz said. "She’s a serial killer. This is just a horrible thought."

The timing of Klasky's statement — more than 10 hours after the school paper published the story, which was picked up by several Web news outlets — indicated that Yale officials had taken Shvarts' claims seriously enough to launch a full-scale investigation.

"Her art project includes visual representations," Klasky wrote. "[Schvarts] stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body," she wrote. "Had these acts been real they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns."

The stomach-turning display will be showcased next week — complete with depictions of blood samples and videos purporting to be from the terminated pregnancies.

Critics on campus have said the display sounds like a shock-and-awe look at the highly sensitive issue of abortion and called it a sick stunt to get attention. The abortion-rights group NARAL Pro-Choice America also condemned the exhibit.

"This 'project' is offensive and insensitive to the women who have suffered the heartbreak of miscarriage," NARAL's communication director Ted Miller said in a statement.

But Shvarts has said the goal of the project is to encourage debate and discussion about the connection between art and the human body.

The senior's campus phone has been disconnected, and she did not respond to e-mailed requests for an interview.

Shvarts told the school paper that her sperm donors, whom she declined to identify, were not paid for their participation but added that she did require them to be screened for STDs.

The drugs she claimed to have taken to induce contractions and miscarriages were legal and herbal in nature, according to Shvarts — who didn't specify what they were. The art major also insisted she wasn't concerned about the effects of her research on her own body.

Had she impregnated herself, ob-gyn Dr. Manuel Alvarez said the young woman should have been worried because such actions are extremely unsafe. Alvarez, FOXNews.com's health managing editor, described forced miscarriages as "playing Russian roulette" with a pregnant woman's life.

Shvarts described her project to the Yale paper as a huge cube hanging from the ceiling and swathed in plastic sheeting smeared with her blood from the reported miscarriages. Videos taken of what the college student claimed were self-induced abortions in her bathtub will be projected both on the cube's sides and on the gallery walls.

The exhibit will be on public display from April 22 to May 1 at Yale's Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall. Shvarts will be honored at a reception April 25.

Alvarez, who spoke about the project before the university had announced it was a work of fiction, said a real endeavor of this kind in the name of art would be offensive, harmful and insensitive, especially to women who face difficult choices about pregnancy or who aren't able to conceive.

"Anybody who trivializes a woman’s choice to terminate a pregnancy is really not contributing anything positive to these matters," he said.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Paint me uncultured for not seeing art in any of this, I guess.

falco
04-18-2008, 07:31 AM
it would appear she elicited just the response she was looking for from this crowd...

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
it would appear she elicited just the response she was looking for from this crowd...

What response is that? Universal disgust? Reinforcing the idea that art students are generally attention seeking emos who think they're more clever than everyone else? A diminished view of her school? The further erosion of the concept of art?

This makes Yams Up My Granny's Ass look like Pulitzer prize material.

Zool
04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
LOOK AT ME! I'm an individual and very unique. And even though I dont like mainstream society, I really want to be noticed by everyone and grab my 15 minutes while I can.

LOOK AT ME!

The Leaper
04-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Not saying she is lying, but i certainly can see that this could be "performance art" based..and that this whole uproar is part of the "art" piece.

So I guess you consider the deuce I left in the toliet yesterday "performance art"?

LL2
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
There's something very wrong with someone that would even come up with this idea...much less play it out.

Maybe one day she will want children and not be able to have them and her day in the spotlight will come back to haunt her.

You reap what you sow!

This is the most disgusting. If her goal was to help the pro-choice side I don't think it worked.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM

What response is that? Universal disgust? Reinforcing the idea that art students are generally attention seeking emos who think they're more clever than everyone else? A diminished view of her school? The further erosion of the concept of art?

This makes Yams Up My Granny's Ass look like Pulitzer prize material.

I don't know, it made me hungry.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM

So I guess you consider the deuce I left in the toliet yesterday "performance art"?

Depends, did you do a retrospective dance, did you recite a poem?

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 11:02 AM

The yams out the butt or the dead babies out the vagina? Or both?

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 11:08 AM

The yams out the butt or the dead babies out the vagina? Or both?

Well, I don't like Sweet Potatoes

http://a964.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/6/l_056db0e799e101a7ad3bbcb250be3343.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Guess who was right again...Leaper. You should realize now, after the whole Sean Taylor thing, that this crackhead has a nose for these kind of things.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Take a bow Tyrone. First one to see that this was a performance art piece.

she achieved what she stated...a dialogue.

Zool
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Self gratification is art now?

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Self gratification is art now?

Are you referring to my last post....my whole "life" on this forum is art!

Zool
04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
No TB(you must love Terry Bradshaw).

I'm talking about the "performance artist". She is to performing art what Gwar is to heavy metal.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM

I'm talking about the "performance artist". She is to performing art what Gwar is to heavy metal.

Who are you to judge?

The criteria for her piece is the melee it created. Obviously on that criteria she was a resounding success.

Performance art is art in which the actions of an individual or a group at a particular place and in a particular time constitute the work. We the observers are the art..fox news, packer rats, media, etc.

Inherent in PA is shocking audiences into reassessing their own notions of art and its relation to culture. Again, a complete success on her part.

Let's stop with the bashing..she didn't drag this out for a week or so..she made Fox and others look foolish for running a story without really checking up on it. Better to have waited for the "piece" to have debuted. She exposed inherent biases and got people riled up. Look at Kiwon's post..that is just classic. Her words..not actions, did just that.

The IDEA of what she proposed was so shocking that most people turned their brains off..or fell into hysterical positions.

Those of us with a brain recognized immediately what this was...and, i'm sorry to have witnessed so few PR's figure it out. Isn't that really part of her piece as well? The anger and attitudes expressed her and part of her work.

As for Gwar, i love them.

Course they aren't Upper Crust...http://www.juvalamu.com/crust/...but, who is.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Who are you to judge?

The criteria for her piece is the melee it created. Obviously on that criteria she was a resounding success.

Performance art is art in which the actions of an individual or a group at a particular place and in a particular time constitute the work. We the observers are the art..fox news, packer rats, media, etc.

Inherent in PA is shocking audiences into reassessing their own notions of art and its relation to culture. Again, a complete success on her part.

Let's stop with the bashing..she didn't drag this out for a week or so..she made Fox and others look foolish for running a story without really checking up on it. Better to have waited for the "piece" to have debuted. She exposed inherent biases and got people riled up. Look at Kiwon's post..that is just classic. Her words..not actions, did just that.

The IDEA of what she proposed was so shocking that most people turned their brains off..or fell into hysterical positions.

Those of us with a brain recognized immediately what this was...and, i'm sorry to have witnessed so few PR's figure it out. Isn't that really part of her piece as well? The anger and attitudes expressed her and part of her work.

Course they aren't Upper Crust...http://www.juvalamu.com/crust/...but, who is.

I knew it wasn't real, tasted like chicken.

Zool
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Nuff said

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Nuff said

Well, let me rephrase..as an act i like them. I don't think much of the music..but, i don't think the music is the point.

When i first saw them...way back in the 90s with Killing Joke opening...it was a wall of sound/distortion...i couldn't even distinguish a melody.

Zool
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Exactly! Nothing of substance will ever come of their music. Nothing of substance will ever come of her art. If she's really in it to make people dialog, wouldnt she have turned down a banquet?

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Exactly! Nothing of substance will ever come of their music. Nothing of substance will ever come of her art. If she's really in it to make people dialog, wouldnt she have turned down a banquet?

Gwar has been performing for years. That is success. And, Gwar isn't about music..it is about performance...so, your analogy is a bit off.

As for banquest. What are you talking about? There was suppose to be a reception as the gallery...pretty standard stuff for an artist's installation.

Do you think the installation is going up? Therefore, no reception like that. Most likely she will be at a reception to talk about the piece..answer questions, etc.

You are really not getting it.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM

I think it's more a matter of what people consider "art" more than someone "not getting it." Some self-important art student lying about doing something disturbing isn't art of any sort as far as I'm concerned. It's a gimmick to get herself attention.

What dialog did she start that is useful in any way to society, art, or "performance art" other than the one we seem to be having here which seems to be "Is performance art good for anything other than promoting performance art?"

I suppose Partial should start his own art school for rick rolling people if tricking someone into believing your telling them the truth about something they should have no reason to lie about is all it takes.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Mimes everywhere are probably feeling a little uneasy right now.

The Leaper
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Guess who was right again...Leaper. You should realize now, after the whole Sean Taylor thing, that this crackhead has a nose for these kind of things.

If you have a nose for my deuces, I can give you a call the next time I'm about to take a shit.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 02:23 PM

I think it's more a matter of what people consider "art" more than someone "not getting it." Some self-important art student lying about doing something disturbing isn't art of any sort as far as I'm concerned. It's a gimmick to get herself attention.

What dialog did she start that is useful in any way to society, art, or "performance art" other than the one we seem to be having here which seems to be "Is performance art good for anything other than promoting performance art?"

I suppose Partial should start his own art school for rick rolling people if tricking someone into believing your telling them the truth about something they should have no reason to lie about is all it takes.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Performance art has long been established as viable and real. I'm sorry if cretins need their art to be literal or what they are exposed to...i'm sure a sofa sized painting is available for 30 bucks at the Cairn art festival will suffice.

I find it odd that you label her self important. THat is a judgement that would seem to be...well, beyond your ability as you dont' know her. Or, more to the point..most art students are just that..no matter their medium. So, why single her out?

dialogue: are you kidding. she started a dialogue regarding the form and function of a woman's body.

But, i do agree that it is a great publicity stunt..and that is the point. Because it is something so awful..and that is what makes it great. Othewise, we wouldn't be having a discussion about the form and function of a woman's body..who wants to go to a lecture about reproductive freedom?

Those who i respect seem to feel that she did something great. Stross thinks it was the greatest PR stunt since Hirst, while Ellis wonders if she is the first great conceptual artist of the internet age.

As for partial..maybe. However this artist clearly had a plan..talked with advisors, etc...visual pieces, press releases, and narrative elements.

THink about it...she did this so well that bloggers and Fox jumped on it. That is the work of someone who put in the time and the work.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Performance art has long been established as viable and real. I'm sorry if cretins need their art to be literal or what they are exposed to...i'm sure a sofa sized painting is available for 30 bucks at the Cairn art festival will suffice.

I think it's probably more accurate to say performance art has long been established as viable and real by people who believe in performance art. Just like witches believe in magic, little girls believe in unicorns, and Partial believes that a little financial planning can give anyone a life of wealth and ease.

I find it odd that you label her self important. THat is a judgement that would seem to be...well, beyond your ability as you dont' know her. Or, more to the point..most art students are just that..no matter their medium. So, why single her out?

Her actions are self important to someone like me who doesn't believe that what she's doing serves any function, artistic or otherwise. If I singled her out, I didn't mean to. I hate most art students. I had to live with one for a couple years so I saw a lot of garbage, laziness, and stupidity passed off as "art." I guess that's what this seems to be to me, using the concept of art as an excuse to do something that's more of a social awareness campaign at best, and a bad April fool's joke two weeks too late at worst.

dialogue: are you kidding. she started a dialogue regarding the form and function of a woman's body.

I'm not kidding. She got nutz to admit he wants to eat dead babies. Mostly it seems people are more interested in talking about what a fuck up she is instead of the form and function of the female body. I suppose people like Harlan might sit around eating cheese and wearing berets in a smoke free jazz bar and talk about the implications her stunt has on how we view a woman pretending to use her body as a baby killing machine instead of a baby making machine, but it seems most people are more concerned with the gimmick instead of the message - which is the "artist's" problem, not the people being subjected to her work.

Those who i respect seem to feel that she did something great. Stross thinks it was the greatest PR stunt since Hirst, while Ellis wonders if she is the first great conceptual artist of the internet age.

And with the divide between us and our belief in performance art comes a very different reaction from me. Comments like these come across as a limited group of people who believe they're in a morally superior position to society patting each other on the back for propagating their own self-serving medium.

Of course, I have no idea who those people are you're referencing... so take that!

Anyway, I suppose it comes down to whether you believe that performance art is a real means of communicating something... artistic? Obviously if you feel it exists, you can appreciate what she did. But if you don't buy social propoganda as an art form, there's little to find that's artistic here. And I think that's where a majority of the debate is centering - not on some claim about creating dialog about form and function of a woman's body.

BTW, can you pick me up one of those sofa paintings? Something with lots of greens and purples. I'll pay for shipping.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM

I think it's probably more accurate to say performance art has long been established as viable and real by people who believe in performance art. Just like witches believe in magic, little girls believe in unicorns, and Partial believes that a little financial planning can give anyone a life of wealth and ease.

Her actions are self important to someone like me who doesn't believe that what she's doing serves any function, artistic or otherwise. If I singled her out, I didn't mean to. I hate most art students. I had to live with one for a couple years so I saw a lot of garbage, laziness, and stupidity passed off as "art." I guess that's what this seems to be to me, using the concept of art as an excuse to do something that's more of a social awareness campaign at best, and a bad April fool's joke two weeks too late at worst.

I'm not kidding. She got nutz to admit he wants to eat dead babies. Mostly it seems people are more interested in talking about what a fuck up she is instead of the form and function of the female body. I suppose people like Harlan might sit around eating cheese and wearing berets in a smoke free jazz bar and talk about the implications her stunt has on how we view a woman pretending to use her body as a baby killing machine instead of a baby making machine, but it seems most people are more concerned with the gimmick instead of the message - which is the "artist's" problem, not the people being subjected to her work.

And with the divide between us and our belief in performance art comes a very different reaction from me. Comments like these come across as a limited group of people who believe they're in a morally superior position to society patting each other on the back for propagating their own self-serving medium.

Of course, I have no idea who those people are you're referencing... so take that!

Anyway, I suppose it comes down to whether you believe that performance art is a real means of communicating something... artistic? Obviously if you feel it exists, you can appreciate what she did. But if you don't buy social propoganda as an art form, there's little to find that's artistic here. And I think that's where a majority of the debate is centering - not on some claim about creating dialog about form and function of a woman's body.

BTW, can you pick me up one of those sofa paintings? Something with lots of greens and purples. I'll pay for shipping.

Interesting point...and, i certainly can appreciate your view on art students...i've experienced the same...i think even worse are drama students.

Performance Art. C'mon. At this stage of the game it is an established art form. There is a standard for what defines it: time, space, the performer's body and a relationship between performer and audience.

Of course, you do fall squarely in the classificatory disputes about art...but, usually people like yourself are on the losing side of the debate. In the late 1800s, Skinbasket the First (aka, Skinbasket the Terrible) thought cinema and photography weren't art. Other debates raged on cubist art and impressionistic paintings.

Her work: Well, i have to disagree. Her work meets the classification of performance art. furthermore, since she has a strong academic background..you don't get into yale by being lazy..i have to think that she put some real effort into this. Now, you may feel it is misguided,but you have to at least credit her for the idea and work.

Man, think of everything she did. The press releases..and then the quotes she gave..it was all well thought out and planned. She struck the write note everytime...the fake "woman's body" is her own..intended to rile up Fox news, etc.

If it wasn't executed perfectly, the blogosphere wouldn't have picked it up. Nor would papers.

Discussion: Your point is well taken. However, like most avant garde artists...she is concerned with her peers and a more literate audience. She can't be blamed because most people are stupid..can she? Hell, Giuliani couldn't understand Serrano's work. Just because Christo isn't understood doesn't mean he shouldn't do wha the does.

I mean, c'mon, she can't be blamed because someone like Kiwon,in his paranoid state, thinks she timed this to coincide with the Pope's visit..tho, if she had said that she had taken some roofies, had been diddled by priest and wasn't sure if the baby was one of theirs or immac conception..NOW THAT WOULDA BEEN GENIUS!

Comments: Where do you get morally superior from people thinking her work is great? Maybe intellectually so, but morally. I'm sensing that perhaps you were diddled by a priest.

Stross: New gen Brit sci fi writer. Award winner..hugo, nebula.

Hirst: British artist. Most famous for vivisection of shark in a formaldahyde (sp?). First major showing was of a i think cow's brain in a plastic cube..with maggots and flies surrounding it.

Ellis: Comic book writer. Marvel. Hellstrom, Excalibur, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, etc.

Paintings: I thought you could hook my up as the Carren thing was always advertised in Wisco. Can't get enough of crying clowns. :roll:

packinpatland
04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Never thought I'd be saying I wasn't proud of the fact that my daughter will be graduating from Yale next month.........but.....
knowing what my daughter has had to got thru to submit her thesis, the constant contact with advisors and professors....what were they thinking????at what point could not one of her advisors had said...'maybe this might not be the best of ideas'................but hey, made the news didn't they? :roll:

LL2
04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
...........but hey, made the news didn't they? :roll:

That's all that matters these days.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Man, think of everything she did. The press releases..and then the quotes she gave..it was all well thought out and planned. She struck the write note everytime...the fake "woman's body" is her own..intended to rile up Fox news, etc.

Thinking of all the "work" she put into this brings me to another problem I guess I have with all this. When I consider art, I guess I believe that at some level, in some way, art - good art anyway - needs to connect to truth in some kind of way.

If I considered this dramatic nonsense as possible art, which I still won't, but if I did, the problem I would still have is that is was a social experiment designed to elicit a certain response. It didn't reveal a truth. It attempted to create truth through a carefully planned lie. An artist who needs to trick their audience into seeing their vision isn't an artist to me.

I guess my acceptance of performance art will only ever run as deep as watching that guy who pretends to be a silver robot on the street in Chicago. I won't pay him though. If he believes in his art, that should be reward enough.

Kiwon
04-19-2008, 02:07 AM
She exposed inherent biases and got people riled up. Look at Kiwon's post..that is just classic. Her words..not actions, did just that.

Those of us with a brain recognized immediately what this was...and, i'm sorry to have witnessed so few PR's figure it out.

No, those of you with no morals were non-pulsed by either the IDEA or the ACTION. Your lack of revulsion exposes your depravity. This is Ms. Psycho's real contribution. Those performance artists.....little geniuses.

Although disputed by school authorities, she adamantly claims her project is real.

Shvarts explains her 'repeated self-induced miscarriages'

Aliza Shvarts

Guest Columnist, Yale Daily News

Published Friday, April 18, 2008

For the past year, I performed repeated self-induced miscarriages. I created a group of fabricators from volunteers who submitted to periodic STD screenings and agreed to their complete and permanent anonymity. From the 9th to the 15th day of my menstrual cycle, the fabricators would provide me with sperm samples, which I used to privately self-inseminate. Using a needleless syringe, I would inject the sperm near my cervix within 30 minutes of its collection, so as to insure the possibility of fertilization. On the 28th day of my cycle, I would ingest an abortifacient, after which I would experience cramps and heavy bleeding.

To protect myself and others, only I know the number of fabricators who participated, the frequency and accuracy with which I inseminated and the specific abortifacient I used. Because of these measures of privacy, the piece exists only in its telling. This telling can take textual, visual, spatial, temporal and performative forms . copies of copies of which there is no original.

This piece . in its textual and sculptural forms . is meant to call into question the relationship between form and function as they converge on the body. The artwork exists as the verbal narrative you see above, as an installation that will take place in Green Hall, as a time-based performance, as a independent concept, as a myth and as a public discourse.

It creates an ambiguity that isolates the locus of ontology to an act of readership. An intentional ambiguity pervades both the act and the objects I produced in relation to it. The performance exists only as I chose to represent it. For me, the most poignant aspect of this representation . the part most meaningful in terms of its political agenda (and, incidentally, the aspect that has not been discussed thus far) . is the impossibility of accurately identifying the resulting blood. Because the miscarriages coincide with the expected date of menstruation (the 28th day of my cycle), it remains ambiguous whether the there was ever a fertilized ovum or not. The reality of the pregnancy, both for myself and for the audience, is a matter of reading.

This ambivalence makes obvious how the act of identification or naming . the act of ascribing a word to something physical . is at its heart an ideological act, an act that literally has the power to construct bodies. In a sense, the act of conception occurs when the viewer assigns the term .miscarriage. or .period. to that blood.

In some sense, neither term is exactly accurate or inaccurate; the ambiguity is not merely a matter of context, but is embodied in the physicality of the object. This central ambiguity defies a clear definition of the act. The reality of miscarriage is very much a linguistic and political reality, an act of reading constructed by an act of naming . an authorial act.

It is the intention of this piece to destabilize the locus of that authorial act, and in doing so, reclaim it from the heteronormative structures that seek to naturalize it.

As an intervention into our normative understanding of .the real. and its accompanying politics of convention, this performance piece has numerous conceptual goals. The first is to assert that often, normative understandings of biological function are a mythology imposed on form. It is this mythology that creates the sexist, racist, ableist, nationalist and homophobic perspective, distinguishing what body parts are .meant. to do from their physical capability. The myth that a certain set of functions are .natural. (while all the other potential functions are .unnatural.) undermines that sense of capability, confining lifestyle choices to the bounds of normatively defined narratives.

Just as it is a myth that women are .meant. to be feminine and men masculine, that penises and vaginas are .meant. for penetrative heterosexual sex (or that mouths, anuses, breasts, feet or leather, silicone, vinyl, rubber, or metal implements are not .meant. for sex at all), it is a myth that ovaries and a uterus are .meant. to birth a child.

When considering my own bodily form, I recognize its potential as extending beyond its ability to participate in a normative function. While my organs are capable of engaging with the narrative of reproduction . the time-based linkage of discrete events from conception to birth . the realm of capability extends beyond the bounds of that specific narrative chain. These organs can do other things, can have other purposes, and it is the prerogative of every individual to acknowledge and explore this wide realm of capability."

Aliza Shvarts is a senior in Davenport College.

packinpatland
04-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Somewhere out there has to be the inevitable 'bottom line'...........

How, exactly does this girl use this to obtain gainful employment?

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2008, 08:04 AM

ahh, an art student w/ degree from Yale will find work. one example: she can work in clothing design w/ some additional tech schooling or apprenticeship. Or become web designer.

If she succeeds or fails in work world it won't be because of her degree. And there is nothing wrong with education being the bottom line in of itself.

Or she can always follow skinbasket's path and be a computer engineer. :o

SkinBasket
04-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Network engineer. Dumby.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2008, 08:18 AM
This piece . in its textual and sculptural forms . is meant to call into question the relationship between form and function as they converge on the body.

"sculptural" :lol: I just created a sculpture in 4 dimensions: length, width, height, and odor.

I read her explanation, consulted dictionary as required, scratched chin. I think her concepts are very simple, and poorly illustrated by her piece, sometimes unrelated.

This ambivalence makes obvious how the act of identification or naming . the act of ascribing a word to something physical . is at its heart an ideological act, an act that literally has the power to construct bodies. In a sense, the act of conception occurs when the viewer assigns the term .miscarriage. or .period. to that blood.

This is her big idea. But of course one could test each "sculpture" and determine whether it is a miscarriage, so it's not just language or social conformity.

Umm, I see some value in what she is driving at, it's just kinda lame.

packinpatland
04-19-2008, 08:43 AM

ahh, an art student w/ degree from Yale will find work. one example: she can work in clothing design w/ some additional tech schooling or apprenticeship. Or become web designer.

If she succeeds or fails in work world it won't be because of her degree. And there is nothing wrong with education being the bottom line in of itself.

Having that degree and having it be from Yale still isn't a an automatic guarntee of employment.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2008, 08:44 AM
right, she is going to struggle.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I suggest not reading this thread while eating soft, juicy rasberries on waffles.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Never thought I'd be saying I wasn't proud of the fact that my daughter will be graduating from Yale next month.........but.....
knowing what my daughter has had to got thru to submit her thesis, the constant contact with advisors and professors....what were they thinking????at what point could not one of her advisors had said...'maybe this might not be the best of ideas'................but hey, made the news didn't they? :roll:

YOu have it backwards, which is no surprise.

The fact that EDUCATED people, more educated in art than you i'm guessing...listened to her, approved her thesis, guided her...that tells me that it has validity.

Because you don't get it..and apply your standards doesn't mean it isn't valid.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-19-2008, 11:19 PM
She exposed inherent biases and got people riled up. Look at Kiwon's post..that is just classic. Her words..not actions, did just that.

Those of us with a brain recognized immediately what this was...and, i'm sorry to have witnessed so few PR's figure it out.

No, those of you with no morals were non-pulsed by either the IDEA or the ACTION. Your lack of revulsion exposes your depravity. This is Ms. Psycho's real contribution. Those performance artists.....little geniuses.

Although disputed by school authorities, she adamantly claims her project is real.

Shvarts explains her 'repeated self-induced miscarriages'

Aliza Shvarts

Guest Columnist, Yale Daily News

Published Friday, April 18, 2008

For the past year, I performed repeated self-induced miscarriages. I created a group of fabricators from volunteers who submitted to periodic STD screenings and agreed to their complete and permanent anonymity. From the 9th to the 15th day of my menstrual cycle, the fabricators would provide me with sperm samples, which I used to privately self-inseminate. Using a needleless syringe, I would inject the sperm near my cervix within 30 minutes of its collection, so as to insure the possibility of fertilization. On the 28th day of my cycle, I would ingest an abortifacient, after which I would experience cramps and heavy bleeding.

To protect myself and others, only I know the number of fabricators who participated, the frequency and accuracy with which I inseminated and the specific abortifacient I used. Because of these measures of privacy, the piece exists only in its telling. This telling can take textual, visual, spatial, temporal and performative forms . copies of copies of which there is no original.

This piece . in its textual and sculptural forms . is meant to call into question the relationship between form and function as they converge on the body. The artwork exists as the verbal narrative you see above, as an installation that will take place in Green Hall, as a time-based performance, as a independent concept, as a myth and as a public discourse.

It creates an ambiguity that isolates the locus of ontology to an act of readership. An intentional ambiguity pervades both the act and the objects I produced in relation to it. The performance exists only as I chose to represent it. For me, the most poignant aspect of this representation . the part most meaningful in terms of its political agenda (and, incidentally, the aspect that has not been discussed thus far) . is the impossibility of accurately identifying the resulting blood. Because the miscarriages coincide with the expected date of menstruation (the 28th day of my cycle), it remains ambiguous whether the there was ever a fertilized ovum or not. The reality of the pregnancy, both for myself and for the audience, is a matter of reading.

In some sense, neither term is exactly accurate or inaccurate; the ambiguity is not merely a matter of context, but is embodied in the physicality of the object. This central ambiguity defies a clear definition of the act. The reality of miscarriage is very much a linguistic and political reality, an act of reading constructed by an act of naming . an authorial act.

It is the intention of this piece to destabilize the locus of that authorial act, and in doing so, reclaim it from the heteronormative structures that seek to naturalize it.

As an intervention into our normative understanding of .the real. and its accompanying politics of convention, this performance piece has numerous conceptual goals. The first is to assert that often, normative understandings of biological function are a mythology imposed on form. It is this mythology that creates the sexist, racist, ableist, nationalist and homophobic perspective, distinguishing what body parts are .meant. to do from their physical capability. The myth that a certain set of functions are .natural. (while all the other potential functions are .unnatural.) undermines that sense of capability, confining lifestyle choices to the bounds of normatively defined narratives.

Just as it is a myth that women are .meant. to be feminine and men masculine, that penises and vaginas are .meant. for penetrative heterosexual sex (or that mouths, anuses, breasts, feet or leather, silicone, vinyl, rubber, or metal implements are not .meant. for sex at all), it is a myth that ovaries and a uterus are .meant. to birth a child.

When considering my own bodily form, I recognize its potential as extending beyond its ability to participate in a normative function. While my organs are capable of engaging with the narrative of reproduction . the time-based linkage of discrete events from conception to birth . the realm of capability extends beyond the bounds of that specific narrative chain. These organs can do other things, can have other purposes, and it is the prerogative of every individual to acknowledge and explore this wide realm of capability."

Aliza Shvarts is a senior in Davenport College.

No, dope. Those of us who knew right away it was a pr stunt, performance art piece laughed at idiots like yourself.

And, if it is true...talk about making a mountain outta a molehill. No different than taking the morning after pill. There was no baby, not even a foetus.

the_idle_threat
04-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Good Lord ... can she possibly jam another 10-dollar word into that wordy, psuedo-intellectual write-up? Seems to me she's trying way too hard to make this sound like an important intellectual exercise, when in fact it's nothing but a cheap stunt.

But then again, the very difference between "performance art" and "cheap stunt" is the dressing. If you declare your provocative idea important enough, and if you overanalyze it and dress it up in fancy words, you still won't fool the people who have sense. But people with sense aren't your core audience.

You want to fool people who lack sense but have money---wealthy benefactors. And in reality, there are plenty of wealthy folks who will enjoy an opportunity to engage in pseudo-intellectual "artistic" discussions in order to feel smarter than they actually are, and to feel smarter than the masses. So they become benefactors to pretentious artists who feed this desire.

With this stunt, this gal has put her name out there, attracting the attention of the clueless but moneyed art-loving crowd. It's a brilliant career move. She'll never need to obtain "gainful employment" in the traditional sense.

Scott Campbell
04-20-2008, 08:14 AM
But then again, the very difference between "performance art" and "cheap stunt" is the dressing. If you declare your provocative idea important enough, and if you overanalyze it and dress it up in fancy words, you still won't fool the people who have sense. But people with sense aren't your core audience.

Performance art? I'm not sure that I see much difference between this and the stunts from the Jackass crew. Maybe Steve-O and Johnny Knoxville are Professors at Yale?

packinpatland
04-20-2008, 08:59 AM

The fact that EDUCATED people, more educated in art than you i'm guessing...listened to her, approved her thesis, guided her...that tells me that it has validity.

I certainly am not going to list my credentials for being 'art educated'.....suffice to say I probably know more than you do but less than the professors who aprroved her idea for her thesis. As far as my 'standards' ................yes, I do have moral standards.......and they were offended by the fact that a great university, such as Yale, would allow a student to 'pull off' a stunt like this. And that is exactly how I see it....a stunt........nothing more, nothing less.
And Tyrone, I'm not going to argue with you.........because it won't matter what I say.........you are always right, right?

GrnBay007
04-20-2008, 09:03 AM
I certainly am not going to list my credentials for being 'art educated'.....suffice to say I probably know more than you do but less than the professors who aprroved her idea for her thesis. As far as my 'standards' ................yes, I do have moral standards.......and they were offended by the fact that a great university, such as Yale, would allow a student to 'pull off' a stunt like this. And that is exactly how I see it....a stunt........nothing more, nothing less.
And Tyrone, I'm not going to argue with you.........because it won't matter what I say.........you are always right, right?

:bclap:

You Go Girl!! :D

...and I agree.

GrnBay007
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Ty seems to be in "debate mode". I feel bad I haven't been involved in a debate with him....so decided today is the day!!

Ready Ty?

I'll go first....

It is day time.

...ok, your turn Ty.

:twisted:

Patler
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
OK, let’s analyze:

A person fabricates a story about sick and depraved activity.
People respond to that story in the manner that is completely expected.

Because the liar calls herself an “artist” and the activity was a project for an art class, then it is art.

Let’s contrast that with the UW student a couple years ago who seemed to fabricate a story about here own abduction or disappearance. People responded as expected and a search was commenced. When it was discovered that it was fabricated, she was charged criminally.

Too bad she wasn’t an art student so she could have called it “performance art”.

Scott Campbell
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
It's hard to argue with people about art. Under the most liberal of definitions, my latest Etch a Sketch masterpiece qualifies.

I think what she did was the performance art equivalent of one of us taking a dump on a Bears helmet, and capturing the moment with a Polaroid. Is it art? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Iron Mike
04-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm still kinda pissed that part of my college tuition in the 70s went to the WSA in order to create these works of art:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/hoaxipedia/ladyliberty.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/hoaxipedia/flamingoes.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Ty seems to be in "debate mode". I feel bad I haven't been involved in a debate with him....so decided today is the day!!

Ready Ty?

I'll go first....

It is day time.

...ok, your turn Ty.

:twisted:

Ty doesn't debate with vaginas....ty loves vagina.

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Hadn't noticed...

Tyrone Bigguns
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM

No, i'm not always right...but, you are often wrong.

Credentials: Interesting. Of course you won't list them. And, i find it hilarious that you think your's are better than mine. How so. I think that is the height of arrogance.

Not to mention saying you have morals..which implies others don't. More arrogance.

So, you admit your credentials don't match those of Yale's, yet you impose your value system on theirs. Interesting.

I find it best to leave the judgments to those with the credentials.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
It's hard to argue with people about art. Under the most liberal of definitions, my latest Etch a Sketch masterpiece qualifies.

I think what she did was the performance art equivalent of one of us taking a dump on a Bears helmet, and capturing the moment with a Polaroid. Is it art? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I gave formal criteria for performance art. She met those criteria.

Now, if we wanna debate whether it was good or bad performance art that is something completely different.

sheepshead
04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
My son's an art student on a scholarship no less. I knew you'd find that astonishing.

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Credentials: Interesting. Of course you won't list them. And, i find it hilarious that you think your's are better than mine. How so. I think that is the height of arrogance.

Not to mention saying you have morals..which implies others don't. More arrogance.

So, you admit your credentials don't match those of Yale's, yet you impose your value system on theirs. Interesting.

I thought you didn't debate vaginas...?

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
he's debating you

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
No he isn't. There's absolutely no debate there...

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2008, 07:19 PM
i was trying to call you a C

I'm just a simple man of simple pleasures

The Leaper
04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

George Bush is more EDUCATED than you. So, I expect to never again hear any comments regarding the Iraq war. Bush is more educated than you, so he knows better...correct?

How's that for validity?

Education often doesn't mean shit, Ty. You have to have money to be Ivy League, you don't need brains. GW is proof positive.

Partial
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
It's a publicity stunt. Don't listen to Tyrone's idiotic babbling.

packinpatland
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM

You are an incredible piece of work Tyrone. :lol:

GrnBay007
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM

class act. :roll:

the_idle_threat
04-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Performance art? I'm not sure that I see much difference between this and the stunts from the Jackass crew. Maybe Steve-O and Johnny Knoxville are Professors at Yale?

There's pretty much no difference between this girl's stunt and the Jackass stunts, except in how they're being presented. That was my point. The Jackass people didn't dress up their stunts in fancy ten-dollar words and try to make them out as commentaries on the human condition, in order to fool snooty Yale professors and art benefactors into believing the stunts are "art". This girl obviously did.

Such is the difference, IMO, between cheap low-brow stunts and many instances of high-brow "performance art." They're scams that are meant to fool snobs like art professors and self-appointed cultural elitists.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:18 PM

I thought you didn't debate vaginas...?

I shoulda said, young(ish)...available vajajays!

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM

George Bush is more EDUCATED than you. So, I expect to never again hear any comments regarding the Iraq war. Bush is more educated than you, so he knows better...correct?

How's that for validity?

Education often doesn't mean shit, Ty. You have to have money to be Ivy League, you don't need brains. GW is proof positive.

Bush isn't more educated than myself. Infact, since he and his grades in undergrad weren't better than mine and we studied the same topic..and since Wisco was top ten in history when i attended..i'd say i'm more educated in history than Bush.

Furthermore, your analogy is poor. Bush didn't study anything to do with Iraq in college.

Lastly, it was pretty evident that i'm talking about a specific field. Should i presume to know more about electrical engineering than someone who has studied it..or teaches it. Hilarious. Those professors have made their careers in art..and more importantly have reviewed hundreds of thesis applications. They have certainly denied some thesis applications or made students revise them.

Again, I choose to defer to their wisdom when it comes to determining whether her project fulfills the perf art requirments.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
It's a publicity stunt. Don't listen to Tyrone's idiotic babbling.

Who is denying that? I said that already...try at least to pay attention.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

class act. :roll:

Get a sense of humor.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM

You are an incredible piece of work Tyrone. :lol:

So, when you can't make an argument on merit...you resort to name calling.

Pretty much sums of your position.

Partial
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Dude, you are the king of name calling.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Dude, you are the king of name calling.

I might name call within a thought out post. I don't ever just leave it as that.

But, i find your stalking me cute. Just can't stay away.

Partial
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
It really is. It really is.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
It really is. It really is.

I'll send you a poster of me. That way you can post it on your ceiling and masturbate.

The Leaper
04-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm thinking of starting up a performance art project...such as me taking a crap on this thread.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm thinking of starting up a performance art project...such as me taking a crap on this thread.

As long as it fulfills the criteria: time, space, the performer's body and a relationship between performer and audience.