PDA

View Full Version : Article - Guarding the Pack

MJZiggy
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
By KY Pack

Will the Packers be on Guard in ’08?
The offensive line was a positive for the Green Bay Packers last season, but there are two questionable spots at offensive guard. This article will...READ ON!! (http://packerrats.com)

woodbuck27
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
First off. Outstanding article KY Pack. Detailed - honest and solid stat support for 'the facts' on our O-Lineman..

It wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to think that we could break camp with two starters and a back-up at the guard position that are competent and know what they are doing. If it doesn’t happen, his first year as a starter could be a long one indeed, for young QB Aaron Rodgers KYPack

We all should be watching for where the pressure is applied. I hope that TT gets support for MM. It's not going to come from the draft this season.

We are aware that Favre made our OL look better than it was. He had a lot of heat on him. There were games when it was simply frightening. Yet, Favre was experienced enough to adjust.

Aaron Rodgers! How long will that era last if we don't see our OL jell?

Packers Forever!

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Nicely done.

Bretsky
04-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Great article KY ! You've pretty much given these guys the grades I would and added some nice analysis. I was hoping you weren't taking the homer angle.

Very good read for all

oregonpackfan
04-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Very thorough and professional article, KY! :)

Guiness
04-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Good article, except it didn't mention Juice's wife in any way...

Speaking of articles, why don't we put either B's write up or Phil03's edited version on the front page? It was certainly worthy :worship:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12117

sheepshead
04-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Well written and thought out. A little critical but there's nothing wrong as fans with having great expectations this time of year.

KYPack
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I'm down on that position group. There's a lot of great potential, but little great play.

I'm thinking Barbe takes the great leap, Spitz continues his learning curve and we get our two starters.

TT drafts a great kid, who pushes the others. So, a vet gets cut. That always gets stimulates a pro athlete.

I don't care who does what, as long as we get two capable starters and a back-up,

Brohm
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Very nice write-up.

I'd say it's year 3, make or break for this group. Wahle (2nd) and Rivera (6th) took 3 years to get it going. I would hope that of the 5 young guns we have, a pair could step up. Hopefully Palmer and Moll come back healthy and ready to roll. Should be some nice competition.

Of course, we could always draft a round 7 stud like we did with Timmerman and Taucher :shock:

texaspackerbacker
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Well written article, KYP, but I disagree with your premise and your grading of the current Packer guards.

The key to good O Line play is stability and cohesiveness. The Packers O Line has made great strides in developing those two things over the last year or two. The article made the valid point that we had injuries at the Guard position, as well as demotion for inconsistency of Colledge. Even that, however, helps the development of the line as a unit, as your reserves get acclimated to playing together.

Great college guards don't correlate very well with great pro guards. The playing together factor is a lot more important than great individual talent--more so even for guards than for tackles, thus, the reason why pro teams didn't seldom draft guards as high as the first round.

If the suggestion is that we draft a Guard sometime lower down, I'd say yes, good idea. But if we're talking about the first round, probably even the 1st through 4th founds, I'd say no, don't do it.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Well written article, KYP, but I disagree with your premise and your grading of the current Packer guards.

The key to good O Line play is stability and cohesiveness. The Packers O Line has made great strides in developing those two things over the last year or two. The article made the valid point that we had injuries at the Guard position, as well as demotion for inconsistency of Colledge. Even that, however, helps the development of the line as a unit, as your reserves get acclimated to playing together.

Great college guards don't correlate very well with great pro guards. The playing together factor is a lot more important than great individual talent--more so even for guards than for tackles, thus, the reason why pro teams didn't seldom draft guards as high as the first round.

If the suggestion is that we draft a Guard sometime lower down, I'd say yes, good idea. But if we're talking about the first round, probably even the 1st through 4th founds, I'd say no, don't do it.

The problem with all the shuffling last year at guard was that no one emerged. No one played well. Coston had his chances but got hurt. Colledge is at least consistent.

There were simply too many missed blocking assignments in the run game and in the passing game by Colledge. If he didn't have Brett it would have been more evident. The Packers still had to keep tight ends in to block and extra backs in to block for more times than I would like. Not to mention the screen game was absolutely terrible, granted it has to do with the running back as well, but Spitz, Colledge and Wells were just plain terrible with their execution.

texaspackerbacker
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Yet we had the leading rusher in the league for the weeks he started and, I think, the fewest sacks allowed of any team--or at least real close to it.

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Well written and thought out. A little critical but there's nothing wrong as fans with having great expectations this time of year.

Spot on

But honestly in general no pay fan sites have too many homers views and articles; it's nice to see an article outside the box

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Spot on

But honestly in general no pay fan sites have too many homers views and articles; it's nice to see an article outside the box

Did you start that Pessimistic Realists club yet?
:D

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Spot on

Did you start that Pessimistic Realists club yet?
:D

Why, do you want in ? You tried taking over that optimistic realists clubs and now it's been disbaned and they are are all flippin homers :lol:

Joemailman
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Anybody want to join the Kool-Aid Klub?

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Anybody want to join the Kool-Aid Klub?

no

MJZiggy
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
There's a surprise.

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
There's a surprise.

Can't be too disappointed if expectations are not that high

KYPack
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Well Tex, then I disagree with you. The grades were issued based on performance and results. We got some pass protection from that position, but the run blocking was atrocious, so was the execution on screens. You can disagree, this being America and all, but the numbers don't lie. We sucked in short yardage, due in large part to the guards.

Injuries played a small part, but mainly we got poor play from that position. I still think it will improve due to another year of experience leading to an upgrade in play. I also think you will see at least one guard selected in the upcoming draft. A high pick? Yeah, probably not, but if any personnel group on the club could use some new players as an incentive for better play, it would be the guards.

Your point that college guys don't come in and play guard effectively is dern right.

We've learned that lesson by the progress of messers Colledge, Spitz, Coston, and Moll. I'm not saying we will draft a kid to play guard, I'm saying we draft a guard and make it known that one of the vets on the team better play better or they will be cut. Maybe that will get this bunch to get their asses in gear.