PDA

View Full Version : Steve McNair announces retirement

Badgerinmaine
04-18-2008, 12:46 AM
From the Houston Chronicle:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5711049.html

He's just too beat up to go on. I wish him well. He always seemed like a class act to me. And, apropos of the story headline, I've got to think he's one of the last former Oilers to retire.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2008, 01:44 AM
He is indeed the last one.

Guiness
04-18-2008, 03:52 AM
A class act for sure. Didn't generate many bad headlines for a high profile player - I think he had a couple of minor DUI incidents (one where he wasn't driving?)

Wow, did he take a beating through his career. I'm not surprised his body shut things down on him.

One thing struck me through reading the article though - how the end of his career was the polar opposite of Favre's. Mentally, he was prepared, and wanted to go on. He spent the last 4 months trying to get ready, but his body couldn't go on. Favre, of course, was physically able, but his mentally, he was having none of it.

KYPack
04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
My favorite NFL QB behind the gunslinger. Steve and Brett were like throwback guys. Both earned their teammates respect by being the toughtest sumbitch on the field.

Both Mississippi boys, must be something in the water down there.

KYPack
04-18-2008, 07:49 AM

Nope.

This is in the article,

"Offensive tackle Jon Runyan, a rookie in Houston in 1996, was the only other ex-Oiler to play in the NFL in 2007."

I totally forgot that. I thought I Runyan was a lifetime Eagle.

sheepshead
04-18-2008, 07:54 AM
McNair is one of the real 'likable" guys in the NFL. During his peak you'd take him under center on any Sunday.

Zool
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Favre and McNair in 2013?

Scott Campbell
04-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Favre and McNair in 2013?

Favre - yes. McNair - no.

I think McNair is more of a longshot, and very unlikely to make it on the first ballot.

Zool
04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Sportscenter showed lastnight that we was one of 3 guys ever with 30000+ passing and 3500+ rushing. Depending on the other guys up that year, I could see him getting in first ballot.

The Leaper
04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Sportscenter showed lastnight that we was one of 3 guys ever with 30000+ passing and 3500+ rushing. Depending on the other guys up that year, I could see him getting in first ballot.

With Favre on the ballot, I'm not sure another QB makes it in who isn't a slam dunk first ballot guy. How often have 2 QBs made it into the HOF in the same year recently?

Warren Sapp will also garner plenty of interest as a first ballot guy.

Carolina_Packer
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
How often have 2 QBs made it into the HOF in the same year recently?

I believe that the last time was the year Elway and Marino went in together. McNair is not in that same company. His numbers just weren't as good. Yes, he was a tough guy, but so was Brett and he had crazy numbers to boot.

People like to compare tough guys, and McNair often gets the nod over Favre in some people's books, but I say Favre was just as tough, if not tougher, since his injuries never kept him from a start, and we can't say that about McNair. Perhaps McNair got more beat up, but still, a start is a start, and we all know Favre played hurt a lot. Injuries that would have sidelined the average player, or even our own Aaron Rodgers. Simply amazing that a QB makes every start for as long as Favre did, and puts up the numbers. First ballot HOF'er if there ever was one. McNair may get in, but should not be a first ballot guy.

Partial
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM

I don't see that happening.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Nope.

This is in the article,

"Offensive tackle Jon Runyan, a rookie in Houston in 1996, was the only other ex-Oiler to play in the NFL in 2007."

I totally forgot that. I thought I Runyan was a lifetime Eagle.

Interesting. NFL Network said last night that he was the last one. I guess I should know better than to trust the media.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
McNair was an above average quarterback not a hall of fame qb

Scott Campbell
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
How often have 2 QBs made it into the HOF in the same year recently?

Moon and Aikman also went in together.

KYPack
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I think Steve is in the "Hall of Great". Helluva a player & one tough stud, but not quite HOF.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I think Steve is in the "Hall of Great". Helluva a player & one tough stud, but not quite HOF.

QFT

Badgerinmaine
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Both Mississippi boys, must be something in the water down there.
Jerry Rice, too...he played at MS Valley State.

I remember how McNair and Favre were among the athletes who worked well together to help fund relief efforts for Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina.

oregonpackfan
04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I listened to McNair being interviewed by Dan Patrick on ESPN radio yesterday. He sounds like a good, insightful man.

McNair cited the nagging injuries that just did not seem to heal, or at least, take weeks or months to heal. He cited the groin and sternum injuries that just lingered on during the whole season.

McNair mentioned that the sternum injury was so involved that he had difficulty sleeping because whenever he would just change positions in bed, the pain would wake him up. He found it necessary to sleep in a 45 degree angle position.

I guess if I were continually injured where I could not do a simple life function like sleep, I would certainly retire from pro sports as well.

Rastak
04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I listened to McNair being interviewed by Dan Patrick on ESPN radio yesterday. He sounds like a good, insightful man.

McNair cited the nagging injuries that just did not seem to heal, or at least, take weeks or months to heal. He cited the groin and sternum injuries that just lingered on during the whole season.

McNair mentioned that the sternum injury was so involved that he had difficulty sleeping because whenever he would just change positions in bed, the pain would wake him up. He found it necessary to sleep in a 45 degree angle position.

I guess if I were continually injured where I could not do a simple life function like sleep, I would certainly retire from pro sports as well.

I think the problem with some of these guys are they wait until it's already happened (permenent issues), then retire. I guess when you are in that position yourself it must be hard to see the forest for the trees.

motife
04-19-2008, 08:05 PM
McNair retired because the new Ravens coach John Harbaugh is such an asshole. He wanted McNair to workout like a practice squad rookie, not an aging veteran and Steve told him to shove it up his rear end.

easy cheesy
02-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Unfortunately Steve is in permanent "retirement"... RIP Steve....

denverYooper
02-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Dammit Harbaugh.

Guiness
02-06-2011, 03:39 PM
what was the point of this???

SkinBasket
02-06-2011, 10:03 PM
what was the point of this???

That he banged a skank ho that could have been his daughter before he died?