PDA

View Full Version : Urlacher wants traded or to retire

Brando19
04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
One league source says Brian Urlacher's agents have asked the Bears if they could explore a trade. Another says Urlacher is threatening to retire because of neck and back problems, a move in which he wouldn't have to repay any portion of the $13 million signing bonus he received in 2003, when he received a nine-year, $56.65 million deal. ... Urlacher has four years left on his contract, and given the uneven nature of his performance last season, depending on how his back was feeling, he might not be able to complete that deal.
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

MTPackerfan
04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
That is interesting, he wants to be traded but then he might retire becuase of injuries. Kind of conflicting statements. So a team might give up a lot in trade to get a broken down (but high priced) LB?

Scott Campbell
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Is there anybody left that wants to play in Chicago?

Brando19
04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
No, there's noone left that wants to play for Chicago. I predict a sweep this year...Packers will dominate the Bears.
Urlacher is still a great great player. I would hate for him to end his career early due to injuries.

Brando19
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

In response to a report of rumors that Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher has either requested a trade or threatened to take a medical retirement (or both), Urlacher says that the reports are wrong.

“I never said that I was going to quit,” Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. “That’s just a gossip column. Reports like that is why I choose not to speak to the media.”

If taking a medical retirement was ever an option, it isn’t now, given Urlacher’s comments regarding his health: “[M]y neck is rehabbed and back to normal,” Urlacher said. “My back is better now than it was at any point last season.”

As to a trade, Urlacher said he’s happy where he is. “Everybody knows I want to be in Chicago,” he said. “I’ve said that from Day 1. I can’t imagine playing anywhere else. I want to be with my teammates.

“Could I see a scenario where I wouldn’t be here? It would be if they traded me. But we all know that’s not going to happen.”

As to his contract status, Urlacher provided the Tribune with a brief update. “They’ve offered me a one-year extension,” Urlacher said. “My agents are doing a great job for me. I try to stay out of it as much as I can.”

It remains to be seen whether the Chicago Sun-Times responds to Urlacher’s attempt to refute its report.

Bossman641
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Is there anybody left that wants to play in Chicago?

Have no fear, a certain quarterbacking duo loves playing for the Bears.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/patroto/ortonmontage.jpg

http://www.squibkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/rex-grossman-stinks.jpg

KYPack
04-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Brian Urlacher is seeing the end of the trail and wants to get one last payday before it's over.

Unfortunately, any teams that can view tape know he's about done.

Guy can still play at the high level, but it's only about 4-5 games a year.

Joemailman
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd love the Pack to have him just for his intensity level. Obviously that could never happen though. The Bears would lead the league in no-shows if they traded Urlacher. Has any Super Bowl team fallen from grace faster than this Bears team?

Brando19
04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd love the Pack to have him just for his intensity level. Obviously that could never happen though. The Bears would lead the league in no-shows if they traded Urlacher. Has any Super Bowl team fallen from grace faster than this Bears team?

The Raiders, maybe?

Tony Oday
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
You guys watch the Bears will go 12-4 this year. They got lucky a couple of years ago and they will get lucky again.

GrnBay007
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Angelo can give his side of the story

April 22, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Now that Brian Urlacher has had his say, the Bears will have a chance today to respond on the record about the middle linebacker's contract demands.

The team hosts its annual predraft meeting with the media at Halas Hall, an occasion typically reserved for more smoke-blowing than a convention of cigar connoisseurs. Along with the opportunity to address needs vs. wants in this weekend's draft, general manager Jerry Angelo can explain his position on the public showdown with the face of the franchise.

After that, Angelo will get down to business. Devin Hester's agent, Eugene Parker, said he hopes to arrive in the afternoon for contract talks that are now the team's focus.

Urlacher has insisted it's not all about the money, that he wants to ''feel appreciated.'' Apparently, five years into a nine-year, $56.65 million contract, he doesn't appreciate the Bears' offer of $18 million in a one-year extension. Of course, only the $5 million signing bonus is guaranteed.

Urlacher underwent offseason neck surgery and has an arthritic back condition but says he's in good shape, even while he skips the voluntary workout program and prepares to turn 30 next month.

His existing contract pays him $3.95 million in base salary this season and rises to $4.95 million in 2009, $6.15 million in 2010 and $7.35 million in 2011, totaling $22.4 million. The Bears tied another $4 million in escalators to playing time in their offer and tacked on a year in 2012 with a $9 million base salary.

If he can stay healthy, Urlacher would collect on a $1 million escalator added to each year of the existing deal. He would trigger the extra pay by being on the field for 85 percent of the defensive snaps, which means he could miss roughly two games and a quarter of a third and still be paid.

A six-time Pro Bowl performer and former defensive player of the year, Urlacher has missed time only once, when hamstring and leg injuries cost him seven games in 2004. Although he didn't participate in about half of training camp last summer and sat out practices throughout the season, he showed up on Sundays and led the team in tackles while adding five sacks and five interceptions.

Urlacher is seeking more guaranteed money -- the way all contracts are measured -- but his timing in light of health issues has given Angelo cause for concern. Just how much, perhaps he will share today before he works on satisfying Hester's desires.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
From ESPN:

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo indicated Tuesday that the team won't budge off its contract offer to linebacker Brian Urlacher, who has been skipping the team's voluntary workouts while seeking a contract extension.

Brian Urlacher

Urlacher
"You're not going to have one big happy family," Angelo told reporters. "You who have kids and raise families understand it doesn't happen in your homes, and it certainly isn't going to happen at Halas Hall when you have 53 kids and we have to make every one of them happy. It's just not reality."

I can't believe that Angelo publically used an analogy that compared his entire roster to a bunch of kids. Stupid.

Bossman641
04-23-2008, 01:48 PM
From ESPN:

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo indicated Tuesday that the team won't budge off its contract offer to linebacker Brian Urlacher, who has been skipping the team's voluntary workouts while seeking a contract extension.

Brian Urlacher

Urlacher
"You're not going to have one big happy family," Angelo told reporters. "You who have kids and raise families understand it doesn't happen in your homes, and it certainly isn't going to happen at Halas Hall when you have 53 kids and we have to make every one of them happy. It's just not reality."

I can't believe that Angelo publically used an analogy that compared his entire roster to a bunch of kids. Stupid.

I saw the same thing in the paper this morning. I'm not sure NFL players would like being compared to kids. The family part makes sense, not so much the rest of it.

packinpatland
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
He's just trying to copy what Strahan did last year.....the sitting out part.....he's getting old.

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
If I was one of Jerry Angelo's kids, I wouldn't feel particularly flattered by the comparison either.