PDA

View Full Version : Ike to re-enter 2009 draft?

Brando19
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
In January, Wisconsin cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu suffered a torn ACL, dramatically damaging his draft stock.

And we’re now told as the draft approaches that Ikegwuonu supposedly has informed multiple teams that he’ll sit out the entire 2008 season and re-enter the draft in 2009, if he isn’t picked in one of the first two rounds.

There’s a belief that he’s bluffing, and that he really wouldn’t sit out. For several reasons, such a tactic would make no sense.

First of all, his draft stock likely wouldn’t improve dramatically after a year away from the game — unless he runs a 4.1 in the 40-yard dash at next year’s Scouting Combine.

Second, even if the torn ACL wipes out his rookie season, he’d get a year of credit in the league, and he’d be a year closer to free agency.

Third, if he signs a contract in 2008, he’ll get paid.

Fourth, his rehab will be supervised by a medical and training staff that has as much or more of an interest as the player does in getting him back to full health.

There’s also a chance that Ikegwuonu’s stance will prompt no team to draft him at all. Though unlikely, such a development would make him a free agent immediately. He would therefore not re-enter the draft in 2009, and thus would not be entitled to the high-dollar slotted payment that goes along with being selected in round one or two.

Though he’d also be available to the highest bidder, it’s unclear how much any team would put on the table to sign him off the street once he’s fully and completely healthy.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
This guy is just turning into a big ass hat and I am glad he is done with Wisconsin. He should have never come out in the first place. He turned out to be an average corner in the Big Ten. He wasn't even going to be a 1st rounder if he was healthy, he would have been grateful to be selected in the 2nd round. This is just another ploy by Rosenhaus.

KYPack
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
1st day talent, but he's a long way off as a player. Not technically sound and very poor instincts

Any agent worth his salt shoud've told him to play and excel one more year. He was about in the middle as a Big Ten corner, let alone NFL material.

I'm afraid the boy is a dumb shit that will never make it.

He's got more Maurice Clarett in him than Champ Bailey.

Lurker64
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm afraid the boy is a dumb shit that will never make it.

He's got more Maurice Clarett in him than Champ Bailey.

Well said, I agree completely.

Partial
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Man, how quick we turn on our own.

Lurker64
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Not everyone here is a Badger fan, I never thought much of Ike in the first place.

SkinBasket
04-18-2008, 12:46 PM

No one's turning on anyone. Most everyone here save you knew he wasn't that good before the injury. After the injury he's got as good a shot at getting into the league as Tim Couch does. A year out of football and a rebuilt knee combined with average skill and talent equals training camp fodder for the 2009 season.

Partial
04-18-2008, 12:48 PM
He was a big ten first team player the past two years, and nearly a freshman all-american. He had an excellent college career.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
He was a big ten first team player the past two years, and nearly a freshman all-american. He had an excellent college career.

He had a good sophomore year, and that went further than his play as a junior, it gave him more recognition than his play his junior year. He was supposed to be an all-american his junior year based on all the hype from his first two seasons. Instead he got put in his place by guys like Manningham and James Hardy. He even got toasted by the Minnesota receivers Ernie Wheelwright.

The Leaper
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM

He had an OK college career. Ike would've helped himself by staying another year. He probably was a borderline top 50 pick coming out this year even at 100%...he doesn't put up amazing workout numbers, and he isn't dominant on film. He's a good prospect, but would have a lot of work to do to become great in the NFL.

Now that he's damaged goods with a chatty mouth, he'll be lucky to get selected at all in 2008...and might have to rehab on his own dime. Good luck with that, Ike.

Brando19
04-18-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/18/ikegwuono-plans-to-play-this-year/

In response to rumors that Wisconsin cornerback Jack Ikegwuono is telling teams that he’ll sit out the 2008 season and re-enter the draft if he’s not taken in one of the first two rounds, a source close to Ikegwuono tells us that he “definitely” will play in 2008 regardless of where he is drafted.

That’s likely a wise move, for various reasons we pointed out earlier today. And for one more — as a league source has pointed out to us, if Ikegwuono is undrafted and signs as a free agent in 2008 or 2009, the team will have to fit his contract within the ever-confusing rookie salary cap, a device that likely will cause considerable fretting and sweating next year, which is expected to be the last capped year under the current CBA.

But then there’s the issue of Ikegwuono’s pending charges of residential burglary and criminal trespass. (The trespass charge is a misdemeanor; the burglary charge is a felony.) His March 2008 trial on the charges was continued. Thus, with the charges still pending, the team that drafts Ikegwuono will pick up the corresponding points in Turd Watch II.

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Stories like that seem to surface when you hire assholes for agents

cpk1994
04-18-2008, 06:26 PM

He had a good sophomore year, and that went further than his play as a junior, it gave him more recognition than his play his junior year. He was supposed to be an all-american his junior year based on all the hype from his first two seasons. Instead he got put in his place by guys like Manningham and James Hardy. He even got toasted by the Minnesota receivers Ernie Wheelwright.You must be smoking crack. You need to look at the stats:

James Hardy 4 catches 17 yards
(enough said)

Ernie Wheelwright 7 catches 92 yards long 30
(Hardly toasting. Taking out the long thats and you have 10yd avg.)

Mario Manningham 3 for 113 yds
(97 yds on one catch which was the result of an idiotic zone call and the one time Ike was not assigned Mario)

Not to mention that all 3 will be in the NFL. So arguing that he is average because he got put in his place by those 3? Not only do the stats not back it up, its a bad argument to begin with.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I remember Manningham just flying past Ike. He caught the quick screen and just flew right past him.

I stand corrected on Hardy, but I don't take out long catches when talking about Wheelwright or any of Manningham's, that is as ridiculous an argument, "gee I would have done fine against him, but he had that one long touchdown catch against me." That argument is like smoking crack.

I can't remember what game it was that he didn't show up for because he had a suspected tummy ache, but Robiski had two touchdowns against him, in fact made him look pretty bad on those two catches.

Am I saying that Ike was a total washout his senior year? No he was good player, but he didn't improve his junior year. He has a suspect character with the theft and all, and also the missed game that some rumored had to do with a hang over from the night before.

Manningham also had two touchdowns in that game, you can you use stats a lot of ways.