PDA

View Full Version : "GM's Moves have net mixed Results"

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Good JS article.

If there's one thing the rest of the teams in National Football League know it's that they have a trading partner in Ted Thompson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=741207

KYPack
04-18-2008, 09:54 PM
If you combine Seattle and GB, TT has NEVER traded up in any draft where he's called the shots.

That's a good article. I get the shakes every time Wil Whitticker's name gets mentioned.

Bretsky
04-18-2008, 09:57 PM
It was interesting to see them break down the actual players netted from the deals as opposed to what we gave up.

Seems like 05 was not good
Seems like 06 was outstanding
Seems like 07 is TBD

Farley Face
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Good JS article.

If there's one thing the rest of the teams in National Football League know it's that they have a trading partner in Ted Thompson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=741207

His drafts have been successful overall but a bit of a mixed bag. The pro personnel side of the house has been very good in my opinion (Donald Lee and Atari Bigby off the scrap heap, Grant for a 6th and Pickett and Woodson in UFA). If Rodgers isn't the answer long term at QB that 2005 draft is a D minus.

Joemailman
04-18-2008, 10:16 PM
It's early, but I feel pretty good about 2007. All but Bishop have a chance to be key players this year.

RashanGary
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Add it all up, and I think there are good chances we end up with 5 starters from the trades with one of them being probowl material (jennings).

Looks like other teams have a total of 3 and one of them being really good.

Seems like Thompson won.

Packnut
04-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Add it all up, and I think there are good chances we end up with 5 starters from the trades with one of them being probowl material (jennings).

Looks like other teams have a total of 3 and one of them being really good.

Seems like Thompson won.

Missing on Herremans at a position of GREAT need makes it a small win in my book. How good would he look on our team compared to what we have?

As badly as Thompson needed a guard, he passed up Herremans and basically wound up with nothing. He received three picks from the Eagles for his fourth and traded one of them - a sixth - to New England for two more picks.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Packnut is back after being MIA for most of the Packers 13-3 season. Almost every pick a team makes, there will have been a better pick on the board. You don't judge a draft by one hit or miss. You look at the draft in its entirety. When judging a GM, you look at all of his drafts, all of his big FA signings, and all of his small FA signings (guys like Lee and Bigby). Thompson has done quite well to this point. End of story.

Fritz
04-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't give up on "The Juice" Coston!

He starts at guard this year, all year, and Rodgers stays healthy and plays to his potential, and suddenly that '05 draft looks pretty good. Yeah baby!

RashanGary
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Packnut is back after being MIA for most of the Packers 13-3 season. Almost every pick a team makes, there will have been a better pick on the board. You don't judge a draft by one hit or miss. You look at the draft in its entirety. When judging a GM, you look at all of his drafts, all of his big FA signings, and all of his small FA signings (guys like Lee and Bigby). Thompson has done quite well to this point. End of story.

That's what Bellichik just said on an ESPN.com clip. He said you don't sit and grade a draft based on needs filled. You look back in a couple of years and if the player you drafted is a good player then it was a good pick. If he's a bad player it wasn't a good pick. It was as simple as that according to Bellichik. That is the same thing Thompson says. The experts are right here though ;) Ignore the best in the buis, your own distorted ego is probably right ;) That's to others, not you Harv.

And as far as the big picture goes, I agree 100%. A GM will be judged on wins and losses - that's it. Thompson's built his team, he'll have 6 or 7 years now where he can be judged. If he was a good GM he'll win. If he wasn't good enough he'll lose.

Bretsky
04-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't give up on "The Juice" Coston!

He starts at guard this year, all year, and Rodgers stays healthy and plays to his potential, and suddenly that '05 draft looks pretty good. Yeah baby!

First it was Da Fraud

Now it's Orange Julius

Fritz
04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Sigh.

I hope you're wrong, but you probably got me there, Bretsky.