PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco

Brando19
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PUVjmXq9vUk&feature=related

This guy really impresses me. He's 6'6", which has it's ups and downs, and he reminds me alot of Big Ben. Watch the deep ball challenge in the youtube video, he blows away the competition with a 74 yard throw. I would love the Packers to draft this guy in the 2nd round (or even use both 2nd rounders to go up and get this guy.)
If we can't get Flacco, I would be just as happy with Dennis Dixon of Oregon. If he wasn't injured halfway through the season, I believe he'd have won the Heisman.

RashanGary
04-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I was hot on him for a while. You watch his highlights and he HAS an NFL arm and looks like an NFL QB.

However, he's said to be a somewhat poor decision maker. I didn't look much into Brohm becauase early in the off season he was considered a high pick and I just wasn't in the mood to read up on QB's. After reading, Brohm is the kind of consistant passer and solid decision maker that tends to have success in the NFL. Hasselback, Grossman, Ganon, Warner, Brady, Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Manning, Manning, etc. . . These are SB contending QB's recently. They're all pretty similar. Brady is taller and has a big arm. The rest are good, solid athletes that make good decisions and can throw the ball where they want it to be. Brohm seems like that type of guy. Flacco has that big time upside where maybe he becomes another Big Ben, but Brohm seems to fit that successfull QB mold in the NFL.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't get why you would spend two 2nd round picks for a back up QB, and the last thing this team needs is a qb controversy.

Honestly I think you can get guys like John David Booty, Matt Flynn, and Andre Woodson for your back ups. Good guys that might not have the elight physical skills but could come in and effectively manage a game if Rodgers went down. Woodson has the best chance of being a starter in the league, but he is not polished, good prospect to coach up for the future.

LL2
04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't get why you would spend two 2nd round picks for a back up QB, and the last thing this team needs is a qb controversy.

Honestly I think you can get guys like John David Booty, Matt Flynn, and Andre Woodson for your back ups. Good guys that might not have the elight physical skills but could come in and effectively manage a game if Rodgers went down. Woodson has the best chance of being a starter in the league, but he is not polished, good prospect to coach up for the future.

I agree. Now way should TT spend two 2nd rd picks on a QB. I would pick up a prospect like Booty in the later rounds. Wolf always drafted a prospect in the later rounds and ended up getting a few good ones that ended up being traded.

motife
04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Fantasy Football Breaking News
Flacco draws mixed reviews
Joe Flacco - QB - CLG - Apr. 19 - 8:40 am et
One scout for a team that had a private workout with Delaware QB Joe Flacco called it "arguably the most impressive quarterback workout I've ever seen."
Other scouts are worried about his height. Since 1988, the only quarterback 6-6 or above to find success has been the Browns' Derek Anderson. Teams are obviously aware of the draft history on the tallest quarterbacks, but Anderson's success last season has likely helped Flacco's value. Apr. 19 - 8:40 am et
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

sheepshead
04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
This is one draft I think TT has a hard on for one or maybe 2 of these guys and if he's there TT pulls the trigger. I agree with the argument that we shouldn't waste the pick however. Just a feeling.

p.s. love the avatar motife-good to see you.

Fritz
04-19-2008, 11:04 AM

I just don't get how anybody here thinks drafting a QB in the late first or second round is going to generate a AB controversy. No rookie QB is going to come in and take Rodgers's job away. It's just not going to happen. A rookie QB - even one who will, eventually, be very good - is a deer in the headlights. Maybe Peyton Manning was the exception, but there are no Peyton Mannings in this draft.

ahaha
04-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Because the Packers have solid talent at every position group with decent young players as depth pretty much everywhere except for QB. If you look at the back-ups, the QB position is by far the most lacking. I don't know if Brohm, Flacco, or Henne is worth it, but if Thompson sees something in scouting one of these guys, the trade would make sense.
As for a quarterback controversy, the only way that happens is if Rodgers plays terrible or struggles with injuries. If he does, wouldn't it be nice to have the hope of young, high round talent at the position?

dissident94
04-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe our greatest need is qb. If he rates high i would take flacco with our 1st.
I can'r believe anyone doesn't feel we need a qb. We have no one basically that has ever started. Arod could be great. But if he isn't we are in serious trouble for the next decade.
Just ask Miami and Denver how they have been looking to replace their qbs. We need a backup qb, but also an insurance if Rodgers sucks

gbgary
04-19-2008, 11:23 AM
wait wait wait...qb controversy? if there's a guy available who's better than Arod you take him. championships are built on qb play. you don't let the next team have one when YOU can get one. we all loved majik but brett caught Wolf's eye and the rest is history. i'm not saying this guy is the next great qb, i'm just saying if you can get better, at the most important position on the field, you do it!!

Fritz
04-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Okay, let me say this again: no matter who you take in the draft this year - no matter which QB - there will be no QB controversy this year.

I'm not saying Rodgers is going to be great. Not at all. My point is that if you draft a QB, in his first year he's just not going to be ready to compete with a vet - even one like Rodgers, who has mostly sat. Rookie QB's just have too big a leap to make.

Now, if you draft a really good QB, then next year he might be ready to make a push. But not this year.

I can't really imagine TT not drafting a QB this year. Don't know who or what round, but I just can't imagine him carrying two old, decrepit backups. One, for sure. But not two.

RashanGary
04-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I believe our greatest need is qb. If he rates high i would take flacco with our 1st.
I can'r believe anyone doesn't feel we need a qb. We have no one basically that has ever started. Arod could be great. But if he isn't we are in serious trouble for the next decade.
Just ask Miami and Denver how they have been looking to replace their qbs. We need a backup qb, but also an insurance if Rodgers sucks

I agree. If Thompson likes Flacco better than the rest at #30 then the worst thing he can do is pass on him thinking he has it all figured out with Rodgers. Rodgers deserves a chance. That's it. He does not deserve 1, 2, 3 years on the job. He deserves it until something better comes along and Thompson owes it to Packer fans to do whats best for the team. He owes nothing to Rodgers and nobody knows what Rodgers has until he plays. Right now QB is as big of a need as any other position IMO. If we had a 26 yr old MVP Brett Favre I would passon 1st round QB's, but other than a superstar under a long term deal, there is no reason to stop bringing in competition. No reason to pass on potential stars with valuable draft picks when all you have is a question mark.

packers11
04-19-2008, 12:48 PM
As much as i'd love to see the packers pick up Flacco, i dont think there is any way in hell T.T. does it...

The qb controversy it would create would be enormous, and I don't think he would want to send any mixed messages to Rodgers...

Flacco is the best QB out of the draft in my opinion because I love the strong arm he has, and I would love to see the packers get him at #30 to compete with Rodgers, but I don't see it happenning.

motife
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
This is one draft I think TT has a hard on for one or maybe 2 of these guys and if he's there TT pulls the trigger. I agree with the argument that we shouldn't waste the pick however. Just a feeling.

There needs to be fierce competition at every position. I don't feel anyone should go into the season resting on their laurels, particularly if they don't really have any.

A majority of the big QB talent finds have been LATE round picks. Tom Brady, Trent Edwards, Derek Anderson, Kurt Warner, Trent Green, Matt Hasselbeck, David Garrard, Tony Romo, Matt Shaub, Mark Brunell.

as for the avatar, thanks. I haven't got over Steve irwin or Milton Friedman dying. Now WFB? It's too much.

Brando19
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I really like ARod, but the man gets injured too often. I say draft Flacco or Dixon and let them be his backup. What happens if Rodgers goes down Week 2 and is out the year? Do you think TT calls Brett? I doubt it. Who would you rather have...Nall or Flacco? I choose Joe all day.

Brando19
04-19-2008, 02:08 PM

There needs to be fierce competition at every position. I don't anyone should go into the season resting on their laurels, particularly if they don't really have any.

A majority of the big QB talent finds have been LATE round picks. Tom Brady, Trent Edwards, Derek Anderson, Kurt Warner, Trent Green, Matt Hasselbeck, David Garrard, Tony Romo, Matt Shaub, Mark Brunell.

as for the avatar, thanks. I haven't got over Steve irwin or Milton Friedman dying. Now WFB? It's too much.
I don't even think Romo was drafted.

motife
04-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't even think Romo was drafted.

I don't believe Kurt Warner was drafted either.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I like the Josh Johnson kid from San Diego(whale's vagina)

he's threw around 44 td's to 1 pick last season, that's damn impressive decision making, i'd love to see the pack spend their third on him

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I really like ARod, but the man gets injured too often. I say draft Flacco or Dixon and let them be his backup. What happens if Rodgers goes down Week 2 and is out the year? Do you think TT calls Brett? I doubt it. Who would you rather have...Nall or Flacco? I choose Joe all day.

Way to often, strained a hammy, and broke his foot. No chronic injuries there, sorry. He could have played on the hammy in an emergency or if he was the starter and the broken foot, he played a 4 series on it and didn't even know it was broken.

I guess compared to Favre he does get hurt too much.

But why Flacco? The guy is big, slow drop, long release. I don't care how far he can throw the ball if he can't get it out of his hand it doesn't matter. I see him as plodding. Sorry.

Brando19
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM

Way to often, strained a hammy, and broke his foot. No chronic injuries there, sorry. He could have played on the hammy in an emergency or if he was the starter and the broken foot, he played a 4 series on it and didn't even know it was broken.

I guess compared to Favre he does get hurt too much.

But why Flacco? The guy is big, slow drop, long release. I don't care how far he can throw the ball if he can't get it out of his hand it doesn't matter. I see him as plodding. Sorry.

We all have our opinions...no need to apologize. Only time will tell if Flacco is going to be a star in the NFL...I just hope if he is..he's a Packer.

motife
04-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Flacco's senior season was a gem: He started all 15 games and connected on 331-of-521 passes (63.5 percent) for 4,263 yards, 23 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He ran for four touchdowns and was sacked 25 times. Moreover, Delaware (11-4) made it to the finals of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA), losing 49-21 to the three-time defending champion Appalachian State Mountaineers.

Flacco opened eyes with his size and athleticism. At the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, he was the top quarterback in the three-cone drill. He placed second in the 20-yard shuttle, fifth in the vertical jump and sixth in the broad jump. Moreover, Flacco measured 6-foot-6 3/8 and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.84 seconds. Along with his superb senior season, these numbers explain why Flacco is likely to be one of the first four quarterbacks selected in the draft. The irony is that Palko went undrafted in 2007. He made the Saints as a free agent.

PositivesThere's little to criticize about Flacco's throwing. He is accurate on deep outs, slants, midrange patterns and shorter routes. He throws bullets, both on the move and with feet planted. His release is quick, more like a wrist snap than a windup. Flacco also displays a subtle touch, hitting receivers in stride and only using his fastball when necessary. In fact, he excels at putting just the right amount of zip on the ball, for both medium and long-range tosses. In short, Flacco looks to be the rare prospect that can, indeed, make all the throws, with whatever mix of touch and velocity the situation requires.

Few dispute he has the best arm in the draft. Combined with his height and measurable athleticism, Flacco embodies the cliché of upside. Then there's his durability: Flacco started 26 of 26 contests over the past two seasons despite enduring 48 sacks in that time. True, those starts were at Delaware, but there is less of a stigma about small college quarterbacks than there used to be.

Flacco has excellent field vision (helped once again by his height) and is adept at finding the open receiver when given the time to stand in and scan the field. He boasts good presence in the pocket, always keeping his eyes downfield while still being able to side-step oncoming defenders. While not exactly elusive, he has exhibited solid speed once he gets going and has the ability to make positive yardage when nothing opens up in the passing game. He has earned the respect of his teammates and doesn't fold his tent in high-pressure situations.

NegativesRelative to his draft class, Flacco has played in the minors. While his 26 starts at Delaware are nothing to sneeze at, his track record doesn't compare to that of quarterbacks Matt Ryan (34 starts at Boston College), Brian Brohm (33 starts at the University of Louisville) and Chad Henne (47 starts at the University of Michigan). It is fair to ask: If Flacco is so gifted, why did he sit behind Palko and only succeed in the Subdivision? In the 2008 Senior Bowl in January, Flacco completed just 2-of-7 for 22 yards and an interception, which makes questions about the level of competition he has faced all the more valid.

Flacco's decision-making also warrants skepticism. His 48 sacks in 26 games suggest that he holds the ball too long and locks onto primary targets. Those are hard tendencies to break, and NFL prospects often sink or swim because of them. These habits are particularly disturbing when you consider Flacco isn't slow-footed, and he operated primarily out of the shotgun at Delaware. If he had trouble scrambling and getting rid of the ball against Subdivision competition out of the shotgun, how will he fair under center against NFL defensive linemen? Flacco is already 23 years old, having sat out one year. Yet his footwork as a drop-back passer is untested. He didn't need ideal mechanics to excel at Delaware, but at the pro level a lack of foot fundamentals could hurt him.

Expected Draft PlacementThe retirement of quarterback Steve McNair makes the 38th overall spot a potential landing point for Flacco with the Baltimore Ravens. Another possible placement for Flacco is the Carolina Panthers in Round 2, picking 12th. With starting quarterback Jake Delhomme in the fold, the Panthers can afford to groom a small-school prospect. Meanwhile, the Chicago Bears, picking next, have needed a quarterback forever. They too might be tempted to draft a high-ceiling project without spending first-round money. Of course, these teams may also decide Henne or Brohm have more promise than Flacco does.

The Miami Dolphins, who have both the first and 26th pick of the second round, might also draft Flacco. It probably depends on whether new management is pleased with its current quarterback prospect, 26-year-old John Beck. Another possibility is the Atlanta Falcons, who pick third, sixth and 17th in round two. The Falcons could select Flacco if they pass on Ryan with the third overall pick. The same rationale applies to the Kansas City Chiefs, who pick fifth overall. If the Chiefs don't nab Ryan in round one, then they could use the fourth pick of the second round on Flacco. The Green Bay Packers could also give Flacco a long look as they have a pair of second-round picks and are in need of a backup to quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Then, there still remains the chance that Flacco could slide right out of Round 2 and on into Round 3, though if he does fall that far in the proceedings look for him to find a home quickly on Day 2.

RashanGary
04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Flacco definitly has the upside. I'm more of a Brohm fan now. Me and Partial woo-ooo.

Guiness
04-20-2008, 06:48 AM
:whaa:
spin this one!!!

The article motife posted makes a good point that you have to consider - why was he not able to unseat Palko?
Yes, some guys go to small schools by choice - but he went to a big school, didn't make it, and went elsewhere. I guess you could argue that he developed later, but still...

motife
04-20-2008, 11:40 AM
A looming Dolphins issue: With so many needs elsewhere, should they invest the first pick of the second round on a quarterback? Or should they instead wait to take one much later or sign Chris Simms if Tampa Bay cuts him, as some expect?

''If you don't take Matt Ryan [No. 1], don't take another quarterback,'' ESPN's Mel Kiper implored. 'It would make very little sense to say, `Let's draft Chad Henne or Joe Flacco.' If you [have serious doubts] about John Beck, you should draft Matt Ryan.''

Kiper projects Henne, Flacco and Louisville's Brian Brohm to go in the first 13 picks of Round 2. Miami's recent approach with those three:

• The Dolphins sent key offensive staffers to work out Henne in Michigan on March 25 (a day after a Dolphins contingent met with Ryan) and have told at least two people they like Henne and don't see a huge difference between Henne and Ryan.

• The Dolphins have made no contact with Delaware's Flacco or his agent since interviewing Flacco at February's NFL Combine. One person in contact with the Dolphins said they've implied they aren't high on him.

• A representative for Brohm spoke to the Dolphins about scheduling a private workout and meeting, but Miami never did it.

So why the Dolphins' apparent interest in Henne? ''He can make all the throws, has nice mechanics, is accurate, tough, smart,'' said draftnik Frank Coyle, who consults for NFL teams. But Sporting News analyst Russ Lande, a former Browns scout, said Henne struggles when forced to scramble.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski rates Henne fourth among that quartet. Though many have reported the Dolphins likely won't draft Ryan, Jaworski said Miami should consider it because ``he's a franchise player.''

Jaworski predicts all four will be NFL starters ''but then you fall off'' to prospects including USC's John David Booty, Tennessee's Erik Ainge, Kentucky's Andre' Woodson, Oregon's Dennis Dixon, LSU's Matt Flynn, San Diego's Josh Johnson and San Diego State's Kevin O'Connell.

cpk1994
04-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Okay, let me say this again: no matter who you take in the draft this year - no matter which QB - there will be no QB controversy this year.

I'm not saying Rodgers is going to be great. Not at all. My point is that if you draft a QB, in his first year he's just not going to be ready to compete with a vet - even one like Rodgers, who has mostly sat. Rookie QB's just have too big a leap to make.

Now, if you draft a really good QB, then next year he might be ready to make a push. But not this year.

I can't really imagine TT not drafting a QB this year. Don't know who or what round, but I just can't imagine him carrying two old, decrepit backups. One, for sure. But not two. You really think if the Packers draft a QB in round 1 that ESPN is just going to ignore the situation? You are ignorant if so. There may not be a "controversy" within the team, but you can be damn sure ESPN will make one, and it will be an enormous distraction.