PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically, if YOU could be The Green Bay Packer GM?

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
A hypothetical Exercise.

It's now in effect with the official date set to retire Brett Favre's number 4. We begin a new era.

A lot of fans here at Packer Rats love or otherwise support ( believe in ) our GM Ted Thompson. That he's our man to get us to the ultimate level. A Super Bowl.

This thread is not posted to in anyway antagonize any Packerrat that is firmly behind Ted Thompson. Everyone deserves respect on this board. This is a hypothetical exercise. To stimulate our thoughts at Packerrats. To establish a possible baseline.

None of us want Ted Thompson to fail in that esteemed endeavour.

To back up!

This morning it hit me; and just hypothetically thinking. :D

1.If any here aspired to be the Green Bay Packers GM? What would you work for (accept) as a commission for a 4 year contact to secure your services, work ethic and knowledge?

Please don't sell yourself short. Be OUR GM for a day! :D

Step up, as many here have a solid ability to manage and implemeny goals.Many better at that than me. We can all imagine or perceive Packer success. Let's have some fun with this exercise.

2. What would be your short term goals, for this season, in terms of player/positional acquisitions?

3.For the next three seasons, as you enter the final year of your contract.

4. Where (what positions?) do you feel we need an influx of talented players now?

ie Are there any FA's available that you covet as best choices to make an immediate impact for our success this season?

4b. What moves would you make next weekend in the draft? Rounds 1-4? Rounds 5-7?

ie If a QB, RB or OT we're to fall to us? Would you pick there Vs. a defensive talent ie CB, Free Safety, or Linebacker.

4c. Are there any players on our current roster that you deem untouchable?

5. We are aware of Aaron Rodgers as a possible injury concern. How would you respond to that based on our current QB status?

6. How would you deal with the media in terms of honesty or forthrightness?

ie would you admit openly to errors in judgement and give an impression that you've grown in your experiences?

7. What minimum record would you accept in our 2008 season as a mark that you we're achieving your goal?

Feel free to add to these questions. Play the "Your the Packer GM Game".

Have a blast. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Fritz
04-19-2008, 11:01 AM
If I were the Packer GM, my first move would be to hire Patler.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2008, 11:05 AM
1.If any here aspired to be the Green Bay Packers GM? What would you work for (accept) as a commission for a 4 year contact to secure your services, work ethic and knowledge? Are you talking about compensation?

2. What would be your short term goals, for this season, in terms of player/positional acquisitions? There are no short term goals as a GM. You keep building, and you keep building for the future. You pay certain free agents money because they fill a hole on your roster and will hopefully contribute as soon as they step on the field, ala Chuck Woodson, and Ryan Pickett. Others you pick up to secure depth on your roster. Drafting players is for the future, sure you expect guys drafted in rounds one through three to see the field and contribute their rookie year, but that is not a given, and it should be judged so. Short term goals is to make sure you have a coaching staff assembled or that you have overseen your head football coach in assembling the best coaching staff possible. Have your roster filled, draft prep done, pro scouting should have a list of possible players that would make a good addition to the roster. A GM shouldn't have short term goals related to wins and losses.

3.For the next three seasons, as you enter the final year of your contract. To build the best roster I can, always be on the lookout for talented players that can help this team win games.

4. Where (what positions?) do you feel we need an influx of talented players now? I am always looking to secure depth and talent along the defensive line, and in the secondary. I look for prospects for the offensive line in the later rounds of the draft. I also like to add a wide receiver or two every year to keep competition regular.

ie Are there any FA's available that you covet as best choices to make an immediate impact for our success this season? No, not at the price their asking I am more concerned with building this team and having the fianances available to compensate my player when the time comes. 12 million a year for a another team's corner back.

4b. What moves would you make next weekend in the draft? Rounds 1-4? Rounds 5-7? I like our team, I like our roster, sure there is going to be positions that need an influx of young talent. Like I said, I like to add to the defensive line and the secondary, regardless of what the roster looks like currently. This year we have two starting cornerbacks that are getting up there in age, still unbelievable players, but when it comes to replacing them I would like choose between 6 players instead of one or two. The more talent I can add the easier it will be to replace Woodson and Harris. you could say we have the same problem at offensive tackle, two really good players but age is not on their side. I would like to look at several prospects later in the draft that we could groom for the future and compete with the guys we already have on the roster.

ie If a QB, RB or OT we're to fall to us? Would you pick there Vs. a defensive talent ie CB, Free Safety, or Linebacker. Quarterback no, we have our quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, but we do need a couple of prospects at QB to compete for our #2 and #3. Talent is talent, the more you have the more flexible your roster can be, so if a top rated player is there, then I will take him, of course if I have two players looking me in the face and they grade out nearly the same then of course need plays a roll in who I am going to select.

4c. Are there any players on our current roster that you deem untouchable? I don't know, probably, but I would hate to speculate on that unless their was actually a foundation put in place where a trade was a possibility for a certain player. Up until Brett retired, he was the only player that I could have let go for any price, the back lash here in Green Bay and Wisconsin would have been to great.

5. We are aware of Aaron Rodgers as a possible injury concern. How would you respond to that based on our current QB status?

If I can't speak with full honesty, then I am just speculating, and that could cause problems throughout the organization. I would keep close to the vest on a lot of football related material simply because I wouldn't want to show our hand until the game is over.

ie would you admit openly to errors in judgement and give an impression that you've grown in your experiences?
I would speak honestly with respect to individuals with those type of questions.

7. What minimum record would you accept in our 2008 season as a mark that you we're achieving your goal?
I really can't measure my job 100% by the team's record in any given year. You have to be careful throwing out numbers in that case. Certain things you can't predict, injuries and such, they are not an excuse, but they do have an impact on the franchise.

Jimx29
04-19-2008, 11:16 AM
First thing i'd do is get a new rug

RashanGary
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
If I were GM I would keep track of each scouts opinions and see who's opinion is right more often over time. I would then start to trust that scout or scouts more than the rest. I woiuld fire any scout who was wrong more often then the others over the course of enough time.

As far as a general approach, I would lean toward taking as many good players (whatever position) as possible as long as it's within reason. I believe teams with extra DE's can find a way to use them in a rotation and be effective with it. I believe teams with two good RB's will find a way to play to that strength. I believe a team with 6 or 7 starting caliber Olineman will end up using them over the course of a season or they will ready when the older ones retire or when injury hits. I believe a team with stud CB's can coach to that strength and blitz more. I believe depth will also show up on ST's.

Overall, I think there are unlimited ways to win, so take whatevers best (within reason), build the team around that. The only thing limited is legit talent. You don't pass on the one commodity that is not manufacturable (talent) in favor of a lesser player at a position you aren't as set at. You just keep the rotating door open and with the way the tier system works, your biggest needs are the players you are most likely to pick becasuse need breaks the tie breaker anyway. That said, the worst thing you can do is cut out half of the players in the draft just because you don't need them right at the moment. You do that and you end up with a player rated at 45 instead of 30, 70 instead of 56, 100 instead of 90 and so on. What's the point in having higher picks if you aren't going to take better players?

Fritz
04-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I still had the best idea of any offered yet: hire Patler.

Then, being as I am single now, I would use my influence as the GB Packers' GM to try to get with all those beautiful Wisconsin women.

Then I would probably read a lot of Packer website and wring my hands in anguish.

Then I would probably draft guys like Robert Ferguson, Junius Coston, and Odell Thurman.

Then I would read more Packer sites and listen to fan call-in shows, and I would begin drinking heavily.

Then, having been turned down by all those beautiful Wisconsin women, I would probably pull an Elliot Spitzer and pay for it.

Then I'd get caught, and I'd drink even more while blubbering openly over the criticism I'd be reading on the Packer web sites.

Wow. What a crappy GM I'd be.

Thank God I hired Patler, anyway.

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 11:56 AM
If I were the Packer GM, my first move would be to hire Patler.

A logical move to a logical Man.

Patler is possibly an Earth sign. He see's math all around him and it just makes sense based in that or not. :D

I'd like him on my Scouting and Analytical team for sure. He'd serve very well as an Administrator and in Contrct negotiations as well.

Patler seems to me to be a:

It's just this way based on this analysis, sort of a guy. No nonsence take it or leave it. I would hope that given all the money we'll soon have, he would be assertive with it, yet protective in case there's too much rain.

Patler is highly respected, and regarded at Packerrats. A valuable member.

A tough man to debate with too. :D He backs himself up, well. Thus the respect.

Patler = Solid move.

Packers forever!

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
1.If any here aspired to be the Green Bay Packers GM? What would you work for (accept) as a commission for a 4 year contact to secure your services, work ethic and knowledge?

Are you talking about compensation? deputy Nutz

Yes Nutz. What would be your bottom line as a yearly salary or bonus desires?

i.e. A lot of people her might want the GM's job and work relatively cheap. Take what they presently make and add a little to that plus get paid expences. Just to have that job would be a thrill. Well for the first year anyway till they felt all it entailed. haha :D

Then they's be like Brian Urlacher. Wanting.

Please don't sell yourself short. Be OUR GM for a day! :D

Step up, as many here have a solid ability to manage and implemeny goals.Many better at that than me. We can all imagine or perceive Packer success. Let's have some fun with this exercise.

2. What would be your short term goals, for this season, in terms of player/positional acquisitions?

There are no short term goals as a GM. You keep building, and you keep building for the future. You pay certain free agents money because they fill a hole on your roster and will hopefully contribute as soon as they step on the field, ala Chuck Woodson, and Ryan Pickett. Others you pick up to secure depth on your roster. Drafting players is for the future, sure you expect guys drafted in rounds one through three to see the field and contribute their rookie year, but that is not a given, and it should be judged so. Short term goals is to make sure you have a coaching staff assembled or that you have overseen your head football coach in assembling the best coaching staff possible. Have your roster filled, draft prep done, pro scouting should have a list of possible players that would make a good addition to the roster. A GM shouldn't have short term goals related to wins and losses.. . . ** Deputy Nutz **

To build the best roster I can, always be on the lookout for talented players that can help this team win games. **

4. Where (what positions?) do you feel we need an influx of talented players now?

I am always looking to secure depth and talent along the defensive line, and in the secondary. I look for prospects for the offensive line in the later rounds of the draft. I also like to add a wide receiver or two every year to keep competition regular. **

ie Are there any FA's available that you covet as best choices to make an immediate impact for our success this season?

No, not at the price their asking I am more concerned with building this team and having the fianances available to compensate my player when the time comes. 12 million a year for a another team's corner back. **

4b. What moves would you make next weekend in the draft? Rounds 1-4? Rounds 5-7?

I like our team, I like our roster, sure there is going to be positions that need an influx of young talent. Like I said, I like to add to the defensive line and the secondary, regardless of what the roster looks like currently. This year we have two starting cornerbacks that are getting up there in age, still unbelievable players, but when it comes to replacing them I would like choose between 6 players instead of one or two. The more talent I can add the easier it will be to replace Woodson and Harris. you could say we have the same problem at offensive tackle, two really good players but age is not on their side. I would like to look at several prospects later in the draft that we could groom for the future and compete with the guys we already have on the roster. **

ie If a QB, RB or OT we're to fall to us? Would you pick there Vs. a defensive talent ie CB, Free Safety, or Linebacker.

Quarterback no, we have our quarterback in Aaron Rodgers, but we do need a couple of prospects at QB to compete for our #2 and #3. Talent is talent, the more you have the more flexible your roster can be, so if a top rated player is there, then I will take him, of course if I have two players looking me in the face and they grade out nearly the same then of course need plays a roll in who I am going to select. **

Deputy Nutz said as I interpreted it that the teams record isn't a criteria he uses to measure targets or goals. If I'm wrong correct me Deputy Nutz.

woodbuck27

Feel free to add to these questions. Play the "Your the Packer GM Game".

Have a blast. :D

PACKERS FOREVER![/quote]

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 01:39 PM
First thing i'd do is get a new rug

The Packers don't discrimminate against any baldness. We remember Raymond Ernest (Wildman) Nitschke, and still dig him. :D

Ray Nitschke, according to Hall of Fame quarterback and teammate Bart Starr, was "a classic example of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

Off the field, he was a thoughtful, caring person. On the field, he was a ferocious middle linebacker who at times seemed to truly enjoy hitting people.

A fierce competitor, Ray was the heart of the great Green Bay Packers defense of the 1960s.

more:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ray-nitschke-at.htm/printable

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ray-nitschke-at-1.jpg

Ray Nitschke was a hard-hitting linebacker who was also quick enough to intercept 25 passes in his career.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I still had the best idea of any offered yet: hire Patler.

Then, being as I am single now, I would use my influence as the GB Packers' GM to try to get with all those beautiful Wisconsin women.

No No No! Fritz.

You have to be, on the job.

http://www.excitingmovs.com/st/thumbs/028/5341727114.jpg

We hired these two Ladies fr. Wisconsin to be your personal assistants.

They know a lot about life, little about football so you may impress them with just about anything. They will insist on long noon hour lunch's down at Barneys Draft Room most days; but there insistance will be your option. You may return to Lambeau to work but they drink a lot and expect you to cover the tab.

We'll be monitoring you closely Fritz before your three year job performance review. Yes! You'll get raises every anniversary date. We know!! Draft prices at Barney's are on the rise.

We don't expect a lot out of OUR GM on Fridays Fritz or long weekends. We expect you'll be at Barneys. RELAXING for the next weeks heavy load.

By the way that's Mary Beth and Marquerite. They don't care if you confuse them. They type well. 25 words a minute. They love to take dictation.

Sorry they come with the job. Your stuck there Fritz.

Then I would probably read a lot of Packer website and wring my hands in anguish.

Take that to OUR Packer Complaint Box. We open it at years end. Most complaints will be ignored.

Then I would probably draft guys like Robert Ferguson, Junius Coston, and Odell Thurman.

Everybody who will come is welcome in Green Bay Fritz.

Then I would read more Packer sites and listen to fan call-in shows, and I would begin drinking heavily.

I recommend Old Milwaukee. It's good and cheap too.

Then, having been turned down by all those beautiful Wisconsin women, I would probably pull an Elliot Spitzer and pay for it.

No not necessary as Mary Beth and Marguerite come from large Family's of many sisters and well, they like to party Fritz. Some of them work at the Lambeau consession booths. They love POWER.

Then I'd get caught, and I'd drink even more while blubbering openly over the criticism I'd be reading on the Packer web sites.

No problem again, as we can give you options.** We also understand the pressure of being a Packer GM Fritz. ( see Mary Beth and Marguerite.)

** ie a lobotomy is one option, but if you saw "One Flew Over The Coocoo Nest" Fritz? You'll likely skip that one!?

Otherwise we'll set you into a meditative Zen like state. So you'll not ever get too serious over your duties. We have another lovely Lady hired to train you in the ways of ZEN. She's very relaxing to be around. her name is Lulu.

Your complaining already Fritz !!??? No need.

Please don't fuss. Afterall, what did you ask to be paid? Ask more and we expect more. As it is enjoy - RELAX. You came on the cheap. Your idea not our's. We don't expect much. Just show your face once in awhile around Lambeau. Maybe a news conference once a month. Newspaper guys??

Screw em'.

Otherwise, LOW PROFILE. You'll be OK anyway Fritz. Just show up and enjoy Barney's a lot.

Your OUR GM not our Head coach. He's the MAN. So just stay in the back room and play a lot of 8 and 9 ball pool. Need a snooker table? Ping Pong??

Wow. What a crappy GM I'd be.

Patler is Pentacostle, and won't have a thing to do with Mary Beth or Marguerete.

Thank God I hired Patler, anyway.

No No No ! GOD won't help you.

You have a locked down four year contract. Enjoy Green Bay and Wisconsin.

Once in awhile deny deny deny. :D

Hey it's Saturday and I'm joking everyone. I'm also in the Maritimes and it's the good air down here. :D

Packers Forever.

woodbuck27
04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
If I were GM I would keep track of each scouts opinions and see who's opinion is right more often over time. I would then start to trust that scout or scouts more than the rest. I woiuld fire any scout who was wrong more often then the others over the course of enough time.

JH I always knew we could count on your toughness.

As far as a general approach, I would lean toward taking as many good players (whatever position) as possible as long as it's within reason. I believe teams with extra DE's can find a way to use them in a rotation and be effective with it. I believe teams with two good RB's will find a way to play to that strength. I believe a team with 6 or 7 starting caliber Olineman will end up using them over the course of a season or they will ready when the older ones retire or when injury hits. I believe a team with stud CB's can coach to that strength and blitz more. I believe depth will also show up on ST's.

Another of your fine qualities:

Your flexibility to utilize your resources.

Overall, I think there are unlimited ways to win, so take whatevers best (within reason), build the team around that. The only thing limited is legit talent. You don't pass on the one commodity that is not manufacturable (talent) in favor of a lesser player at a position you aren't as set at. You just keep the rotating door open and with the way the tier system works, your biggest needs are the players you are most likely to pick becasuse need breaks the tie breaker anyway.

That's the way "the National Ballet" works. VERY GOOD!! The board will place that suggestion under review.

That said, the worst thing you can do is cut out half of the players in the draft just because you don't need them right at the moment. You do that and you end up with a player rated at 45 instead of 30, 70 instead of 56, 100 instead of 90 and so on. What's the point in having higher picks if you aren't going to take better players?

That's why we are happy to have you as OUR GM. Your youth and exuberance is infectious. We like your innovative ways of seeing things. You also take criticism well. You don't run from the house.

Don't come to the board for a raise till after three year's. You signed a contract. :D

Packers Forever!

Patler
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, thanks for the votes of confidence! I am :oops: by your kind remarks!

Now, having accepted Fritz's kind (and generous) offer, this is what I will do:

1. Hire the most skilled audio and video surveillance experts we can find, particularly with knowledge of the most miniaturized equipment.

2. Purchase equipment (cutting edge). The goal is to be the envy of the CIA.

3. Hire dedicated operatives and dispatch them to the games and practices of all 2008 opponents. Scatter them around the stadium dressed to the hilt in the apparel of their subjects so as not to raise suspicion. Each will have different assignments, to document players, coaches, etc. from different angles.

4. Find an inconspicuous abandoned factory and install an audio/video processing facility. The accumulated info for the next opponent should reach our Coach's PDAs within minutes of the conclusion of the previous game.

5. For our own games we will need to outfit a van, RV or several to process information gathered from throughout the stadium and relay it to our sideline.

6. All of our coaches will give up their contact lenses, and those without the need for glasses will suddenly require them. This should allow us to outfit each with holographic projecting glasses for video information, with transmitters for bone-conducted audio. Our coaches will be well-informed!

7. With the right equipment, I know we can intercept the opponents on-field communications as well.

8. Since the NFL has authorized audio helmets on defense, we will not need to sneak that into Barnett's helmet. On the other hand, truly miniaturized communications in helmets of all players might have value. We'll check that out.

Just a few things on my agenda.... :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Bill? That's you, right?

Patler
04-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Bill? That's you, right?

Ah, but we will do it better than Bill, a mere hack!
Is it a coincidence that he loses the Super Bowl the year he gets caught???

woodbuck27
04-20-2008, 09:11 AM

1. Hire the most skilled audio and video surveillance experts we can find, particularly with knowledge of the most miniaturized equipment.

3. Hire dedicated operatives and dispatch them to the games and practices of all 2008 opponents. Scatter them around the stadium dressed to the hilt in the apparel of their subjects so as not to raise suspicion. Each will have different assignments, to document players, coaches, etc. from different angles.

4. Find an inconspicuous abandoned factory and install an audio/video processing facility. The accumulated info for the next opponent should reach our Coach's PDAs within minutes of the conclusion of the previous game.

5. For our own games we will need to outfit a van, RV or several to process information gathered from throughout the stadium and relay it to our sideline.

6. All of our coaches will give up their contact lenses, and those without the need for glasses will suddenly require them. This should allow us to outfit each with holographic projecting glasses for video information, with transmitters for bone-conducted audio. Our coaches will be well-informed!

7. With the right equipment, I know we can intercept the opponents on-field communications as well.

8. Since the NFL has authorized audio helmets on defense, we will not need to sneak that into Barnett's helmet. On the other hand, truly miniaturized communications in helmets of all players might have value. We'll check that out.

Ok Patler.

So your the High Teck. GM. Also sneaky. It's all good.

More power to you. To . . . THE GREEN . . . BAY . . . PACKERS...... with all those facts on everyting football, add supreme administrative skills.Your certainly a value to us Packer fans.

We are seeing a "GM by Committee" approach take form here at PACKERRATS.

By the way Patler: Who are your favourite Authors. Re: Video surveillance.

I understand there's a rumor floating, that New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick is coming out with an "insider book" soon.

PACKERS FOREVER.

woodbuck27
04-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Bill? That's you, right?

Damn MJ. I think you're right.Who was that guy? Really?? He seemed to know!? What he was talking about.

We certainly need better surveillance.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Fritz
04-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Whew. Since Patler seems to have things well in hand, I guess I can go to lunch with Mary Beth and Marquerite.

Call me, Patler, if Matt Millen calls about a trade. Or Al Davis.

woodbuck27
04-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Fritz:

For Pete's sake don't allow Mary Beth or Marguerite to ignore the fileing, typing etc.

They sometimes have a tendancy to just like to play. You have only been our GM for a short while so may not have noticed?

Hey B., Harvey and anyone else. We need your thoughts.

PACKERS FOREVER.

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
There was a brief while where I wondered if this was going to turn into another Dragon thread, but apparently you guys are going in a different direction.

Partial
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
If I was the Packers general manager, I'd look to continue stock piling young talent and improving from within. I don't think we're at a saturation point just yet where we will be forced to cut some really good players.

I'd adapt a "BPA" philosophy of buidling through the draft, but I would also place place special emphasis on acquiring LT, QB, CB, DE and DT. If two players are close and one is of one of the above positions, they get the go ahead in my book.

Love of football, competing, winning and being a member of a team will be very important characteristics in player evaluation.

I'd take 50 grand a year.

Bretsky
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM

I'd want whatever the going rate was for a starting GM; I'd prove myself over time and would strike riches upon my renewal

Short term goals would be to continue with the positive atmosphere and results from last year. Goal would be to continue to develop a dominant defense and improve our interior OL so we can consistently run the football against the best defenses in the game. Those two things, over anything, well make AROD's job easier.

This year will be a year of transition; anybody who thinks we don't miss a beat after going from Favre to AROD is drinking some Kool Aide that I want. This year the goal is to win the division again; each year the goal will be to go deeper into the playoffs than the previous year with the ultimate goal being the Super Bowl. When it comes down to judging me as a GM, the first and most important question will be whether I brough a NFL Title to Green Bay

No position is off limits to being improved; we can either use better starters or more depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, S, CB, and P. Pretty content with Crosby. They may be it. More specifically, our interior OL needs to be better, much better. When we lose, they tend to be absolutely dominated. They have to play better. We also need to get some youthful talent stocked at the CB position ready to step in when the play of Harris and Woodsen start going down. If a CB is ready one of the older CB's could always give safety a try. We obviously need another TE, and we need more strenth on the DL. A backup QB is a necessity too; basically I would not ignore any position if I had the opprotunity to acquire talent was there

Right now the talent is not there. Upon the start of free agency, I'd have went after Bell (OG from Tennessee) or Scott (OG from Indy). Both would be very very solid starters with youth on their side. Then I'd let Coston, Moll, Colledge, and Spitz fight for the last spot. That would IMO have done wonders for the long term stability of our rushing attack. I'd also have inquired about Randy Moss; I'm somewhat convinced Moss did nothing but use other teams in order to get more money from New England. But if he would be willing to ink a deal with Green Bay I'd have given it a whirl if I also knew Favre would return

Best Player Available in round one. I'd sit there at pick 30 and see what drops. Somebody will probably fall further than they should. At that point, I'd still probably entertain offers to trade down 5-10 spots and pick up an extra draft pick. Ideally I trade down in round one and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th. I'd probably also trade down with one of the round two picks if anybody was looking to move up. I'd expect to come away with at least nine picks and some very good players. There would be a very good chance I'd select a TE and CB amont the top 4 picks. Beyond that Best player on the board.............would be great if a OG fell into my lap as well

I might have a hard time drafting a QB in round one at pick 30 because I'm not convinced a guy like Brohm will be much better than a guy like Flaco or Henne. At pick 30, again, I'd entertain offers.

If Stewart falls, I either trade down or draft him. He might due to the injury.
If a LB falls, like Mayo, I probably draft him as well. There is no such thing as having too much talent anywhere. Ditto for WR. Some in here like Hardy; I'd agree. The guy would bring a red zone threat to us that we just don't have right now on the jump ball. I'd absolutely pick a free safety. We don't have an All Pro at Safety. If the top one falls and he's the best guy on the board there is no reason not to pick him. I'd be hesitant to take a OT at this point, but probably would if he was the best guy. Barbre might be a future OT; Colledge as well. Tauscher and Clifton IMO still have some years left in the tank.

Absolutely not; there are players that I'd be very hesitant about moving. But saying one is untouchable closes opportunities.

I'd already have signed or would sign a veteran. From there I'd grab one in the draft as well. Healthy competition only makes one better. If a player is shaken by competition he won't survive too long in the NFL.

Overall I'd be as honest and forthright as possible as long as doing so didn't get in the way of short or long term goals. I'd be very accessible and would provide opinions, but they probably would not be specific enough to implicate anything. When it comes to the draft I'd be very careful with what I share. In fact, I'd probably lead the media on when it comes to the draft; no way would I ever give the media the knowledge to know who I was actually interested in come draft day.

Sure; I'd make a ton of mistakes, and I think I'd openly fess up to them after they were made.

I think a GM should expect this team to win the division and make the playoffs. Injury or not to AROD, that should be the expectation. Whether that is 9 or 10 wins is not really important. The Central Division Title is.
This will be a transition year. Each year the players will have set their eyes on the Super Bowl Title; but deep down as the GM I know that is highly unlikely this year.........but very realistic in the next three years.

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 06:29 PM
There was a brief while where I wondered if this was going to turn into another Dragon thread, but apparently you guys are going in a different direction.

MJ it'll all come out in the wash. Nothing like a little humor to allow the brain to work. It can be serious 8 AM to Noon & 1 - 5 PM but the rest of the time it's amazing what we drag out with a few laughs.

Look at the ideas the Deputy Nutz and Justin Harrell have put forward. We take it all and come up with something that should work.It'll be interesting to see what fellas like B.,Harvey, Red and Vince Etc. come up with.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
If I was the Packers general manager, I'd look to continue stock piling young talent and improving from within. I don't think we're at a saturation point just yet where we will be forced to cut some really good players.

I'd adapt a "BPA" philosophy of buidling through the draft, but I would also place place special emphasis on acquiring LT, QB, CB, DE and DT. If two players are close and one is of one of the above positions, they get the go ahead in my book.

Love of football, competing, winning and being a member of a team will be very important characteristics in player evaluation.

I'd take 50 grand a year.

Great! We have established a bottom line base salary for OUR GM.We will consider uping the anti. Your selling yourself short Partial. :)

Your drafting strategy parallel's TT's. Your's allows for built-in flexibility and your position of need analysis is good. I think we also have to look at the TE and Guard position's as well for an upgrade and depth.

I believe this season will be for the most part used to re-evaluate our team. To take serious stock as we have a number of Vet's that may show a decline. I would be loking at Al Harris and KGB with criticle anaysis for example. How much value do such players really have for us.

I would look for an oportunity to use Darren Colledge at LT to see if his college game position will be of strength to us in our future. Is he a starting LT or a back-up? Can we afford him as a back-up?

" Love of football, competing, winning and being a member of a team will be very important characteristics in player evaluation. " Partial

Yes! An excellent contribution Partial.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
B. I'd give you feedback on all your points but as usual I see your ideas as bang on.

Specific and straight up, a solid GM approach Bretsky.

I do feel that the GM should exercise care in his dealings with the media but be candid and forthright as well in terms of missed opportunity's. He should admit errors in judgement and not simply pass off questions from the press and media with the same Ole same Ole.

He should be very human. Likeable means approachable in terms of media support which lends itself well in terms of recruitment possibilitys.

Generally TT does a fine job of rewarding players that deserve it. That's an attractive policy to aid recruitment.

A less conservative approach to advertise Green Bay's intentions to win a Super Bowl has to reach the media. Draw future FA attention. Make top talent desire to play for the Packers and win a Super Bowl ring, not simply secure huge contracts.

Outstanding contribution B.

PACKERS FOREVER!