PDA

View Full Version : ND mock...

ND72
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
1. Miami Dolphins Jake Long OT, Michigan
No matter how often I hear the Dolphins are going to draft Defense, I can’t help but think they need to take the best Lineman in the draft, and think protection over whomever they have playing Quarterback. My opinion anyway is Jake Long is the best player right now to step in and play.
2. St. Louis Rams Chris Long DE, Virginia
Rams are looking to improve their defense in a big way. Chris Long is the best defensive player on the board, and has the best ability to step in right now to play. They can line him up next to last years #1 Carriker, and let the 2 young men to blossom together.
3. Atlanta Falcons Glenn Dorsey DT, LSU
What don’t the Falcons need? At this point, they take the top player not drafted out of the top 3 of Long, Long, & Dorsey.
4. Oakland Raiders Darren McFadden RB, Arkansas
For the Raiders it comes down to a couple things, #1 the other 3 players that would fit in on their team are off the board already. And #2, Al Davis loves offense, so they’ll take the best offensive playmaker on the board. Justin Fargas is a good back, but not a feature back like McFadden can be.
5. Kansas City Chiefs Sedrick Ellis DT, USC
For Kansas City, I believe their board looks a lot like the way this draft is turning out. Jake Long is the desire, but they’ll take which ever Defensive player falls to them. I’ve seen a lot of people having them take Matt Ryan here, but I think they like Croyle and will let him play before looking elsewhere.
6. New York Jets Vernon Gholston DE/OLB, Ohio State
I’m not a huge fan of Gholston, as I think he is a combine leaper, as in he is very talented, no question, but his combine numbers have pushed him up this high. I do think, however, that he fits in real well with the Jets and their 3-4 defense. If used correctly he could be a premier edge pass rusher.
7. New England Patriots Branden Albert OG, Virginia
As I was thinking on this pick, Branded Albert was sitting there, but I just couldn’t get the Patriots to draft him. But then I was reading about their current RG’s health issues, and boom, no question. Albert’s stock has raised like gas prices, and is a lock to be a top 10 pick.
8. Baltimore Ravens Matt Ryan QB, BC
Is there anyone else the Ravens would take here? No McNair, and the only other QB on roster is Kyle Bowler. Matt Ryan is an easy pick.
9. Cincinnati Bengals Keith Rivers LB, USC
The Bengals are slowly heading back to being the Bungals. They need to keep working on improving their Defense, and worry about their offense later. They should look for a WR at some point in the 2nd or 3rd rounds as one of their top WR’s is in and out of jail and now cut, and the other might be traded by draft day.
10. New Orleans Saints Leodis McKlevin CB, Troy
Saints are constantly looking to improve their defense. They’ve added a pretty good CB in the offseason, but to keep adding players in the defensive backfield is premium for them.
11. Buffalo Bills D. Rogers-Cromartie CB, TSU
Bills need defense, and more specifically, they need cornerbacks. Rogers-Cromartie has a shot to come in and start as a rookie.
12. Denver Broncos Ryan Clady OT, Boise State
Broncos are one of those teams that I sit and look at and say, man, they need a lot of stuff. They’ve spent lots of coin on their defense, which has vastly underachieved. They have a Quarterback with a heck of a lot of potential, so their plan to should to protect that Quarterback, and add a top Tackle at this spot. Word has it the Broncos have already been talking extensively with Clady
13. Carolina Panthers Chris Williams OT, Vandy
Panthers would like to move Wharton inside to Guard, thus leaving a big whole opposite Gross. Williams is crazy athletic, and would fit their zone blocking scheme perfectly as well.
14. Chicago Bears Jeff Otah OT, Pitt
Just being honest, I’m not a big fan of Otah. And not looking like too much of a homer not liking Chicago either, but they need a youth movement on the Offensive Line. I believe they are hoping for Chris Williams to make it to them, but end up having to go with Otah.
15. Detroit Lions Derrick Harvey DE, Florida
Something about a DE from a Florida school has failure written all over it to me, but the Lions need defense, in a big big way. Coach Marinelli is still looking for that End Rusher with the likes of Simeon Rice, and his hope is Harvey can step in and fill that void.
16. Arizona Cardinals Rashard Mendenhall RB, Illinois
I have serious doubts Mendenhall will drop this far, BUT, if he does, Arizona would be foolish to pass on him. Yes they have Edge, but yes he has declined. But Edge would be a nice mentor to Mendenhall to grow and help the Cardinals continue their hopeful push to improvement.
17. Minnesota Vikings Phillip Merling DE, Clemson
New year, same thoughts with Minnesota. They’re looking for pass rushers, and defensive backs on defense, while probably looking for offensive line help as well. Merling could become a very solid pass rusher, which is what Minnesota is hoping for.
18. Houston Texans Mike Jenkins CB, South Florida
Houston is one of those teams that feels like they’re on the verge of improving, and the best way for teams to improve is by adding depth to defenses. Mike Jenkins would be a very welcome addition to the Texans defense, especially with the past two 1st round picks of Williams & Okoye on their defensive line. They would be adding coverage with an improving pass rush.
19. Philadelphia Eagles Devin Thomas WR, Michigan State
I’ve heard lots of debates on which direction the Eagles are going to go. Personally I think Andy Reid will want to go defense, but the chance to add a top WR to the mix to hopefully make another push to the playoffs with McNabb might prevail.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers DeSean Jackson WR, Cal
I think Brohm has a chance of going here if he’s still around, but I think the Bucs will say of our 97 QB’s they have on staff, they’ll take their chances with the ageless wonder Jeff Garcia and try to add some explosiveness to the offense with Jackson.
21. Washington Redskins Kenny Phillips S, Miami
I think Washington is another team that could go lots of directions in the draft, and probably will follow a board and take the best player at the time. I think Phillips serves 2 areas for the Redskins. #1, he fills a void left by the tragic death of Sean Taylor, and #2, he is a player for an already good defense.
22. Dallas Cowboys Limas Sweed WR, Texas
Gut feeling is the Cowboys will play the top player card, but probably the top player on offense, especially in the 1st round having 2 1st round picks. Dallas will keep Texas in Texas and take the big physical player in Sweed, and put him opposite T.O. and let players like Glenn & Clayton use their speed through the middle.
23. Pittsburgh Steelers Gosder Cherlius OT, BC
Steelers again are a team that can simply play their draft board and take best player available. Now that I say that, they do have a need on their offensive line, mostly because they were very bad last year. Cherlius might be a bit of a stretch at this point, but is probably the top player available from the OL. If they do go that direction, I would suspect Cherlius or Sam Baker according to this draft.
24. Tennessee Titans Malcom Kelly WR, Oklahoma
For the Titans, I feel it’s pretty easy. You invested your future in Vince Young, you HAVE to get him some weapons to allow him and your team to be at all successful. While I do think the Titans will sprinkle in Defense through the draft, Offense has to be a priority.
25. Seattle Seahawks Fred Davis TE, USC
My feeling for the Seahawks is they need to add offense. Their defense is pretty solid, but aging at some points. But offense is getting old quickly. While I did think of Jonathan Stewart going here, I can’t see them investing money in 3 RB’s, 4 if they don’t cut Shawn Alexander. Fred Davis is probably the top offensive playmaker to add to their roster.
26. Jacksonville Jaguars Kentwan Balmer DT, UNC
Defensive Line is about the only position on the Jags that I could look at as an area of needed improvement. Balmer would fit in their scheme and go nicely next to John Henderson. If any of the top DE’s are left at this point, they could pull the trigger on any of them as well.
27. San Diego Chargers James Hardy WR, Indiana
Here’s another team that I just couldn’t point out any specific areas of need or improvement. So I decided they will keep wanting to load up on offensive talent to give weapons to Rivers, and the offensive minded Norv Turner.
28. Dallas Cowboys Jonathan Stewart RB, Oregon
At this point, this pick feels like a no brainer. Barber is their man now in Dallas, but he is having contract issues as well. And for as physical Barber plays, you need to have a solid backup or other guy ready to go if he gets injured.
29. San Fran 49ers Dan Connor ILB, Penn St.
Personally, I don’t like any direction the 49ers are going in, minus the personal favorite pick of Willis last season. While they should look to get Alex Smith some weapons, their defense is still a work in project, so if they can add a top MLB again to put in the middle of the 3-4 with Willis, that will only help solidify that defense even more.
30. Green Bay Packers Brian Brohm QB, Louisville
Before anyone says “what the heck”…I don’t believe the Packers will pick here. If Brohm goes earlier, someone will want to jump up to get Flacco. If Brohm is here, look for Thompson to trade out as well. Just knowing Ted Thompson, it’s the perfect situation for him. Drafting at the end of the round, move back a few picks into the 2nd round, add some picks this year and maybe a top pick next year as well. Ted Thompson special right here. If they do make a pick, I would say Sam Baker from USC, Aquib Talib from Kansas, Reggie Smith from Oklahoma, or a possible pass rushing DE.
31. New York Giants Aqib Talib CB, Kansas
The biggest hole I think people saw last year from the Giants was their Defensive backfield. I think they’ll want to add a top DB to start the day, and then add some offensive work later on, specifically WR, OL, and maybe TE if they move Shockey.

Bretsky
04-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if Talib was still there at #30 when Green Bay picks

ND72
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM

I honestly would be too....but it's just kind of how I worked it I guess. obviously not what's gonna for sure happen...BUT.

Bretsky
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

I honestly would be too....but it's just kind of how I worked it I guess. obviously not what's gonna for sure happen...BUT.

I wonder if Talib has fallen off some boards due to his admitting he was stoning it a few times in college ?

I really like him as a talent if the attitude is there

b bulldog
04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with your Brohm comments. I think TT will have a few trades scenarios if the QB is still on the board.

falco
04-20-2008, 06:06 PM
can you imagine what our cap room looks like if we don't have to sign anyone to a "1st round" contract this year?

there is a huge drop off from last pick of the first round to first pick of the 2nd round

red
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
can you imagine what our cap room looks like if we don't have to sign anyone to a "1st round" contract this year?

there is a huge drop off from last pick of the first round to first pick of the 2nd round

ummm, no there isn't

Lurker64
04-20-2008, 07:39 PM
ummm, no there isn't

There is a dropoff in the total value of the contract, since players drafted in the second round can be signed to contracts only as long as 4 years and players drafted in the first round can be signed to 5 year contracts. There's a similar shift at pick #17 in the first since players taken in the first 16 can be signed to 6 year deals.

Sometimes this factors into what a guy gets paid, but the yearly wage doesn't change a whole lot from 16 to 17 or from 32 to 33.

falco
04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
i stand corrected - i thought i had read that somewhere

falco
04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
maybe i was thinking guaranteed money - since the years drop down to 4, the amount of guaranteed money is going to drop proportionately as well

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm glad the disclaimer was added that we trade down rather than picking Brohm. Just the same, I don't think Thompson will trade down either.

This is a really tough one to predict. You take Thompson's trademark unpredictability; Add the fact that the Packers have no really pressing needs; Throw in a touch of shortage of outstanding offensive tackles and the fact that there is a strong chance the 3 or 4 elite Corners will be gone by our pick; Add the idea that picking a TE in the late first round just doesn't seem likely; And you have a real question mark.

It's easier to say what we really DON'T need. Quarterback early--although even that isn't unthinkable. Running Back seems extremely unlikely. It would be a good idea to get somebody better to rotate with Grant. However, I thnk it's a lot more likely Thompson finds a late round gem. Def.Line? Some think so. I like what we have there. LB? Again, not the kind of need to justify a first round pick.

I still think this might just be the year to break his own rule and trade up--possibly to get one of the 3 elite Corners--McKelvin, Rodgers-Cromartie, or Jenkins.

The way I see it, Talib is just a shade below those three, and then there is a significant drop-off. Given Talib's problems--and the fact that even he may be gone, I could see trading up.

Lurker64
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
As I understand it, I think the Packers are reported to have a first round on Cason so I don't think we'd trade up to get the last of McKelvin, Jenkins, and Rodgers-Cromartie if it looks like Cason will still be on the board. I think that Cason fits this scheme better than Talib does anyway.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Could happen, but I hope not. Cason is one of those I had in mind when I said "significant drop-off" after the top four Corners.

red
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
i was listening to something the other day that made a lot of good sence

theres a lot of good corners that come out of the second round. why do those guys slip to the second round? because of their speed. they don't put up the elite 40 numbers that others do, so they slide. these are guys that have proven they can playm yet they fall because they didn't test well

brandon flowers was considered by many to be the best CB in this draft BEFORE the combine.

guys like him could very well end up as the best CB's out of this draft when we look back at it in a few years

i was against flowers earlier, but the more i read and watch of him the more i like him. the guys all you could want in a cb

i would love for TT to draft him or maybe another corner that got a second round grade because he didn't time well

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
If you're talking second round, I'd probably agree with you, but first round? I hope it doesn't happen.

red
04-20-2008, 09:28 PM
If you're talking second round, I'd probably agree with you, but first round? I hope it doesn't happen.

LOL, we're picking second to last in the first round, its about as close to a second round pick as you can get

i don't care about reaching a couple spots. when you have no pressing needs you can reach to get the guys you really want

if flowers is still there when we pick, he won't last too much longer after our pick

and he's about a perfect fit at CB for us. the guy loves to get physical

Charles Woodson
04-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Very interesting mock, ND ill have mine up within the next few days

The Shadow
04-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Watched some film of Flowers.
Like him a lot.
Also think Baker seems a Mark Tauscher-type.
Could see him getting the nod, too.

ND72
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't care for Flowers. He's considered a "Cover 2" Corner. I have a recorded V-Tech game from last year (first game of the season) and the talked most of the game about how Flowers is not a good man 2 man corner, and needs to be in a cover 2 scheme like V-Tech would play, so he has safety help over top.

red
04-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't care for Flowers. He's considered a "Cover 2" Corner. I have a recorded V-Tech game from last year (first game of the season) and the talked most of the game about how Flowers is not a good man 2 man corner, and needs to be in a cover 2 scheme like V-Tech would play, so he has safety help over top.

it seems to me from looking at tons of mocks and reading a couple of mags that if a guy doesn't have 4.3 speed then the "experts" say he would have to be in a cover 2

flowers and cason both seem like guys that would be great for us, they both play like harris and woodson. they get up in the WR's grill right of the line and beat the hell out of them the whole route.

but i've seen that both are only cover 2 type corners

witch to me is BS