PDA

View Full Version : Henne #1 qb?!?

Partial
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Peter King mentioned in his article how several scouts he has talked to like Henne best out of any of the QBs in the draft. Interesting. He thinks someone will trade up into the low teens to grab him.

interesting stuff. I really like him and Brohm as high picks, and Ainge as a low round pick.

SkinBasket
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll be happy if any team other than GB takes Henne in the first round. It'll be like when the gym teacher made the team captains pick one of the retarded kids first for dodgeball. Well, kind of like that anyway, because they play football and not dodgeball.

Partial
04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
He's got a big arm, has the pedigree you look for, and has showed he can play and win the big game with an amazing performance against Florida in the bowl game.

He's decent.

Zool
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
So was Dan McGuire and Elvis Grbak. QB's are so overhyped it drives me crazy. Hell Grossman has a "big arm". Could just mean that he plays whack a mole more often than most guys.

The Leaper
04-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I actually like Henne. Most people underrate Big Ten QBs simply because their numbers aren't as gaudy as others who work in gimmick offenses that don't translate well to the NFL. Henne has the size and arm you are looking for in an NFL QB. I think he is one of the top 40 players in the draft...but top 20, I doubt it.

I'm not a fan of Ainge. The guy made tons of horrible throws in his career. I saw him firsthand against Wisconsin at the Outback Bowl in January...he wasn't impressive.

oregonpackfan
04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
He's got a big arm, has the pedigree you look for, and has showed he can play and win the big game with an amazing performance against Florida in the bowl game.

He's decent.

Henne does have many of the qualities you cite, Partial. One of his main weaknesses is his lack of elusiveness when confronted with a strong pass rush.

SkinBasket
04-21-2008, 10:02 AM

He's decent.

What pedigree is that? Did his parents have super powers I'm not aware of? Other than apparently randomly turning invisible?

He's also demonstrated he can lose the small games - Appalachian State small, and the big games like Ohio State where he was all of 11/34 for a whopping 68 yards with the same regularity he can play well against an over hyped Florida team.

I would think durability would be a concern as well given his constant injury status last season combined with his lack of elusiveness.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2008, 10:20 AM
4 years and I don't think he ever beat Ohio St, and got stoned in the Rose Bowl two times, looked really bad when playing against Southern Cal, couldn't handle the pressure.

red
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
4 years and I don't think he ever beat Ohio St, and got stoned in the Rose Bowl two times, looked really bad when playing against Southern Cal, couldn't handle the pressure.

and i know for a fact that many U of M fans in ann arbor hated him as QB

Carolina_Packer
04-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree, let him go to someone else. I don't see him as being a big deal in the NFL. I would prefer them go after a QB in the third. Perhaps someone like Josh Johnson who might even be there in the 4th or 5th. Just make sure it's an accuracy guy who can play WCO, and can ellude the rush a bit.

red
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I agree, let him go to someone else. I don't see him as being a big deal in the NFL. I would prefer them go after a QB in the third. Perhaps someone like Josh Johnson who might even be there in the 4th or 5th. Just make sure it's an accuracy guy who can play WCO, and can ellude the rush a bit.

yeah, why don't we hear more about johnson?

i don't care if he was playing against middle school kids last year

43 tds and 1 int is insane. it shows me he's smart with the ball but is still capable of making plays himself

Carolina_Packer
04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Someone who could develop behind Rodgers, but not someone who might be an immediate threat to him. Perhaps Craig Nall will be back as an insurance policy.

dissident94
04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
If Rodgers cannot take the competition and threat of another QB then in my opinion he cannot take the threat and competition of other NFL teams. This whole idea of just handing it to Rodgers and making sure he has no competition is a joke. Draft a QB with 1 of our first three picks. If he is better than Rodgers then after the year we will know which is best. We need to solidifyt he QB position now

The Leaper
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
He's also demonstrated he can lose the small games - Appalachian State small, and the big games like Ohio State where he was all of 11/34 for a whopping 68 yards with the same regularity he can play well against an over hyped Florida team.

Skin -

Please show me how Henne lost that App State game for Michigan. Was Henne somehow responsible for giving up 34 points and making Armanti Edwards look like John Elway? Did Henne choke when two field goals were blocked? Where was Henne playing on defense when they let App State move the ball 70 yards in a minute with no timeouts?

Henne's offense posted 480 yards of offense in that game. I don't see how Henne was primarily responsible for the loss.

Henne also wasn't the culprit in most of Michigan's losses in big games...in his four losses to OSU, he only threw 2 INTs. It was the defense that continually failed the Wolverines against the Buckeyes in recent years...not the offense. Michigan's offense was relatively prolific throughout Henne's career.

The only big game where I think Henne really choked was against ND in 2005. That was a major stinker for Henne.

Fritz
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM

I was not aware Henne had a drug problem. However, he is not terribly mobile - not even in evading the pass rush - and he does get nicked up and miss games.

I'd be okay with the Pack drafting him - if they didn't have to trade up. Not excited, but okay. He seems to me to be more likely to be the next Brian Griese than the next Tom Brady.

It wouldn't fire me up if they drafted him. I'd have to trust Ted on this one.

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Well said. Drafting any QB high up would be a mistake even if we needed one as a starter--which we clearly don't. Top college QBs don't correlate very well with becoming pro stars.

As for Henne, I've seen him play a helluva lot more bad games than good. I also don't care for Brohm. I hear good things about Flacco, but haven't seen him.

This Josh Johnson, or any of quite a few others who Thompson may decide on, would be worth getting in the 6th or 7th, maybe even 4th or 5th. If Nall goes elsewhere, we need somebody, although I still think an adequate backup will become available when final cuts are made.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I actually like Henne. Most people underrate Big Ten QBs simply because their numbers aren't as gaudy as others who work in gimmick offenses that don't translate well to the NFL. Henne has the size and arm you are looking for in an NFL QB. I think he is one of the top 40 players in the draft...but top 20, I doubt it.

I'm not a fan of Ainge. The guy made tons of horrible throws in his career. I saw him firsthand against Wisconsin at the Outback Bowl in January...he wasn't impressive.

See that's the problem with you big 10 fans, too many snap judgements, you see one game and Erik Ainge is horrible. In fact, against Wisconsin Ainge threw for 365 and 2 td's. Ainge also looked good against many of the top D's this year, including Georgia and LSU.

Must we forget how Colt Brennan looked against Georgia's D? Or how Ohio St. looked against LSU?

Ainge has a great arm and can make all the throws, he just makes bad decisions some games and will throw the costly pick(see LSU SEC title game).

If Ainge were to land in the right system with people helping him out I'm sure he could be a pretty decent NFL QB. As for Henne, he probably will be a good player, but unlinke Ainge, Henne tends to disappear from a game entirely, and that's a pretty bad trait IMO.

SkinBasket
04-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Henne's offense posted 480 yards of offense in that game. I don't see how Henne was primarily responsible for the loss.

Unfortunately, Henne can't take "his offense" with him when he's drafted. Henne was 19/37 for 233 with 1/1. Those numbers would be fine against OSU or another high caliber program on the road. Against a I-AA @ home, it's pretty damned anemic.

Henne also wasn't the culprit in most of Michigan's losses in big games...in his four losses to OSU, he only threw 2 INTs. It was the defense that continually failed the Wolverines against the Buckeyes in recent years...not the offense. Michigan's offense was relatively prolific throughout Henne's career.

Yeah. 11/34 for 68 yards wins a lot of games. Especially against OSU. It's great he didn't throw any INTs that game. It's just unfortunate he didn't throw a TD in 34 tries and averaged 2 yards per attempt. Seems UMs offense was "prolific" throughout Henne's career despite Henne's career.

The only big game where I think Henne really choked was against ND in 2005. That was a major stinker for Henne.

See above. Add powerhouse E. Mich, a 4-8 MAC team. 17/26 for 195 yards, 1TD 2INT.

Of course he might have had more opportunities to suck if he could have stayed on the field for more than half the quarters they played.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM

See that's the problem with you big 10 fans, too many snap judgements, you see one game and Erik Ainge is horrible. In fact, against Wisconsin Ainge threw for 365 and 2 td's. Ainge also looked good against many of the top D's this year, including Georgia and LSU.

Must we forget how Colt Brennan looked against Georgia's D? Or how Ohio St. looked against LSU?

Ainge has a great arm and can make all the throws, he just makes bad decisions some games and will throw the costly pick(see LSU SEC title game).

If Ainge were to land in the right system with people helping him out I'm sure he could be a pretty decent NFL QB. As for Henne, he probably will be a good player, but unlinke Ainge, Henne tends to disappear from a game entirely, and that's a pretty bad trait IMO.

Let's take off the orange colored glasses.

First, he is slow. He is EXTREMELY non-mobile. He had a very good line at Tenn...doubtfull he will ever have that good of a line in the pros. He is a statue waiting to get sacked. Because of that..you have to have a very conservative offense.

Second, he is way inconsistent. Consistency is the one thing you need outta a QB. Inconsistent in his play, inconsistent in his mechanics.

Third, he locks on to his primary receiver.

Fourth, throws very poorly on the run.

Ainge is the poor man's Drew Bledsoe.

That being said, if he was available in the 3rd..i'd take him.

The Leaper
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, Henne can't take "his offense" with him when he's drafted. Henne was 19/37 for 233 with 1/1. Those numbers would be fine against OSU or another high caliber program on the road. Against a I-AA @ home, it's pretty damned anemic.

It may be anemic by your standards. It hardly cost Michigan the game. 480 yards of total offense should be enough to win any game.

Yeah. 11/34 for 68 yards wins a lot of games. Especially against OSU. It's great he didn't throw any INTs that game. It's just unfortunate he didn't throw a TD in 34 tries and averaged 2 yards per attempt. Seems UMs offense was "prolific" throughout Henne's career despite Henne's career.

Henne isn't as prone to making a huge mistake...that's my point. In the NFL, that is paramount for QBs. That is why I would view Henne as a better prospect than Ainge...both are mediocre athletes at the next level, but at least Henne isn't as likely to make a boneheaded error. Only a few guys can sling it around like Favre and make up for their own errors...neither Henne or Ainge is one of them, so I'd take the guy less likely to screw up.

Of course he might have had more opportunities to suck if he could have stayed on the field for more than half the quarters they played.

I guess you hate Aaron Rodgers then. Henne was actually quite durable for Michigan. Yeah, he got beat up a little during 2007...and that impacted his ability to perform at a high level as well. He still was on the field almost all of the time during his college career.

I'm not trying to say Henne is the next superstar. I'm saying he is underrated because Michigan had a pathetic year as a team from top to bottom and Henne was less than 100% much of the year. Tough to make an adequate judgment based on those factors.

Expect NFL GMs to take his entire resume into account, not just 3 or 4 bad games.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Let's take off the orange colored glasses.

First, he is slow. He is EXTREMELY non-mobile. He had a very good line at Tenn...doubtfull he will ever have that good of a line in the pros. He is a statue waiting to get sacked. Because of that..you have to have a very conservative offense.

Second, he is way inconsistent. Consistency is the one thing you need outta a QB. Inconsistent in his play, inconsistent in his mechanics.

Third, he locks on to his primary receiver.

Fourth, throws very poorly on the run.

Ainge is the poor man's Drew Bledsoe.

That being said, if he was available in the 3rd..i'd take him.

You're assessment of Ainge is spot on, there were no rose-colored glasses on, I just thought the statement of horrible was exaggerated and offered points to counter that.

I for one do not want the Packers to draft Ainge, even though the Pack's pass protection was one of the best in the league last year(Favre Factor?).

His biggest negative is his inconsistency, he can look like a 1st rd. draft pick some games against a great d and then tail off and look completely awful against an average d the next.

Honestly, I think Henne and Ainge are pretty much the same qb.

SkinBasket
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
It may be anemic by your standards. It hardly cost Michigan the game. 480 yards of total offense should be enough to win any game.

Again, you're referring to the UM offense, not to Henne. A team isn't going to draft the UM offense with a first round pick. They're (supposedly) going to pick a QB who couldn't throw for more than 1 TD against a I-AA team to get them a victory at home. That's not the kind of performance I'm looking for for a first round selection in his last year.

Henne isn't as prone to making a huge mistake...that's my point. In the NFL, that is paramount for QBs. That is why I would view Henne as a better prospect than Ainge...both are mediocre athletes at the next level, but at least Henne isn't as likely to make a boneheaded error. Only a few guys can sling it around like Favre and make up for their own errors...neither Henne or Ainge is one of them, so I'd take the guy less likely to screw up.

You cannot just excuse an 11/34 68 yard performance as being cautious. Unless you're looking for Grossman 2.0, but I doubt many teams want that.

I guess you hate Aaron Rodgers then. Henne was actually quite durable for Michigan. Yeah, he got beat up a little during 2007...and that impacted his ability to perform at a high level as well. He still was on the field almost all of the time during his college career.

I'm not trying to say Henne is the next superstar. I'm saying he is underrated because Michigan had a pathetic year as a team from top to bottom and Henne was less than 100% much of the year. Tough to make an adequate judgment based on those factors.

Expect NFL GMs to take his entire resume into account, not just 3 or 4 bad games.

Why would I hate Rodgers?

I'm more concerned with who Henne is NOW, not who he's been throughout his college career. Who he is now is a guy who missed around half the snaps last year due to injury. The concerning part is that it wasn't just one injury, but a series of mild ones and re-aggravations. Combined with an inability to evade rushers, that becomes a valid concern.

I'm not sure how you feel Henne is underrated when there's talk of him being selected in the 1st round.

The problem with those 3-4 games is that constitutes half of his performances this last season. You can claim he didn't play up to ability due to injury, but then you have to consider he was injured. So either you have concerns about his durability or his consistency depending on how much you believe those injuries effected his play.

ND72
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I'll be happy if any team other than GB takes Henne in the first round. It'll be like when the gym teacher made the team captains pick one of the retarded kids first for dodgeball. Well, kind of like that anyway, because they play football and not dodgeball.

I make the special ed kids the captain in my PE class.