PDA

View Full Version : Why is being a rat a compliment?

Guiness
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok - here's an offbeat question to break the drudgery of the draft speculation (who cares? TT won't do anything we want or expect anyways is the best comment I've seen...)

I was chatting with a friend and reading PR, and right after I took a shot at the Habs (Montreal Canadians) who are in the process of an epic playoff meltdown, they said

And how are the rats?
which she thought was a burn...I replied

problem being - that's a compliment!
because I consider it one!

So they wanted to know why that's a compliment? So, tell me all, why is it?

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Its not a some time thing, its not a maybe, being a rat is a way of life, you can't get away from it.

MJZiggy
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Because the Rats are the best of the most knowledgeable fans, dear. That's why.

sheepshead
04-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Rats a good question...

packinpatland
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Because the Rats are the best of the most knowledgeable fans, dear. That's why.

I will never claim to be the 'most knowledgeable'......but I know that I'm part of the best fans!

Scott Campbell
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
So they wanted to know why that's a compliment? So, tell me all, why is it?

Its really not a compliment. Were a horrific bunch of misfits.

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2008, 05:48 PM
http://images.motortrend.com/classic/c12_0603_13z+the_rat_pack+martin_davis_sinatra.jpg

It doesn't get any cooler than the rat pack.

sheepshead
04-21-2008, 06:22 PM
http://sensoryoverload.typepad.com/sensory_overload/images/all_misfit_toys_welcome_here.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-21-2008, 07:04 PM
http://images.motortrend.com/classic/c12_0603_13z+the_rat_pack+martin_davis_sinatra.jpg

I think you give off more of that Mel Torme kind of vibe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/360000/images/_361952_torme300.jpg

Kiwon
04-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Being a Packer Rat is a compliment because we are being "progressive" and displaying unique cultural sensitivities towards Asians, especially the Chinese.

2008 is the "Year of the Rat" according to the traditional Chinese calendar.

Also, since the 2008 Summer Olympics is China's coming out party we are demonstrating that even coarse-joking, beer-swilling American football fans are sophisticated enough to recognize and respectfully acknowledge the world's newest superpower early on.

The fact that it all occurred as a coincidence, well, that can be attributed to dumb luck. :)

MadtownPacker
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
2008 is the "Year of the Rat" according to the traditional Chinese calendar.Interesting.

If you are looking for someone to blame the answer is HERE (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6)

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM

Too many reasons why being a PackerRat is a compliment. yet a few I feel below:

Because we get to hang with cool fella's like HarlanH and many other's, of course none cooler than the "H" man. :D

I think it's great to be a Rat, because this is our Packer forum, "OUR HOME" to get all the great inside stuff. It's generally all here. To hang with and learn from the best and some of the most knowledgeable NFL fans on the net.

Yea Eh? PackerRats. :)

It's also a cool place to play FF and Pro Pick'Em and other special events that people like Grnbay007 dream up and put so much into.

Reading the articles from OUR home page are extra special. Too many really knowledgeable and good writers to mention. ( Thanks MJ ) All PackerRat features. OUR people.

I'm aware if your not? That we have some of the best result analyists on the net here. People like Fosco33,KyPack,Harvey,Motife,Vince and Deputy Nutz. Again I have left Rats out that also write excellent pieces.

We have women and men Packer fans here. Something we respect.

I love my Packer HOME. :) I'm grateful to all that have made this such a special place to come to.

PACKERRATS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
2008 is the "Year of the Rat" according to the traditional Chinese calendar.Interesting.

If you are looking for someone to blame the answer is HERE (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6)

Who DAT GUY. :)

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
" I was chatting with a friend and reading PR, and right after I took a shot at the Habs (Montreal Canadians) who are in the process of an epic playoff meltdown. . . " Guiness

Hey Eh? Guiness.

The meltdown is over! 5-0 HABS!! Yeeaaaa!!

Saw a lot of Hab GREATS at the game including my boyhood hero. The BIG 'M', Frank Mahovlich.

Of course Le Gros Jean, Jean Beleveau was there as well.

The HABS ( Montreal Canadians) are back!!

Packers Forever!

KYPack
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Buck, I'd think you'd have to include Maurice "Rocket" Richard in that post someplace.

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Buck, I'd think you'd have to include Maurice "Rocket" Richard in that post someplace.

Just one problem KY. The Rocket couldn't attend the game tonight except "in spirit":

Joseph Henri Maurice "Rocket" Richard

PC, OC, OQ (Born August 4, 1921 –Died May 27, 2000)

Was a professional ice hockey player who played for the Montreal Canadiens from 1942 to 1960. The "Rocket" was the most prolific goal-scorer of his era, the first to achieve the feat of 50 goals in 50 games. He lived most of his life in Ahuntsic, Montreal.[1]

Maurice Richard was the first to score 50 goals in one season (the 1944-45 NHL season), doing so in 50 games, and the first to score 500 goals in a career. He finished his career with 544 goals in the regular season, with 82 in the playoffs which included a record six overtime winners (surpassed only by Joe Sakic who has 8), and led the league in goals five times. He also amassed 421 assists for a total of 965 points in 978 games.

Richard played on eight Stanley Cup teams in Montreal, was captain of 5 straight from 1956-60, won the Hart Trophy in 1947, and was elected eight times to the first all-star team and six times to the second all-star team, and played in every National Hockey League All-Star Game from 1947 to 1959. Teamed with Elmer Lach as centre and Hector 'Toe' Blake playing left-wing, they formed the "Punch Line".

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961, the customary three-year waiting period being waived in his honour

GO HABS GO !

Guiness
04-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Ah yes, the great Maurice and his stick swinging antics (later duplicated by a very similar player, Mark Messier) are gone. Henri is still with us though.

Congratulations on Les Habitants making it through the first round, although it took more work than it should've. I hope they can more shorter work of their next opponent, and move on to the conference finals!

woodbuck27
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Ah yes, the great Maurice and his stick swinging antics (later duplicated by a very similar player, Mark Messier) are gone. Henri is still with us though.

Congratulations on Les Habitants making it through the first round, although it took more work than it should've. I hope they can more shorter work of their next opponent, and move on to the conference finals!

I was concerned Guiness, but ( ** below ).

Here's the story fr. The Habs official Website Guiness and all: :D

Habs oust Bruins

MONTREAL (AP) - Carey Price put a couple of tough losses behind him to save the Montreal Canadiens' playoff run and dash the Boston Bruins' hopes of an improbable comeback.

Price got his second shutout and Andrei Kostitsyn scored twice to lead Montreal to a 5-0 win over Boston on Monday night in the deciding game of their first-round playoff series.

The 20-year-old rookie stopped 25 shots overall, including 11 shots in the opening period. Price had allowed 10 goals overall in a pair of Canadiens losses after he got his first playoff shutout in a 1-0 win in Game 4.

"It was a rough couple of games and we knew it just wasn't going our way," Price said.

"I knew it was going to turn around eventually, and tonight it did."

Mike Komisarek opened the scoring 3:31 in ,amid one of the first of countless roars from the raucous Bell Centre crowd over the course of the evening.

The Canadiens took control of the game in the second, outshooting the Bruins 17-6 while building a three-goal lead on a superb goal by Mark Streit midway through the period and Kostitsyn's second goal of the series at 15:13.

Kostitsyn punctuated the win with his second of the game, a power-play goal with 2:02 remaining in the third. Sergei Kostitsyn scored with 7.3 seconds remaining.

Top-seeded Montreal will face Philadelphia in the second round, if the Flyers win their Eastern Conference quarterfinal against Washington. Otherwise, the Canadiens will face the New York Rangers.

Tim Thomas stopped 30 shots for Boston, which fell short in its bid to overcome both 2-0 and 3-1 series deficits for the first time in team history.

"The character of this team can't be overemphasized, I don't think, for what we battled through all year and even in this seven-game series," Thomas said.

Bruins coach Claude Julien was behind the Canadiens' bench in 2004 when Montreal won three straight to overcome a 3-1 deficit in a first-round win over Boston.

"You've got to give them credit," said Alex Kovalev, who assisted on the Canadiens' first two goals.

"They battled back and even down 3-1 and coming back to our building they were able to regroup and get a couple of wins, but the mistakes we made, we didn't compete like we did today. If we had played the way we played tonight I think we could have done it earlier."

Montreal coach Guy Carbonneau moved Kovalev to a line with Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins.

The move allowed rookie Sergei Kostitsyn to play on another line alongside his brother, Andrei, and center Tomas Plekanec as Carbonneau spread out the Canadiens' offense.

"We were trying to give some space to them, to be able to move around and control the puck," Kovalev said.

Komisarek got credit for his first career playoff goal as his point shot struck Bruins center Petteri Nokelainen's stick, causing a deflection that left Thomas no chance to recover and stop.

Streit made it a 2-0 lead 10:45 into the second as he slipped past Bruins captain Zdeno Chara to finish off a sensational passing play. Kovalev passed the puck back to Komisarek in the Canadiens' zone and waited on the right boards at center ice for the return pass.

The high-scoring Russian fed a cross ice pass to Maxim Lapierre as the Canadiens center entered the Bruins zone, and Lapierre dished off to Streit, who pushed the puck past Chara before driving the net to put a backhand between Thomas' pads for his first playoff goal.

"My mouth was wide open seeing that goal," Komisarek said.

"The patience and poise that he had with the puck, and to bury it was pretty special."

Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn combined to increase the lead to three as Andrei beat Thomas at 15:13 for his second of the series, and first since Game 1.

Notes: Veteran Boston RW Glen Murray fell awkwardly into the boards after he was checked by Roman Hamrlik in the first period. A Bruins team spokesman said prior to the second period that Murray suffered a mid-torso injury and that he would not return to the game. ...

Carbonneau used the same lineup as he did in Game 6. ...

Montreal has never lost a series after leading 3-1.

Associated Press Three star selections:

1st: CAREY PRICE
2nd: ALEX KOVALEV
3rd: STEVE BEGIN

Winning Goaltender:
Carey Price

Losing Goaltender:
Tim Thomas

GO HABS GO !