PDA

View Full Version : My Packer's Mock Draft

chain_gang
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Alright here it is, it won't be right(obviously), but I love doing these Mocks.

Round 1

- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

While Safety is not the biggest need, I can't see taking a #5 rated corner, or #4 rated lineman, over the number 1 rated safety in the draft, if he is available. Phillips may have had a down year this past season, but so did the whole Hurricane team. He has everything you look for in a safety, and Ed Reed playmaking ability, and is also a film junkie. Improves our last line of defense immensely. Very experienced.

Round 2

2A - Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas

Let's face it Clifton and Tauscher aren't going to be around forever. Anthony Collins is one of the most athletic tackles in the draft. He can block out in space, and he's a very physical blocker with a mean streak. He can play either RT or LT, though he's better suited for RT. Should provide quality depth his first year, and be a longtime starter beginning in year 2.

2B- Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa

I love the potential in this kid. He is physical, has near perfect size(6'0 207), and can run. Still learning the position though, and will have some growing pains. Learning behind Woodson and Harris will do wonders for him. His style reminds me of a younger Mike Mckenzie, with a little more speed.

Round 3

Eric Young, OG, Tennessee

Would be the second guard off the board if not for injury concerns, should challenge for playing time right away. Has played all of the positions along the offensive line, valuable in case of injury. Nasty player who will try to maul opposing players.

Round 4

4A- Kellen Davis, TE, Michigan St

I really think that top 5-6 TE's in this draft are interchangeable, but I think this guy will be a very good player at the next level. 6-6 255 that can run a 4.6. Had a pretty good year last year, and would have been more productive in previous college seasons if their TE would have been implemented more into the passing game. He's a good replacement for Bubba Franks because he's a very good and willing blocker. Great Redzone threat and will win most jump balls. May turn out to be the best TE in this Draft, and is the most complete TE in this draft easily.

4B- Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

From what I've read he sounds like an ideal QB for the west coast offense, good decision maker, good arm, and can run. I think it's also an ideal fit for the ZBS. I remember what Vick helped turn it into in Atlanta, by being able to run. I like drafting Johnson here because we do need a QB to develop, we don't need a lot of pressure on Rodgers to perform this year, and McCarthy could do wonders with a player of JJ's ability. Think of Aaron Brooks with more instincts and smarts.

Round 5

Al Phillips, CB, Wagner

While not playing against top competition in college, he was a playmaker. He had 17 career Int's during his college career, could also help our special teams, averaging 11.2 yds a punt return, and 27.6 on kickoff returns. Decent size, 5'11 195, and has great leaping ability. Could be a good development project, and if nothing else give us a solid Kickoff returner for a few seasons.

Round 7

Trevor Scott, DE, Buffalo

I like Scott here, and hopefully he stays here. He's a big time project, with a boatload of potential. He's still learning the defensive end position after playing TE his first 3 years at Buffalo. He has good height 6'5, but needs to add at least 10-15lbs(255 right now). In his first year playing DE he had 9 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss. His pro day numbers were crazy, 4.54 40 yd dash, 4.19 shuttle, 33.5 inch vertical, and put up 32 reps at 225. In my opinion he's worth taking for the TE spot, but I'd like to see him at DE.

There it is, like I said, it doesn't matter they're all more than likely wrong, but with all the research that I've done this is the type of draft outline I'd hope for. I think there will be trades, but I didn't want to factor in any trades into this mock, so it was all straight up. Hope you enjoyed.

cheesner
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I would like this. Of course this means TT's draft will look completely different and he will draft at least 1 guy I never heard of with one of the first 3 picks.

ND72
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I would like this. Of course this means TT's draft will look completely different and he will draft at least 1 guy I never heard of with one of the first 3 picks.

yeah, we're missing the random John Doe from Western New Mexico State Medical School of Engineering.

Pack-man
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Really doubt if Phillips will still be on the board when GB picks. If so he'd be a really good pick!

DonHutson
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Johnson and Godfrey are guys that cought my attention as well.

I've been trying to figure out a Packer mock draft, but I have a feeling very few of our picks will happen where scheduled. To me it seems like the players ranked from around #25 to around #125 are almost interchangeable this year. Smart money would be to wheel and deal for as many 2nd through 4th rounders as possible.

While the Packers have a roster that suggests quality would be more desirable than quantity, I don't see anyone (even at the top of the draft) that I could bank on with a lot of confidence. The key to quality in this draft will be quantity. The solution to pollution is dilution. They need to dilute the busts with more picks.

red
04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
out a Packer mock draft, but I have a feeling very few of our picks will happen where scheduled. To me it seems like the players ranked from around #25 to around #125 are almost interchangeable this year. Smart money would be to wheel and deal for as many 2nd through 4th rounders as possible.

thats exactly how i feel

the only problem with trading down is, will everyone else be thinking the same way? will anyone want to trade up?

i think a team would really have to be in love with a guy to jump up and grab him.

or if a top notch prospect starts to fall because of some concerns, then you might see someone get antsy and try and move up. like say glen dorsey gets drunk the night before the draft and guys on a godzilla like rampage in NYC and slips to the second. then i think you'd see some movement

another thing to look for are the teams that don't have a lot of picks, or none like the browns, maybe trying to trade next years picks for this year

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I like this mock draft A LOT BETTER than most others I've seen.

The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is Phillips in the first round instead of trading up to get an elite Corner. I do like the idea of Phillips, though, to some extent. Like chain gang said, he would probably be a lot better than some Corner other than the top 3 or 4. Godfrey seems to me to have more potential than Cason, Flowers, Lee, etc.

I also really like Kellen Davis, and basically everybody else sounds like very good prospects.

Thompson probably won't take any of them, and will still come out smelling like a rose.

MadtownPacker
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
This draft is good. Too good. It fills every need. It does have a Thompson fell to it though.

DonHutson
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
the only problem with trading down is, will everyone else be thinking the same way? will anyone want to trade up?

If you ask teams today if they plan on moving up (or down) in those rounds they'll probably say "We always keep our options open, but most likely we'll stay where we are" just like Ted said. But then the weekend rolls around and there's a run at a certain position, or as you said, someone starts to drop, and things start to happen. Then the shrewd start to take advantage of the panicky.

The trades high in the first are less likely now with the money involved and the cost in picks, but when you get to the 2nd or 3rd and it only costs a 4th to move up, well, some GM's know 4th rounders are valuable and some don't.

Starting with 6 picks in the first four rounds, I have little doubt Ted could trade down twice and get up to 8.

another thing to look for are the teams that don't have a lot of picks, or none like the browns, maybe trying to trade next years picks for this year.

The I can't pay my credit card bill so I'll take out a new card and transfer the balance approach. That could absolutely happen, but this is a good example of why some teams always seem to suck.

b bulldog
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Good job, I like Davis very much. The guy is chisseled and has good hands.

Bretsky
04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Chaingang,

Where the heck have you been ? Nice seeing you and good job

Is the MSU Tight End going to last that long ? He's be a nice fit in Green n Gold

Bretsky
04-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm a Philips fan as well