PDA

View Full Version : Question shocks draft prospect

GrnBay007
04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
NFL Teams Ask Draft Prospect: 'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

by Michael David Smith

Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo will be a first- or second-round draft pick on Saturday, and before NFL teams spend first- or second-round draft picks on players, they like to get an idea of what kind of person they're adding to their roster.

But while due diligence is understandable, this question seems a bit excessive:

"They said 'When's the last time you cheated on your girlfriend?' " Mayo said. "They didn't even ask me, 'Did you cheat on your girlfriend?' I told them I didn't cheat on my girlfriend."

Mayo didn't say which team asked him that question, but at some point you have to wonder whether the questions cross the line from legitimate efforts to get to know a player into pure nosiness. Questions regarding sex, gender, sexual orientation and marital status are almost always considered inappropriate and are in some cases illegal in job interviews, and NFL teams need to remember that a job interview is exactly what they're conducting when they talk to draft prospects.

ND72
04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
They were talking about this on NFL Network radio. They said EVERY agent is told a line of questions that could be asked, and non of them are "did you ever smoke weed?"...they are all "so when is the last time you smoked weed?". They do it to try to catch the player off guard. They also said they got the questions or line of questions from Donald Trumpf who does the same thing to anyone he is interviewing for potential jobs.

I have no problem with it.

Partial
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't have a problem with it either. It's an excellent judge of character imo.

red
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
i was taken back a bit when i first looked at that, but after it sank in, i like it

if a guy can't be loyal to the one he's closest to, then have can he be loyal to a team?

as to the way it was asked, i have no problem with that either. its pretty clever

Partial
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I think it shows how much they like football, or how much the like the baller lifestyle personally.

GrnBay007
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm sure the reaction to the question tells a lot in itself.

red
04-21-2008, 10:29 PM

like if the guy starts sweating and yelling at the scouts its probably a sign that they shouldn't draft him?

GrnBay007
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM

like if the guy starts sweating and yelling at the scouts its probably a sign that they shouldn't draft him?

Yeah...something like that. Or like if he'd say something like woman are only capable of doing simple tasks = no draft. :P

Bretsky
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I think Mayo will be a very very good football player. Some still have him slipping til the end of round one; he will be too good to pass up IMO if he's there. Playmaker

red
04-21-2008, 10:59 PM
i would think that saying something like that would improve their draft stock by showing that manly high IQ

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't have a problem with it either. It's an excellent judge of character imo.

Saintly Rat. :D

and YES but. . .

An inappropriate question. No questions should be asked RE: Religion, Politics or Sex related. These sort of questions are often asked by people for biased Power Groups that harbour strong prejudices, thus discimminatory in nature.

They also bring out the smart a$$ in the respnder more often than not rather than the "sorry Bud, wrong question for me" response.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

Which one?

GrnBay007
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
'When's the Last Time You Cheated on Your Girlfriend?'

Which one?

:lol: :lol:

run pMc
04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Aside from it being illegal, if I were asked that question in a job interview I'd be very insulted. I'd also reconsider wanting to work for a place that assumed the worst of me. I have nothing to hide, but I wonder how the interviewer would feel if I asked them the same question, or some other question that crosses a line. There are other, more legal and less insulting ways to catch a person off guard in an interview.

If Donald Trump was asking that question to job candidates, he'd be getting sued left and right.

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
What ever happened to freedom of speech?

I wouldn't exactly even call this a "job interview". Even if it is, no question shouldn't be illegal or off limits anytime. The person can simply choose not to answer--or lie.

If in fact, a law has somehow been slipped through abridging free speech to ask such a question, it's a sad and bad thing.

LL2
04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Perhaps they should have players do some type of Truth or Dare gameshow format. I'm sure the ratings would be good.

KYPack
04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
We've got quite a few posters who have been in a corporate environment. In a basic interview, questions about sex, sexual preference, religion, age, and all kinds of other shit are strictly verboten and can get your company sued like crazy if asked.

I also have personal knowlege of all kinds of stuff that's illegal to ask candidate actually asked in informal interviews when execs are down to the final two, or whatever.

It's a wierd world, but these questions this kid was asked are way over the line.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I would have politely told that the interview was finished and walked out. I don't need that shit, there are 31 other teams out there, I will take my chances. I would have a hard time going through the combine and the whole draft process, hell I don't think the CIA screens as in depth as NFL GMs.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
NFL GM: "When was the last time you cheated on your girlfriend?"

Player: "A week ago, with your wife."

sheepshead
04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
He's 22 years old--who cares!?? Too young to settle down anyway, besides, I dont necessarily want a boyscout as a linebacker.

KYPack
04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh, yeah.

I think "with your mom" would be totally appropriate response to an asshole question like that.

SkinBasket
04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't forget all the hoopla about teams hiring PIs to follow these guys. Could be the team knew something he didn't think they knew about what he was doing last week.

Partial
04-22-2008, 11:04 AM
He's 22 years old--who cares!?? Too young to settle down anyway, besides, I dont necessarily want a boyscout as a linebacker.

It reflects on their priorities in life. If I was GM, I would steer clear of this player. You think AJ Hawk is out doing this stuff? What about Kampman? Favre managed to pull it off because he is a once in a lifetime type guy. I would steer clear of these types of character.

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
I guess they should start removing a bunch of current and future hall-of-famers for cheating on their girlfriends back in college.

Guiness
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh, yeah.

I think "with your mom" would be totally appropriate response to an asshole question like that.

While you'd be patting yourself on the back for years for coming up with that on the spot, it would likely cost you several million dollars.

Face it - it's an altered reality these guys are dealing with. Although I've walked out of an interview (with Honda) because I felt insulted, there were a lot of fish in the sea...not just 32.

Partial
04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I guess they should start removing a bunch of current and future hall-of-famers for cheating on their girlfriends back in college.

I think we can all agree that it is a different era where there is for more things an athlete can partake in to ruin his/her or their respective team's image.

The Leaper
04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Face it - it's an altered reality these guys are dealing with. Although I've walked out of an interview (with Honda) because I felt insulted, there were a lot of fish in the sea...not just 32.

And Honda probably wasn't about to offer you a seven figure check to sign on either.

The question is more about stimulating a response and judging the character and intelligence of the player from that response. I don't really think any teams consider cheating on a girlfriend as a reason to take someone off a draft board.

Patler
04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Questions like that are asked not so much for the answer, but for how the respondent handles the questions. These are not simple employer/employee situations. I suspect that potential first and second round picks were asked different questions than guys who had no chance of being selected on the first day. I doubt that the team who asked cared one bit about whether or not he had cheated on his girlfriend. They were most interested in his reaction.

The clubs are looking at investing millions and sometimes tens of millions of dollars in these people. The first round picks are subjected to immediate media scrutiny and interrogations. The media may ask questions just as bad, or worse depending on the team he goes to. An interview like that can prepare the player as much as inform the team about how he will handle those types of situations.

If that question bothered him a lot, he better hope that he isn't drafted by the Giants, Jets, Eagles or a number of other locations where the press is much more ruthless than what we are accustomed to at Packer press conferences.

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I think we can all agree that it is a different era where there is for more things an athlete can partake in to ruin his/her or their respective team's image.

Yeah, there are so many stories breaking about athletes cheating on there college girl/boyfriends. You are right, that must be a crucial factor in his/her respective team's image. :roll:

Don't generalize the issue to try and support the specific facts here.

I think most of us can agree that for a person we know only through television, their girlfriend situation really isn't our business. If you disagree, there are plenty of gossip magazines you can turn to. :)

MadtownPacker
04-22-2008, 11:27 AM

I think we can all agree that it is a different era where there is for more things an athlete can partake in to ruin his/her or their respective team's image.Yeah I can agree with that.

But this question in itself is bullshit. When was the last time a player got suspended for cheating on his wife? The questions about drugs and violence are legit. Those things will affect the team. Maybe this question says a lot about character but I wouldn't answer it regardless of was I was doing.

I have no problem with how they phrase the questions. IF you give a stupid answer that is on your dumbass.

MadtownPacker
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I doubt that the team who asked cared one bit about whether or not he had cheated on his girlfriend. They were most interested in his reaction.That's it right there. They just want to see the reaction. The answer don't matter.

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Questions like that are asked not so much for the answer, but for how the respondent handles the questions. These are not simple employer/employee situations. I suspect that potential first and second round picks were asked different questions than guys who had no chance of being selected on the first day. I doubt that the team who asked cared one bit about whether or not he had cheated on his girlfriend. They were most interested in his reaction.

Maybe...or maybe not. Why bother raising the question as to whether you did or not? If it was only about a reaction, I would think that they could be more intelligent in their questioning than that. I think that they should be able to get a similar read without risk of alienating a player they are interested in.

It's not a big deal, but it just seems unnecessary, and we don't have a lot else to discuss right now.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, there are so many stories breaking about athletes cheating on there college girl/boyfriends. You are right, that must be a crucial factor in his/her respective team's image. :roll:

I think most of us can agree that for a person we know only through television, their girlfriend situation really isn't our business. If you disagree, there are plenty of gossip magazines you can turn to. :)

I don't think that's the point. I think Patler is spot on in his post.

sheepshead
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM

I think we can all agree that it is a different era where there is for more things an athlete can partake in to ruin his/her or their respective team's image.Yeah I can agree with that.

But this question in itself is bullshit. When was the last time a player got suspended for cheating on his wife? The questions about drugs and violence are legit. Those things will affect the team. Maybe this question says a lot about character but I wouldn't answer it regardless of was I was doing.

I have no problem with how they phrase the questions. IF you give a stupid answer that is on your dumbass.

Cheating on your WIFE is a whole different ball of snakes all together. Come on girlfriends at 22? Most guys have several. How do we know the level of commitment between these two to begin with? Favre was different, he was older and had a child at the time and a relationship. I'd tell the guy that my social life is non of your business. My family life however is different and if he breaks those vows then i would agree it's an issue.

ND72
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I would have politely told that the interview was finished and walked out. I don't need that shit, there are 31 other teams out there, I will take my chances. I would have a hard time going through the combine and the whole draft process, hell I don't think the CIA screens as in depth as NFL GMs.

from what they said on the NFL Network, ALL 32 teams have gone to this form of interviewing.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I find this question disturbingly sexist.

What about all the gay football players. What about their boyfriends and if they've cheated on them.

Don't they deserve a chance to show their reaction.

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think that's the point. I think Patler is spot on in his post.

My point was that the team image wasn't the reason behind the questions, and I agree with Patler's post. I'm just not sold that it is necessary or a smart thing to do.

Partial
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Don't generalize the issue to try and support the specific facts here.

If they have such little respect for their significant other what makes you think they'd respect the organization, owner or teammates any more?

I agree its none of our business, but people that do these kind of things are shady, gutless cowards. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone who I wasn't positive was an excellent individual in and out of the workplace for 50 grand let alone as high as 57 million over 5 years.

Zool
04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Thats a mighty high horse you got there P.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
this has got to be one of the dumbest things yet from partial.

If you dont' think pro athletes cheat ALL THE TIME on their girlfriends/wives....i've got some prime waterfront property in Scottsdale to sell you.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2008, 03:08 PM

If you dont' think pro athletes cheat ALL THE TIME on their girlfriends/wives....i've got some prime waterfront property in Scottsdale to sell you.

What part of Scottsdale?

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
If they have such little respect for their significant other what makes you think they'd respect the organization, owner or teammates any more?

I agree its none of our business, but people that do these kind of things are shady, gutless cowards. I certainly wouldn't hire anyone who I wasn't positive was an excellent individual in and out of the workplace for 50 grand let alone as high as 57 million over 5 years.

What makes you think that you know anything about their specific situation? Make makes you think that you can judge someone's comittment to their team and their sport based upon their personal relationships in college?

You admitted that would not hire a person who is most capable for the job because they didn't live up to your personal standards of an "excellent individual." Talk about handicapping yourself. Where would the Packers be had they followed your model? They certainly wouldn't have traded a first rounder for a hard-partying guy name Favre.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 03:32 PM

What part of Scottsdale?

Old town..on the canal. Property is hot. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 03:33 PM

What makes you think that you know anything about their specific situation? Make makes you think that you can judge someone's comittment to their team and their sport based upon their personal relationships in college?

You admitted that would not hire a person who is most capable for the job because they didn't live up to your personal standards of an "excellent individual." Talk about handicapping yourself. Where would the Packers be had they followed your model? They certainly wouldn't have traded a first rounder for a hard-partying guy name Favre.

I've heard from those in the know..that Favre was harldly saintly when he was with deanna.