PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT DAY CONFESSIONALS FROM A PAST DRAFT FANATIC

Bretsky
04-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I began watching the draft in the early 80's at a time when the NFL Draft was actually during the week. I stuck a deal with my parents that as long as I made a certain GPA and honor roll I could cut a day of school. All of my friends joked as I was absent on Day one of the NFL Draft.

Each year as a draft fanatic I would hang my hopes that Green Bay would draft my guy. I was wrong a lot more than I was right......but the vivid memories remain of the highs and lows of the past 20 years.

I'm making a half ass effort this year to not be as draft involved and instead focus on some of the more meaningful things in life. Before giving up the fanatic in me, I decided to take a look back at the drafts I had strong views in and post my hopes and wishes. Some can probably relate to this; some will think I am nuts.

What I find out is I was wrong a heck of a lot more than I was right

1985- I wanted Al Toon. Green Bay Drafted Ken Ruettgers
1987- I wanted Brent Fullwood- Green Bay drafted Brent Fullwood
1988- I wanted Sterling Sharpe- Green Bay drafted Sterling Sharpe
1989- I wanted Derrick Thomas- Green Bay drated Tony Mandarich
1990- I wanted Rodney Hampton- Green Bay drafted Derrick Thompson
1992- I wanted Troy Vincent- We drafted Terrell Buckley
1993- I wanted Wayne Simmons- We drafted Wayne Simmons
1995- I wanted Cory Raymer- We drafted Craig Newsome
1996- I wanted LeeLand Macelroy- We drafted John Michels
1998- I wanted Donavan Darius- We drafted Vonnie Holiday
1999- I wanted Andy Katzemoyer- We drafted Antwan Edwards
2000- I wanted Keith Bulluck- We drafted Bubba Franks
2001- I wanted Dan Morgan- We drafted Jamal Reynolds
2001 -I wanted Chris Chambers- We drafted Robert Da Fraud Ferguson
2002- I wanted Napolean Harris- We drafted Javon Walker
2003- I wanted EJ Henderson- We drafted Nick Barnett
2004- I wanted Chris Gamble- We drafted Ahman Carroll
2005- I wanted Odell Thurman- We drafted Aaron Rodgers
2006- I wanted AJ Hawk- We drafted AJ Hawk
2007- I wanted Robert Meachem- We drafted Justin Harrell

red
04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
i think hawk has been the only one that i wanted that we actually got

but that was about as close to a no brainer as you can get

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
1987- I wanted Brent Fullwood- Green Bay drafted Brent Fullwood (OK)
1988- I wanted Sterling Sharpe- Green Bay drafted Sterling Sharpe **
1989- I wanted Derrick Thomas- Green Bay drated Tony Mandarich (!*??!#*! = DISASTER)
1990- I wanted Rodney Hampton- Green Bay drafted Derrick Thompson
1992- I wanted Troy Vincent- We drafted Terrell Buckley (OK)
1993- I wanted Wayne Simmons- We drafted Wayne Simmons **
1995- I wanted Cory Raymer- We drafted Craig Newsome (OK)
1996- I wanted LeeLand Macelroy- We drafted John Michels
1998- I wanted Donavan Darius- We drafted Vonnie Holiday (OK)
1999- I wanted Andy Katzemoyer- We drafted Antwan Edwards
2000- I wanted Keith Bulluck- We drafted Bubba Franks ( My pick too)
2001- I wanted Dan Morgan- We drafted Jamal Reynolds
(Ouch !! Who knew)
2001 -I wanted Chris Chambers- We drafted Robert Da Fraud Ferguson
He was ruined by "a Flying Darius "
2002- I wanted Napolean Harris- We drafted Javon Walker ( Oh well, we saw the potential )
2003- I wanted EJ Henderson- We drafted Nick Barnett (OK)
2004- I wanted Chris Gamble- We drafted Ahman Carroll ( Duhhh was anyone else surprized at that pick?)
2005- I wanted Odell Thurman- We drafted Aaron Rodgers (Our starting QB)
2006- I wanted AJ Hawk- We drafted AJ Hawk ( Hoping for more)
2007- I wanted Robert Meachem- We drafted Justin Harrell (Here's hoping for something )

** Nice picks Bretsky.

PACKERS FOREVER!

digitaldean
04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Nice list, B.

I still remember the mass hysteria at my buddy's apartment when Troy Vincent was skipped for T-BUCK.

I still have the hole in my hole when I punched it when Chambers got passed for the DA FRAUD. :wink:

Bretsky
04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Nice list, B.

I still remember the mass hysteria at my buddy's apartment when Troy Vincent was skipped for T-BUCK.

I still have the hole in my hole when I punched it when Chambers got passed for the DA FRAUD. :wink:

Yes, when Chambers was passed up the profanities and things thrown were at an all time high. When considering everything and all the time they had to scout him to me that still remains the most stupid move by Green Bay that I have witnessed. It was just too EZ

woodbuck27
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
The Ahman Carroll pick in 2004 left me a littl flat.I was shocked that TT picked Aaron Rodgers when we needed help on the OL.

I was bombed out by TT's pick last year of Justin Harrell. I absolutely havn't a clue what will go down in the early rounds next Saturday.More surprizes I expect, but TT has good options.

I'm still optimistic we'll be stronger (Our future) at the end of the weekend. I'm pulling for TT.

PACKERS FOREVER!

CaliforniaCheez
04-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Ted Thompson has cured me from being a draft fanatic.

Why put so much work into it?

He is unpredictable and I am generally more pleased with his choices than mine.

ND72
04-22-2008, 07:09 AM
2004- I wanted Chris Gamble- We drafted Ahman Carroll

YES...... :(

Scott Campbell
04-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Ruettgers was very good for a long time. Toon was great up until he got hurt. Not a bad pick.

Your whole board looks pretty good, with the exception of the obvious bloopers. But every GM has those.

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
You woulda hit a few and missed a few, Bretsky.

One question, why did you need to skip school? Wasn't the draft always on Saturday and Sunday?

red
04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Your whole board looks pretty good, with the exception of the obvious bloopers. But every GM has those.

yeah, like chambers. who the hell would want that guy?

KYPack
04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Toon, Chambers and Vincent were big ones. Isn't it nuts that many of the "tweeners" that we should have drafted were Badgers?

I've always felt there is some bizarre "Anti-Badger" sentiment within the Packer organization. Not only that, it's been passed down from different front office regimes.

I've never heard anything that would pass for solid information as to why the Packers will take other players over UW grads, but if anyone has heard such a tale, pass it on.

One factor I've always wondered about was the fact that the Packers and UW football compete for the high end football dollar in the WI market. Maybe there is some competitive spirit btw the two organizations?

I sure dunno.

woodbuck27
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Ted Thompson has cured me from being a draft fanatic.

Why put so much work into it?

He is unpredictable and I am generally more pleased with his choices than mine.

I'll go "half in" on that post. :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Toon, Chambers and Vincent were big ones. Isn't it nuts that many of the "tweeners" that we should have drafted were Badgers?

Ruettgers had a solid career at LT. If the draft was redone, I'm not sure the Packers wouldn't take Ruettgers over Toon again.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Ruettgers had a solid career at LT. If the draft was redone, I'm not sure the Packers wouldn't take Ruettgers over Toon again.

I know i would. Ruettgers played 12 years, Toon 8.

Bretsky
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
You woulda hit a few and missed a few, Bretsky.

One question, why did you need to skip school? Wasn't the draft always on Saturday and Sunday?

Nope, in the 80's the full draft was not on the weekends.