PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS : Dolphins To Take Jake

packers11
04-22-2008, 12:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

Sources: Dolphins agree to deal with Long, will select OT No. 1 overall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and will select him with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's draft, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The announcement will come at a 1:45 p.m. ET news conference.

Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really had planned to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston or Virginia defensive end Chris Long, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.

Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.

Offensive line is considered the biggest need for the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last year.

packers11
04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
pft.com

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $3.5 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

LL2
04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, the first rd just moved 7 minutes faster.

Brando19
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
The press conference with jake is on ESPN right now. I guess it's a done deal...he will get more guaranteed money than Jamarcus Russell. This guy better be good.

Patler
04-22-2008, 01:20 PM
pft.com

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $3.5 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

That is the one thing wrong with the NFL salary situation. In no way shape or form should an unproven rookie have $30 million guaranteed.

The owners and GMs who have complained recently are exactly right. It is becoming less and less of an advantage to be in the highest spots of the first round. Even if he is a good player, he might not be worth his contract.

He could be the highest paid O-lineman in the league, and has never played a down.

Tarlam!
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Disagree, Patler. The guy has taken snaps, just nozt in the NFL. He has preened his body, learned his craft, been disciplined, eaten right and gone to bed early since he was, what, 5 years old?

This kid has worked his btt off and now, he is being rewarded his dues.

When push comes to shove, I would rather this rokkie take home 30 million than Mr. Huizinga an additional, say, 20. Oh, you can argue that they could spend that dough on vets etc. Well, TT has a cap and we could afford this guy and still pay a few vets.

Sorry Patler, I am a big believer in reward and recognition.

ND72
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
The press conference with jake is on ESPN right now. I guess it's a done deal...he will get more guaranteed money than Jamarcus Russell. This guy better be good.

Considering I still think Russell will be a huge failure, he doesn't have much to live up to.

Patler
04-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Disagree, Patler. The guy has taken snaps, just nozt in the NFL. He has preened his body, learned his craft, been disciplined, eaten right and gone to bed early since he was, what, 5 years old?

When push comes to shove, I would rather this rokkie take home 30 million than Mr. Huizinga an additional, say, 20. Oh, you can argue that they could spend that dough on vets etc. Well, TT has a cap and we could afford this guy and still pay a few vets.

Sorry Patler, I am a big believer in reward and recognition.

I'm a big believer in reward and recognition, too; to be paid at the level it is earned. I'm not suggesting he should get nothing, but he should not be one of the highest paid players on his team for what he did in COLLEGE, against college competition.

Did Ryan Leaf deserve what he got, let alone what he would get if he were in the draft today? What about Tony Mandarich? Does any player deserve to be among the highest payed players in the NFL based solely on what he did in college? I don't think so. Should Long get $30 million guaranteed for having been a good college player?

I would like to see a system that rewards the veterans more and the rookies less. A rookie cap would result in higher veterans' salaries, especially if coupled with higher veteran minimums. But it doesn't even have to be drastic, just a reduction in the guaranteed money for rookies.

I've toyed around with some concepts, which one day I will post on here for others to comment on. I certainly won't think of all of the ramifications myself. Others on here will see things I have overlooked. I think improvements could be accomplished very simply, such as by counting all signing bonus money in the first two years of the contract. This would reduce signing bonuses and increase roster bonuses, but should, I think, make it more likely that players will get those later bonuses only if they perform at the NFL level. It will result in somewhat less stability in rosters, but not a lot, as it would be mostly just first round draftees affected by it.

The Leaper
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM

No rookie is worth a $30M contract. A high pick who turns out to be a mistake can cripple a team for years afterward. I also hate the fact that rookies hold out and miss camp for what amounts to a relatively insignificant amount when compared to the total package. Teams shouldn't be held hostage by some kid who hasn't even proven he can play at the next level yet.

sheepshead
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
This rookie salary stuff is insane. And for an offensive lineman? I hope there's a rookie cap very soon. This does much more damage to teams and ultimately the league than people realize.

Tarlam!
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Patler. I was just pulling your chain!

Heck, you have no one else to debate with these days! Thought I'd give you a a nice juicy bone to chew!!

Patler
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Heck, you have no one else to debate with these days! Thought I'd give you a a nice juicy bone to chew!!

I kind of figured as much, but it gave me an excuse to pontificate! :D

LL2
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Totally agree! The NFL needs a rookie salary cap. Not the stupid one they have now that says how much a team can spend on rookie, but a max a rookie can make in a rookie contract.

Tarlam!
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM

I kind of figured as much, but it gave me an excuse to pontificate! :D

Damned, you know me too well! I thought I had you riled!

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Totally agree! The NFL needs a rookie salary cap. Not the stupid one they have now that says how much a team can spend on rookie, but a max a rookie can make in a rookie contract.

Dead on. Give these guys a couple million to let them get comfy but remain hungry. Too many #1s have taken the money and become satisfied.

Jamal Reynolds comes to mind as one.

red
04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
ok, they are saying that parcells won because jake got like 2.5 million less in bonus money and like 3 million less overall then jamarcus got last year

but its a 5 year deal instead of 6 years

so how the hell did parcells win?

so long is getting a lot more per year than russel got last year

like 2 million a year more

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Dead on. Give these guys a couple million to let them get comfy but remain hungry. Too many #1s have taken the money and become satisfied.

Jamal sucked. Woudln't have mattered how much or little we gave.

Your argument has no basis in reality.

Tarlam!
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Tyrone, what are you basing your argument on? Are you suggesting Jamal was always gonna suck? Suggesting the GM was on crack picking him?

GBP has evry argument in reality.

sharpe1027
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Just to provide further support for the point of this thread:

think of all the guaranteed money paid to all the first round busts, then look at Ryan Grant's current situation...something aint right, IMHO.

Guiness
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Just to provide further support for the point of this thread:

think of all the guaranteed money paid to all the first round busts, then look at Ryan Grant's current situation...something aint right, IMHO.

QFT

Insightful sharpe. I think that sums it up real solid. Especially when you know the Pack could hold onto him until his career is just about over...

Lurker64
04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Jake Long will either be a 10 year starter at Right Tackle or Robert Gallery II.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Tyrone, what are you basing your argument on? Are you suggesting Jamal was always gonna suck? Suggesting the GM was on crack picking him?

What i'm saying is there is no correlation between where we drafted him, bonus money given, etc.

Jamal sucked. First round he sucked. 6th round he sucked.

Tarlam!
04-23-2008, 02:12 AM

What i'm saying is there is no correlation between where we drafted him, bonus money given, etc.

Jamal sucked. First round he sucked. 6th round he sucked.

Well, maybe I misundestand what GBP has stated, but I believe his point is after he got paid, the motivation to play well was gone. That would amount to a different scenario than you propose.

Guiness
04-23-2008, 03:23 AM
How did the first round rookie salaries get to this point???

Did they make a quantum leap at some point? Just keep creeping up? Did something get written into the CBA to make it happen? These guys are locked to a team, unless they want to take a year off - why pay them more than they have to?

I remember Rocket Ishmail, who was supposed to be the concensus #1 pick that year, getting signed away by the Toronto Argonauts from the CFL :lol:

packrulz
04-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Maybe he's going to be a stud tackle, but looking at the clips of him in a Michigan uniform reminded me of how excited I was when the Pack selected Tony Mandarich, (sigh).

Fritz
04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Maybe he's going to be a stud tackle, but looking at the clips of him in a Michigan uniform reminded me of how excited I was when the Pack selected Tony Mandarich, (sigh).

Ouch, man. Ouch. Mandarich was from the "other" school - Michigan State.

However, as for Long, well, he was a very good run blocker in college but he did not impress me as a #1 overall pick. I think Steve Hutchinson, a guard the Seahawks took back in the Jamal Reynolds draft, was a far better offensive line prospect. Long reminds me more of another former U-M tackle, Jeff ("Son of Jim") Backus, who was picked in the mid-first round by the Lions and has been a serviceable left tackle, but nothing more.

packrulz
04-23-2008, 07:10 AM

Ouch, man. Ouch. Mandarich was from the "other" school - Michigan State.

However, as for Long, well, he was a very good run blocker in college but he did not impress me as a #1 overall pick. I think Steve Hutchinson, a guard the Seahawks took back in the Jamal Reynolds draft, was a far better offensive line prospect. Long reminds me more of another former U-M tackle, Jeff ("Son of Jim") Backus, who was picked in the mid-first round by the Lions and has been a serviceable left tackle, but nothing more.

Right, I get those two mixed up, I hate them both. :P I can understand Parcells reasoning, their OL sucks, but I think Dorsey is probably more of an impact player, I don't think Jake is really worthy of being #1 overall either.

Green Bud Packer
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM

I'm basing my statement on Ron Wolfs comment about how the Pack did their homework and thought Reynolds could handle the money.

oregonpackfan
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Many NFL coaches maintain the left tackle position is the most important position on the O-line. Perhaps Bill Parcells shares that belief with the selection and huge contract given to Jake Long.

Vince Lombardi called his own left tackle, Forrest Gregg, "The greatest player I have ever coached." Perhaps he too realized the importance of the left tackle position.

When you consider all the tremendous players Lombardi coached during the 60's like Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, Jerry Kramer, Herb Adderly, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, etc. the accolade to Gregg is all that more meaningful.

Bretsky
04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Long will have a decent NFL career IMO

But he's no Orlando Pace or Joe Thomas IMO

Just sucks to have the 1st pick this year.

The Dolphins could pick 4th and still get the same player