PDA

View Full Version : "TT could make run at RB""

Bretsky
04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Draft preview: Thompson could make run at back

greenbaypressgazette.p...00657/1989

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher @ greenbaypressgazette.com

As the NFL draft draws near, teams spend more time trying to figure out what their competitors are going to do on draft day.

Good luck predicting what Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson has planned for his first-round pick, No. 30 overall.

Thompson has no glaring need for a first-round starter, and even if he did, he has proven he emphasizes taking talent over need in the first round. So, with just about every position in play, scouts have been all over the board predicting what he might do, though one this week made an interesting guess based on what might be available at No. 30.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a running back in the first round," a college scouting director for an NFC team said.

Though running back isn't an obvious hole for the Packers after surprising Ryan Grant proved to be a quality starter, it is an area the Packers could upgrade for a couple of reasons. First, Grant is a physical runner who could take a beating and be susceptible to injuries. Second, as the New York Giants showed on their way to winning the Super Bowl in February, NFL teams generally need at least two quality backs because of the attrition at that position.

Throw in coach Mike McCarthy's desire to call a more run-oriented game, and running back is a position of need. They have second-year pro Brandon Jackson as a backup, but despite all the glowing comments McCarthy has made about him this offseason, Jackson could end up being more of a key performer on special teams than in the backfield, unless he shows more explosiveness than he did as a rookie.

Then there's DeShawn Wynn, a second-year pro who showed some promise as a runner early last season. However, his career, dating to his days at the University of Florida, suggests he can't be counted on to stay healthy and play through injuries.

So, for Thompson, it comes down to whether a running back will be worthy of taking at No. 30. While the top prospects — Darren McFadden of Arkansas, Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois, Jonathan Stewart of Oregon and possibly Felix Jones of Arkansas — may be off the board, East Carolina's Chris Johnson may merit consideration.

Johnson (5-foot-111/8, 199 pounds) doesn't have the bulk teams desire for an every-down back, which might keep some clubs from giving him a first-round grade, but he has breakaway speed, runs surprisingly well between the tackles and is a good receiver out of the backfield. He blew away scouts by running the 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

Mike Archer, a former linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is defensive coordinator for North Carolina State and coached against Johnson three-quarters of the way through last season. His defense held Johnson to only 63 rushing yards, but Archer saw tape of Johnson's seven previous games and saw a good NFL prospect.

"I was scared to death of the kid because he killed North Carolina (with 154 yards rushing and receiving)," Archer said. "The week before we played him, they played at UTEP and he had 300 yards total in kick returns, punts and rushing and catching. The kid is talented, and we knew he could run. Some kids run fast in track. This kid was fast with pads on, too. There's a difference. They tried to get the ball in his hands, and it was probably our best tackling game all year."

Johnson wasn't a big producer until his final season, when his 1,423 rushing yards more than doubled his career high. He averaged 6.0 yards per carry, rushed for 17 touchdowns and scored six more on pass receptions.

"I don't see him as a complete back like Mendenhall, being a blocker, a pass catcher, a consistent runner to grab ground," a scout for an NFC team said. "Chris Johnson, if it's there, he's got the speed to explode it; if it isn't, he doesn't have that magic. I'm not overly excited about him. But I know he's going to make it because of the 4.2 speed, and they'll work with and develop him more. But as an impact guy, I don't see it."

There's also a chance Jones will be available at No. 30 — he's a slightly bigger (5-10 1/8, 207 pounds) and more elusive version of Johnson. He averaged an amazing 8.7 yards a carry last season while splitting time behind McFadden. But, there's a strong belief he won't get past Dallas' second first-round pick, No. 22 overall.

Texas' Jamaal Charles and Central Florida's Kevin Smith also excite some scouts, though they don't appear to rate as late first-round picks on many, if any, draft boards.

5. Chris Johnson, East Carolina

5-11 1/8, 199; Round 1 or 2

Overview: Probably lacks the size to be an every-down back, but had a big senior season. Ran the 40 in 4.24, which was the fastest time of anyone at the combine. Played regularly his first three seasons but didn't bust out until last year, when he rushed for 1,423 yards, averaged 6.0 yards a carry and scored 17 touchdowns. He's an all-purpose threat: caught 37 passes for a 14.3-yard average and six touchdowns as a senior, and averaged 28.0 yards on 36 kickoff returns. Had three games of 408 all-purpose yards, including against Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl. Runs OK between the tackles, but whether he could hold up doing that regularly at 199 pounds in the NFL is another question.

The talk: "He's legit fast," one scout said. "But it's funny, he's not like (Atlanta's 204-pound) Jerious Norwood, where he can't run inside. When you watch him, he runs like a bigger guy, and he has the speed as the cherry on top. He has a chance to develop into a real guy. You'd love to have him in a situation where he was a 1A to another guy. That would be ideal. Whether he could be a No. 1 guy, there's a little question, because there's not a lot of guys under 200 pounds that are full-time guys, so that would be the issue. But I like him as a runner, I really do." … "Smaller guy but just runs more on pure speed," another scout said. "He's got great speed with the ball. I don't know (if he can run between the tackles in the NFL). A lot of these backs are running so much out of spread offenses (in college) now, it's hard to tell how they're going to do behind a lead back when they've got to read holes and have some patience and vision. It's not just school-yard football."

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Thompson is going to pair Grant and Jackson with a washed up Shaun Alexander.
:D

KYPack
04-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Sitting at 30, TT will go BPA. Whatever guy "falls" will be drafted, so it could be any position. If there is a run on corners, TT may well draft a RB if he is BPA according to the Packer's board.

The first pick could be a MLB if that guy makes it to the 30 slot.

I look for a lot of wailing and screaming again this year when our pick is announced.

Bretsky
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Sitting at 30, TT will go BPA. Whatever guy "falls" will be drafted, so it could be any position. If there is a run on corners, TT may well draft a RB if he is BPA according to the Packer's board.

The first pick could be a MLB if that guy makes it to the 30 slot.

I look for a lot of wailing and screaming again this year when our pick is announced.

I'm all about acceptance this year; I just hope it's not an OT, which means it will be.

woodbuck27
04-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Thompson is going to pair Grant and Jackson with a washed up Shaun Alexander.
:D

Check out this fella:

Matt Forté Tulane 6-13/8 217 4.46 - 40 Yds.

Strengths:

Has excellent size...Real versatile...Tough and physical...Very good blocker...Great vision and instincts...Runs hard and with power...Does a nice job in short-yardage situations...Good hands and he can catch the ball out of the backfield...Productive.

Weaknesses:

Lacks great timed speed and quickness...Needs to get stronger...A 'tweener who may not have a true pro position...Is not explosive or a big play threat...Won't be a traditional lead blocker...Not real elusive...Has some durability / health concerns.

Named the Tulane Male Student-Athlete of the Year in '07...

Ran for over 2,000 yards as a senior...

Could realistically project to either running back or fullback at the next level...

Nice all-around weapon..A poor-man's Brian Leonard.

Career Statistics

Year GP Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD

2004 11 140 624 4.5 4 20 180 2

2005 11 169 655 3.9 4 23 163 1

2006 9 163 859 5.3 8 28 360 2

2007 12 361 2,127 5.9 23 32 282 0

Totals 43 833 4,625 5.1 39 103 985 5

PACKERS FOREVER!

run pMc
04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I've seen Forte as a R2 pick for a couple of teams in mock drafts. Sounds like a decent pick. As for Johnson, I'm leery of RBs who are one year wonders with great speed.

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't see why Felix Jones can't become a Reggie Bush type threat. He'll never be a dominant #1 RB but he makes an impact all over the field. Maybe the Saints were hoping for more from Bush at #2 overall, but I'd take that receiving and return production at #30.

There was some talk of Stewart falling for awhile. But that seems to be over. He'd likely be step above Grant in terms of speed and receiving ability. They'd be a good 1-2 punch with Jackson as the 3rd down back. Don't see it happening though.

I'd be on board with either of those guys if they fall to us, but I think they'll be gone.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
If we grab an RB, which RB do people want? Stewart in the 1st round? Jones in the 1st? Another guy in later rounds? Late round flier?

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 02:09 PM
If we grab an RB, which RB do people want? Stewart in the 1st round? Jones in the 1st? Another guy in later rounds? Late round flier?

And what kind of RB do we need? Grant is a workhorse type. Jackson could function as his backup or as a 3rd down back.

Do we want a receiver, open field type, or an every down rusher to pair with Grant?

I like Jones for the former, or Kevin Smith or Ray Rice for the latter.

I don't love Morency, but it also wouldn't bother me if we skipped RB altogether.

Bossman641
04-23-2008, 02:40 PM

It seems like most people want a bruiser type guy. Just looking at the height/weight of the top 20 RB's or so, none of them are that big. Most are in the 210-220 range, Stewart is the biggest top guy at 235. There's a guy from Graceland, IA (football hotbed) by the name of Jerome Messam. He has an intriguing size/speed ratio, 4.55 at 248 pounds. If Stewart is there in the 1st (doubtful), I'd take him. If he's not, I'd honestly be fine with not taking a RB at all. Maybe a late round flier on a bigger guy. Other than that, no thanks. I'd rather not use a 3rd-4th round pick on a RB who might make the team. Grant's a lock, Jackson's a lock, Wynn is intriguing if he ever got his act together.

Bottom line, for me it would either be Stewart in the first or a developmental guy in rounds 5-6-7. Nothing in between.

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2008, 02:50 PM
That kind of speed (Johnson, I mean) and alleged ability to run inside reminds me of Michael Bennett--and I say that in the nicest possible way. In the Packers system--one cut and go, Johnson could be awesome. He also could be one helluva kick returner.

I was thinking "no way" on a RB until somebody's post a week or so ago pointed out the obvious--that as solid as we are with Grant, we are one injury away from being very mediocre there.

I don't like Forte or Rice or Stewart. Felix Jones could be good, but I see more potential in Johnson. The guy could be special.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
That kind of speed (Johnson, I mean) and alleged ability to run inside reminds me of Michael Bennett--and I say that in the nicest possible way. In the Packers system--one cut and go, Johnson could be awesome. He also could be one helluva kick returner.

I was thinking "no way" on a RB until somebody's post a week or so ago pointed out the obvious--that as solid as we are with Grant, we are one injury away from being very mediocre there.

I don't like Forte or Rice or Stewart. Felix Jones could be good, but I see more potential in Johnson. The guy could be special.

agree with you 100% Tex. With the kind of power Grant brings to the table a 4.24 guy in Johnson could be explosive for our offense. The only thing that turns me off about him is the fact he only had 1 productive year.

I'd love to see a study done on 1 yr college wonders and how it translates to the NFL.

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
That kind of speed (Johnson, I mean) and alleged ability to run inside reminds me of Michael Bennett--and I say that in the nicest possible way.

Bennett I could live with, LeShon Johnson I could live without. I've never seen the guy play, but I had the impression that Chris Johnson was all straight-line speed. Anyone watched one of their games?

LL2
04-23-2008, 03:29 PM
If the Pack take a RB I hope it's either Stewart or that guy (can't think of his name) from Central Florida that ran for over 2500 yards.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Well the only game I watched him in this year was the Bowl game against Boise and remember I was impressed. So i went and youtubed his highlight tape(didnt know if you can imbed here or not) and again, impressive.

It's no LeShon Johnson here, this kid has good vision, and the way he switches gears is pretty jaw-droping. He also looked way too much like Westbrook or LT catching out of the backfield as well.

Then again, people will question his level of competition, and to say to that I say Villanova and TCU.

I encourage everyone to look up this video, i'm impressed.

Bretsky
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm all for Stewart in round one or Ray Rice in round 2

Fritz
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
If the Pack take a RB I hope it's either Stewart or that guy (can't think of his name) from Central Florida that ran for over 2500 yards.

Yeah, that dude. Sign me up for him too.

chain_gang
04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm all about acceptance this year; I just hope it's not an OT, which means it will be.

I completely agree, I really don't want to see an OT in Round 1, unless a top one fell, which is looking pretty unlikely. I don't like Baker at #30. I think after the top 4 OT's go, there's that much of a drop off in 5-10 and you can get a better value in the 2nd or 3rd on one.

DonHutson
04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Actually, much of the same logic about taking a RB in the first applies to the WR's as well.

We don't have an immediate need, but Driver is getting up in years and Jones looked pretty good, but isn't a sure thing. Robinson and Martin are good enough, but they aren't irreplacable. None of those guys is the new prototype 6-4 guy, except Martin who isn't overly athletic.

A lot of people have doubts about the top WR's for various reasons. It's entirely possible that only one goes off the board before we pick. Teams that need one might wait until the second round if there's no run on them. It wouldn't shock me to see Ted take one of the big, tall WR's to add another dimension to that group.

Sweed from Texas seems like the one of those guys who isn't a complete d-bag. Plus he's coming off an injury which might scare a few teams off.

If I was expecting the unexpected, I might expect that, but then I'd be expecting it... so... I'm confused...

LEWCWA
04-26-2008, 02:14 AM
or an ot

LEWCWA
04-26-2008, 02:14 AM
maybe a cb

LEWCWA
04-26-2008, 02:15 AM
or just maybe a S