PDA

View Full Version : Alexander cut

Partial
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
How the mighty have fallen.

oregonpackfan
04-22-2008, 11:44 PM
It is interesting to note for the pro level running back, that once they hit the age of 30, their skills take a dramatic drop. There are certainly exceptions to this rule, but 30 appears to be the ceiling for NFL RBs.

woodbuck27
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Shawn Alexander three and four seasons ago. DYNOMITE !

and this. . . WOW. :shock:

Chubbyhubby
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Seahawks cut running back, former MVP Alexander

April 22, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports

SEATTLE -- From MVP to vilified to unemployed in a little more than two years.

Shaun Alexander's free fall in Seattle was completed Tuesday when the Seahawks cut the running back who led them to their only Super Bowl appearance in 2006 and was rewarded soon after with a $62 million contract.

For Alexander, the two seasons since he received that eight-year deal have been filled with injuries, ineffectiveness and incessant boos.

"Yeah, it's sad, really," Seahawks president Tim Ruskell said while announcing the defending four-time NFC West champions released Alexander unconditionally, hours after the running back passed a physical.

Carolina_Packer
04-23-2008, 12:04 AM
OPF, it seems to follow a pattern. I can't remember how many carries they say a typical RB has in them, but there is a benchmark number. 30 years old seems to be the typical highpoint of a high-level back too, and most of them drop off precipitously after that. Perhaps he'll find a suitor and latch on with them, but I don't see him ever being a feature back again.

Phil03
04-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Anyone notice that he started sucking after Steve Hutchinson was signed by Minnesota and Minnesota's running game also magically improved in 2006 :)

woodbuck27
04-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Anyone notice that he started sucking after Steve Hutchinson was signed by Minnesota and Minnesota's running game also magically improved in 2006 :)

That plus an outstanding young RB.

Phil03
04-23-2008, 01:13 AM

True but Chester Taylor looked pretty good in 2006 and 2007 and he's not THAT good

Phil03
04-23-2008, 01:14 AM

True but Chester Taylor looked pretty good in 2006 and 2007 and he's not THAT good

woodbuck27
04-23-2008, 01:17 AM

Good point. :)

Tarlam!
04-23-2008, 01:20 AM

Good catch, Phil.

I say we sign him! TT obviously knows the guy well. If we do sign him, TT has to have the inside straight on what he can and can't do...

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Minnesota's rushing offense only went up from 3.9 yards/carry to 4.1 yards/carry from 2005 to 2006. It wasn't until they got an All-World talent in Adrian Peterson that they really took off. Interestingly, Maurice Morris averaged 4.1 yards/carry in 2005 and he averaged 4.5 yards/carry last season. It looks as much like Alexander fell off and Minnesota got Peterson more than anything else. I'm sure Hutchinson helped, but I think there's much more to it than that.

TheCheese
04-23-2008, 02:03 AM
I just hope we stay the hell away from Alexander. Even if he is number four on the depth chart, I really am not too fond of that guy.

Guiness
04-23-2008, 03:18 AM
For some reason, I never really liked the guy, even after his big season. The year after his big season, I drafted LT #1 overall in a FF pool

Can't put a finger on it, he just never did it for me. And after that monster season, I remember thinking Seattle was screwed because they were going to have to give him the bank.

Of course, an eight year deal was a pipe dream So what the heck kind of a cap hit is Seattle taking on him??? :!:

Just checked - $15 mil signing bonus (not bad, really) which means they take 6/8ths of that, or $11.25mil hit this year. Ouch is all I can say.

On to the present - although I never considered him a top flight talent, does anyone really think he's washed up? He had to injuries these past two years, but they were a broken foot and a broken wrist - neither soft tissue. If his knees are still good, I think he could probably still be an effective back.

Lurker64
04-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Stay away form Alexander. He's big and slow (now) so he can't hit holes that are closing quickly, and he doesn't really break tackles. He can't catch the ball out of the backfield, he doesn't appear to want to block, and he won't play on special teams (not that he'd be any good at it.) I'd rather have Noah Herron than Shaun Alexander at this point, and I'm not that high on Herron (but at least he'll play ST, and he'll do everything he's asked to do to the extent of his limited ability).

Fritz
04-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Thank you Ted for not panicking a couple years ago and re-signing Ahman Green. Same deal - he hit 30 and his game left him. He got hurt a lot last year and didn't do jack.

red
04-23-2008, 07:12 AM
For some reason, I never really liked the guy, even after his big season. The year after his big season, I drafted LT #1 overall in a FF pool

Can't put a finger on it, he just never did it for me. And after that monster season, I remember thinking Seattle was screwed because they were going to have to give him the bank.

Of course, an eight year deal was a pipe dream So what the heck kind of a cap hit is Seattle taking on him??? :!:

Just checked - $15 mil signing bonus (not bad, really) which means they take 6/8ths of that, or $11.25mil hit this year. Ouch is all I can say.

On to the present - although I never considered him a top flight talent, does anyone really think he's washed up? He had to injuries these past two years, but they were a broken foot and a broken wrist - neither soft tissue. If his knees are still good, I think he could probably still be an effective back.

nope thats wrong guiness

the maximum you can spread the signing bonus over is 5 years

so theres 3/5ths left or 9 million dollar hit this year. or they can use it at the new june cut rule for one player and take a 3 million dollar hit this year and 6 million next year

i think

red
04-23-2008, 07:15 AM
and didn't SA throw a fit about needing more money?

and the team didn't want to give it to him, but they ended up caving

opps

Phil03
04-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Minnesota's rushing offense only went up from 3.9 yards/carry to 4.1 yards/carry from 2005 to 2006. It wasn't until they got an All-World talent in Adrian Peterson that they really took off. Interestingly, Maurice Morris averaged 4.1 yards/carry in 2005 and he averaged 4.5 yards/carry last season. It looks as much like Alexander fell off and Minnesota got Peterson more than anything else. I'm sure Hutchinson helped, but I think there's much more to it than that.

I thought it was much more than that, I think Peterson is getting overrated though.Another reason for Minnesota improving though is Tony Richardson. He missed 9 games in the past 2 seasons with Minnesota and they averaged 4.1 YPC when he's not there, 5.0 when he is.
Back to Seattle, I think you're right that Alexander has slowed down a little but the line made him look worse than he was.

mmmdk
04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Wow! :shock:

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 08:55 AM
So clearly he's not worth what his contract was paying him. The question is, does he have anything left in the tank at all. Based on what I saw out of him last year, I don't think so.

red
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
i don't either

Zool
04-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Not surprisingly, Alexander hit the dreaded 30 years old last August. Someone grab a fork and go check on him. I think he's done.

MadtownPacker
04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Hell no!! This guy will thrown the average player age down the toilet. TT wants to keep that title on his team. Shows that they are his players. Egotistic bastard.

Zool
04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Didnt TT draft Alexander in Sea?

3irty1
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Didnt TT draft Alexander in Sea?

Think so yeah.

MadtownPacker
04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
How am I suppose to bash Thompson when you keep bringing up facts??

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 11:15 AM
How am I suppose to bash Thompson when you keep bringing up facts??

Hey, it's not our fault that Telemundo has such crappy draft coverage.

Zool
04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
This guy is the Mel Kiper of Unavision.

http://www.irreverencia.cl/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sabadogigante.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM

His hair is good, but he's no Mel.

Chester Marcol
04-23-2008, 11:40 AM

What about the Chris Berman of Unavision? Brett "hace mucho e" Favre "lejos"

My apologies to Mad for murdering the spanish language. I'm a fargin bastage.

Guiness
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM

nope thats wrong guiness

the maximum you can spread the signing bonus over is 5 years

so theres 3/5ths left or 9 million dollar hit this year. or they can use it at the new june cut rule for one player and take a 3 million dollar hit this year and 6 million next year

i think

I bet that makes them feel SO much better :shock:

You're right, I forgot about the 5yr thing. A $9 mil hit is still a real kick in the crotch though.

Bossman641
04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Alexander is absolutely done. He seems like the type of guy who worked to get the money and then just lost all motivation. He's slow and doesn't finish his runs at all. I wonder if anyone will pick him up.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I bet that makes them feel SO much better :shock:

You're right, I forgot about the 5yr thing. A $9 mil hit is still a real kick in the crotch though.

It takes a lot of nerve to say no to a productive player, so I can understand the Seahawks predicament. Look at all the flak Ted caught for letting Ahman go last year.

Tarlam!
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Look at all the flak Ted caught for letting Ahman go last year.

He didn't get much flak for not matching Ahman's deal. Those Texans paid crazy money in most people's opinions. He only caught flak when the run game stalled in the first 8 games. Once Grant started to shine it was like "Ahman who...?".