PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper to Packers?

Rastak
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Our buddy Florio at it again......Mad would love this one...he can call him Culfumbler again!

PACKERS LOOKING AT CULPEPPER
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2008, 3:09 p.m.
The Green Bay Packers are exploring the possibility of signing free agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper, the Green Bay Press-Gazette is reporting.

Culpepper reportedly arrived in Green Bay Tuesday and is visiting the Packers today. The Packers are considering signing Culpepper as a backup to Aaron Rodgers, who became the starting quarterback when Brett Favre retired.

Last season Culpepper played in seven games for the Oakland Raiders, starting six, and completed 58.1 percent of his passes for 1,331 yards with five touchdowns and five interceptions.

Culpepper had one of the best passing seasons in NFL history in 2004, but as a result of injuries and ineffectiveness since then, he has played 18 games for three teams since then.

MTPackerfan
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

packinpatland
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe he's just there to take the Lambeau Tour and visit the Packer Hall of Fame. :wink:

Bossman641
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Please no. I hate Culpepper.

oregonpackfan
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
The Packers need a backup QB who is a veteran. I have no problems with the Packers signing him, even if he used to play for the despised Vikings.

Heck, are Packer fans forgetting that we had former Bears QB Jim McMahon sitting on the Packers' bench?

red
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
i think i'm going to vomit

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll get hated on because of this, but I'm giving my thumbs up to this potential deal.

:tup:

Hopefully, he wouldn't have to play. Outside of David Garrard, I'd take this option over some of the other backup QBs that were out there.

Rodgers-Culpepper-Josh Johnson

I'd take that.

Packnut
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
The Packers need a backup QB who is a veteran. I have no problems with the Packers signing him, even if he used to play for the despised Vikings.

Heck, are Packer fans forgetting that we had former Bears QB sitting on the Packers' bench?

Agreed. If Rodgers goes down we're screwed anyway, so it's only a question of how much.

Packnut
04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I'll get hated on because of this, but I'm giving my thumbs up to this potential deal.

Hopefully, he wouldn't have to play. Outside of David Garrard, I'd take this option over some of the other backup QBs that were out there.

I'd take that.

Holy Crap we agree! :shock: Satan must be reaching for that parka about right now.
:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM
It all comes down to dollars and cents. If it takes a lot of those to sign Culpepper, forget it. If he can be signed to a cheap, fairly risk-free contract, then go for it.

An objective view is that he was a decent, if not great QB. He's not that old, and he probably is far enough removed from his injury for it to be healed--unless it was just so bad that he never recovers fully.

We are going to need somebody--assuming Nall is gone. Probably a veteran is needed even if we draft a QB. I'd take a healthy Culpepper over a lot of others.

sheepshead
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I have no problem with Pep. I like the idea of a veteran behind Rogers.

red
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
culpepper is absolute shit without moss

we don't have moss

he is shit

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Or... is this all smokescreen and we're going to turn around and draft a QB at #30?

:twisted:

Whatever the case, I don't really want to give up anything of value in a trade for a backup. So if they think Culpepper is the best of the warm bodies out there to hold the clipboard then so be it. To me he doesn't seem like a good fit for the WCO, and I just plain don't really like the guy.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM

I'd take that.

I for one would love to see this. Culpepper looked much worse than he actually was last year because of the Raiders poor pass blocking.

Also I think Josh Johnson could be a great project, 6'3" 4.6 speed, oh and great decision making, he was 45 td's to 1 pick last year.

ND72
04-23-2008, 03:09 PM
sadly, I do think it'd be a good deal. As far as vetran QB's go, who's left? I think Dante would be a solid guy, like a Jim McMahon was, to come in and at least try to keep Rodgers grounded at all times.

I say Yes...but I do so with pain.

DonHutson
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I think Dante would be a solid guy, like a Jim McMahon was, to come in and at least try to keep Rodgers grounded at all times.

That's another good point. They better make damn sure that Culpepper is ready to accept being the #2 guy. If he's coming here because he thinks he has a chance to unseat Rodgers and he ends up being a disgruntled prick when he doesn't, he could end up being more trouble than he's worth.

woodbuck27
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM

I'd take that.

That would be a smart move given Aaron Rodgers inexperience and his penchant to get banged up. Good insurance. 16 games is a long season and the time to get that Vet is soon not later. He needs to be in the fold.

We would be better off to land such a Vet as Culpepper, irregardless of any politics. He's certainly a decent back-up. Yes also to drafting one QB prospect this weekend. Several PackerRats like Josh Johnson.*

It may be be someone else. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I wish we could do better than this. Maybe we can't. Who else is out there?

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
We probably won't get Johnson, but J.D. Booty, Ainge, Woodson are all guys I could see the Pack taking unless they do the unthinkable and take a guy in the 2nd.

Bossman641
04-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Here's the thing about Culpepper. I want a film-study guy in a backup QB role. A guy who knows the game inside and out and may not have the physical tools, but has the mental game. Someone to mentor Rodgers and point out the little things when Rodgers comes over to the sidelines. I just don't see that in Culpepper. At his prime it seemed like he got by on his physical tools. I can see it now.

Rodgers - Pep they keep faking the nickelback blitz, zone blitzing off the weak side and then dropping into cover 3. Got any ideas?

Culpepper - Yea, chuck it as far as you can to Randy. He'll come down with it.

Maybe I'm wrong on all this and Culpepper is a great study QB, but that is my impression of him.

The Leaper
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Culpepper wouldn't be a bad option IMO. He's basically immobile at this point, but he has a strong arm and plenty of experience...especially against NFC North foes.

His numbers last year weren't horrific...considering the lack of talent on the Raiders. When healthy, he can still be a very solid QB in a relief role.

Brohm
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Bring him in to back-up Rdogers for a year. Let MM work his magic. Show his reworked stuff in preseason. Trade him to some schmuck for a mid to late rounder next year ala Mirer and let whatever qb we pick up in the draft become the back-up next year :twisted:

MacCool606
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Culpepper never really had much QB coaching. (I don't know who was on the staff when Green was HC, I'm pretty sure that there wasn't much with Tice.) Is he too old to learn something from McCarthy and Clements? If he still could be a student of the game, I could see him as a serviceable backup.

MadScientist
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Heck, are Packer fans forgetting that we had former Bears QB Jim McMahon sitting on the Packers' bench?
I try, I really try to forget. At least I don't hate Culpepper like I did McMahon. If they do sign him, I hope he sees the field about as much as McMahon did.

The Shadow
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
No thanks, no Culpepper, please.

hurleyfan
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Sounds as if it's getting close...

Rastak
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Yes, team officials were seen wining and dining c-pep at Applebees.

(Give'n some crap to GBM!)

hurleyfan
04-23-2008, 06:38 PM

The Packer "brass" going top shelf!!

cpk1994
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
We probably won't get Johnson, but J.D. Booty, Ainge, Woodson are all guys I could see the Pack taking unless they do the unthinkable and take a guy in the 2nd.No to Ainge. He is too scared to take a hit.

MadtownPacker
04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Does anyone recall that dumb shit dumbte pulled with the raiders? Racing some rookie DB and hurting himself?

Leave the trash in the trash. He will never be a Packer in my eyes.

ND72
04-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Silly Vikings Fan...we have a resturant in our stadium.

KYPack
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
We must have a vet back-up. Rookies don't know how to fly the jet. Any back-up is a stop gap. Pepper? I have the same problems many on here have, but I think he'd be OK. He'll accept the role and the money. Time with MM and the coaching crew might put him back on track. A guy like DC might be able to keep the ship on course until AR gets back to normal.

All these rookies that eveybody wants to draft would be totally unable to play in year one. We need a guy with experience that can fill in when needed.

Lurker64
04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Personally, I think it would be hilarious if both Jim McMahon and Daunte Culpepper had Green Bay Packer Superbowl Rings.

red
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
i'm with bossman

yeah we need a vet backup to help a-rod if he needs help

but culpepper's a friken idiot

who the hell is he gonna help?

he's just going to sit there and bitch and moan because he's not starting

i promise you, the only rason he wants to come here is because he thinks a-rod will flop and he would be next in line to start again

i wouldn't put it past him to torpedo a-rod so he gets benched

Bretsky
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
i'm with bossman

yeah we need a vet backup to help a-rod if he needs help

but culpepper's a friken idiot

who the hell is he gonna help?

he's just going to sit there and bitch and moan because he's not starting

i promise you, the only rason he wants to come here is because he thinks a-rod will flop and he would be next in line to start again

i wouldn't put it past him to torpedo a-rod so he gets benched

On one hand he's probably the best out there

On the other hand we've sat on our asses while backups get signed and now we bring in this chump

Who cares; might as well go with rookies

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM

On the other hand we've sat on our asses while backups get signed and now we bring in this chump

Other than Garrard, what backup QB were you clamoring for? There wasn't much out there. Culpepper is as good as the rest, so big deal if Thompson sat on his hands. The two guys that we've shown the most interest in are the two guys I thought would be the best options. Who knows if Garrard even wanted to be in Green Bay. He didn't get much of an offer where he went. It could be that Green Bay did indeed offer more cash, but he wasn't that interested.

I need to get this negativity out of you. You used to be an optimistic realist, and now you find a pessimistic take on every story.
:D

I'm not letting you beat me in Wii bowling this year. I'm serious. At least, not until you write a letter of apology to Ted Thompson.

red
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Other than Garrard, what backup QB were you clamoring for? There wasn't much out there. Culpepper is as good as the rest, so big deal if Thompson sat on his hands. The two guys that we've shown the most interest in are the two guys I thought would be the best options. Who knows if Garrard even wanted to be in Green Bay. He didn't get much of an offer where he went. It could be that Green Bay did indeed offer more cash, but he wasn't that interested.

I need to get this negativity out of you. You used to be an optimistic realist, and now you find a pessimistic take on every story.

I'm not letting you beat me in Wii bowling this year. I'm serious. At least, not until you write a letter of apology to Ted Thompson.

i'd rather wait for june cuts to see what happens

Bretsky
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Let's not get dramatic; I was not "clamoring" for anybody. But certainly I'd have preferred some of the others over Culpecker. Part of that is probably because I just can't stand the guy.

And isn't Gerrard Jacksonville's starter ? I'd take him in a second if we could get him. My guess is you mean Quinn Gray. I'd certainly prefer Gray and possibly even Cleo Lemon over Dante without looking back at the list.

And you are SO getting your ass kicked in wiii bowling. I think you've became softer in your critiquing ways and if that's an indicator you'll be lucky to beat me in tennis again

:wink:

swede
04-23-2008, 10:20 PM

You heard it right, Ras.

For privacy, they booked the Longwell Room.

MadScientist
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
What June cuts? With the cap shooting up, there's not much need to wait till June and cut people for cap reasons.

Culpepper put up a QB rating of 78 last year at Oakland, as long as he's a good teammate, he's serviceable. If he were behind Brett, nobody would care because he wouldn't see the field.

DannoMac21
04-23-2008, 10:24 PM

I'd take that.

Quinn Gray?

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Quinn Gray?

Indeed.

Jimx29
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Our buddy Florio at it again......Mad would love this one...he can call him Culfumbler again!

I rather prefer "fumblina"

Carolina_Packer
04-23-2008, 11:56 PM
It's easy to scoff at this potential signing, but it does make some sense. Culpepper has spent the last two years in NFL hell. Playing for a bad Dolphins team when his rehab was not complete and then playing for the Raiders...nuff said. If he's in decent shape, why not take a chance that he can be a serviceable backup? He certainly has good experience.

Look at Jeff Garcia. He spent one year with Cleveland on a laughable team and then went to Detroit (or was it the other way around?). Anyway, he freed himself from that hell and rebounded in his career. I know he didn't hurt his knee like Culpep did, but again, if his knee is rehabbed, why not him? He just might find it again in Green Bay in a pretty good team. Then you could look at more of a project at QB, like a Josh Johnson.

BZnDallas
04-24-2008, 12:40 AM
i guess i'm a bit wishy-washy on this as well :lol: ... one part of me hates the idea of having the arm rolling celebrationer help this team get to the promise land... but then the other part of me thinks (if the unfortunate event of having arodg go down) that if this guy takes us and helps us win the super bowl, what would all the viqueen fans think?... it would be so sweet to be able to talk mad S*** to my viqueen fan friends!!... "he couldn't win one with ya'll, but was able to get it done in GB"... ahhh, i can see it already... they might even burn down that crap hole metrodome in angst... one could only hope... :flm: ... i'd say i'm 60-40 on bringing him in... just one mans opinion...

CaliforniaCheez
04-24-2008, 01:47 AM
I bet the Packer organization is just loving watching him:

-On his knees begging and crying for a job.

-licking boots and kissing rings.

-being videotaped saying how much he loves and adores the Green Bay Packers.

Then I'm sure they enjoyed kicking his behind out the door and telling him if he isn't off the property in 3 minutes they are calling the Sheriff. Then giggling and watching the tape of him begging and groveling again.

Oh that is priceless.

red
04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
What June cuts? With the cap shooting up, there's not much need to wait till June and cut people for cap reasons.

Culpepper put up a QB rating of 78 last year at Oakland, as long as he's a good teammate, he's serviceable. If he were behind Brett, nobody would care because he wouldn't see the field.

thats just it

he's NOT a good teammate

if he doesn't get his way (full time starter this year) he will piss moan bitch and cry and say the team doesn't respect him enough and demand to be traded or let go. he's done it before, he'll do it again. i think he's pulled it on all 3 teams he's been on in fact

the only way i would bring him is is for the vet minimum with no signing bonus. i wouldn't play him at all in the preseason. then i'd cut his ass in the final cuts

then probably try and piss on him as he pouts and cries while walking out to his cab

oh, all while doing the arm roll, with someone blowing the viqueen horn next to me

Guiness
04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
I have my doubts as well that he'd be a good teamate.
As far as I'm concerned, as soon as a guy utters the word 'respect' in the first or third person singular, it pretty much tells me he's not a guy you want sitting next to you on the bench. And we heard plenty of that out of Culpepper when he was looking for a new contract out of Minnesota.

I haven't watched him too closely in Miami or Oakland, but what little I saw, the rest of the posters here are correct...he seemed to whine an awful lot!

KYPack
04-24-2008, 08:07 AM

This is true. The June cuts have evaporated due to the high cap. But, Tampa may well release a QB on June 1.

packinpatland
04-24-2008, 08:13 AM
"the only way i would bring him is is for the vet minimum with no signing bonus. i wouldn't play him at all in the preseason. then i'd cut his ass in the final cuts"

Why bother wasting his/our time and our money?

Rastak
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Then I'm sure they enjoyed kicking his behind out the door and telling him if he isn't off the property in 3 minutes they are calling the Sheriff. Then giggling and watching the tape of him begging and groveling again.

Oh that is priceless.

Then the alarm rang and you woke up.

sheepshead
04-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Oh that is priceless.

HAAAAAAAAA--good image!

sharpe1027
04-24-2008, 08:39 AM
We're talking about a backup QB who could easily get beat out in camp by other bodies they bring in. Non-story.

If they sign him and he ends up being better than anyone else they can find, I don't see how that is a bad thing. Otherwise, they keep whomever else they can find that is better.

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 09:01 AM
If they sign him and he ends up being better than anyone else they can find, I don't see how that is a bad thing. Otherwise, they keep whomever else they can find that is better.

Precisely.

The bottom line is that Culpepper is a guy who has performed at an All-Pro level in the past when surrounded with capable talent. Who else is available as a #2 QB that you can say that about?

I also think the comparisons to Garcia have some merit...few NFL QBs were going to be successful in Miami or Oakland in the last few years. I think it is hilarious when people who wanted to get Moss last year are now complaining about potentially getting Culpepper.

Carolina_Packer
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Why not roll the dice and take a chance on him? I have no knowledge of him as a teammate. I know that he forced his way out of MN, but he could have a different outlook now that he's out of work and doesn't have any leverage. He may have grown up some and is just trying to find a place to work and fit in. If he's the old Culpepper, that helps the Packers. If he's only a serviceable backup, then he meets expectations. If he's terrible, they can cut their losses. I'm not sure how this is a bad deal for the Packers. They could catch him when he's healthy and ready to regain a footing with his career. I'm sure he didn't totally forget how to play QB. He's just been in two bad situations in a row. He could do much better on a team like the Packers. They surely need an insurance policy for Rodgers, plus when/if they draft a QB, they won't have to depend on him to be anything right away. They can let him develop.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
We're talking about a backup QB who could easily get beat out in camp by other bodies they bring in. Non-story.

Ok, that logic works for me.

Zool
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I still dont like it or him. I REALLY dont want to see him in a Packer jersey. Its not quite as bad as McMahon, but its close. I'm not talking about his football ability, I just really don't want to see someone from the Vikes or the Bears in a Packer uni.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2008, 09:32 AM

thats just it

he's NOT a good teammate

Why do people think this? His teammates absolutely loved him in Minnesota. He's a great teammate. His negatives are that 1) he fumbles too much, 2) he isn't the sharpest QB out there, and 3) his knee may have effectively ended his career.

If he's healthy, he certainly would be one of the better backup QBs in the league. He's better than most of the backup QBs that have gotten signed this offseason.

Rastak
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I still dont like it or him. I REALLY dont want to see him in a Packer jersey. Its not quite as bad as McMahon, but its close. I'm not talking about his football ability, I just really don't want to see someone from the Vikes or the Bears in a Packer uni.

There is ample precedent. There's been plenty of former Vikings playing for Green Bay. Hell, what was all that Moss love earlier from folks?

Just think, Daunte can get his roll on in GB!

Rastak
04-24-2008, 09:34 AM

thats just it

he's NOT a good teammate

Why do people think this? His teammates absolutely loved him in Minnesota. He's a great teammate. His negatives are that 1) he fumbles too much, 2) he isn't the sharpest QB out there, and 3) his knee may have effectively ended his career.

If he's healthy, he certainly would be one of the better backup QBs in the league. He's better than most of the backup QBs that have gotten signed this offseason.

Harv is right on this. He was quite popular and is a pretty good guy. He just kind of turned into a nutcase after he had so much success in 2004. He's fine for a backup but I wouldn't want him as my starter for too many games.

KYPack
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't particularly like the guy, either.

but..

3 Pro bowls. I don't care if he threw to 5 HOF receivers, he has QB skills.

He's only 30. He had one of the greatest seasons in NFL history when he last played regularly. Then he got hurt & Minn ran him off. Then he made a variety of stupid moves and went to 2 terrible QB situations. He also tried to come back way too early at Mia.

Check out his 2004 line:

ProBowl(*), 1st-team All-Pro(+),
Year Age Tm Pos G GS Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng
2004* 27 MIN QB 16 16 379 548 69.2 4717 39 7.1 11 2.0 82 8.6 8.4 12.4

That's one of the greatest QB lines in NFL history. He's now healed up. He's as good as you can get off the waiver wire.

Yes, he's no genius, but he's an NFL vet QB.

We need one of them guys.

Zool
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM

There is ample precedent. There's been plenty of former Vikings playing for Green Bay. Hell, what was all that Moss love earlier from folks?

I NEVER want to see him gettin his roll on in a Packer uni. You can count me in the didnt want Moss side too. I've been trying to come up with former Vikings who join the Packers and I'm not coming up with anything.

MadScientist
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

I NEVER want to see him gettin his roll on in a Packer uni. You can count me in the didnt want Moss side too. I've been trying to come up with former Vikings who join the Packers and I'm not coming up with anything.
Gilbert Brown

Zool
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
There ya go. Good call. Have there been any players who did anything for the Vikes then left to GB?

Bossman641
04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
The sight of Daunte getting his roll on in a Packers jersey would honestly make me puke.

I'm getting flashacks to him doing his stupid dance and that fuckin horn that would go off all the time.

Guiness
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
There ya go. Good call. Have there been any players who did anything for the Vikes then left to GB?

Can't think of any. Only player of any note who went from the Vikes to the Pack is Gilbert Brown. Only bit player I know if is (how could you forget!) Ben Steele.

But I can't think of anyone who had a career in both places, or even that had a career in Minnesota then came to the Pack.

KYPack
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Can't think of any. Only player of any note who went from the Vikes to the Pack is Gilbert Brown. Only bit player I know if is (how could you forget!) Ben Steele.

But I can't think of anyone who had a career in both places, or even that had a career in Minnesota then came to the Pack.

Dave Roller

A pretty good DT who played for us in the "wilderness 70's". He left the Pack & played at a lesser level for the Queens for a couple seasons.

You guys are right, it doesn't happen much.

Tarlam!
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd take Culpepper in a minute. The dude can play and any way you slice it, A-Rod is not enough. We need some insurance.

Gunakor
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I'd trust Culpepper as the #2 over any rookie we'd draft. He's a veteran with starting experience, and knows NFC North opponents better than anyone else we could get. Even if he struggled without a vertical threat like Randy Moss, we can't overlook the fact that we have a pretty good vertical threat ourselves in Greg Jennings. I'm almost certain that he could get it done if called upon.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/04/24/on-culpepper-taylor-and-allen.aspx

Bedard hates the idea of Culpepper going to Green Bay. Thinks it's a terrible match. I can't argue with that, but there aren't many backup QBs with more talent. Hell, Mike McCarthy made Aaron Brooks into a decent, and sometimes solid, starter in New Orleans. Maybe he could work his magic again.

Bedard also thinks that Miami is definitely shopping Taylor, and they'd be delusional to think they can get a 1st round pick for a guy who may play one or two more years. He's gone Hollywood. Personally, I'd hesitate to even give up a 2nd round pick for him. A 1st round pick? No way.

He also has an interesting take on the Jared Allen deal, and how it either works out or fails miserably. He pointed out how there really isn't a lot of protection in the deal--because the Vikings lose the draft picks and they are only protects the Vikings a lot financially if Allen gets suspended within the next year. If he gets into trouble after that, they will have lost the draft picks and taken a cap hit on a guy who only worked out for a couple of years. If it doesn't work out, it will have a rippling effect for years to come.

Green Bud Packer
04-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Dave Roller

A pretty good DT who played for us in the "wilderness 70's". He left the Pack & played at a lesser level for the Queens for a couple seasons.

You guys are right, it doesn't happen much.

Jeff Brady went from the Pack to the Queens.He always came up with big games against the Pack

I say no to Culpepper. Not the guy I want mentoring Rodgers

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I will admit that Culpepper isn't the perfect fit for Green Bay...but he isn't supposed to be a long term solution. He is merely an insurance policy. Culpepper can make all the throws, and I completely disagree that Culpepper is merely a "chuck it deep" QB. Did Bedard ever watch Culpepper at Central Florida? Did he ever watch while Culpepper was posting a nearly 70% completion rate in 2004?

Sure, his hands could be an issue in the cold. I saw Culpepper roll our ass in Lambeau during the playoffs though...maybe Bedard missed that too. Culpepper, in terms of raw talent, is still one of the top 15 QBs in the NFL IMO. Put him on a team with some offensive talent, and he will still post some numbers.

If he is willing to come in and fight for the #2 spot, I'm more than willing to let him do so.

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Culpepper won't be mentoring anyone. Favre was the guy who mentored Rodgers. No veteran we bring in will mentor Rodgers...Rodgers knows 10 times more about the offense and our players than any veteran we will bring in.

A veteran #2 will be brought in simply as INSURANCE...not as a mentor or someone who can tuck Rodgers in at night. Rodgers is the man now...the mentoring he will get will come on the field now.

Rastak
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/04/24/on-culpepper-taylor-and-allen.aspx

He also has an interesting take on the Jared Allen deal, and how it either works out or fails miserably. He pointed out how there really isn't a lot of protection in the deal--because the Vikings lose the draft picks and they are only protects the Vikings a lot financially if Allen gets suspended within the next year. If he gets into trouble after that, they will have lost the draft picks and taken a cap hit on a guy who only worked out for a couple of years. If it doesn't work out, it will have a rippling effect for years to come.

He figured that about out the picks all on his own? LOL.....The money shouldn't cripple them but the draft picks would hurt. I hardly think it's crippling. If a team missed on a 1st and and 2 3rd round picks they are now crippled? If a team misses on their top 3 picks are they now screwed for years? No, it hurts but it doesn't kill you. People sure try real real hard to paint a gloomy horrible future but even worst case it isn't end of the world stuff. It would be a big setback, hardly a franchise ending event.

I say it's all a bunch of fear mongering. I would use the term setback

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
He figured that about out the picks all on his own? LOL.....The money shouldn't cripple them but the draft picks would hurt. I hardly think it's crippling. If a team missed on a 1st and and 2 3rd round picks they are now crippled? If a team misses on their top 3 picks are they now screwed for years? No, it hurts but it doesn't kill you. People sure try real real hard to paint a gloomy horrible future but even worst case it isn't end of the world stuff. It would be a big setback, hardly a franchise ending event.

Yep, we're all fearful of the Vikings. It's Super Bowl homeboy for the Vikes again. You can go to KFAN if you want to read universal praise of this move. I think there's tremendous risk with this move. We'll see how it pans out.

There's only been one player that the Vikings have had that made me "fearful." That was Randy Moss. How "fearful" did Brett Favre make you? I'm not "fearful" of Jared Allen. Chad Clifton didn't have much trouble with Allen, and the Packers didn't even have to double Allen much. If the Vikings found a QB to complement Peterson, I might be "fearful" of him.

The Vikings got an Aaron Kampman for a 1st, two 3rds, and a boatload of cash. A high risk Aaron Kampman who could get suspended for a year if he makes another mistake. Congratulations! I guess I'm growing tired of the typical Vikings fans response around here to a move like this. At least, I'm expressing my opinions on a Packers board, and not being a troll on a Vikings board. I'm not saying you are a troll, but I wouldn't get too bent out of shape because I don't like the move all that much. I've been wrong before, but it smacks of complete desperation to me.

See the Vikings 2005 draft to see how a bad draft can set a franchise back.

Zool
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
You could also see the 2004, 2002, 2001 and 2000 draft.

Green Bud Packer
04-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Culpepper won't be mentoring anyone. Favre was the guy who mentored Rodgers. No veteran we bring in will mentor Rodgers...Rodgers knows 10 times more about the offense and our players than any veteran we will bring in.

A veteran #2 will be brought in simply as INSURANCE...not as a mentor or someone who can tuck Rodgers in at night. Rodgers is the man now...the mentoring he will get will come on the field now.

Rodgers is still in diapers as a starting Q.B. He will need a vet who he can go to for advice

DonHutson
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
People sure try real real hard to paint a gloomy horrible future but even worst case it isn't end of the world stuff. It would be a big setback, hardly a franchise ending event.

Yeah, when the Vikings end their franchise they're going to do it the old-fashioned way - by failing to get a stadium built.

Rastak
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Yep, we're all fearful of the Vikings. It's Super Bowl homeboy for the Vikes again. You can go to KFAN if you want to read universal praise of this move. I think there's tremendous risk with this move. We'll see how it pans out.

There's only been one player that the Vikings have had that made me "fearful." That was Randy Moss. How "fearful" did Brett Favre make you? I'm not "fearful" of Jared Allen. Chad Clifton didn't have much trouble with Allen, and the Packers didn't even have to double Allen much. If the Vikings found a QB to complement Peterson, I might be "fearful" of him.

The Vikings got an Aaron Kampman for a 1st, two 3rds, and a boatload of cash. A high risk Aaron Kampman who could get suspended for a year if he makes another mistake. Congratulations! I guess I'm growing tired of the typical Vikings fans response around here to a move like this. At least, I'm expressing my opinions on a Packers board, and not being a troll on a Vikings board. I'm not saying you are a troll, but I wouldn't get too bent out of shape because I don't like the move all that much. I've been wrong before, but it smacks of complete desperation to me.

Dude, is it even possible for us to have a simple conversation about an event without all the bullshit? Jeez. Just tell me how YOU feel about the deal. You think it is risky? I agree. Is it you or all the third parties you search out that think it will cripple the franchise? I've given my opnion. I'm not 100% sure what your's is to be honest. I guess if read back through everything it's probably there.

Look, I get the fact you don't like the team. I get the fact you don't like most of the fans. Let's try hard to rise above that and argue, debate or discuss the facts. Let's not worry about what "most Viking fans think" or what "Twin Cities media says". Let's give our opinions on why this is a terrible deal, a great deal or something in between.

Whew....does that make sense?

mngolf19
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM

Dude, is it even possible for us to have a simple conversation about an event without all the bullshit? Jeez. Just tell me how YOU feel about the deal. You think it is risky? I agree. Is it you or all the third parties you search out that think it will cripple the franchise? I've given my opnion. I'm not 100% sure what your's is to be honest. I guess if read back through everything it's probably there.

Look, I get the fact you don't like the team. I get the fact you don't like most of the fans. Let's try hard to rise above that and argue, debate or discuss the facts. Let's not worry about what "most Viking fans think" or what "Twin Cities media says". Let's give our opinions on why this is a terrible deal, a great deal or something in between.

Whew....does that make sense?

Vikes have drafted DE's how many times in the last decade with 1st rd picks. At least 4. James is the closest to actually producing. Now you get a 26 yr old with proven ability and pay him the market value. If the Vikes had traded up to Top 10 from their 17th pick it would have cost the same amount of picks. The contract has $31M guaranteed and payable over 2 years. The first year is protected if he gets suspended, after that you owe him $15.5M so the worst that could happen out of that is you lose $15.5M if you cut him right afterward. It was also a top need for the team. There is risk with every move, even non-moves. This was definitely worth the try and I won't bitch if it doesn't work out. I prefer trying then not trying. (McCombs) And you won't hear expectations for championships out of me. I expect them to improve, nothing more.

red
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
well thats the big problem i see with it.

to me, the queens need a lot more help then just one lineman. they just traded away half their draft to get that one proven guy. as for using those 2 third rounds to move up 7 spots in the first. why in the world would they do that? again, they need more then one player

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Rodgers is still in diapers as a starting Q.B. He will need a vet who he can go to for advice

I think that is what a QB coach is for...but maybe the QB coach actually is just there simply to test Thompson's food in case Tank poisoned it.

If Rodgers has to rely on a veteran for advice at this point, then he shouldn't be our starting QB. The kid has been in the league for 3 full years...most guys are lucky to last that long.

mngolf19
04-24-2008, 12:55 PM
well thats the big problem i see with it.

to me, the queens need a lot more help then just one lineman. they just traded away half their draft to get that one proven guy. as for using those 2 third rounds to move up 7 spots in the first. why in the world would they do that? again, they need more then one player

Red, their only problem on D last year was QB pressure. All other D ills will be fixed by this, assuming he lives up to the expectation. The reason they would have possibly traded up is that the best DE's will likely be gone by their 17th. And they traded away 3 of their 9 picks this year for 1 guy, not half their draft.

Tarlam!
04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, say what you want, but I 4 1 am not discounting the Vikings. These guys are intent on winning today and AP scare the CRAP outta me.

I think we can neglect Da Bears and Da Lions, but those Purple Dudes, no way. They are for real.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
The Vikings still have a very suspect secondary. However, so did the Giants and look how much a dominant pass rush helped them.

mngolf19
04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
The Vikings still have a very suspect secondary. However, so did the Giants and look how much a dominant pass rush helped them.

TPB, with no pressure from the DL they had to blitz all the time to get pressure. Which resulted in them being Top 10 in sacks last year. But that left CB's alone. They will not have to blitz nearly as much now and can do more coverage, that will help dramatically in their performance. Again assuming this works out as they hope.

Fritz
04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Is it just me, or is it every year from February through August the Vikings always win the NFC North?

red
04-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Is it just me, or is it every year from February through August the Vikings always win the NFC North?

very true

i think sharper was suppose to put them over the top one year too

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I seriously doubt Culpepper is "begging for a job". On the other hand, I would hope we could sign him for something near the minimum ........ but I kinda doubt it. If he has even half his old mobility, he has definite value.

I also really don't think he would be "mentoring" Rodgers. He's be more like an insurance policy. As somebody said, getting him would make it more likely we take a "project QB" in the low rounds of the draft.

As I read this talk about the Vikings, you know what I was thinking? If I was Culpepper, I'd be shopping my services to my old team--which could really use a good QB.

Rastak
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I seriously doubt Culpepper is "begging for a job". On the other hand, I would hope we could sign him for something near the minimum ........ but I kinda doubt it. If he has even half his old mobility, he has definite value.

I also really don't think he would be "mentoring" Rodgers. He's be more like an insurance policy. As somebody said, getting him would make it more likely we take a "project QB" in the low rounds of the draft.

As I read this talk about the Vikings, you know what I was thinking? If I was Culpepper, I'd be shopping my services to my old team--which could really use a good QB.

True, they could use a good QB which rules him out...... :wink:

Packerarcher
04-24-2008, 11:59 PM
It's going to be hard enough for me to watch the first few games without #4 playing. But if they sign that worthless get your roll on tiny hand no good fumbling Cullpecker I might have to start drinking heavily again. Just seeing him in a Packer uniform would suck. We need a back up because as I have said before Rodgers WILL go down by game 4. But there has to be somebody,anybody better than Cullpecker. Besides I don't think he is Packer people.

Guiness
04-25-2008, 03:36 AM
True, they could use a good QB which rules him out...... :wink:

:rs:

lol at the truth of the original statement though...he would probably be more useful in Minnesota than anywhere else. The 'O' hasn't changed that much. Ahh, but for burned bridges...

Dabaddestbear
04-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The thought of Culppeper playing in GB during slushy and winter conditions in GB home games makes any rival fan smile.
The man could barely hold on to the ball when he was in a dome. do anyone have any idea how bad he will be with a slippery ball? His hands are just too small.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
The thought of Culppeper playing in GB during slushy and winter conditions in GB home games makes any rival fan smile.
The man could barely hold on to the ball when he was in a dome. do anyone have any idea how bad he will be with a slippery ball? His hands are just too small.

Sounds like an apt description of the Bears starting QB.

Badgerinmaine
04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Quinn Gray?

Indeed.

Quinn Gray has signed with Houston.

As for Culpepper, I think not signing him purely because he used to play for the Vikings is silly. If anything, it's an advantage because he's played lots of games in the stadiums, including Lambeau, where the Packers play every year.I always feared him hen he was in Minnesota--partly because they had Moss then too--and I would welcome him in Green Bay. My bigger concern is whether his downfield style fits in with the Packers.

I haven't heard about Byron Leftwich signing anywhere. I know he's gotten beaten up pretty badly the last couple of years and did not look good in Atlanta, but is he really that washed up that he's not worth a look?

DonHutson
04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
do anyone have any idea how bad he will be with a slippery ball?

When he's in the postgame shower anyway.

:shock:

Dabaddestbear
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Well unlike Culppeper he has shown he can win in GB.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Well unlike Culppeper he has shown he can win in GB.

Well, Culpepper did win a playoff game in Green Bay. Too bad Sexy Rexy isn't likely to lead the Bears to the playoffs.