PDA

View Full Version : The Draft Is Too Long

CaliforniaCheez
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
The Draft doesn't start until 3 pm EDT!! Then only 2 rounds on Saturday. What a waste!!

Why not start at 9 am EDT?? That's only 6 am on the West Coast.

They could still do the third round on Saturday. The third round even with compensatory picks can be done in 3 hours (5 mins/pick).

1st round plus preliminary remarks 5.5 hours maximum.

2nd round 3.75 hours

3rd round 3 hours.

That's 12.25 hours and the networks run a half hour wrap up show. Draft coverage could be done by 10 pm EDT or 7 pm PDT.

The second day if started at 10 am EDT on Sunday the 158 picks of the 4-7 round could be done in 13 hours and be complete by 11 pm EDT.

Now with 5 rounds, Sunday's picks will take almost 16 hours. The picks will happen so fast the television coverage will be bad on Sunday.

Wait until Monday for analysis of the Packer picks.

oregonpackfan
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I believe they did shorten the time span teams are allowed between picks.

As far as starting as late as 3 p.m. EST, I think they are looking for viewership.

I do agree with you they probably could get in 3 rounds on Saturday.

ND72
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
you gotta remember that ESPN has made the NFL draft somethign to watch. ESPN is primarily responsible for the hours (in my opinion). I would be more than OK if each pick was 8 minutes long, and we did pretty much all rounds in one day or something. Of course I miss the days on ESPN when a team would pick someone, and they would actually show highlights of that player, especially the guys we don't know.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 05:48 PM
The Draft doesn't start until 3 pm EDT!! Then only 2 rounds on Saturday. What a waste!!

Why not start at 9 am EDT??

Are you crazy!?!? Do you know what time Kiper's hair stylist would have to get up if they started that early?

cpk1994
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Why not start at 9 am EDT??

Are you crazy!?!? Do you know what time Kiper's hair stylist would have to get up if they started that early?Don't worry, she has all day on Friday to style his toop while it sits on the mannequin head.

CaliforniaCheez
04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
1) How many of you watch the whole draft??

2) What do you do for the 5 hours from the start of the draft until the Packers pick?? Then 3 hours until the Packers next pick?

3) At least the draft starts for me at noon. You Wisconsin folks have to wait or do something else until 2 pm!!

4) Will the vikings get their card in on time when they finally draft?

Fritz
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
It was agonizingly long to wait the fifteen minutes between picks. Ten will be better but still too much.

ND72
04-25-2008, 09:28 AM
1) How many of you watch the whole draft??

2) What do you do for the 5 hours from the start of the draft until the Packers pick?? Then 3 hours until the Packers next pick?

3) At least the draft starts for me at noon. You Wisconsin folks have to wait or do something else until 2 pm!!

4) Will the vikings get their card in on time when they finally draft?

1. I do

2. The draft is a great weekend for me. I see my college buddies as we throw our draft parties. So there is lots of catching up, especially now that 2 of them have kids, but also it's a great weekend of football talk for all of us.

3. It starts at 11 for me, that's when we start our cooking out.

4. They'll have a while to have that card prepared this year.