PDA

View Full Version : BJ Sander

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Fugg'n Sherman.

I needed to vent. Thank you.

red
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
WORST DECISION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billy_oliver880
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I thought for a second that some team and signed him. I forgot Sherman isn't in the nfl ranks anymore. :lol:

hurleyfan
04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought for a second that some team and signed him. I forgot Sherman isn't in the nfl ranks anymore. :lol:

Can Shermie bring him to the college game??

He may be able to hold his own ...

What a crappy draft pick he was :evil:

Joemailman
04-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Huh? Wasn't that the same year they drafted Ahmad Carroll in the 1st round? Drafting BJ sucked (get it?), but Carroll was more damaging.

RashanGary
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Fudge You Sherm-head.

Pear shaped loser :)

red
04-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Huh? Wasn't that the same year they drafted Ahmad Carroll in the 1st round? Drafting BJ sucked (get it?), but Carroll was more damaging.

i think that the fact that he traded up to draft BJ is what made it so mind numbing

we still had hope at the time when we drafted carroll. BJ was one of those WTF is he thinking moments

Bretsky
04-23-2008, 07:57 PM

How about Trading Matt Hasslebeck and pick #17 (OT Chris Macintosh) for Pick #10 (Jamal Reynolds) and a 3rd rounder (Torrence Marshall)

Scott Campbell
04-23-2008, 08:08 PM

How about Trading Matt Hasslebeck and pick #17 (OT Chris Macintosh) for Pick #10 (Jamal Reynolds) and a 3rd rounder (Torrence Marshall)

Ya know, in retrospect that turned out to be a terrible deal. The difference is that everyone knew from the moment BJ's name was announced that this would be one of the more horrific picks in franchise history.

KYPack
04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
We've all slain the PSL for this fugup many times. Well, he desreves it. I always thought they should have taken the GM machine out of his hands based on that move alone. Espec when he kept TWO punters on the roster to justify his screw-up.

Punters hit their prime at age 25 - 27. Most college boys don't have an NFL leg yet, so you don't ever have to draft one, unless he's a Ray Guy type freak.

When you got a great one, keep him. Ron Wolf's biggest screw-up to me was not resigning Craig Hentrich. Craig had special talent. He also could kick-off. You need a guy like that for Dec. games when the winds coming off the bay.

red
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
We've all slain the PSL for this fugup many times. Well, he desreves it. I always thought they should have taken the GM machine out of his hands based on that move alone. Espec when he kept TWO punters on the roster to justify his screw-up.

Punters hit their prime at age 25 - 27. Most college boys don't have an NFL leg yet, so you don't ever have to draft one, unless he's a Ray Guy type freak.

When you got a great one, keep him. Ron Wolf's biggest screw-up to me was not resigning Craig Hentrich. Craig had special talent. He also could kick-off. You need a guy like that for Dec. games when the winds coming off the bay.

good call on all points

but i really like the hentrich comment

i totally agree that that was a big screw up, letting him go

Zool
04-23-2008, 10:57 PM

good call on all points

Him and his unitesticle.

red
04-24-2008, 07:30 AM

good call on all points

Him and his unitesticle.

well, maybe theres something to that

less friction = greater leg speed

Zool
04-24-2008, 08:06 AM
I can see it now. College punters and kickers everywhere getting one of their boys removed.

KYPack
04-24-2008, 08:16 AM

good call on all points

Him and his unitesticle.

Mono Nut was Josh Bidwell. Both Bidwell and Hentrich are still punting in the league.

BJ (who's initials aren't BJ, BTW) is out of ball. He is entering that 26 - 27 zone when guys do get strong enough to hit the ball with NFL strength. If he doesn't catch on somewhere this season, he's done. I think he's done.

sheepshead
04-24-2008, 08:20 AM
What I recall is all the quotes coming from other war rooms. Basically"what the hell is he doing?"

Zool
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM

good call on all points

Him and his unitesticle.

Mono Nut was Josh Bidwell. Both Bidwell and Hentrich are still punting in the league.

BJ (who's initials aren't BJ, BTW) is out of ball. He is entering that 26 - 27 zone when guys do get strong enough to hit the ball with NFL strength. If he doesn't catch on somewhere this season, he's done. I think he's done.

Ahh crap.

Fritz
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
i thought maybe Sherman had hired him to coach the punters at A & M.

Freak Out
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Brutal thread you masochistic fuck Campbell. :lol:

the_idle_threat
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Chris McIntosh was the 22nd pick in the 2000 draft. Our #17 pick in 2001 was spent on some schlub named Steve Hutchinson.

This means that Ted Thompson (working for Seattle at the time) fleeced our team for Matt Hasselbeck and Steve Hutchinson, and in return we got Jamal Reynolds and Torrance Marshall. I'm glad TT's on our side now.

StPaulPackFan
04-25-2008, 09:02 PM

I second that! :)

As far as BJ, hindsight is always 20-20. Our punting at the time was brutal. However, this is a great example of why a GM should pick the BPA, rather than reaching for a player at a position of need.

red
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM

I second that! :)

As far as BJ, hindsight is always 20-20. Our punting at the time was brutal. However, this is a great example of why a GM should pick the BPA, rather than reaching for a player at a position of need.

you don't draft a punter IMO, ever

if you want a rookie punter you wait to pick one up after the draft. a guy that only averaged .25 yards less then the one punter that was drafted and considered the best punter in the country

to me, theres never a good reason to draft a punter

Lurker64
04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
you don't draft a punter IMO, ever

Occasionally you get a freak out of college like Ray Guy who's worth a draft pick, but as a rule of thumb you don't draft the best punter out of college just because he's the best punter. You only draft a punter if he's got some amazing freakish leg and he's a good value at that point. Other positions you sometimes draft because "he's a highly rated player at position x" but seldom, if ever, punter.

Drafting the highest rated punter is what gets you B.J. Sander.

red
04-25-2008, 10:44 PM

exactly, and he was replaced by an undrafted guy

who will probably be replaced by another undrafted guy

Scott Campbell
04-25-2008, 11:34 PM
As far as BJ, hindsight is always 20-20.

Hindsight? HINDSIGHT????

The lynch mob formed nanoseconds after the pick was announced.

Scott Campbell
04-25-2008, 11:35 PM

You may be right, because I do feel better.

StPaulPackFan
04-26-2008, 07:53 AM

Hindsight? HINDSIGHT????

Trust me, I'm not defending the pick. Even with my limited draft knowledge I thought the pick came out of left field.

Even though most people laughed/screamed at the pick, Sherman didn't appear to gain that hindsight so quickly. If Thompson hadn't replaced Sherman I would bet that BJ would have lasted 2 years rather than 1. Maybe more. :?

Scott Campbell
04-26-2008, 09:38 AM

Hindsight? HINDSIGHT????

Trust me, I'm not defending the pick. Even with my limited draft knowledge I thought the pick came out of left field.

Even though most people laughed/screamed at the pick, Sherman didn't appear to gain that hindsight so quickly. If Thompson hadn't replaced Sherman I would bet that BJ would have lasted 2 years rather than 1. Maybe more. :?

Agreed.

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

exactly, and he was replaced by an undrafted guy

who will probably be replaced by another undrafted guy

I could see the Packers taking Dragosevich the punter out of North Dakota in the 7th if the's there. We certainly didn't need a kicker last year and Thompson took Crosby to replace a serviceable Rayner. I wouldn't be at all worried about this either since unlike Sherman, I imagine if the punter Thompson drafts shows he doesn't have it Thompson wouldn't be afraid to cut him loose. At the very least he wouldn't be afraid of stashing the guy on the practice squad, unlike Sherman who jealously guarded Sander, for some reason...

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I still remember the "we got the best CB on our board" and "we got the best punter on our board"

Well Mike, what about the rest of the board. Don't tell me you crossed them all off and narrowed your board downt to just CB's. How many other players did your scouts rate higher.

Taht was his biggest mistake. Good scouts, bad decision maker.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, there's no sense in getting the best corner on your board if the best defensive end on your board is rated light-years higher than your best cb. So you don't take the DE cuz you don't "need" one...?

BPA baby.