PDA

View Full Version : this could be embarassing - Rolling Stones movie

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm going to see "Shine a Light" tonight. The reason is that I saw an infomercial for it on late night TV Monday and thought it looked OK. I'm going with a college kid who likes classic rock.

Those guys are 60+ years old, and the thing is they look much older. I wonder if this is going to be stupid and embarassing, or if I'm really going to get into it. The college kid is unable to obtain any dope for us on short notice, so this is gonna be strictly margarita fueled - probably a mistake.

red
04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
is the college chick hot and/or easy?

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM

umm, she's sweet.

red
04-23-2008, 06:18 PM

umm, she's sweet.

is your daughter hot and/or single?

MadtownPacker
04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
is the college chick hot and/or easy?Moron, HH wouldn't hang out with a female unless she is a dyke. This is obviously his latest cub.

BallHawk
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Got good reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shine_a_light/

It's Scorsese, you can't go wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
is the college chick hot and/or easy?Moron, HH wouldn't hang out with a female unless she is a dyke. This is obviously his latest cub.

actually, good call. just a lucky guess.

Harlan Huckleby
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Got good reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shine_a_light/

It's Scorsese, you can't go wrong.

I've never been to a RS concert. But I think they are very talented musicians, which is why they endured. My favortite RS album is Beggars Banquet, they have great touch as folkies.

oregonpackfan
04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I find it amazing that all of the RS members have lasted into their 60's with the drugs, lifestyle choices, etc.

Sometimes I think the drummer has died and they just substituted an android to take his place. :)

BallHawk
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Sometimes I think the drummer has died and they just substituted an android to take his place. :)

The Beatles did it much better. They got a real person to take the place of their lead singer.....

http://beatlesnumber9.com/hoax.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I find it amazing that all of the RS members have lasted into their 60's with the drugs, lifestyle choices, etc.

All the RS members haven't lasted....Brian Jones is dead. Ian Stewart died.

Freak Out
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I heard an interview with Scorsese and it sounds like a fascinating movie. It shows clearly just how much control and business smarts Jagger has.

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
The concert had some great moments. I tend to judge performances by the highs.

It was a baby boomer wet dream. The musicians that play with Jagger-Richards-Watts are famous from 70's bands. Chuck Leavel from Allman Brothers on piano, Blondie Chapman from Byrds & Doobie Bros. on rhythm guitar, Ronnie Wood from the Faces, altho guess he counts as stoner now. etc.

The two best songs were ones with guest artists. A duet with Jack White on "Loving Cup" was great. Plus a blues jam with Buddy Guy hit 11.

Movie starts slow with Dancing with Stars backstage moments, then a lame opening Jumping Jack Flash. But it gets better.

The Stones are weakest on their new songs - the ones from only 20 years ago - because you can't reproduce that 80's, heavily produced sound live. The songs from Exile on Mainstreet were the best, they had the backup singers and horn section to bring the soul.

I would like to have heard more jamming, it had a bit of a cropped, Las Vegas show feel with solos limited to tasteful riffs. They never totally cut loose like you know they could. But hell, it was entertaining.

red
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
The two best songs were ones with guest artists. A duet with Jack White on "Loving Cup" was great. Plus a blues jam with Buddy Guy hit 11.

jack white is a great musician that most of you older folks just don't know yet

he did a great song with loretta lynn a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHAX4z4sLg

Harlan Huckleby
04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
jack white is a great musician that most of you older folks just don't know yet

"folks" :evil:

Curtis Mayfield is a great musician that most of you fledglings just don't know about yet.