PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Paup : new member of Packer board

motife
06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=430119&format=print

"The board also approved the nomination of four candidates, including Jones, to replace directors who have reached the mandatory retirement age.

In addition to Schneider, the other retiring directors are C. Patricia LaViolette, Leo J. Scherer and Edward A. Thompson. The four candidates are Beverly A. French, a Green Bay advertising executive; Jones; Thomas L.Olson, former president and CEO of U.S. Paper Mills in Green Bay; and former Packers linebacker Bryce Paup."

Update : Evidently he was voted on the board.

Scott Campbell
06-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Outstanding. That's the kind of thing I'd be telling the free agents, though I suppose many of them aren't that forward looking.

pbmax
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Not that forward looking Scott, but what a great motivational tool for McCarthy.

"I've got Members of the Board who can hit harder than that!"

"They have more sacks too!"

"The only way you'll get an MVP is to steal the one in the Board Room!"

motife
06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
press conference with Bryce Paup, who by the way is a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa!!

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/packers/demand/PressConferences

Guiness
06-01-2006, 11:31 PM
"I've got Members of the Board who can hit harder than that!"

LOL!

gureski
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm a little lost...

What credentials does Paup have to be on the board? I guess, I'm asking why he was a candidate? What does he bring to the table? It seems odd to me. It's nice to hear his name and all but he spent his life playing football while others spent their lives running businesses and such. I would think there would've been other more qualified candidates for such an esteemed position.

The first reaction is...that's cool. But then after you think about it...it doesn't make sense for Paup to be on the board.

The Leaper
06-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Most professional athletes run businesses on the side...especially after they retire. It takes cash to develop and run a business...and many NFL players have access to cash that most of the rest of us do not. I would assume Paup has credible business credentials...giving him plenty of business acumen to be worthy of a spot on the board of an NFL team. Besides, his knowledge of the sport far exceeds that of most other professionals in the world of business...and would be an advantage.

FavreChild
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Paup and his family have lived in GB since 1996, even when he was playing with other teams. He has been running a home-constuction company there with his brother-in-law for several years.

So he has been a community member and businessman for quite awhile.

FavreChild
06-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Here's what Paup had to say back in 2002 when he retired as a Packer:

http://www2.jsonline.com:80/packer/news/aug02/63952.asp

Green Bay plans to grant Paup's wish

Former linebacker will formally retire a Packer

By BOB McGINN
of the Journal Sentinel staff

Last Updated: Aug. 3, 2002

Green Bay - Bryce Paup would like to formally retire as a member of the Green Bay Packers, and the team intends to let him have his wish.

Paup made his request to Reggie McKenzie, the club's director of pro personnel, during the spring. McKenzie has checked with coach Mike Sherman and received approval.

"(Sherman) won't have any problem with that but he doesn't want to do anything like that unless it's in the off-season," McKenzie said. "We'd sign him and cut him the next day. Coach wants to have the right time."

Paup, 34, has seen two of his former teammates in Buffalo, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed, re-sign with the Bills in order to retire after their careers petered out in other places.

"It's just to let people know that, 'Hey, I didn't want to go. I loved playing here,' " Paup said. "The Packers gave me the chance to play in the NFL. They treated me well. I always thought I was going to be a Packer because when I first started in the NFL there was no free agency. But things change."

The Packers' sixth-round draft choice from Northern Iowa in 1990, Paup played five seasons in Green Bay, including the last three as a starting linebacker. As an 18-game starter in '94, he had 9 1/2 sacks, four interceptions, 100 tackles, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

He was rewarded with the first of his four berths in the Pro Bowl.

The Packers drew a financial line on how much they would pay to keep Paup. When the Bills offered Paup a three-year deal worth $7.6 million ($3.3 million signing bonus), the Packers lost him.

"One thing I really didn't like is I wanted to be here when they won it again," Paup said. "I had a feeling that that staff was going to win it, but it was out of my hands. Oh, well."

In Buffalo, Paup led the league in sacks with 17 1/2 in 1995 and was named Associated Press defensive player of the year. He left Buffalo in February 1998 to sign a five-year, $22 million ($6 million signing bonus) contract with Jacksonville.

The Jaguars released Paup in June 2000. Signed by Minnesota four days later, he had two sacks in 10 games for the Vikings. He was out of football in 2001.

Paup's final game was the Vikings' loss in the NFC Championship Game; the previous season, the Jaguars lost in the AFC Championship Game. He missed the Bills' Super Bowl run by two years and the Packers' Super Bowl title by two years.

Paup, wife Denise and their four children live on a 71/2-acre spread just outside De Pere. They moved to Buffalo for one year but have lived in Green Bay since 1996. Paup recently started a home-building construction company with his brother-in-law.

"If the Packers don't want me in the building or anything like that, that doesn't matter to me," Paup said. "I don't need a big fanfare. I'm living in town and would like to retire as a Packer.

"People look at me kind of funny sometimes. They say, 'I should know you, your face is familiar.' I say, 'Oh, really,' and just keep walking. I could kind of care less.

"Green Bay's a big town but it's not too big. I got a nice church and found a nice school for my kids. It's just a nice place to live."