PDA

View Full Version : My Mock Draft (comment please)

Pacopete4
04-24-2008, 02:19 AM
1st RD to Miami for Taylor and we get a 7th
(him and Kampy would have a field day)

2nd RD Chris Johnson RB ECU
(a back that fits our system and can return kicks)

2nd RD Jerimichael Finley TE Texas
(Very talented receiving TE that needs help with blocking)

3rd RD Pat Sims DT Auburn
(dudes a monster and athletic)

4th RD Erik Ainge QB Tenn
(smart QB, big hands, nice arm, played tough competition a lot)

4th RD Antwaun Molden CB E. Kent
OR DeJaun Morgan S NC St.
(both unpolished but both very athletic. Molden big and could bump and run while Morgan is the centerfielder we're missing while being very smart and a sure tackler)

5th RD Owen Schmitt FB West Virginia
(we need this beast on our team, dont care how, hes a stud ST and FB)

(2) 7th RD's Oline pickups hopefully a T and a G
(need to find guys who fit our scheme and that we can develope for when our 2 old tackles start going downhill in 2009)

I realize this is all what u want, but I think it gets everyone of our needs.

Lurker64
04-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Miami's not going to give up Taylor for the 30th overall pick. This isn't Madden.

packrulz
04-24-2008, 05:16 AM
I like Johnson & Finley.

red
04-24-2008, 07:04 AM
i wouldn't want to give up #30 for taylor. he's 33 already

guys maybe only got 1 or 2 good years left

i'll take the young guy

and to lurker, yes, miami probably would take #30. its looking like they'll take a 2nd rounder. this guys 33, not 26 like allen is

huge difference

i think if we take molden we should still draft another CB thats a bit more polished, just in case molden doesn't figure it out. maybe the other guy will

i would want a CB over a rb

Rastak
04-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Miami's not going to give up Taylor for the 30th overall pick. This isn't Madden.

Word is they'll give him up for a mid - 1st pick. Maybe TT could package something.

LL2
04-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Word is they'll give him up for a mid - 1st pick. Maybe TT could package something.

At his age I wouldn't give more than one of our 2nd rd picks for him.

Guiness
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
They want a mid-first, eh? Ouch, I can't see them getting that. I'd think they'd be lucky to get a mid second, but more likely to be offered a 3rd.

You just can't count on this guy being around for more than two more years.

Partial
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM

I think you're wrong. I was thinking that was too high. I'm thinking the latter of the two seconds.

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
There is no way that Miami gets a 1st round pick for Taylor. They'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to part with a 2nd round pick for him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2008, 09:30 AM
There is no way that Miami gets a 1st round pick for Taylor. They'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to part with a 2nd round pick for him.

Well, Minnesota still has their 2009 1st round pick, right?
:D

Molden is an interesting name. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News has him as the fastest rising CB. ESPN's Scouts, Inc. had him listed as a late pick or undrafted player, but they did their bios months ago. Gosselin is beat writer who is very good. He's in the Bob McGinn class of beat writers. Seems to know what he's talking about and has a lot of connections. That tells me that Molden might indeed go in the middle rounds.

oregonpackfan
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I too would not give up a 1st round pick for a 33 year old DE.

I would be willing to use a 4th round pick on Erik Ainge but no higher than that round.

DonHutson
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Miami wants a 1st rounder? Hmmm... last month they absolutely weren't going to trade him at all. Expect the price to keep on dropping through the weekend. If the Dolphins really think he'll retire, then they need to take whatever they can get.

Assuming Taylor is only going to play another year or two tops, it would be pretty hard to give up anything higher than a 3rd. If several teams get interested, maybe they get a low second. But if there's several teams bidding the price will be somone else's problem because you know Ted will bail before the end.

Then you have to ask whether Hollywood Jason Taylor even wants to play for Green Bay? Will he pout and threaten to retire because he wants to be in a big market? Better get an answer to that question.

If we can add a third by trading out of the #30 pick, I might dangle that in front of Parcells and see if he bites.

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Then you have to ask whether Hollywood Jason Taylor even wants to play for Green Bay? Will he pout and threaten to retire because he wants to be in a big market? Better get an answer to that question.

How many times is Green Bay playing in front of a national audience this year? I'm sure Taylor would have no issues playing for Green Bay, but I'm 95% certain that Thompson wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for him...and I'm 99.9% certain some other NFL team will be willing to offer a higher 3rd rounder than ours for him.

DonHutson
04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
How many times is Green Bay playing in front of a national audience this year?

A valid point, as long as Taylor is smart enough to see it that way.

Another aspect to this is that the Dolphins are likely one of the teams looking to move up for a QB. Granted they'd only be moving up 2 spots in a deal with us, but that two spots could make a big difference if the guy they want is still on the board and we're also offering the pick to teams behind them.

That 2 pick difference by itself won't get us Taylor, but swapping #30 and #32 might make a 3rd round offer for Taylor more palatable if it means the Dolphins are assured of getting the QB they want.

That still might be too rich for Ted to ponder.

Lurker64
04-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I still think, in principle, that including trades for picks or players in a mock draft that is done by one person is poor form. To actually make the trades reasonable, someone else should have to be representing the trade partner and have that team's best interests in mind and agree to the deal. But one person, just listing picks for one team shouldn't include trades.

Pacopete4
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Reggie White was 32 when the packers made the move to get him.. I realize that he is the all time best, but Jason Taylor is a stud in todays game as well.. he might be the best DE player maker in the league... and thats exactly what this defense is missing

Bossman641
04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry, but I don't see Taylor coming to the Packers. There was an article about him in SI a few months ago talking about how he was getting into acting and all this other stuff. Don't remember the exact details, but he seemed way too Hollywood to come to Green Bay. Yea, he'll get exposure during our games but that's it. Don't see it happening.

DonHutson
04-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Reggie White was 32 when the packers made the move to get him.. I realize that he is the all time best, but Jason Taylor is a stud in todays game as well.. he might be the best DE player maker in the league... and thats exactly what this defense is missing

The difference being, Reggie wasn't already talking retirement at that age and we didn't give up any draft picks for him. I don't question Taylor's ability at all. He's always kept himself in great shape. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will dragged off the field kicking and screaming at the age of 40. I don't want to give up too much for a two year rental.

Pacopete4
04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
my question about that comment is if we had him for a 2-3 year rental at as high of a level player he is.. isnt that better than most first rounders every do anyways? I mean think about our first round picks in the last 10 years... he's a better player than any of em

i just wanna say thanks to everyone for their input.. me and my buddies made a mock draft of what we would want to see if we get any right

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I too would not give up a 1st round pick for a 33 year old DE.

I would be willing to use a 4th round pick on Erik Ainge but no higher than that round.

Exactly on both counts.

If you draw a line with Reggie White on one end and KGB on the other, Jason Taylor would be smack dab in the middle.

Pacopete, other than your first round scenario, I like your mock draft--Chris Johnson, especially. I really don't think we need a DT in the 3rd round, but with Corey Williams leaving, Thompson may, and Sims is a good one. Finley would be a good TE to get too.

Schmitt would be good in the 5th too, but no higher.

Pacopete4
04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
ive been hearing that schmitt will go higher.. i just cant see it but i guess who knows