PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS LOOKING TO PICK UP PICKS?

packers11
04-24-2008, 10:10 AM
pft.com

PACKERS LOOKING TO PICK UP PICKS?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2008, 10:22 a.m.
At a time when plenty of teams are rumored to be interested in trading up in the draft, the Green Bay Packers are believed to be hoping to move down, in order to pick up extra picks.

In a draft that is deeper than it is top-heavy, it makes sense to get as many picks as possible. Since the draft is a crapshoot, the prudent approach is to, um, shoot as much crap as you can.

Currently, the Packers hold the 30th overall pick in round one. They might be able to trade down with a team that is hoping to nab a quarterback before teams like the Dolphins, Falcons, and Chiefs are in position to use their second-round selections.

NO WAY... T.T. wants more picks?!?!?!?!? :shock: :lol:

red
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
they always lie on that site

TT is going to trade the whole draft away to move up to #2 so he can draft matt ryan

packers11
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I actually think the packers have very good leverage at #30... ATL/MIAMI/KC/RAVENS could battle it out into who gets the #2 QB and is willing to trade up to #30 to get him....

(Ryan will go to one of the teams above, but for the rest, someone might overpay to get to our spot :) )

red
04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah they are right about someone really wanting that #2 qb

look at atlanta, they might want to jump ahead of miami, they have 3 second round picks. they might give us their 7th pick in round to and their 4th(somewhere around the 5th pick) to move to our spot

kc, might also want to make the same jump

maybe even the ravens, we can get there second #38, and their 4th and another pick

Bossman641
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Yep, this is exactly what I see happening. Hopefully there will be quite a few teams looking to leapfrog each other and move back into the first round.

MTPackerfan
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
If we can trade the 1st rounder into another 2nd and maybe a 3rd that would be alright but man, I hope he doesn't keep trading for more picks. THen there will guys we draft that will get cut in Training camp. Seems like a waste.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
If we can trade the 1st rounder into another 2nd and maybe a 3rd that would be alright but man, I hope he doesn't keep trading for more picks. THen there will guys we draft that will get cut in Training camp. Seems like a waste.

I look at it more as, you probably aren't going to hit on more than 5 picks, and you always have room for 5 good, young players. We have guys that are getting old or the contracts are coming up, and we don't have sure things backing them up. We have solid depth, but it wouldn't hurt to pick up another OT, another OG, another RB, another WR wouldn't hurt, another TE, another DL, another LB, more CBs, another S--and let them battle it out for a roster spot. Competition is good. Sure, we have some potential at those positions, but it's better to have two young guys with potential battling for a roster spot then hoping that the one young guy with potential that you do have becomes a good player.

I say you can never have enough draft picks.

KYPack
04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I actually think the packers have very good leverage at #30... ATL/MIAMI/KC/RAVENS could battle it out into who gets the #2 QB and is willing to trade up to #30 to get him....

(Ryan will go to one of the teams above, but for the rest, someone might overpay to get to our spot :) )

This is true.

Also, the Bears are making noises that they may want a QB with their 2nd pick. Some teams may want to get at the head of the line for the # 2 or #3 QB available. If TT's board is still pretty intact, he'll trade down, you know that shit. I couldn't believe TT would have any trade down leverage at 30, but he just may.

GoPackGo
04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Add the Packers to the list of teams that need a QB. If one of the top QB's is there at #30 we should grab him, not trade the pick away for someone else to grab a QB

DonHutson
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
I've said this in another thread before, but I don't see a huge difference in this draft between the guys projected at #25 and those at #125.

No we need to add a lot of players? No. But is there anyone (even at the top of this draft) that I can really bank on being a good one? No. I think the more picks you have in the 2nd to 4th rounds this year, the happier you'll be in the end.

The best way to ensure youget quality out of this group will be through quantity.

The Leaper
04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree that things could potentially work out in TT's favor if teams picking early in the 2nd round are looking to jump up and grab one of the second tier QBs.

It would be even better if a team in the mid 2nd wanted to move up ahead of the MIA/ATL/KCs of the world. We could net an additional 3rd rounder out of it. 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths. That would be a bonanza for TT.

Lurker64
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, it's better than wanting fewer picks.

Bossman641
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree that things could potentially work out in TT's favor if teams picking early in the 2nd round are looking to jump up and grab one of the second tier QBs.

It would be even better if a team in the mid 2nd wanted to move up ahead of the MIA/ATL/KCs of the world. We could net an additional 3rd rounder out of it. 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths. That would be a bonanza for TT.

I was looking through the second round. About the only mid 2nd round team I could see jumping up would be Carolina. Delhomme has been shaky and Matt Moore isn't a definite #1. I don't really know how aggressive they have been in the past about jumping up. The Bears also have the need, but I doubt we'd do a divisional trade.

Basically all the teams at the top of the 2nd round could use a QB though. The Chiefs definitely have the ammo to move up. It all depends on where Ryan ends up at. The Ravens are said to like him a lot and may try to move up to get him, if not you would have to think they'd want to leapfrog a few teams ahead of them and get a shot at a QB. Looks like there will be a run on QB's early in round 2.

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I've been saying and I continue to say, the Packers will trade UP, not Down, in order to snag one of the 3 really good Corners--Roders-Cromartie, McKelvin, or Jenkins. Those three are head and shoulders ahead of the next level.

I wouldn't rule out Thompson making more out of less with his picks below the first round, though.

Carolina_Packer
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
TT trades down and now has every pick in the 7th round.

Guiness
04-25-2008, 03:30 AM
TT trades down and now has every pick in the 7th round.

I like it! ROFL :lol: at:

With the first pick of the 7th round, the Packers select, from Appalachian State... (ok, this one could happen)

With the second pick of the 7th round, the Packers select, from the McGill University of Montreal...(Hi Woodbuck!)

With teh 31st pick of the 7th round, the Packers select, from the Islamic College of Advance studies...

With the 32nd, and final pick of the 7th round, and the draft, the Packers select, from Central Catholic High school...

We'd all love it!

Fritz
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I see that Guiness has nailed TT exactly here...

But since the vast majority of posters think that Ted will trade down to get more picks, or maybe stay put and grab a QB, then of course that means this is the year he trades up and grabs a player (a QB would piss most people off) that we all shake our heads at.

run pMc
04-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I have no idea what TT will do. Whatever it is, I hope it works out. ;)
I do think there are some teams that may try to trade up into the late 1st round. The most obvious situation is a team who needs a QB but probably won't get Ryan, so they trade up for Flacco or Henne.

woodbuck27
04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
naaaww! TT wouldn't trade down would he?

Ohh wait. . . :D

Fritz
04-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Let's see - he could draft three offensive tackles in the first three picks he has and really piss everyone off.

Or when say the top-rated corner in the draft has slipped to #30, TT could anger everyone by passing on the guy and taking a defensive tackle from Davidson University.

Go TT go!

red
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Or when say the top-rated corner in the draft has slipped to #30, TT could anger everyone by passing on the guy and taking a defensive tackle from Davidson University.

Go TT go!

i fear that the most

its happened before, i can see it happen again

Scott Campbell
04-25-2008, 05:02 PM
All it takes is for one Shermanesque sucker to overpay for the 30 pick, and I'm sure Ted would bite. God, what I'd pay to watch him work his draft board.