PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Pro Bowl running back!

Patler
06-01-2006, 07:40 PM
OK so it was a few years ago that he was in the pro bowl, and they only signed him so that he could retire a Packer, but they did resign Dorsey Levens today.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Leavens deserves to be in the Packers HOF, along with Antionio Freeman and Bill Schroeder.

hurleyfan
06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
For real Sham?!?!

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
source?

Patler
06-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Source:

JSOnline "Breaking News"

THURSDAY, June 1, 2006, 5:54 p.m.
By Todd Rosiak
Packers sign Levens; RB plans to retire

Green Bay - In a symbolic move, the Green Bay Packers on Thursday signed former Pro Bowl running back Dorsey Levens so that he can officially retire Friday a member of the team with which he began his National Football League career.

General manager Ted Thompson confirmed the transaction late Thursday afternoon through a team spokesman.

A fifth-round pick in 1994 by then-general manager Ron Wolf, Levens went on to play eight seasons for the Packers. In those eight seasons, Levens rushed 1,006 times for 3,927 yards and 28 touchdowns and caught 271 passes for 2079 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Levens' best season came in 1997, when he rushed 329 times for 1,435 yards and seven touchdowns and caught 53 passes for 370 yards and five touchdowns.

Levens also played for the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Giants, with his final season coming with the Eagles in 2004.

Joemailman
06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I wonder if TT might try to talk him out of retirement if Davenport gets hurt again.

hurleyfan
06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Cool!

I'll bet the ol "Horse" still got some game!

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Would just be amazing if all of a sudden he decides not to retire and plays for us :lol:

Good move..Dorsey should retire a Packer, and should definitely be a Packer Hall of Famer..

BooHoo
06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Good PR move by the Pack in taking care of former players. He deserved the signing.

Harlan Huckleby
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
with the Packers RB situation, he has an outside shot of making the team!

hurleyfan
06-01-2006, 08:13 PM
How old is he? Hasn't had very much contact the last few years... may still be "young"?

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM
How old is he? Hasn't had very much contact the last few years... may still be "young"?
He turned 36 eleven days ago..

Hey, Favre can play at 36, why can't Dorsey? :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 08:32 PM
The chance of Thompson signing Leavens to the active roster is as good as my chance of having sex with Kaira Knightly.

Levens was available last year after Green and Davenport went on the IR, and thompson did nothing but hibernated. Rumor has it that Gado was discovered by Sherman. Even with Gado, Pack werent able to form a consistent rushing attack. Levens would've helped the Pack...last year.

Bretsky
06-01-2006, 08:34 PM
The chance of Thompson signing Leavens to the active roster is as good as my chance of having sex with Kaira Knightly.

Levens was available last year after Green and Davenport went on the IR, and thompson did nothing but hibernated. Rumor has it that Gado was discovered by Sherman.

Sherman couldn't discover the ocean if he was walking on the beach.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 08:41 PM
[quote=Anti-Polar Bear]

Yet, Sherman, the GM, never led an army into the realm of 4-12.

Joemailman
06-01-2006, 08:43 PM

Levens was available last year after Green and Davenport went on the IR, and thompson did nothing but hibernated. Rumor has it that Gado was discovered by Sherman. Even with Gado, Pack werent able to form a consistent rushing attack. Levens would've helped the Pack...last year.

McKenzie discovered Gado, Tank. Which is one reason why, he, and not Sherman, will likely be a GM soon.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 08:52 PM
McKenzie discovered Gado, Tank. Which is one reason why, he, and not Sherman, will likely be a GM soon.

If Matt Millen and Ted Thompson can be GM, anyone can. However, not all GMs can win 12 games, 10 gms, and 10 gms during his first 3 years. Not Thompson. Not Millen. Definitely not whoever is the Texans' next GM, unless that GM is named Mike Sherman.

Sherman will be coach AND GM again within 2 years. Every one can count on that.

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pacfan
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM

Levens was available last year after Green and Davenport went on the IR, and thompson did nothing but hibernated. Rumor has it that Gado was discovered by Sherman.

Now thats funny!!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-01-2006, 09:44 PM

This year and next year, Sherman need not be anything but an assistant coach. He's getting paid GM/Coach money by the Pack. After this season, I think Sherman will be hired as head coach/ GM of the Chargers, 49ers, or Lions.

Joemailman
06-01-2006, 09:53 PM

I didn't know Sherman had the kind of money it takes to buy a team. :lol:

Chubbyhubby
06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
He turned 36 eleven days ago..

Hey, Favre can play at 36, why can't Dorsey? :lol:

Thats sweet! Dorsey was born exactly 1 week after I was!!

Badgepack
06-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I will never forget the touchdown catch Levens' made in the NFC Championship game againt Carolina. Unbelievable play by him and Favre.

Partial
06-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I will never forget the touchdown catch Levens' made in the NFC Championship game againt Carolina. Unbelievable play by him and Favre.

here here, I get the exact same image in my head when I think of levens!

Packers4Ever
06-02-2006, 12:14 AM
[quote=Anti-Polar Bear]

Yet, Sherman, the GM, never led an army into the realm of 4-12.

But Sherman the coach did !!!

Fritz
06-02-2006, 06:47 AM
"Yet, Sherman, the GM, never led an army into the realm of 4-12."

Tank, as many, many people have posted and said, it takes a GM a couple of years to pull a team together most of the time, because the previous GM's players are the ones pulling down the salaries (creating the salary cap situation) and thus are on the team for a couple years, until the new guy can move them along and get "his" guys in. Therefore, what you had with Sherman was a coach who had a team given to him by Ron Wolf (how many of Shermie's draft picks, other than Walker, were studs?). What you had last year was a team that Sherman-the-GM was largely responsible for. Not too much talent there.

HarveyWallbangers
06-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Dorsey Levens deserves to be in the Packer Hall of Fame.

MadtownPacker
06-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Classy move by TT. Is this his year to shine or what?

Guiness
06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Never quite understood why he went elsewhere.

I think he was quite willing to accept lesser money and a reduced role. And he was a decent receiver. 2002 is the year Davenport and Fisher came on board, so I guess they just decided to rely on the young guys.

chain_gang
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Great to see he retired as a Packer, he meant a lot to teams run to glory. He was a good runner, plus a great receiver out of the backfield. I remember him making our screen pass a lethal weapon. Give credit to TT for looking back in time and having Levens go out a packer. :smile:

jack's smirking revenge
06-02-2006, 09:48 AM

If Matt Millen and Ted Thompson can be GM, anyone can. However, not all GMs can win 12 games, 10 gms, and 10 gms during his first 3 years. Not Thompson. Not Millen. Definitely not whoever is the Texans' next GM, unless that GM is named Mike Sherman.

Tank, you should really quit school and head down to Houston. I'm sure Sherman could use a PR guy. You're not convicing us of his greatness, but I'm sure you could spin your story to others outside the Packer nation and sound convincing. Perhaps he could use a "Sherman 4 HC" campaign manager....

tyler

Tony Oday
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Sherman was the worste thing to happen to the Pack in the last decade! he did nothing to upgrade the team and didnt listen to a coach since he started because he had all the answers...even though he lost the only playoff home games EVER!!!!

Good pick back guy that cant bring home a SB trophy atleast be original and pine for holmgren.

KYPack
06-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Dorsey Levens deserves to be in the Packer Hall of Fame.

Well Harve, we agree 100% on this one.

I think the fifth leading all-time rusher should be in the Packer Hall of Fame.

Just like the fifth leading all-time passer.

Packers4Ever
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Fantastic idea, Sham! I like your thinking, wouldn't it be great if Dorsey could give us just a year or so?
But then - - I was thinking - - (a dangerous thing) we could take it one step more and pull Edgar B. from the coaching staff just temporarily and we'd have our own dynamic duo !! Think it would work? :smile: