PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch is Northwest, not Alaska

oregonpackfan
04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Perhaps you have watched the Discovery Channel's program "The Deadliest Catch." It follows commercial crab fishing boats in the Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska. It advertises that crab fishing in Alaska may be the most hazardous occupation in the world.

The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health released a report Thursday detailing the hazards of fishing in the Pacific Ocean off the Coast of California, Oregon, and Washington. The report cites fatality rates more than twice as high as the average for Alaska commercial fishermen.

The researcher found out these death rates:

1.07 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen in Alaska

2.38 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen in the Pacific Coast states

1.15 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen nationwide

The physical conditions may actually be worse in the Bering Sea than elsewhere. The article states the lower death rates in Alaska may be the result of proactive measures to reduce deaths such as preseason safety inspections, emergency training, and have emergency gear on the boats.

I have watched about a half dozen episodes of "Deadliest Catch." It is a mesmerizing show.

red
04-25-2008, 10:45 AM
i've seen about every episode of it. its amazing how a show about crap fishing, or cutting down trees(axmen) can somehow hook you and make you crave more

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2008, 11:10 AM
One of the best shows on television. These guys work a month maybe a little more and they make close to 6 figures. Not a bad risk.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
One of the best shows on television. These guys work a month maybe a little more and they make close to 6 figures. Not a bad risk.

What they make a month depends on their catch. I watched a show where one crew had bad luck with a low catch. I can't remember the amount of money but their take home pay was very low compared to several other crews.

Bossman641
04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
One of my favorite shows as well. Those guys work in absolutely miserable conditions, on little to no sleep.

Sure would be nice to work for a month of 2 though and take the rest of the year off.

Freak Out
04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Perhaps you have watched the Discovery Channel's program "The Deadliest Catch." It follows commercial crab fishing boats in the Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska. It advertises that crab fishing in Alaska may be the most hazardous occupation in the world.

The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health released a report Thursday detailing the hazards of fishing in the Pacific Ocean off the Coast of California, Oregon, and Washington. The report cites fatality rates more than twice as high as the average for Alaska commercial fishermen.

The researcher found out these death rates:

1.07 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen in Alaska

2.38 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen in the Pacific Coast states

1.15 deaths per 10,000 full time fishermen nationwide

The physical conditions may actually be worse in the Bering Sea than elsewhere. The article states the lower death rates in Alaska may be the result of proactive measures to reduce deaths such as preseason safety inspections, emergency training, and have emergency gear on the boats.

I have watched about a half dozen episodes of "Deadliest Catch." It is a mesmerizing show.

If those west coasters kept better care of their boats they wouldn't sink so much. Immersion suits anyone?

Jimx29
04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Actually, they are away from home about 8 months a year total, and full deckhands make about 120K per year.

red
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM

What they make a month depends on their catch. I watched a show where one crew had bad luck with a low catch. I can't remember the amount of money but their take home pay was very low compared to several other crews.

christ, was it last year that the time bandit couldn't catch squat. then they saved that guys life, and all of a sudden all their pots were stuffed. they made about as much in one day as i make in two years