PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Mock Draft write up

Chubbyhubby
04-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I was looking at several mock drafts just seeing what people are projecting us to take in the first round. I found this little write up on one of the Mock Draft sites.

The Packers are the other team I believe who have drafted very well in recent years and like the Chargers, Green Bay doesn't have any glaring needs. They're a complete team that has everything resting on the shoulders of Aaron Rodgers. If he performs as well as they think he's capable of, Green Bay should contend for a playoff spot once again. Something I found very interesting was that Packers GM Ted Thompson reportedly left the owners meetings early to go to the USC pro day. By doing that he also skipped out on receiving his executive of the year award. That tells me the Packers have an interest in someone from USC and my guess is it's Sam Baker. Baker kind of fell off the radar for a while there but he's reemerged as a solid late 1st to early 2nd round prospect. Everyone talks about the age of Al Harris and Charles Woodson but Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher aren't much younger. Baker would project as a potential left tackle down the road but could immediately push for a starting job at guard too. Green Bay could look at a corner like Patrick Lee or maybe Fred Davis was that USC player they liked.

http://fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/mock-draft.php?show=1b

LL2
04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
TT didn't leave early. He was sneaking out to meet Harlan in stall number 3 of the men's room, where Harlan was impatiently tapping his toes.

All the speculation will end in about 25 hours. Everyone has the Packers taking a corner or OL. TT doesn't follow conventional thinking and will probably surprise people in the first two rounds like he always does.

Packnut
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
The big surprise everyone seem's to expect, won't be so much the player, but rather fact that Teddy picks a position of need. I say he goes with either a DB or an OL.

If he goes RB, then he's pretty much admitting to blowing our second rounder last season. You don't draft a RB in the second rd and then have him at 3rd string.

At some point you have to start drafting for need. If you don't go corner now, when do you fill the need of replacing 2 starting corners?

Same can be said for OL. No matter what you pick, that player is'nt gonna start so now is the perfect time to start grooming future replacements.

Chubbyhubby
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Your right on the money about no one knows what TT will do in the first round. But if it was reported was true. Maybe just maybe he was scouting John David Booty at USC. I know he not projected a high drart choice. Its been reported on ESPN that JDB that he might either go to the chicago Bears or even the Vikings. Seriously, John David Booty is pretty damn good. Its safe to say that Aaron Rodgers is injury prone and likely to get injured during the season or practice which he did last year. I'd be happy if we pick him up lets say round 3 or round 4. Then I can keep my Avatar! :lol:

Zool
04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
MLB will be the first pick.

Chubbyhubby
04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Terrell Thomas CB USC

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15705

Name: Terrell Thomas
College: Southern Cal Number: 28
Height: 6-1 Weight: 202
Position: CB Pos2: FS/KR
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.39 40 High: 4.57
Projected Round: 2-3 Stock: High: Late 2 Low: Late 4
Rated number 10 out of 241 CB's 72 / 2546 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6004
Weight: 202
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
10 Yrd Dash: 1.45 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: 7.18
No shuttles/choice
Dates: 04/02/08
Height: 6004
Weight: 202
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.24
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Should we pick this guy up?

Thoughts?

ND72
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I have thought for a while now, that if Teddy stays at #30, Sam Baker will be there, and I like Baker a lot.

I'm personally hoping that Teddy does 1 of 2 things at 30, #1, trade down and grab some more picks, and possibly still get #2 Sam Baker no matter what.

I'd like to see Teddy trade down a few picks into round 2, still get Baker, and add another 4th rounder or whatever is offered.

I've brought this up to my buddy last night, not trying to be a homer, but I wouldn't mind in round 3 or early round 4 if he's there, Tom Zbikowski, Safety/Returner Notre Dame. I like him (obviously) a lot. I think he'd fit in even if he's not a starter right away.

My 3 rounds for GB would be

Sam Baker #1
Martellus Bennett #2
Justin King OR Ray Rice #2
Tom Zbikowski #3

b bulldog
04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Wayne Larrivee on WTMJ this morning noted that TT really likes Baker and with his short arms, he could be a Guard.

Bossman641
04-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Something I found very interesting was that Packers GM Ted Thompson reportedly left the owners meetings early to go to the USC pro day. By doing that he also skipped out on receiving his executive of the year award.

I love this part about TT. Shows just how serious he is about scouting. Forget about being humble and shying from the media, he even is that way around other owners.

TT: "Hey guys I gotta use the restroom, I'll be back in a minute"

(TT slowly walks towards the door, then grabs the handle, and makes a dead sprint for the door as Justin Harrell, of our forum, picks him up outside.)

DonHutson
04-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Whatever.

USC has a ton of good players who will be available throughout the weekend. Scouting such players is Ted's job. Maybe he thought doing his job was more important than getting some award.

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
While we probably do need a future OT as much as a Corner, I don't think Baker would be that good. In addition, there isn't much call to have 3 OTs on the field like there is with Corners.

With USC being the powerhouse that it has been the last 3 or 4 years, there is a lot of talent there--several of those players mentioned above who may have fallen this year, as USC, the team dropped off. Fred Davis in the second, Booty in the fourth, their Corner lower down, etc.., going to that pro day was probably a very good decision, rather than sit their with other GMs, etc.

red
04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Wayne Larrivee on WTMJ this morning noted that TT really likes Baker and with his short arms, he could be a Guard.

goddammit, pick a f*cking guard to play guard

red
04-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Whatever.

USC has a ton of good players who will be available throughout the weekend. Scouting such players is Ted's job. Maybe he thought doing his job was more important than getting some award.

yeah, the usc pro day is kind of an important one. lots of pro players there

if you're a gm, you can not miss it