PDA

View Full Version : Did Detroit overpay Verba?

Patler
06-02-2006, 04:44 AM
Should TT have stayed in the bidding for Ross Verba? From the Green Bay Press Gazette:

"Thompson made a run at signing Verba as a likely starter but was unwilling to compete with the guaranteed money in Detroit’s offer. Verba had taken a year off from football because he’d been unable to get the lucrative deal he sought in free agency last year, and he appeared ready to retire from the game.

"The former Packers first-round draft pick is believed to have received a signing bonus in the range of $2 million plus a base salary of about $1 million this year as part of a contract that includes additional years at the Lions’ option."

The $1 million salary is not much more than the minimum for an older veteran. The key is the $2 million signing bonus. That's not a huge bonus either, spread over at least a couple years..

Fritz
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm not decidedly on one side or the other. I see the point that it would be good to have a vet competing for a guard spot, and two mil doesn't sound that steep. On the other hand, Verba's been out of the game for a year, apparently is a prick, and didn't want to play guard when he was here last. So you wonder if you want to toss two mil at the guy for a signing bonus, when you've just emerged from having to pay your spread-out signing bonuses for guys like Cletidus Hunt.

Bretsky
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Verba or not, we should have singed a starting OG in free agency instead of going into a regular season with three open OL positions.

neil38133
06-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Do we really need another nut case?

Bretsky
06-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Maybe he's a changed guy; doubt it though. My wanting to sign Verba was more a reaction to TT's failure to sign a starting OG in the offseason than it was indicating Verba is the answer. I just feel at this point he'd be a huge improvement over Coston, White, or whatever yahoo starts at the OG position. That OL is still our biggest question.

Brandon494
06-02-2006, 08:55 AM
What about that Kendyl Jacox? I don't know if he would fit the blocking scheme but he would certainly add much needed depth to the O-line.

neil38133
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I have concerns about the OL, too. I just think that Verba's help would only be needed for the one year, after that I think TT & Co. will have had a chance to address the OL. And for just one year, I'm not sure he's worth it, considering he could easily be a problem in the locker room.

GrnBay007
06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Welcome to Packer Rats Brandon! If you need help with an avatar or anything just.

motife
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
From Pro Football Talk :

LIONS LAMBASTED FOR PAYING VERBA

League insiders are laughing their asses off in response to reports that the Detroit Lions gave offensive lineman Ross Verba a $2.2 million signing bonus, a $1.8 million base salary for 2006, and a five-year deal worth up to $20 million in total payments.

Said one high-level league insider, "If any of this is true, they should fire every member of that organization."

Verba regarded in most NFL cities as a complete and total turd. Besides, who in the hell were the Lions competing with for his services?

In fairness to the Lions, the deal includes a $2.5 million option bonus payable in 2007, which means that the contract might only be worth, in the end, $4 million over one year. Even then, however, Verba doesn't deserve $4 million for one year of football.

Heck, he doesn't deserve $1 million. Instead, the Lions should have dangled the one-year veteran minimum salary and told Verba to take it, leave it, or get a better deal elsewhere.

Patler
06-03-2006, 08:34 AM
That's a bigger bonus and bigger 1st year salary than GBPG reported. If its true, TT did the right thing.

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Verba or not, we should have singed a starting OG in free agency instead of going into a regular season with three open OL positions.

yep

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 10:58 AM

I think you're dead on. It's asking a lot of this coaching staff to develop 3 guys that weren't considered ready to start last year. Bring in a viable Plan B or two just in case things don't work out.

Tarlam!
06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
It's asking a lot of this coaching staff to develop 3 guys that weren't considered ready to start last year.

That's why we have coaches. That's their job. We have almost as many coaches as players....they need to earn their keep!!!

RashanGary
06-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Clifton - Clifton = Same

Klemm - Colledge = If Colledge beats out Klemm obviously the coaches feel it is a gain

Flanny - Wells = Flanny was injured. I consider this a push

Whittaker - Spitz/Coston/Whitt = If Whitt wins the position it should be better. Whoever beats Whitt was better in camp, so no matter what this looks to be an improved position.

Tausch - Tausch = Tausch looks great. Same here.

By my estimation, none of the positions have gotten worse. Sure it was a total disaster last year but it looks to be something slightly better than that this time around. The depth is what is impressive. Slowly, TT is getting the team back to 2 deep instead of all our eggs in one basket. It's a little concerning. I'm sure Brett is not impressed at this point. Hopefully they can at least pass protect.

There is not question the Packers are not a great team. I think there is a good shot that some of these guys will pan out. Unfortunately for Brett, Rodgers will reap the benefits while Brett suffers the hell fire that comes with learning on the job. :(

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 01:44 PM
The depth on the Oline is not impressive. They are vulnerable. I don't count rookies and unproven players as depth.

Partial
06-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Lets not forget the sheer number of players on Atlanta's and Denver's lines that are undrafted free agents. As I recall, the highest draft pick spent on either line was a 2nd rounder, with the next highest being a 4th. They routinely can plug in undrafted free agents and make them into successful starters. It may take a year or two.

I am taking a wait and see approach on this line. I think with 5 teams implementing it in the league now, it is going to become more cliche and teams will find a way to stop the running game. I think we've got the horses to do it though. It may be rough for the first half of the year, but in the end I think they'll be pretty solid.