PDA

View Full Version : 2008 OFFICIAL DRAFT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

pbmax
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
There goes McGinn's theory that the Pack was so protective of Rodgers that they wouldn't bring in serious competition.

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
I would rather have had Booty or O'Connell in the 4th round. At least Brohm is better than Henne.A statue is better than Henne.

BallHawk
Partial's probably creamed himself.

Carolina_Packer
Brohm even looks a little like a young Favre looks-wise.

Lurker64
Actually, the thing that I like about the Brohm pick is that it keeps him off of the roster of the Bears, Vikings, and to a lesser extent Lions, all of whom could probably use him.

imscott72
I wonder if one of them can be packaged for trade. I have a feeling we don't go into training camp with both QB's..

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Henne goes to the Phins:

Strengths: A thickly built, strong and tough QB. He can be very effective when he has time to throw. Shows the ability to lead his receivers and also knows when to change up velocity. Shows outstanding touch, timing and accuracy on vertical throws. Throws a very catchable ball but also has good overall arm strength. Arm is not elite, but he certainly can make all the necessary throws. Shows good zip on deep out and can fit the ball into some tight windows on intermediate throws between the hashes. Does a good job of reading coverage while dropping back. Keeps the ball high and generally displays good footwork. Not a great athlete but he does get set quickly and has adequate straight-line speed. He is at his best when given time to set up, make reads and step into his throws. Does a great job of selling fakes and is very comfortable working the play-action game. Excellent experience as a four-year starter at highest level. One of the most intelligent prospects in his class. Very hard worker; a film rat. Understands defenses and has made sound decisions throughout his career. Displayed great toughness senior year. Has a warriors' mentality as he played through a popped out shoulder on multiple occasions during senior season.

Weaknesses: Overall mobility and athleticism are poor. His production is severely hindered when you flush him out of the pocket and force him to make plays on the move. He will never be a running threat. Height is adequate but not ideal. Has some trouble finding passing windows at times. Still improving in terms of overall decision making. Has cut down on key errors but still too streaky in that department. Pressure brings out the worst in him. While he does have good footwork when set, he needs to avoid getting sloppy when on the move. He has a tendency to throw off his back foot when rolling out or when coming off the play-fake, which takes away from his accuracy and velocity. He still needs to learn when to throw the ball away or take the sack rather than throwing the ball up for grabs (see: 1st quarter INT vs. ND in 2006). Release could be more compact, as he tends to drop down and wind-up a bit on longer throws. Durability only became an issue as a senior in 2007.

Overall: In four years at Michigan (2004-'07), Henne started every game in which he played (47). He set school career marks in completions (828), attempts (1,387), passing yards (9,715) and passing touchdowns (87). He has also rushed for three career touchdowns. Despite missing three games as a senior (leg and shoulder injuries), Henne passed for 1,938 yards and 17 touchdowns in just 10 games. In addition to good size and arm strength, Henne brings to the table rare experience as a four-year starting quarterback at Michigan. He's not the type of quarterback that can carry a team but he does an excellent job of managing games and distributing the ball to his playmakers. He was considered the most durable quarterback in the senior class prior to the 2007 season. However, knee and shoulder injuries have caused him to miss significant time. Henne is the type of quarterback that will shine in pre-draft workouts because he is such a gifted natural passer when he can set his feet and throw unhurried. However, his lack of mobility and erratic decision-making skills when under pressure are legitimate concerns in our opinion. Henne should come off the board in the second round of the upcoming draft. His intangibles, toughness and work ethic will allow him to overcome some physical limitations but his NFL career could be defined by how much he can improve his feet over the next few years.

BallHawk
I wonder if one of them can be packaged for trade. I have a feeling we don't go into training camp with both QB's..

It's a possibility.

Tony Oday
NOW JASON TAYLOR with the 60th pick :) hehe

red
Actually, the thing that I like about the Brohm pick is that it keeps him off of the roster of the Bears, Vikings, and to a lesser extent Lions, all of whom could probably use him.

absolutely

if we aren't going to pick for our needs, maybe we can steal our rivals needs

texaspackerbacker
Develop Brohm and trade him for a first rounder in a couple of years.

Honestly, though, he reminds me of Tim Whatshisname, the Kentucky guy who flopped for us and several other teams.

The Shadow
Great pick! Today, you need the most important position solidified.
We now have TWO quarterbacks better than anyone on the Bears.

cpk1994
I wonder if one of them can be packaged for trade. I have a feeling we don't go into training camp with both QB's..That would be stupid, not to mention wasting a pick by drafting him in the first place if you are going to trade one right away.

gbgary
emagine us getting a young, freckle-faced, sandy-haired qb. hmmmm

Brohm even looks a little like a young Favre looks-wise.

imscott72
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Very true. Of all the teams in the division that needed a young QB we were probably the last and now we have two.. :D

RashanGary
emagine us getting a young, freckle-faced, sandy-haired qb. hmmmm

That was out of left field.

Scott Campbell
I would rather have had Booty or O'Connell in the 4th round. At least Brohm is better than Henne.

You might still get your wish. We've got a lot of picks, and two job openings at QB.

Rastak

absolutely

Except for the fact that the Vikes next pick was round 5. The packers didn't block that, there is no way they would have gotten him.

imscott72
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I wonder if one of them can be packaged for trade. I have a feeling we don't go into training camp with both QB's..That would be stupid, not to mention wasting a pick by drafting him in the first place if you are going to trade one right away.

Not stupid at all. We have needs too. I can see him getting sent to another team for someone to fill a hole we have plus draft picks. Draft and trades aren't uncommon.

denverYooper
nice pick up

texaspackerbacker

It's a possibility.

No. We needed a QB, just not in the second round.

AtlPackFan
The Packers select Brian Brohm!!

That is great value. He won't be ready for a couple of years but he's a first round talent.

Steve Young, for what its worth, said he's ready to play now. Says that speaking from personal experience this is going to be rough on Aaron. Have to wonder what Aaron is thinking right now.

Rastak

Two guys with ZERO starts and you make a claim like that

Lamont.....you know better than that.

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Brohm will make Rodgers better and vice versa.
Absolutely.

Gotta have 2 QBs who can play..I am NOT comfortable with Dalton Bell as the backup :lol: But Brian Brohm is another story.

Love the pick..

PS I'm SO glad that we went with Brohm instead of Henne if we were gonna take a QB.

MateoInMex
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
More pressure on Aaron Rogers aside, this is a good pick IMO because Rogers has had a bit of an injured past.You are aware the Brohm has one too?

Yes, I was, just not too familiar to what extent his injuries were. But at least now the Packers have a "backup", because up until today...Culpepper was getting a look. I agree with the other poster who didn't want to see Culpepper in a Packer uniform.

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Except for the fact that the Vikes next pick was round 5. The packers didn't block that, there is no way they would have gotten him.

If he's sitting there at the end of the day going into the third, there's nothing keeping the Vikings from trading players or future picks for a third to get Brohm. After the Vikes took a Safety in the second, it was pretty clear Brohm wasn't going to be a Viking. But still, the Vikings could use a young QB who's only a year or two out. They're putting an awful lot of eggs in the Tavarius Jackson basket.

Tony Oday

No thats just how bad the Bears QBs are they might even be worse than jump pass...wait no he is still the bottom of the barrel

RashanGary
I forgot Brohm was even out there. I'm very happy with that pick. The QB position is too valuable to put all on the shoulders of one unproven guy. Now we get two decent chances to find a legit QB.

LL2
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM

It's a possibility.

No. We needed a QB, just not in the second round.

Brohm wouldn't have lasted until the Pack picked next. I bet Parcells wanted Brohm.

Does anyone know Brohm's age?

The Shadow

Yup! Exactly right!
Have you watched Grossman and Orton?

texaspackerbacker
Godfrey is still there at #60, but I'd rather have Finley or Bennett.

gbgary
I forgot Brohm was even out there. I'm very happy with that pick. The QB position is too valuable to put all on the shoulders of one unproven guy. Now we get two decent chances to find a legit QB.

that's what i've been saying all along. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

MateoInMex

Agreed.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Smith
Anthony Collins
Martellus Bennett

Rastak
Tampa takes Jackson WR

Strengths: Explosive athlete with excellent quickness and speed. Typically jumps out on film as the fastest player on the field. Gets from 0-to-60 mph in a hurry. Shows great hip fluidity and quickness as a route runner. Gets in and out of breaks without losing much time at all in transition. Does a great job of breaking off routes and separating from man-coverage. A huge threat with the ball in his hands. Is quick to pluck on the run and get up the field. Very good focus going over the middle and will secure the ball before taking a big hit. Shows excellent initial burst and a second gear to run away from defenders. Is elusive and shows good vision as an open field runner. Displays lots of upside in the return game.

Weaknesses: Is undersized; lacks ideal height and bulk. Will get pushed around and taken out of routes by bigger corners that get their hands on him. Played in a read-option offense at FCS level in college, so he has a lot to digest as a WR in the NFL. He still needs to improve his footwork as a receiver. A small target that gets lost in traffic frequently. Will not break tackles with his lean frame. Does not provide much as a stalk blocker, either.

Overall: Jackson appeared in 40 games (16 starts) in his first three seasons (2004-'06), including all 11 games as a true freshman. During that period, he turned in 80 receptions for 1,158 yards (14.5 average) and nine touchdowns. As a senior, Jackson had 30 receptions for 688 yards (22.9 average) and eight touchdowns; five rushing attempts for 74 yards (14.8 average) and a score; and 34 punt returns for 223 yards (6.6 average). Jackson also had one rushing touchdown during his Mountaineers career. Jackson is extremely fast and unlike Donnie Avery (Houston), he is a fluid slot-receiver type with loose hips and excellent quickness. He is very dangerous with the ball in his hands  both after the catch and in the return game. His lack of size limits his potential and he obviously needs to make a big leap from the small-school level to the NFL. But he has proven capable on several occasions (vs. Michigan in 2007, E-W Shrine Game and Senior Bowl) of competing with the big boys. Jackson should come off the board somewhere between Rounds 3 and 4.

Partial
Great pick with Brohm. It's A-Rods job to lose, but if he does just that or gets hurt it is good to have insurance.

Personally, I think Brohm is the better prospect than A-Rod when coming out. I think having competition is healthy.

Kudos to TT.

I would have rather had Ray Rice though. One pick away!!!

Rastak

Yup! Exactly right!
Have you watched Grossman and Orton?

Hmm, ok, you win. :wink:

Lurker64
Steve Young, for what its worth, said he's ready to play now. Says that speaking from personal experience this is going to be rough on Aaron. Have to wonder what Aaron is thinking right now.

Really, Aaron seems pretty laid back. He knows that all he needs to do is play well and the job is his. I'm aware he both understands that "football teams need a backup QB" and "the Packers like to draft QBs and develop them over a long period of time." He also likely understood, even if Green Bay didn't pick Brohm, that if he stinks he's going to have to find a job somewhere else.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
LOL at Dexter Jackson being Tampa Bay's Super Bowl MVP in 2003.

Jimx29
Almost time for another commercial on ESPN

Scott Campbell

That is great value. He won't be ready for a couple of years but he's a first round talent.

Starting jobs aren't guaranteed in the NFL. If he's not mentally tough enough to deal with this, he's not mentally tough enough to be an NFL QB.

Harlan Huckleby

If a second round rookie QB has Rogers quaking in his boots, he must not have much confidence in himself. Look how much Rogers has improved in three years, Brohm has the same learning curve to face.

BallHawk
Brohm comes across as a good guy from his interview on ESPN.

gbgary
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Starting jobs aren't guaranteed in the NFL. If he's not mentally tough enough to deal with this, he's not mentally tough enough to be an NFL QB.

spot on!!

GrnBay007
lol Henne really doesn't look happy at all

BallHawk

Well said, Scott.

TheCheese
I really like Rodgers and I feel bad for him but I guess Brohm is good value and insurance, hopefully in a couple years we can Schaub his ass.

AtlPackFan

If a second round rookie QB has Rogers quaking in his boots, he must not have much confidence in himself. Look how much Rogers has improved in three years, Brohm has the same learning curve to face.

I don't disagree with you guys, just saying what I heard.

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
This is a great pick Like I have been saying all along that Aaron Rodgers is injury prone and we needed protection. He is ready to start if needed. Rodgers will start the year as the starter however he is injury prone that makes this pick a great one. GO TED!!

RashanGary
Great pick with Brohm. It's A-Rods job to lose, but if he does just that or gets hurt it is good to have insurance.

Personally, I think Brohm is the better prospect than A-Rod when coming out. I think having competition is healthy.

Kudos to TT.

I would have rather had Ray Rice though. One pick away!!!

You swayed me on Brohm. I wasn't really looking, but after hearing your constant Brohm love, I read up on him. I like his skill set.

red
henne seems like a jackass

motife
the Celtics once had an almost all white team, they called South Africa's team with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Danny Ainge.

Do you think if GB had an all white roster today that it would create the waves it did with the Celtics back then?

denverYooper
Brohm comes across as a good guy from his interview on ESPN.

All he needed was a piece of deer sausage.

Partial
Aaron is probably thinking bring it on. He is a professional athlete after all.

Jimx29
Brohm comes across as a good guy from his interview on ESPN.and henne looks disappointed to be going to Miami :P

BallHawk

I don't know why. He's got a chance to start if he plays well.

digitaldean
04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
We're up!!! Come on Ted..... TE, RB or CB

Rastak
the Celtics once had an almost all white team, they called South Africa's team with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and Danny Ainge.

Do you think if GB had an all white roster today that it would create the waves it did with the Celtics back then?

I hated them. I was a 76er's guy.

Harlan Huckleby

MORE WHITE WR'S !!!!

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Or an offensive lineman of some kind.

Rastak
Colts tkae Pollak:

Strengths: Is tall with adequate bulk. Displays solid footwork and a quick first step. Snaps the ball and gets out of his stance almost simultaneously. He's very good in space. ASU uses him on a lot of pulls and traps. Shows good mobility and body control to consistently hit the moving target. He displays nimble feet in the short area and does a nice job of shuffling his feet and mirroring pass rushers. He is a natural knee bender. Also shows a strong, quick and compact punch that allows him to get his hands inside on rushers. Keeps his head on a swivel and shows great ability to recognize stunts  stays home and waits for the outside rusher to enter his gap. Durable player with excellent college experience.

Weaknesses: Overall strength is adequate but not good. Lacks explosive power. Good initial punch but he's not going to overwhelm many DT's or NT's at the point of attack. Needs to do a more consistent job of staying low to create a better anchor versus the bull rush. He's not a finesse player but he also doesn't show as much of a mean streak as we would like to see.

Overall: Pollak arrived at Arizona State in 2003 and redshirted his first year. In his first two active seasons (2004-'05), he appeared in 20 games and earned valuable experience (nine starts). Pollak solidified his place in the Sun Devils' lineup as a junior, and ended his career having made 31 consecutive starts (and played in 38 straight games). Pollak is an underrated athlete and an outstanding technician. He plays under control with very good awareness and excellent range  both in pass pro and as a run blocker. His size and strength are adequate but he's not going to overpower many defenders and we would like to see him play with a bit more of a mean streak. With that in mind, Pollak should be one of the top two centers selected in April's draft and he's worth a late-second or early-third round pick for a team employing a zone-blocking scheme on offense.

Bretsky
I'm back for a bit

Would be nice to get a dam talented TE with upside here

The TE from A&M would be cool; of course that will not be out pick

Prolly an OL here

Partial
NFL draft thats what she said drinking game isn't as intense as one would think. That's what she said baseball announcer game is far more entertaining with constant references to the wood bats.

In any case, did anyone notice this stellar Meshawne quote today?

"Yeah, they are looking for a Joe Juerevicious, Keyshawne Johnson, Keenan McCardle type receiver" Solid self-promotion. I was cracking up with my buddies

Scott Campbell
Ok, this is ridiculous. 10 WR in the second round so far.

gbgary
did you see Brohm running down the field, with that number one finger in the air, on that espn highlight. hmmmmm

Deputy Nutz
Luke Swann"""

MateoInMex
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Unfuckingbelievable!!! Blowme ESPN!

imscott72
Sure enough! Commercial! Amazing.. :roll:

red
LOL, comercial

what dickheads

Jimx29
sure as shit...packs pick is in and espn goes to commercials

GrnBay007
CB Patrick Lee

imscott72
Patrick Lee...CB issue addressed..

Lurker64
Patrick Lee!

GREAT PICK!

Rastak
Pack takes Lee CB

Strengths: Has a lot of upside as a cover-2 corner and brings versatility on special teams. Is tall, well-built and strong for the position. Possesses good upper-body strength and is adept at pressing WR's at the line of scrimmage. Has quick feet and very good change-of-direction skills for his size. Is instinctive and shows good football intelligence. Supports the run hard and will sacrifice his body. Has great experience on special teams, having played on every unit at Auburn. Does an excellent job as a gunner and has some experience returning kicks. Is willing to contribute any way possible and is a hard worker. He has been durable throughout his career and does not come with any character baggage.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal experience. Only a first-year fulltime starter as a senior. Is quick and fast on a straight-line but has some stiffness in his hips and struggles to open up quickly enough versus speedy receivers on vertical routes. Will get in trouble if he doesn't get a good jam on quicker receivers at the line, as it takes him too long to transition. Footwork needs polishing, as do recognition skills in off-coverage. Gives a good effort versus the run but has some trouble shedding blocks and needs to wrap up in space more consistently.

Overall: Lee arrived at Auburn in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games (nine starts) and had 48 tackles (one for a loss), one forced fumble, one interception and 10 pass breakups. He played in all 13 games (starting all but one) as a senior last season, recording 55 tackles (one for a loss), one forced fumble, four interceptions and 10 pass breakups. He also had 11 kickoff returns for 284 yards (25.8 average). Lee has the size, speed and toughness teams look for in a future starter but he is still a bit raw due to relative inexperience. He lacks ideal hip-fluidity, so he's better suited to play a zone-heavy scheme in the NFL. However, Lee brings an outstanding special teams' resume to the NFL and he should be able to contribute as a gunner  among other roles  early in his career while polishing his skills in coverage. Lee could eventually emerge as a great value from the 2008 draft, where he projects to go late on Day 1 or early on Day 2.

red
thank you a cb

and a decent one

Deputy Nutz
Patrick Lee. Gee who called that one? :roll:

Partial
Patrick Lee. That fucking KFC commercial sucks.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM

He really should be. Heck, John Beck may not be the answer in Miami, and he could go in there and take the job over. Perhaps he's just Mr. Laidback. Dude, you're going to Miami...sun and fun.

MateoInMex
Unfuckingbelievable!!! Blowme ESPN!

Patrick Lee

texaspackerbacker
OK, I can stand Lee. The way Godfrey is falling, maybe Lee is better.

digitaldean
Luke Swan , Nutz, would be a nice pick.

Doubt TT would do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

motife
wow. other than he white wide receiver, went according to plan.

TT can go face the boos in the atrium now.

theeaterofshades
lol commercial when we pick again

BallHawk
Good pick.

AND LMAO at ESPN.

Tony Oday
Watch the NFLN then. Espn hates us.

I like taht we picked a CB...but I want Jason Taylor!

digitaldean
Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn

Rastak

Have you ever disagreed with a pick once made?

Bretsky
I like Ray Rice from Rutgers. Wouldn't mind him in Green and Gold.

I would have loved our draft if we could have had "the guy before" on our first two picks

RashanGary

Hahaha, I honestly thought you were crazy. It's very rare for the Packers to take a guy who played so little in college.

Lurker64
I was ready to take this guy at #30, I'm really happy he's a Packer now. He's a great value at #60, he fits very very well into our system and he'll immediately step into the conversation at nickel/dime CB.

FABULOUS PICK.

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Aaron is probably thinking bring it on. He is a professional athlete after all.

I hope so. That's the attitude I want him to have.

#60 Patrick Lee, CB Auburn. Excellent pick at this spot. Not a top flight corner in this draft, but very comfortable in man coverage. Will at the very least be a contender for the nickel back spot. Certainly better than Bush IMO, and definitely more durable than Blackmon.

Partial

Didn't you call him the first rounder, though?

Bretsky
I'm fine with waiting on a RB until tomorrow. We need to address the TE spot...bad.

there is always tomorrow

imscott72
Another S/T's player. Our S/T's are gonna be studly this year..

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2008, 07:46 PM
eith the 60th pick the Packers select CB Patrick Lee Good move!

Brohm
:shock:

Great pick. Arod can handle the pressure, if he cannot, how the hell will he handle the likes of Allen brething down his neck. Non-issue. As been stated previously, good teams maintain continuity at the QB position and it would be a shame to not have learned that lesson after having Farve for all these years. Farve retiring was going to happen eventually and Rodgers has been groomed to take over, hell noe the develpomentl back-up is in place too :p All Rodgers has to do is play well and stay healthy to keep the job. If not, it's open competition, just like every other position.

Edit: Damn got caught up and anothe rpick passed :p Got our new back-up CB as well

theeaterofshades

I would except for the fact that Time Warner Cable hates me and refuses to have the NFL network

motife

If TT makes the pick, it's automatically correct.

The 2007 draft may yield 6 starters.

Harrell
Jones
Rouse
Barbre
Crosby
Hall

imscott72
lol they're replaying the Vikings missed 1st round pick..classic..

pbmax
The NFL player population is not as weighted to African Americans as the NBA, but as I said earlier, if we draft a white DB, there will be an Outside The Lines in their future.

Patrick Lee might just have screwed up an Oprah production meeting too.

Carolina_Packer

Was Godfrey a bump and run corner? If I had to choose a top CB from either Big 10 or SEC, I'd go SEC.

Bretsky
Brian Brohm???

Maybe our future

Partial
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Wait, isn't the draft only 2 rounds on day 1 today?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Which one, Kevin Williams or Bryant McKinnie?

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I like the Lee pick...he's raw as hell though.

Gunakor

I think you are right....

Partial

I think you are right....

I agree, but ESPN has the draft going until 10.

Jimx29

Then you can watch that Americas game commercial EVERY SINGLE BREAK :roll:

pbmax
NFLN is streaming online.

I would except for the fact that Time Warner Cable hates me and refuses to have the NFL network

Deputy Nutz

Didn't you call him the first rounder, though?

Fuck didn't we have a whole fucking thread on this where I explained my decision about this guy? I said he was a player that would fit in the Packers system. Seems you don't listen very well.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Cowboys take Bennett, TE

Strengths: Has a massive frame, including long arms and big hands. Former basketball player for two seasons at A&M; he's aathletic for his size. Knows how to get a clean release when linebackers try to jam him at the line, does a good job of tracking the ball downfield and, while doesn't have elite speed, is fast enough to stretch the seam a little bit. Appears to read defenses well and locates seams when working against zone coverage. Uses wide frame to shield defenders from the ball and can make tough catches in traffic. Snatches the ball out of the air and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact so can produce after the catch. Shows good focus, has adequate body control and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Fights for the ball while it's in the air and is capable of coming down with the ball in most jump ball situations. Has experience lining up flexed to the outside, size caused matchup problems for defensive backs and is somewhat versatile. Works from the snap until the whistle and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Does a fairly good job of staying low considering how tall he is and can get under defenders' pads. Shows adequate lateral mobility and can seal the edge. Takes adequate angles to blocks and can get into position at the second level.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to change directions, doesn't explode out of cuts and is going to have a harder time separating from man coverage at the NFL level. Isn't going to make many defenders miss, lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a big-play threat. Lacks elite foot speed and has a harder time beating press coverage when lines up outside. Doesn't show great lower body strength, doesn't always get good hand placement and is going to have problems driving two-gap defensive ends off the ball. Durability is not really a concern but he did miss 2007 Nebraska game with an ankle injury.

Overall: Bennett started five of the 11 games he appeared in during his true freshman season in 2005. He started all 13 games of the 2006 season recording 38 catches, 497 receiving yards and three receiving touchdowns. Bennett started 12 games during the 2007 season recording 49 receptions, 587 receiving yards and four receiving touchdowns. Bennett lacks explosiveness and strength elite of an elite prospect, but he has the frame, toughness, and hands to develop into a starting tight end in the NFL. He also is a smooth athlete with adequate speed for his size. Bennett projects as a third-round pick.

digitaldean

Gotta love Big Brother Time Warner. Can have all sorts of crap channels on (style, Lifetime) and then screw around with NFLN.

texaspackerbacker

I wasn't too thrilled with Rodgers or Harrell, and I just said NO!!!!! about Brohm.

How can any of us seriously dispute ANYTHING Thompson does, though?

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Does this officially end the Favre era in Green Bay? No way you bring him back now right? Wow..Wonder how Aaron feels right now..QB controversy anybody?

I'd love Favre to come back just to pisss fella's like you off. :D

Gunakor

Gotta love Big Brother Time Warner. Can have all sorts of crap channels on (style, Lifetime) and then screw around with NFLN.

$$$$$$$$$

Deputy Nutz

I don't think he is as raw as his time as a starter suggests.

Rastak
Hey IMSCOTT, which pick were they making fun of, Kevin Williams or Bryant McKinnie?

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey IMSCOTT, which pick were they making fun of, Kevin Williams or Bryant McKinnie?

The Williams pick, with Denny Green Commentating, I love Denny Green.

imscott72

Williams..

CaliforniaCheez
Patrick Lee has me nailing a pick in the draft contest!!

1. Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College Round 1 WRONG!

2. Patrick Lee CB Auburn Round 2 CORRECT!!

3. Martellus Benett TE TX A&M Round 2 WRONG!!

4. Justin King CB Penn State Round 2

5. Roy Schuening OG OR St Round 3

6. Jason Jones DE E MI Round 3

7. Josh Johnson QB San Diego Round 4.

8. Simeon Castille CB Alabama Round 5

9. Steve Justice C Wake Forrest Round 5

10. Erik Ainge QB TN Round 7

Lurker64

Thankfully he won't be asked to start, or even necessarily be the nickel back when he starts. He fits the system and is a solid athlete and he won't be asked to do much this year.

GoPackGo
only the 28th pick of the 3rd round left to make today

texaspackerbacker
My second favorite team is getting a bunch of guys I would have liked the Packers to get--the Cowboys--especially Jenkins, and now Bennett.

Scott Campbell

http://www.beckyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/pissed-off-kitty.jpg

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm not a big Brohm fan...I just don't see a bunch of upside with him. He'll probably be a good fit for the WCO. He's a reasonable value late in the 2nd. Would've rather had the TE Bennett though.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Williams..

Yea, that was a fuckup, eh? Paying #9 money to a #7 guy.......who rocks.

:)

imscott72
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

DirecTV is the way to go. Big Ten Net plus NFL Net all in high def..I dumped cable a few months ago and it's the best decision I've ever made..

Rastak

:D

Jimx29
hahahaha.....round of boos when N.E. picked :lol:

motife
TT LIVE :

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/packers_on_air_schedule/

imscott72

KW..they were replaying Berman and the boys going crazy about the Vikes not turning their pick in..

gbgary
My second favorite team is getting a bunch of guys I would have liked the Packers to get--the Cowboys--especially Jenkins, and now Bennett.

:shock: omg...how can you admit that?

digitaldean
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM

$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, like they're not making enough jack off of me already. If they put it on the digital tier, I just won't get digital cable.

If cable allowed ala carte carriage of channels, they could price it so they'd make MORE money than they are now. I'd pay for ESPN, NFLN, CNN, FoxNews, TCM, Food Network, Disney and Nickelodeon for my kids.

imscott72

Williams..

Hell yeah it sure turned out good, but looked real bad at draft time..

PaCkFan_n_MD
DID ANY TEAM PICK DAN CONNOR?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM
[quote=Rastak]Hey IMSCOTT, which pick were they making fun of, Kevin Williams or Bryant McKinnie?

KW..they were replaying Berman and the boys going crazy about the Vikes not turning their pick in..

Hey IMscott, I went apeshit. I damn near had a fucking stroke. I'm serious.

It worked out fantastic but holy crap was I bummed.

LL2
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM

He really should be. Heck, John Beck may not be the answer in Miami, and he could go in there and take the job over. Perhaps he's just Mr. Laidback. Dude, you're going to Miami...sun and fun.

and babes in thong bikini's walking in front of his beach front condo!

digitaldean

DirecTV is the way to go. Big Ten Net plus NFL Net all in high def..I dumped cable a few months ago and it's the best decision I've ever made..

Yeah, love to do it, but I have trees from my %*#&@#*$(* city on a terrace blocking the SW exposure I need to get line of sight for satellite. Tried it with Dish about 6 years ago, worked great in fall/winter, when spring came it was useless.

Rastak
Pats take Wheatley CB

Strengths: Opens hips well, fast enough to run with most receivers and generally knows when to look back for the ball. Changes directions well and explodes out of cuts. Gets adequate knee bend in backpedal and shows good closing speed going forward. Catches the ball well and flashes big-play ability. Rarely bites on play action and waits for quarterback to cross line of scrimmage before leaving coverage assignment. Has a mean streak and fills hard when reads run. Works from snap until whistle, flashes the ability to shed blocks and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Takes sound pursuit angles and makes plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact and doesn't miss many open field tackles. Has experience covering punts, is an experienced kickoff return man and has the potential to develop into a valuable special teams' player.

Weaknesses: Gets adequate hand placement when plays close to the line of scrimmage but doesn't deliver a powerful initial punch and is going to have problems slowing bigger receivers down at the line of scrimmage. Isn't aggressive enough, doesn't jump enough routes and gives the inside away too much. Lacks ideal bulk and bigger receivers are going to have some success shielding him from the ball. Doesn't have great size and or strength, is a drag-down tackler and can struggle to bring powerful runner down. Slowed by injuries throughout the 2004 season, missed 2005 spring practices because of a wrist injury, re-injured the wrist during 2005 preseason practices, missed the entire 2005 season and sustained a hairline fracture in left foot late in the 2007season so durability is a concern.

Overall: In his first two seasons at Colorado (2003-'04), Wheatley appeared in 25 games (seven starts) and had 57 tackles, eight pass breakups and four interceptions (he returned one for a touchdown). In 2006, he started all 12 games, recording 57 tackles, 11 pass breakups and five interceptions. As a senior in 2007, he played 10 games and had 42 tackles (one for a loss), one forced fumble, 10 pass breakups and five interceptions (including a 35-yard touchdown return). He also had a career 59 kickoff returns for 1,411 yards (23.9 average). Wheatley suffered a right wrist dislocation in '03, undergoing three surgeries over three years to repair the injury (including 2005, when he sat out the season and was granted a medical redshirt). In September '06, he broke the metal plate in his wrist but continued to play (he had another surgery after the season). In '07 he missed the Buffaloes' final three games because of a hairline fracture in his foot. He also left games early in '06 (concussion) and '07 (knee sprain) but didn't miss any more time as a result. Wheatley has the cover skills to develop into an effective sub-package corner and he is a lot tougher against the run than his size would indicate. However, his upside is limited by his lack of size and he is going to have problems matching up with bigger receivers. In addition, his inability to stay healthy at the collegiate levels coupled with his size raises questions about his ability to stay healthy over the course of a 16-game season.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Giants take Thomas CB:

Strengths: Is tall, well-built with good top-end speed. Can be effective in man and zone coverage but at his best playing press-man. Is physical and aggressive, using long arms and strong upper body to take receivers out of their routes at the line. He is instinctive in coverage and knows when to turn and look for the ball. Displays good ball skills and is a natural playmaker. In zone, he does a good job of keeping everything in front of him and reading the QB's eyes. Gives a good effort and is very productive in run support. Fills hard, takes solid angles and is a reliable open-field tackler. Versatility gives him extra value; has experience playing safety and covering kicks. Great intangibles. Coaches and teammates speak very highly of his leadership skills and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Multiple injuries (dislocated right shoulder in 2003 and left shoulder in spring of 2007, as well as torn ligaments in right knee in 2005) generate considerable long-term durability worries. He's instinctive but he also tends to freelance at times and can get in trouble by being out of position. He's fast for his size but he does lack elite fluidity in his hips and will have some trouble keeping up with smaller, quicker WR's on double moves in the NFL. Struggles to find the ball over his shoulder and is much more effective when the play is in front of him.

Overall: Thomas arrived at USC in 2003 as a safety but redshirted the year after suffering a shoulder dislocation in fall practice and undergoing surgery. He moved to cornerback and in his first three seasons (2004-'06) played in 26 games (15 starts), posting 64 tackles (three for losses), four interceptions and 15 pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games at right cornerback and had 45 tackles (4.5 for losses), three forced fumbles, four interceptions and seven pass breakups. In 2005, Thomas suffered torn ligaments in his right knee and underwent season-ending surgery, missing all but the Trojans' first two games. He also had surgery after dislocating his left shoulder in 2007, sitting out spring drills. Thomas is at his best when working in press coverage but he does not possess the fluid hips to be left alone on an island very often in man-coverage at the next level. He seems best suited to play in a physical zone-heavy scheme and probably will max out as a No. 3 corner in the NFL. On the positive side, he has some extra value because of his experience at safety and covering kicks. However, his laundry list of injuries will undoubtedly cause him to slip even though he started all 13 games last year. Thomas projects as a third or fourth round pick.

Bretsky
Godfrey is still there at #60, but I'd rather have Finley or Bennett.

Bennett- Great Talent

digitaldean

NOPE. Both he and Manningham are the biggest names still available for round 3.

motife
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
just to repeat Ted Thompson is on live now :

talking about Brohm..

Said he wanted Jordy all along, but tried to keep it under the radar.

theeaterofshades
[quote=theeaterofshades][quote=Tony Oday]Watch the NFLN then. Espn hates us.

IMSCOTT: How is the reception during rain/snow? Also where you at? I have observed that direct is better than dish in some areas and vice versa. I just wish that verizon had FiOS in our area... HD not compressed!

pittstang5

No

gbgary
now tt needs to take our picks at 91 and 113 and move up and get someone in the 80s. :D

Rastak
That's it for day 1! See you in the day two thread!

woodbuck27
Quarterback | Senior | Louisville Brian Brohm
Height: 6-27/8 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.69

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Mechanically sound...Doesn't have a cannon but arm strength is more than adequate...Has a terrific football IQ and knows how to read a defense...Very smart and doesn't make many bad decisions...Hard worker with great intangibles who loves the game and wants to improve...Gets rid of the ball quickly...Good accuracy, touch and timing...Decent athlete...Moves well in the pocket...Has lots of experience...Very productive at every level...Good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:

Required surgery for a torn ACL in 2005, torn ligaments in his thumb in 2006 and most recently went under the knife to repair his non-throwing shoulder in January of '07...Played in an offensive system that pumped up his numbers and didn't ask him to make a lot of difficult throws...Mobility is very limited and he isn't much of a threat to scramble...Could be more of a vocal leader...May not have a big upside.

Notes:

Was the fourth Brohm to play football for the Cardinals following in the footsteps of his dad, Oscar, and brothers, Greg and Jeff...

Brother Jeff is currently Louisville's quarterbacks coach and was an NFL journeyman in the mid and late 1990's ...

One of the premier recruits in the nation coming out of high school and took home just about every prep accolade imaginable...

Was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the 49th round of the 2004 MLB amateur draft...

Would appear to be a prototype franchise quarterback but he has some serious question marks when it comes to durability and the system he played in that cloud his future...A boom or bust type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Comp Att Yds Comp % TD INT

2004 11 66 98 819 67.3% 6 2

2005 10 207 301 2,883 68.8% 19 5

2006 11 199 313 3,049 63.6% 16 5

2007 12 308 473 4,024 65.1% 30 12

Totals 44 780 1,185 10,775 65.8% 71 24

TTT had to go there I think. Nice pick and recovery fr. his dubious first pick of the day.

PBA option We needed good new blood at QB. Second rated QB in Draft by a lot of NFL fans. :D

GO PACK GO !

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 07:59 PM
The first two rounds of this draft were completed in the same amount of time as last years first round alone. WOW.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
TT just said he was trying to trade up to get Brohm.

digitaldean
TT was actually trying to trade up to get Brohm (per the live news conference)

imscott72
[quote=Rastak]Hey IMSCOTT, which pick were they making fun of, Kevin Williams or Bryant McKinnie?

Hey IMscott, I went apeshit. I damn near had a fucking stroke. I'm serious.

It worked out fantastic but holy crap was I bummed.

I bet you were. I probably would've broke my tv set with something, but it all worked out..

motife
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
more from Ted...

they missed on somebody they wanted in the 2nd. They tried to trade up, but didn't get it done.

digitaldean
04-26-2008, 08:01 PM
That's it for day 1! See you in the day two thread!

Have a good one Ras! Hopefully we'll see you before round 5 :wink:

red
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
nope

Gunakor
Day one in the books, and I guess it could've been worse. I think Nelson would've dropped to #60, but I like the player and think he'll be a good fit in our passing game. I think Patrick Lee might be the best of the second level corners in this draft, and a very good value where he was selected. I'm of the opinion that we should have looked twoards the FA market for a backup QB so he'd have NFL experience, but Brohm might have been the best of TT's picks thus far. Overall I'm happy.

pbmax
Woody, do you really sense that Favre is committed to doing the necessary work to continue to play?

His indecision doesn't mean to me that he CAN'T play anymore, but it does demonstrate to me that he isn't as committed to playing as he used to be.

Does this officially end the Favre era in Green Bay? No way you bring him back now right? Wow..Wonder how Aaron feels right now..QB controversy anybody?

imscott72

Yeah, love to do it, but I have trees from my %*#&@#*$(* city on a terrace blocking the SW exposure I need to get line of sight for satellite. Tried it with Dish about 6 years ago, worked great in fall/winter, when spring came it was useless.

Eh that sucks..I have so much sports content now I can't find the time to watch it all..Best thing is I pay the same I paid MediaScam for their crappy content.

RashanGary
more from Ted...

they missed on somebody they wanted in the 2nd. They tried to trade up, but didn't get it done.

They asked a follow up qeustion "were you trying to move up to get Brohm" and he said "yes"

gbgary
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
TT just said he was trying to trade up to get Brohm.

hmmmm. that shows he'll do it. ended up not having to.

Carolina_Packer

Williams..

A way to trade back, not get any other picks, still get the guy you want, and save money. I'm surprised more teams don't try it in a small window of picks.

motife
Ted got booed again in the atrium, he said. He said a few stood up and clapped to defend him.

imscott72
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
[quote=theeaterofshades][quote=Tony Oday]Watch the NFLN then. Espn hates us.

IMSCOTT: How is the reception during rain/snow? Also where you at? I have observed that direct is better than dish in some areas and vice versa. I just wish that verizon had FiOS in our area... HD not compressed!

I'm in NE Iowa and haven't had any problems during rain or snow. I installed mine under my eave so I think that helps. FIOS is awesome, but not in my area. I don't notice any compression with directv at all. Their HD content looks fantastic. They also launched a new bird a couple months ago so more HD stuff coming.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Said he tried to move up, but wasn't going to be foolish about it. Fortunatly the thing came to us.

imscott72
04-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Woody, do you really sense that Favre is committed to doing the necessary work to continue to play?

His indecision doesn't mean to me that he CAN'T play anymore, but it does demonstrate to me that he isn't as committed to playing as he used to be.

I missed Woody post on this. I wouldn't be pissed if Brett came back, but I don't see it happening now with two young solid QB's unless we trade one of them. If Brett decides to return, Arod is as good as gone imo..If Brett can commit to a couple years then we can groom Brohm at that point.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
LOL at Ted.

"All right have a good da- (pause) evening."

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I think Brohm is stepping into a great situaiton. QB is a position where you need the right coach and the right situation. McCarthy is the right coach and an unproven Rodgers in front of him is the right situation. Maybe Rodgers pans out, but if not, Brohm has a year to get acclaimated and then next year he can try to gun down Rodgers in camp.

digitaldean
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
LOL at Ted.

"All right have a good da- (pause) evening."

Yup, public speaking ain't is strong suit. He seemed pretty humorous though when mentioning getting booed in the atrium.

red
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
he also said they liked flowers a lot, but wouldn't say where they had him ranked.

i still say he screwed up that trade down, despite what he said about wanting jordy all along

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee St. 6-11/2 184 4.33
2. Leodis McKelvin Troy 5-101/4 190 4.38
3. Mike Jenkins South Florida 5-101/4 197 4.40
4. Antoine Cason Arizona 6-01/4 191 4.52
5. Aqib Talib Kansas 6-03/4 202 4.45
6. Patrick Lee Auburn 6-0 200 4.42
7. Justin King Penn St. 5-107/8 192 4.31
8. Charles Godfrey Iowa 5-113/4 207 4.44
9. Tracy Porter Indiana 5-107/8 188 4.37
10. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech 5-93/4 189 4.58

CB Senior Auburn Patrick Lee
Height: 6-0 Weight: 200 40-Time: 4.42

Official Bio

Strengths:

A great natural athlete...Very good size and bulk...Excellent timed speed...Tough and strong...Plays a physical brand of football...Terrific special teamer...Good ball skills...Has fluid hips to turn and run vertically...Hasn't maxed out his potential yet.

Weaknesses:

Limited starting experience...Hands are questionable...Has not played a ton of off coverage...A little inconsistent...Wasn't overly productive...May have some trouble mastering the complexities of a pro defense early on...Has minor durability issues.

Notes:
Didn't start until his senior year but made the most of the opportunity...
Dealt with a nagging knee injury as a junior...
A fast rising prospect with all the physical tools that you look for...
Will also be an extremely valuable asset on special teams...
May emerge as one of the top seniors available at his position...
An intriguing prospect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2003 DNP - - - -
2004 12 14 1 0 0
2005 12 9 3 0 0
2006 12 25 6 1 18
2007 13 55 10 4 34

Totals 49 103 20 5 52

Nice pick for TT.Hey I think he's batting 0.667. Not too bad for " the Old White Hair ". We're having fun now! :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm upset that the TE position remains unaddressed, but I can't complain with either the Nelson or Lee pick. I'm happy with both of those guys. Brohm...I'm not a huge fan. I'm not upset with the pick, but I think we'd be better off with Bennett as our #2 TE and someone else we take early tomorrow as our QB project.

I'm also a little interested in seeing how TT improves the OL.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm not a fan of the Patrick Lee pick. The only other early pick I didn't really like was Darryn Colledge.

CaliforniaCheez
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Clearly, this was a Best Player Available draft.

Jordy is going to suprise a lot of people. He sounds better than the flaky no talent egomaniacs that were in the press. Great size. Good speed.

The Packers were very lucky to get Brohm.

Patrick Lee was not that far from the top CB's and his attitude is better.

I'm very happy.

motife
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
McCarthy on live!!!

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm upset that the TE position remains unaddressed.

I think this is something Ted might do to us over and over and over again. Players think we need a player at position x, Ted Thompson thinks the player to fill that need is already on the roster, and doesn't address that need. Fans are then outraged.

It happened with TE last year, after all. Who's to say that our backup TE isn't Humphrey? The staff is apparently high on him. It's entirely likely that TT figured our need at TE was a need for a 3rd TE and didn't figure it was all that important.

the_idle_threat
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm also a little interested in seeing how TT improves the OL.

I'm not surprised he's waiting 'til day 2 on OL. Most of the highly rated OLs are more suited to the more typical power blocking offenses in the league, as opposed to the ZBS. Smaller zone-type guys can be found on day 2 or even as undrafted FAs, methinks. Just my opinion.

gbgary
04-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Jordy is going to suprise a lot of people. He sounds better than the flaky no talent egomaniacs that were in the press. Great size. Good speed.

I'm very happy.

i'll agree with your last three thoughts but i think need was addressed too.

red
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm very happy.

when you completely ignore the whole free agency process like TT does, then you can't always just take BPA

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM

I'm very happy.

when you completely ignore the whole free agency process like TT does, then you can't always just take BPA

TT doesn't ignore FA, he proved that with the signings of CW and Pickett. He's just cautious and patient, not signing unless he knows he's getting a good deal. Every position on this team has an established starter. There are no glaring holes on this team. That allows us to take the BPA and then we build on that for the future.

Basically, if we keep on hitting on draft picks we could take this approach for the next decade.

red
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm very happy.

TT doesn't ignore FA, he proved that with the signings of CW and Pickett. He's just cautious and patient, not signing unless he knows he's getting a good deal. Every position on this team has an established starter. There are no glaring holes on this team. That allows us to take the BPA and then we build on that for the future.

Basically, if we keep on hitting on draft picks we could take this approach for the next decade.

to me, our fb, whoever he is, colledge, wells, spitz, lee, and collins are all players that recieved their starting jobs not because they won them, but because we had no one else. theres lots of room for improvement with all those starters IMO

i'm still not convinced those guys would be starters on any other nfl team right now

Merlin
04-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Um QB with the 2nd pick? Are you serious?

Thompson never does what is best, he does what he thinks is the BPA on his board. Was Brohm the best on his board for the 56th pick??????????? I doubt it! Lee had to be higher then Brohm. Could it be that he is thinking about something we dunno about? Who knows. I would have thought after taking Nelson we were looking at a CB for the next pick. Brohm looks to be a sleeper with more skills then Rodgers. Why in the hell would he send that message?????

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
i'm still not convinced those guys would be starters on any other nfl team right now

You don't get to 13-3 by having guys that are the worst in the league at their position.

Yeah, we have weaknesses. Who doesn't? But we don't have any positions that will seriously damage our chances of winning football games.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Thompson never does what is best, he does what he thinks is the BPA on his board. Was Brohm the best on his board for the 56th pick??????????? I doubt it!

Oh, Jesus, Merlin's back just in time to tell us he knows more about what Ted knows than Ted himself knows. Is it still a conspiracy to drive Favre out of town, this drafting of a QB?

PackerPro42
04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm just going to throw a name out that I think that TT will go after tomorrow. Tavares Gooden the LB from Miami. I may be wrong but I've been looking at this guy for a while and he was one of the players the TT brought in for interviews. He would be a nice addition to the LB core and is a potential starter later on in the season.

Merlin
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Thompson never does what is best, he does what he thinks is the BPA on his board. Was Brohm the best on his board for the 56th pick??????????? I doubt it!

Oh, Jesus, Merlin's back just in time to tell us he knows more about what Ted knows than Ted himself knows. Is it still a conspiracy to drive Favre out of town, this drafting of a QB?

You can read can't you? Is there a reason you are being an asshole to me? Could it be because you are as confused about the pick as everyone else? no that would be too obvious. Sometimes your blind hatred is uncontrollable. Once an asshole always one I guess. Go find someone elses chain to pull dumbass.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
the thing about the draft that I figured out is, far be it for me to sit here and critique what these paid professionals are doing. They watch more film, and put in more time than I would ever do on my own to scout these players. They must have some understanding with what they are doing. If Thompson honestly thinks that Jordy Nelson is the best player and best overall fit for the Packers then who am I to judge at this juncture? I take it as it comes.

I can stat that I don't really like the Brohm pick because of all the media controversy that is now going to surround the QB position in 2008. We haven't really had that in Green Bay since Favre's early years.

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 09:27 PM

You can read can't you? Is there a reason you are being an asshole to me? Could it be because you are as confused about the pick as everyone else? no that would be too obvious. Sometimes your blind hatred is uncontrollable. Once an asshole always one I guess. Go find someone elses chain to pull dumbass.IF you had bothered to read or hear what TT said, he considered Brohm at #30 and actually tried to trade up in the saecond to get him. Once again your hatred of TT blinds you from reality and causes you to rant insanely.

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM

You don't get to 13-3 by having guys that are the worst in the league at their position.

Yeah, we have weaknesses. Who doesn't? But we don't have any positions that will seriously damage our chances of winning football games.

I would not call Colledge (who was benched a couple times) or Coston (who is often hurt and inconsistent) as established starters

I don't agree with your last premise

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 09:29 PM

I missed Woody post on this. I wouldn't be pissed if Brett came back, but I don't see it happening now with two young solid QB's unless we trade one of them. If Brett decides to return, Arod is as good as gone imo..If Brett can commit to a couple years then we can groom Brohm at that point.

I predicted long before he retired that he would pbMax.

and No! He said he couldn't maske the committment he did last season ever again. He was in my view all shot burnt out pbmax. He gave all he had and his tank was near to empty.

imscott72. PLEASE don't take me too seriously. :D I only want one thing. A nother Packer Super Bowl win, and us fans feeling all that took. I'm 100% behind TT doing it really good.

I'm also criticle and It costs me, but someone has to stand in and shoot @ him when he/she feel it's that way. I truly hope his first pick today turns out very productive for us all to enjoy. I would have gone in a different direction.I believe by far that most Packer fans we'er disappointed in that selection early in round two. We'll live with it. Pull hard for this WR and TT.

I'm for TT doing GREAT. :D

PACKERS FOREVER!

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
the thing about the draft that I figured out is, far be it for me to sit here and critique what these paid professionals are doing. They watch more film, and put in more time than I would ever do on my own to scout these players. They must have some understanding with what they are doing. If Thompson honestly thinks that Jordy Nelson is the best player and best overall fit for the Packers then who am I to judge at this juncture? I take it as it comes.

Gosh, are you running for a political office ? :lol:

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM

This will be TT's season to mainly take stock.To really assess the Packer's future.

We are NOT a player or three away from the Super Bowl. That has to be his aim, and nothing less is good enough. This season he finds where he's at and maybe, and it's a long shot; but by the end of his current contract we may be close or just where we will be in 2008? Not close.

If that's the case he will be replaced.

It's vital for him to carefully select his needs. I just hate the PBA philosophy " off his board ", as it says nothing to the fans. Fans that have their keen interests in Packer good fortunes and are darn smart.

I wish TT would just change some. If he doesn't he's toast. That's not even a prediction. It will be just that. There you go Scott Campbel carry that around your you back. :D woodbuck27

Packers Forever!

red
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM

I would not call Colledge (who was benched a couple times) or Coston (who is often hurt and inconsistent) as established starters

its about time the other side of my brain showed up to back me up

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM

I don't think he's saying we have guys who are irreplacable at every position. I think what he's saying is that the Packers are one of hte best teams in the league and don't have to sacrafice quality to desperately fill needs through the draft. I agree with ballhawk. I'm not wowed by about 10 or so starters on our team, but I'm not desperate to replace them either. I'm definitly not convinced our young guys are done growing. Some percieved holes now might not even be holes even without draft picks.

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
There seems to be a few solid TE's left in Cottham, Finley, and Davis

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Rucker too.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't think he's saying we have guys who are irreplacable at every position. I think what he's saying is that the Packers are one of hte best teams in the league and don't have to sacrafice quality to desperately fill needs through the draft. I agree with ballhawk. I'm not wowed by about 10 or so starters on our team, but I'm not desperate to replace them either. I'm definitly not convinced our young guys are done growing. Some percieved holes now might not even be holes even without draft picks.

JH we're you disappointed in TT's choiceat WR for his first pick today?

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM

I can stat that I don't really like the Brohm pick because of all the media controversy that is now going to surround the QB position in 2008. We haven't really had that in Green Bay since Favre's early years.

I agree, plus i figure, me bitching about not likeing the pick wont change shit...

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 09:58 PM

I wouldn't argue with anything you stated; I wouldn't say we have all established starters either. Some of them either need to improve their quality of play or eventually be replaced.

Is it just me, or does Jordy Nelson sound like Easy Ed McCaffrey ?

It's nuts that Dallas added Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, and Martellus Bennett

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Rucker too.

To be honest I don't know much about Rucker

red

cottom is interesting

massive guy

6'8 270, can run and block

wow

lots of injuries though

RashanGary
50% of this forum was in doom and gloom mode last year saying Safety, WR, FB, RB and TE would be the downfall of Ted. Now it's OG.

TE came out of no where with a hard working guy developing.
S came out of no where with a hard working guy developing.
RB came out of no where with a hard working guy developing on NY's roster and Ted finding him
FB came out of no where with a 6th round pick
WR developed into a strength

Who's to say OG won't develop. Spitz was statistically the 3rd best lineman on our team after Cliffy and Tasch. He was equally strong in the run as in the pass and improved across the board from his numbers last year. He did this while playing LG, RG and C so he had no continuity. Why is it that he sucks? Barbre, Colledge and Coston are far from fully developed. Who knows what will come. The draft isn't over. The needs are far less at this time than the were a year ago and who's to say they are even holes. We won't know that until next season wraps up.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 10:00 PM

I agree, plus i figure, me bitching about not likeing the pick wont change shit...

What's the general cocensus on TT's third pick the CB Patrick Lee at #60?

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM

cottom is interesting

massive guy

6'8 270, can run and block

wow

lots of injuries though

Looks very impressive if he can stay healthy

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Personality wise, reminds me a lot of Jackson. Sort of mentally slow, but as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet. Great athlete, fits the scheme well.

I wasn't hot on the Jackson pick last year and I'm not hot on this pick this year. Like Jackson he didn't really start in college but we want him to be a starter in the NFL.

He's my least favorite of the picks, but maybe there is a field of thought that says mentally slow guys take time to catch on so even though they bloom late, they might still be really good.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Bretsky wrote:

" There seems to be a few solid TE's left in Cottham, Finley, and Davis "

Of those three:

5. Brad Cottam Tennessee 6-71/2 270 4.63
6. Craig Stevens California 6-31/4 254 4.59
7. Kellen Davis Michigan St. 6-6 262 4.60
8. Martin Rucker Missouri 6-43/4 251 4.71
9. Jermichael Finley Texas 6-4 253 4.82

I like Davis based on below;

Kellen Davis:

Kellen Davis
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 262 | 40-Time: 4.60

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has terrific size and a large frame with room to bulk up further...Understands how to use his body to his advantage...A great natural athlete...Good ball skills...Runs well after the catch...Displays potential as a blocker..Still has considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have great timed speed...Soft and is not very physical...Not a great route runner...Questionable instincts...Plays with poor leverage and footwork...Marginal blocker at best...Has some character issues...Has been a bit of an underachiever.

Notes:
Brother Josh Freeman earned a letter in 1995 for the Spartans...Also played some defensive end as a senior and notched 2.0 sacks...Missed some action in '06 after being suspended as the result of an aggravated assault charge...It appears as if the light finally started to come on for him as a senior and he basically doubled his previous career totals...An interesting physical specimen but a boom or bust type.
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2004 10 1 29 29.0 0
2005 11 15 122 8.1 2
2006 8 12 125 10.4 1
2007 13 32 513 16.0 6
Totals 42 60 789 13.2 9

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888

Brad Cottam
Height: 6-71/2 | Weight: 270 | 40-Time: 4.63

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and a big frame..A very good natural athlete...Real smart and a hard worker with top-notch intangibles...Above average timed speed...Gives good effort as a blocker...Works well in space....Runs decent routes...Has a little upside.

Weaknesses:
Has very little starting experience...Was not overly productive...Needs to play with better leverage..Is not as dominant of a blocker as he should be...Has to be more physical and aggressive....Hands are questionable...Durability might be a concern.

Notes:
Younger brother, Jeff, also plays tight end for the Vols...Missed much of his senior campaign with a wrist injury...Was named Academic All-SEC numerous times...Has the potential to be a nice all-around tight end but thus far he has yet to fulfill that promise...A classic developmental type who could blossom if given an opportunity.
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2003 DNP - - - -
2004 13 2 34 17.0 0
2005 11 0 0 0.0 0
2006 13 14 182 13.0 0
2007 5 5 125 25.0 1
Totals 42 21 341 16.2 1

Jermichael Finley
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 253 | 40-Time: 4.82

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has great height with the frame to get even bigger...Very athletic...Decent timed speed and quickness...Has soft, reliable hands and great ball skills...Good leaping ability and body control...Can do some damage after the catch...Gives pretty good effort as a blocker...Hard worker with terrific intangibles...Still has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
Really needs to bulk up and get stronger...Does not display much power...Sub par blocker who doesn't get much of a push...Can improve as a route runner...He isn't fundamentally sound and needs technique work...Doesn't have much experience.

Notes:
Surprise early-entry who came out after his redshirt sophomore season...Caught 4 passes for 149 yards and a touchdown against Oklahoma in 2007...Still raw and is basically a one-dimensional pass catcher right now...Has the physical tools and talent to ultimately be one of the best tight ends to come out of this draft but will require some patience...He'll be chosen based more on potential than production.
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2005 DNP - - - -
2006 13 31 372 12.0 3
2007 13 45 575 12.8 2
Totals 26 76 947 12.5 5

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Personality wise, reminds me a lot of Jackson. Sort of mentally slow, but as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet. Great athlete, fits the scheme well.

I wasn't hot on the Jackson pick last year and I'm not hot on this pick this year. Like Jackson he didn't really start in college but we want him to be a starter in the NFL.

He's my least favorite of the picks, but maybe there is a field of thought that says mentally slow guys take time to catch on so even though they bloom late, they might still be really good.

Well apparently, JH knows all, isnt it amazing what 1 or 2 youtube clips will do for you...
Overall i belive its a good fit. I dont know what JH's problem with him is, but he was slated to start his junior year but was injuried. HE started his senior year and played well. hes physical which is good, and i really dont think JH should be calling any player mentally slow, cause i bet he would have a hard time learning that shit.

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24292722/

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 10:17 PM

Well apparently, JH knows all, isnt it amazing what 1 or 2 youtube clips will do for you...
Overall i belive its a good fit. I dont know what JH's problem with him is, but he was slated to start his junior year but was injuried. HE started his senior year and played well. hes physical which is good, and i really dont think JH should be calling any player mentally slow, cause i bet he would have a hard time learning that shit.

OK :D

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 10:22 PM

"May have some trouble mastering the complexities of a pro defense early on'. . . Fr NFL DRaft Countdown

Let's lean on the may in . . "may have". :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 10:37 PM
50% of this forum was in doom and gloom mode last year saying Safety, WR, FB, RB and TE would be the downfall of Ted. Now it's OG.

RB came out of no where with a hard working guy developing on NY's roster and Ted finding him

Who's to say OG won't develop.

Good points. This might be the best post you've ever made.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Who's to say OG won't develop.

Good points. This might be the best post you've ever made.

Yes that was good. :D

GO PACK GO!

ND72
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Consensus from me is pretty good, especially since I pegged him at that exact spot at about 9am this morning when I posted it on here. :lol:

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Consensus from me is pretty good, especially since I pegged him at that exact spot at about 9am this morning when I posted it on here. :lol:

I'm also happy with the pick. Lee is far from a finished product, but he has a lot of upside and he's immediately better than Bush and would be fine as a dimeback some time this season. He needs a lot of seasoning though, but he has the right attitude and physical tools.

Also, despite what JH says Lee did start in college. He started every game in 2007 and was awarded with second-team all SEC honors. This isn't some track star who could never crack the field on a squad with no defensive prospects at all. He won conference honors on defense in the SEC at Auburn. If anything, he was a late bloomer in college.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Weird, I didn't realize they were only going 2 today. So, when are they starting up tomorrow again, 6 AM?

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree, we don't particularly need help at Guard.

Going into the second day, ANY of the three TEs mentioned would be excellent. I especially like Finley, although he probably will be gone before the Packers pick.

The player I would REALLY like to see the Packers draft in the third round is Jamal Charles, a rare combination of extreme speed and good size who I can't see why he isn't long gone already.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Thompson never does what is best, he does what he thinks is the BPA on his board. Was Brohm the best on his board for the 56th pick??????????? I doubt it! Lee had to be higher then Brohm. Could it be that he is thinking about something we dunno about? Who knows. I would have thought after taking Nelson we were looking at a CB for the next pick. Brohm looks to be a sleeper with more skills then Rodgers. Why in the hell would he send that message?????

Merlin, I have to say - finally - that I'm about sick and tired of your carping on TT with baseless accusations. What was last year? A fluke, I suppose? I'd guess - and yes, it's a guess - that if you'd polled the Packerrats about 65 -70% would've been thrilled with Lee, Brohm, and a basically unknown WR in the second round, plus an extra fourth rounder. And how do you know that Lee had to be ranked higher than Brohm? WTF? Criticize TT, sure - I dont' have a problem with that - but base it on reality, okay?

Based on the tenor of your posts I'd guess you'd secretly be thrilled if the Packers sucked next year. You ripped the hell out of TT last year, then they went 13 - 3, and you're still pissed. So your continuing ciriticism of TT suggests you don't want him - and therefore the Packers - to succeed. And what kind of Packer fan does that make you?

BZnDallas
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
i think day 2 starts at 9am central time... not a big jamal charles fan... he is fast but has a fumbling problem if i remember correctly... i'm not too high on texas running backs either... i know you and i are from texas, texaspackerbacker, but for some reason, UT running backs rub me the wrong way... just one mans opinion

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I think TT is not sold on the way Jones developed last year, and with DD getting up there, it may very well be a need pick as well as BPA.

I agree.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, come on harv. You know better.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Mad, if he were here live here he'd hate it.....for 30 seconds then he'd find 10 reasons to love it. And he may very well be right!

Viking Wishlist:

Brohm QB
Sweed WR
Jackson WR
Henne QB
Fred Davis TE

Vikings select S Tyrell Johnson

So, how did you spin this one?

Did the Vikes trade up to pick up Johnson? Beginning of the end to Sharper's time in Minnesota?

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I think TT is not sold on the way Jones developed last year, and with DD getting up there, it may very well be a need pick as well as BPA.

I agree.

I also agree. I think that TT and the scouting department do that none of us do is that he looks at needs that are more than one season out. Consider the following:

1) Driver is getting up their in age, and may have already started to fall off.

2) Jones may not have developed as well as they hoped, and may have a limited ceiling.

3) Both Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin are free agents after this season, and while those guys are not irreplaceable it's best to find somebody to replace them before they end up signing with some WR-poor team for a king's ransom.

With the Nelson pick, WR is unlikely to become a need after next year barring catastrophic injury. Without it? Who knows.

ND72
04-26-2008, 11:29 PM
I talked with 2 friends of mine who are Lions and Bears fans....both of them, their first words out were, "I hate you". My buddy that is a bears fan really wanted Brohm, and while he thinks Rodgers is the guy, sees it as a Win-Win situation for Green Bay. Either they are protected with having 1 of 2 pan out, or they have a solid backup, either way, or they both pan out, and Green Bay gets a future #1 pick for whom ever they trade.

Lions fan buddy simply said, "we took a decent OL guy, great...we have no running back or quarterback, and 1 WR who hates being there, and another who hasnt' stepped up yet. Then we take some OLB, who looks good, but our LBers are our only "decent" part of our defense. Awesome job Matt Millen."

I for one am extremely excited for today's picks. I read a lot on Jordy coming into today, and was extremely happy we took him. If Jones isn't happy with them taking Nelson, he just needs to buckle up and be a man about it and prove his worth. Brohm pick I liked for the same "win-win" thought. And Patrick Lee I picked at that spot a few weeks back, so I'm very happy with that pick. Physical Corner that will have time to learn. Gotta be happy with day 1. Now I wouldn't mind seeing Teddy package his 2 - 4th round picks that he can trade, and get another 3rd higher up so he can snag a TE for sure.

Tomorrow I would fully expect to see a RB, TE, OL, DL, and possibly another DB and snag a LB, as there are a ton of quality guys still availble on defense.

packers11
04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
This thread seems awfully similar to last years thread with all the uproar on the "not so sexy" picks... :lol:

Carolina_Packer
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Bretsky wrote:

Of those three:

I looked up all their bio's and believe that Finley would be the best choice of all of them. He's also the youngest. He had a decent number of grabs last year. Rucker is intriguing too. He had a ton of catches, but not a lot of yardage compared to the number of catches. I saw Rucker play a couple of games and he looks the part of an NFL TE. Cottam looks big, but doesn't have a lot of catches, and was out most of last year. Stevens I don't know about at all, and the bio doesn't show much. Davis also doesn't have a lot of catches, but looks the part of a TE. He isn't rated very physical, and I don't know what kind of pass-catching threat he would be.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I like Finley too. But we're likely drafting the #3 TE at this point, and I'm not sure we'd keep three. So I won't be at all surprised if we don't draft a TE at all. Finley would be a solid #3 though.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Frankly, Ted's risk is up front.

Would an old vet (Frerotte, Brunell, Testaverde type) be a better back up than Brohm??

For awhile. Certainly for a year.

The long term success of the franchise is having a quality guys like Brohm developing.

Ted likes competition at all positions. QB should be no different (Brett's gone).

Rodgers will not lose his job to Brohm. The Packers do need a new developing QB. If anything (knock on wood) happens to Rodgers you need someone.

In two years this will be a considered a wise pick.

run pMc
04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Despite knowing I shouldn't be, I was completely surprised by the Nelson pick. The more I think about it, the more I like it, with DD aging, Jennings likely looking for big money in a couple years, Jones developing, Ruvell never being more than a #4, and KoRo inconsistent and a relapse away from suspension.
I got a kick out of this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mIUu-nLx0lw (be sure to watch the last 5 seconds)

I don't think he'll approach Jerry Rice, but I have high hopes that this kid will produce. If nothing else, it's another option to return punts...Woodson shouldn't be doing that.

As for Brohm, I wasn't high on him at #30, but in R2 I like him as a backup. I don't think A-Rod's job is in trouble. I do think M3 will help smooth out Brohm's game and he could be a spot starter if Rodgers gets hurt. I'm not thrilled with how he handles pressure and his leadership is supposedly iffy, but he has experience and very good accuracy.

Don't know anything about Lee, but if he fits the scheme and can make a solid push for the nickel spot, great.

I was hoping Cason or Flowers would have fallen to GB, but I think this was a pretty good first day. TT continues to improve the depth at all roster spots.

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Bretsky wrote:

Of those three:

I looked up all their bio's and believe that Finley would be the best choice of all of them. He's also the youngest. He had a decent number of grabs last year. Rucker is intriguing too. He had a ton of catches, but not a lot of yardage compared to the number of catches. I saw Rucker play a couple of games and he looks the part of an NFL TE. Cottam looks big, but doesn't have a lot of catches, and was out most of last year. Stevens I don't know about at all, and the bio doesn't show much. Davis also doesn't have a lot of catches, but looks the part of a TE. He isn't rated very physical, and I don't know what kind of pass-catching threat he would be.

I like Finley better than Davis and well and he was rated higher than Davis though the JS Insider rankings. Big upside

the_idle_threat
04-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Big upside is probably better than big backside. :)