PDA

View Full Version : A list of players I like.

RashanGary
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Possible first rounders
CB Antoine Cason 1st
CB Aqib Talib 1st
QB Brian Brohm
WR James Hardy 1st
RB Jamaal Charles 1st

Round 2/3
RB Kevin Smith RB 2nd
WR Mario Manningham 2nd
RB Tashard Choice 2nd
LB Curtis Lofton OLB 2nd
CB Terrell Thomas 2nd/3rd
OG Mike McGlynn 2nd
TE Martellus Bennett 2nd
TE Martin Rucker 3rd
WR Jordy Nelson 2nd/3rd
DE Lawrence Jackson 2nd
DE Brian Johnston 2nd/3rd
CB Chevis Jackson 3rd
OG Rachal Chilo 2nd
OT Anthony Collins 2nd

Mid rounders with skills
OT Tony Hills
WR Donny Avery
OT/OG John Greco
DE Kendall Langford
DT Ahtyba Ruben
CB Dwight Lowry
DE Jason Jones
WR DJ Hall
CB Brandon Carr
WR Pierre Garcon

Late rounders
OG Mackenzy Bernadeau
RB Chad Simpson
RB Danny Woodhead
DE Chris Ellis
DE Wallace Gilberry
TE Mike Paterson
DE Rudolf Hardie
DE Bryan Mattison
WR Arman Shields
OLB Andy Studebaker

red
04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
there might also be some very nice DE talent that falls into our laps at #30 that i would like

draft a new DE, move jenkins back to the middle and we upgrade two spots with one pick

i'm thinking like merlin might be around there, maybe

theres sam baker

oh course the cb's like flowers and cason.

what about dan connor? i don't know if thats been floated around yet. we would have an insanly talented group of lb's. keith rivers might also be there

RashanGary
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm a REALLY big fan of James Hardy. He's as dominate in the red zone as any college player I remember. You watch what he does and it's truly spectacular. The amzing thing is that he does it on a consistant basis (36 TD's in three years). He has about 10 highlights where DB's do everything right and they just throw their arms up like WTF. The guy just punks people and makes it look easy.

Jennings = Deep threat
Hardy = Redzone threat
Jones = Rapes #3 and #4 DB's
Driver = Aging, cagey vet who keeps sets the tone and just makes plays

Rodgers = Lucky (compared to having Ferg, Taco, Andre Thurmon, Chatman and company)

Brando19
04-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I want Dustin Keller, Brandon Flowers, Ike, Joe Flacco, Dennis Dixon, Owen Schmidt, or Steve Slaton. I'd be thrilled with 2 of these guys.

texaspackerbacker
04-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Unlike the last two mock drafts, this list has much more I don't like than what I like. And I really don't like the idea of taking a DE. While I'm on the subject of what I don't like, I really hope we don't take Baker or any other O Lineman who is likely to be there at #30.

I think we will move UP and take a top level Corner--Rodgers-Cromartie, McKelvin, or Jenkins. If not that, I think either the Safety, Phillips or a RB is most likely.

I like any of at least 3 TEs for one of our second rounders. If we haven't traded the other second, best player available, but most likely either a Corner or RB, whichever we don't take in the first. Chris Johnson or the Iowa Corner would be my top choices.

Third or fourth, an O Lineman; Fourth or fifth, a QB; Somewhere the second day, probably a second Corner, a Safety, another O Lineman, and maybe a D Lineman.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I want Dustin Keller, Brandon Flowers, Ike, Joe Flacco, Dennis Dixon, Owen Schmidt, or Steve Slaton. I'd be thrilled with 2 of these guys.

You'll be lucky to get 1.

Farley Face
04-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm a REALLY big fan of James Hardy. He's as dominate in the red zone as any college player I remember. You watch what he does and it's truly spectacular. The amzing thing is that he does it on a consistant basis (36 TD's in three years). He has about 10 highlights where DB's do everything right and they just throw their arms up like WTF. The guy just punks people and makes it look easy.

Jennings = Deep threat
Hardy = Redzone threat

Rodgers = Lucky (compared to having Ferg, Taco, Andre Thurmon, Chatman and company)

1 (30) James Hardy WR
2 (56) Orlando Scandrick CB
2 (60) Craig Stevens TE
3 (91) Steve Justice G
4 (128) Brian Johnston DE
4 (135) Kevin O'Connell QB
5 (162) Caleb Campbell S
7 (237) Derek Fine TE

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Nick is full of stupid ones tonight.

the_idle_threat
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Perhaps full of alcohol tonight? :idea:

red
04-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Nick is full of stupid ones tonight.

that ignore buttons starting to look better all the time isn't it?

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Hardy runs bad routes, and that just wouldn't fly in a system that needs its receivers to be precise in their route running. Must have traits for our receivers: precise route running and football intelligence (because WRs are required to read defenses in our scheme and adjust routes accordingly).

DonHutson
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Possible first rounders

WR James Hardy 1st

I'm starting to think you may be on to something there. I've explained why in another thread, but I could see Hardy or Sweed if they slip through and I think there's getting to be a good chance one of them will. Personally, I prefer Sweed for the reasons Harvey outlines above. Plus Hardy seems like he might be a malcontent while Sweed gets uniformly high character marks.

If the top 4 CB's are gone, I like one of these guys over Baker or a lesser CB. Also, keep an eye on S Tyrell Johnson.

Bretsky
04-25-2008, 10:47 PM
there might also be some very nice DE talent that falls into our laps at #30 that i would like

draft a new DE, move jenkins back to the middle and we upgrade two spots with one pick

theres sam baker

what about dan connor? i don't know if thats been floated around yet. we would have an insanly talented group of lb's. keith rivers might also be there

Rivers ? He's gone by 20

If he's there at 30 we'd take him IMO

BF4MVP
04-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Aqib Talib is the most talented prospect who could be available at 30..If he's there, I hope Ted overlooks the pot smoking and just takes a chance on him..He will be an excellent cornerback..

red
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM

theres sam baker

Rivers ? He's gone by 20

If he's there at 30 we'd take him IMO

some people think he might slide because teams think he's too much of a southern cal pretty boy that he cares more about the lifestyle then he does actually playing the game)

red
04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Aqib Talib is the most talented prospect who could be available at 30..If he's there, I hope Ted overlooks the pot smoking and just takes a chance on him..He will be an excellent cornerback..

i seriouly doubt talib is even on teds draft board anymore

too many very stupid mistakes

but you never know

PackerPro42
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
A guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pick is DeSean Jackson from Cal in the first. I know he's not big and WR isn't a pressing need but he would add a nice speed factor to the WR core and solidify our return game.

I also want to see them get Martellus Bennett the TE from Texaas A&M and Tavares Gooden LB fom Miami. I also would like to see them get Steve Slaton.

Bretsky
04-25-2008, 11:59 PM
A guy I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pick is DeSean Jackson from Cal in the first. I know he's not big and WR isn't a pressing need but he would add a nice speed factor to the WR core and solidify our return game.

I also want to see them get Martellus Bennett the TE from Texaas A&M and Tavares Gooden LB fom Miami. I also would like to see them get Steve Slaton.

I've been on the Bennett wagon as well

Great talent, but potential character questions make in unlikely TT would go after him IMO

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Hardy runs bad routes, and that just wouldn't fly in a system that needs its receivers to be precise in their route running. Must have traits for our receivers: precise route running and football intelligence (because WRs are required to read defenses in our scheme and adjust routes accordingly).

Hardy wouldn't need to be a precise route runner immediately. The guy is huge and extremely athletic. He would be an immediate help in the red zone as a big target. Hell, stick him in as a second TE once in awhile and watch the LBs recoil in fear.

Javon Walker wasn't a great route runner immediately either. Most ultra-athletic guys aren't coming out of college...they don't need to be to have success in college. The key with Hardy is whether or not Green Bay thinks he is smart enough and has the heart to give 100% to becoming a great WR. We've got a hell of a WR coach...so if he wants to learn, he could.

If he has those traits, he would be a hell of a pick at #30. How often can you get a 6-5 WR with amazing athleticism at the end of the first round? As much as I love Driver...I realize the point where he starts to decline isn't that far off. We will need a capable #2/#3 WR in 2 more years...and Hardy's size brings something to the table that Jennings and Jones don't have.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Leaper, it's a 6'5" WR with amazing athleticism AND is also a great pass catcher and a truely dominate college player. He's got it all. I could see Dallas taking him.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
DE, corner, QB, yes, even receiver - I don't care so much about position as I do who the guy is. I guess if they drafted a middle linebacker I'd be like "WTF?" but even then, Ted's an evil genius, so who am I to say?

Not that I know much about any of them...but that's what being a fan is sometimes about.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Jennings = Deep threat
Hardy = Redzone threat

I'm going to be watching for when WR James Hardy comes off the board. I think it will be in the first round. He's got it. He may even go between picks 14 and 25.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Leaper, it's a 6'5" WR with amazing athleticism AND is also a great pass catcher and a truely dominate college player. He's got it all. I could see Dallas taking him.

Seems like hyperbole. If he was that good, he'd go in the top 5. There have been a ton of big receivers recently with great athleticism. Many haven't panned out. Some have. A tall receiver with 4.5 speed isn't that uncommon nowadays.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Seems like hyperbole. If he was that good, he'd go in the top 5. There have been a ton of big receivers recently with great athleticism. Many haven't panned out. Some have. A tall receiver with 4.5 speed isn't that uncommon nowadays.

I saw one in the mall the other day.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I saw one in the mall the other day.

:D

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
A tall receiver with 4.5 speed isn't that uncommon nowadays.

How many 6-5 receivers with 4.5 speed are in the NFL right now?

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:56 PM

This is the kind of sh_t Patler knows off the top of his head.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM

How many 6-5 receivers are there? Probably not that many. That's why I said "tall receivers". There are a lot 6-3 and 6-4 guys though.

All of the receivers here are 6'4" or taller. I don't know all of their times, but I'm guessing that some of them ran close to Hardy's 4.51 time.

Vincent Jackson
Reggie Williams
Brandon Marshall
Justin Gage
Michael Jenkins
Ernest Wilford
Matt Jones
Michael Clayton
Hank Baskett
Malcom Floyd
Maurice Stovall
Anthony Mix
Kassim Osgood

There are more, but I stopped searching after awhile. Lots of 6'3" receivers also. Hardy could be great, but I'm thinking his athleticism is a little overblown by JH. Normally, receivers that are tall with "amazing athleticism AND is also a great pass catcher" go in the top 5-10 (see Braylon Edwards and Andre Johnson). Those guys had amazing athleticism. They were tall, could jump, were productive at Miami/Michigan, and ran their 40s under 4.4 (not 4.51).

DonHutson
04-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Plax Burress is probably the best comparison for Hardy in terms of body type, athleticism, and attitiude.

Pretty good player now, but it took him several years and two teams to do it. But you put Hardy on our roster where he can develop at his own pace and he could be a solid pick.

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 03:42 PM
There are more, but I stopped searching after awhile. Lots of 6'3" receivers also. Hardy could be great, but I'm thinking his athleticism is a little overblown by JH.

The guy played basketball at Indiana...that is pretty significant IMO. He's an athlete who has great hand-eye coordination and body control. I'm guessing few of the guys you list as being 6'4" plus in the NFL played on an near elite-level basketball team in college.