View Full Version : PFW final mock draft 11:35an 4/26

motife
04-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Final mock draft

Chiefs could benefit from Dorsey's slide

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 26, 2008
Posted at 11:35 a.m. EDT Saturday, April 26

What follows is our final mock draft, as of Draft Day morning. Although we did not project any trades, we expect several to occur and simply matched teams with the players we thought were being targeted, regardless of trades. While we did not include Michigan QB Chad Henne or Louisville QB Brian Brohm to be taken in the first round, we predict that a team, or maybe two, will move into the back end of the first round to secure the draft's second passer. The Seahawks could still land the defensive lineman they desire if they were to move back. The Packers are also a prime candidate to drop down.

The Saints' interest in landing a defensive tackle could throw this mock out of whack, as the Chiefs will be in a position of power at the No. 5 spot as soon as LSU DT Glenn Dorsey falls, as our well-placed sources suggest he will. The Saints are prepared to move up to either No. 4 or No. 5 to land Dorsey, although the Chiefs may not want to give up a player as talented as the Tigers' defensive tackle if he falls to them, considering their needs on the defensive line. The Chiefs have the potential to really disrupt the first round with all of their draft picks and could not only move up and down the board several times, but may just wind up with three first-round picks. The Falcons could also wind up with a second first-rounder, with the need to protect top pick Matt Ryan critical.
The Ravens are a very likely candidate to move down, at least a few spots, if they cannot land Ryan. The Saints have expressed by far the most interest in trading up, and we expect they will land a defensive tackle. However, the prospect of coming away from Draft Day with both DT Sedrick Ellis and Giants TE Jeremy Shockey will prove to be more attractive to the Saints than ending up with Dorsey. We also expect the Eagles will make a strong push to land an offensive tackle, and we see the Cowboys, with two first-rounders, considering trade offers to move down with a lot of demand already being shown for teams looking to move back into the first.

Arrows reflect the trade interest of teams — up or down — in the last 72 hours, when the phones of club decision makers have been ringing frequently, as have ours. Juniors are denoted by an asterisk.

1. Miami Dolphins — OLT Jake Long, Michigan
2. St. Louis Rams — DE Chris Long, Virginia (-)
3. Atlanta Falcons — QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
4. Oakland Raiders — RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas*
5. Kansas City Chiefs — DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU (-)
6. New York Jets — OLB Vernon Gholston, Ohio State* (-)
7. New England Patriots — CB Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State (+-)
8. Baltimore Ravens — OG-OT Branden Albert, Virginia*
9. Cincinnati Bengals — DE Derrick Harvey, Florida*
10. New Orleans Saints — DT Sedrick Ellis, USC (+)
11. Buffalo Bills — CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
12. Denver Broncos — OLT Ryan Clady, Boise State*
13. Carolina Panthers — RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon*
14. Chicago Bears — OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
15. Detroit Lions — LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee*
16. Arizona Cardinals — RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois*
17. Kansas City Chiefs — OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
18. Houston Texans — OLB Keith Rivers, USC
19. Philadelphia Eagles — OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida
21. Washington Redskins — DE Phillip Merling, Clemson*
22. Dallas Cowboys — WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State*
23. Pittsburgh Steelers — WR James Hardy, Indiana*
24. Tennessee Titans — WR Limas Sweed, Texas
25. Seattle Seahawks — DT Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
26. Jacksonville Jaguars — S Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State
27. San Diego Chargers — CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech*
28. Dallas Cowboys — RB Felix Jones, Arkansas*
29. San Francisco 49ers — LB Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma*
30. Green Bay Packers — OT-OG Sam Baker, USC
31. New York Giants — S Kenny Phillips, Miami (Fla.)*

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:06 PM
DT Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

Since I never heard of this guy up until this moment, it means A) I haven't studied the draft much this year and B) Ted will draft him since no one else has mentioned the dude's name vis a vis the Pack.

But the short-armed Sam Baker? I guess, but I wouldn't be too thrilled. But then again Tausch was supposed to be a lousy physical specimen, too.

DonHutson
04-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Since I never heard of this guy up until this moment, it means A) I haven't studied the draft much this year and B) Ted will draft him since no one else has mentioned the dude's name vis a vis the Pack.

But the short-armed Sam Baker? I guess, but I wouldn't be too thrilled. But then again Tausch was supposed to be a lousy physical specimen, too.

That mock makes the baby Jesus cry. I just refuse to believe Baker is going to be the best we can do at #30. I guess they left Cason on the board for us anyway.

Balmer is typically listed as a lower 20's area pick. Sounds like a boom or bust guy with worlds of talent and a questionable work ethic.

Fritz
04-26-2008, 12:16 PM

That mock makes the baby Jesus cry. I just refuse to believe Baker is going to be the best we can do at #30. I guess they left Cason on the board for us anyway.

Balmer is typically listed as a lower 20's area pick. Sounds like a boom or bust guy with worlds of talent and a questionable work ethic.

Mike Sherman already drafted that guy a few years ago. Name of Donnell Washington.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
30. Green Bay Packers — OT-OG Sam Baker, USC
31. New York Giants — S Kenny Phillips, Miami (Fla.)*

I like both. Will TT pull the string and draft at #30?

He has lots of potential for good picks including a CB, DE or FS but I'll be surprized if he doesn't work a trade down or someonr more likely rings him.

37 draft picks in 21 rounds over three years and no 6th ( Big Deal in this draft? NO!!) but that MO calls this one a trade down.

I think he'il only use it if the right fella drops to him and that fella is big on his board.

A funny draft. Really good in top 70% of Round One. Then toss em all in a barrel and "reach in and pick one". All I've read says there's not a lot of difference in picks between the top 2/3's of round one and maybe even the rest of the draft, certainly through three rounds.

So trade down for Snday picks and cross your fingers.Haha. Shite!!

Not an exciting class.

PACKERS FOREVER!