PDA

View Full Version : we now have a real qb controvercy

red
04-26-2008, 07:36 PM
rodgers and brohm. a week before both drafts some said they could be the best qbs

both fell a long ways to us

both are very smart with lots of talent

Tony Oday
04-26-2008, 07:38 PM
AR is the starter for sure. He has earned it, he knows the offense that is a real no brainer...

Scott Campbell
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
May the best man win.

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
We won't have a QB controversy until Brohm seasons for a year and learns how to play QB at the NFL level. Then we won't have a QB controversey until at some point in the 2009 season Rodgers goes down and Brohm steps in and plays very well. Then we'll have a real QB controversy, but not now.

Rookies don't have get to come in and challenge the jobs of players who have paid their dues and are now getting their opportunity. That's the way the NFL works.

Partial
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
We won't have a QB controversy until Brohm seasons for a year and learns how to play QB at the NFL level. Then we won't have a QB controversey until at some point in the 2009 season Rodgers goes down and Brohm steps in and plays very well. Then we'll have a real QB controversy, but not now.

Rookies don't have get to come in and challenge the jobs of players who have paid their dues and are now getting their opportunity. That's the way the NFL works.

Anyone else wanna take this one?

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Anyone else wanna take this one?I will. Apparently he doesn't know ESPN real well. I guarantee that while there is no controversy in GB, ESPN will make one up.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Brohm is a clipboard holder for 2008 unless Rodgers gets hurt, sure a bunch of folks on here will mention Brohm's name every time Rodgers throws a pick, it will get annoying , trust me.

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 07:54 PM
No controversy. Rodgers has 3 years of experience with the team and 2 years with McCarthy's system.

Brohm should be the #3 QB this year...I hope to God we sign a veteran to a one year deal to back up Rodgers.

the_idle_threat
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I think this is consistent with TT's philosophy. He likes giving guys competition. I don't think he wants any player to feel overly comfortable with his job. Now I don't mean that there should be a controversy this season---I think Rodgers' head start in terms of development means it's his job to lose, at least this year and maybe next. But after that, Rodgers will have had plenty of time to establish himself, and if he hasn't by then, Brohm is ready.

Even Favre was pushed a bit over the last couple seasons by having a high draft pick behind him. Perhaps Favre didn't need this kind of motivation, but he certainly put in extra effort to get himself in shape, and his performance improved from previous seasons. Now Rodgers knows he has to get it done or there's a capable guy behind him. Nothing is handed to him.

If all goes according to plan A, Rodgers does well and Brohm develops in McCarthy's QB school and we trade Brohm down the line for good value. But there's also a very palatable plan B: if Rodgers doesn't hold up, we have a prospect in the building. If plan B comes to fruition, I'd expect TT to acquire another viable backup for development down the line.

LL2
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
There is no controversy! Arod will hand Brohm the clip board and say it's your turn.

red
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
brohm's not this completely lost puppy like most college qb's that would come into this situations

he's been running the WCO for 4 years already

he has more experience running our system then a-rod has

gbgary
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
there won't be problem unless brohm clearly out plays rodgers in the pre-season and they still give the keys to rodgers.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
brohm's not this completely lost puppy like most college qb's that would come into this situations

he's been running the WCO for 4 years already

he has more experience running our system then a-rod has

Running a similar system in college and actually studying it and playing in it at the NFL level are two different things.

KYPack
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
No controversy. Rodgers has 3 years of experience with the team and 2 years with McCarthy's system.

Brohm should be the #3 QB this year...I hope to God we sign a veteran to a one year deal to back up Rodgers.

I'd agree with Leap, but I found out he was a moron in another thread. j/k

A vet QB will be brought in to back-up ARod, the starter.

L'Ville QB's scare me. That system generates a ton of offense, but the QB's it produces tend to be overrated. Brohm is the very best of that lot. I hope he turns out well for us.

& I think he will.

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I think this is consistent with TT's philosophy. He likes giving guys competition. I don't think he wants any player to feel overly comfortable with his job. Now I don't mean that there should be a controversy this season---I think Rodgers' head start in terms of development means it's his job to lose, at least this year and maybe next. But after that, Rodgers will have had plenty of time to establish himself, and if he hasn't by then, Brohm is ready.

Even Favre was pushed a bit over the last couple seasons by having a high draft pick behind him. Perhaps Favre didn't need this kind of motivation, but he certainly put in extra effort to get himself in shape, and his performance improved from previous seasons. Now Rodgers knows he has to get it done or there's a capable guy behind him. Nothing is handed to him.

If all goes according to plan A, Rodgers does well and Brohm develops in McCarthy's QB school and we trade Brohm down the line for good value. But there's also a very palatable plan B: if Rodgers doesn't hold up, we have a prospect in the building. If plan B comes to fruition, I'd expect TT to acquire another viable backup for development down the line.

I don't see that happening trading Brohm for that fact the Rodgers is INJURY PRONE I mean he broke his leg during PRACTICE!

KYPack
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM

I don't see that happening trading Brohm for that fact the Rodgers is INJURY PRONE I mean he broke his leg during PRACTICE!

ARod tweaked a hammy in practice.

He broke an ankle in a game.

the_idle_threat
04-26-2008, 08:24 PM

You didn't read my whole post. You just described plan B.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:36 PM
A few things can happen.

1. Rodgers plays well and Brohm becomes a long term clipboard holder until a trade arises

2. Rodgers gets injured and it's Brohm's show earlier than expected

3. Rodgers plays so/so. In this case Brohm still sits on the bench until next year when they get open competition.

4. Rodgers sucks really, really bad and Brohm comes in when the playoffs are out of reach

Basically it's all Rodgers until next year when competition opens unless Rodgers really falls on his face or gets injured.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
I remember when Rodgers was picked we had people pissed off that we didn't get Brett a weapon and claiming Ted would never bring in legit competition. Those theories really were as crazy as they sounded at the time.

LL2
04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
A Rodgers jersey or a Brohm jersey? Which will I buy first? Now, that's a controversy.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
A Rodgers jersey or a Brohm jersey? Which will I buy first? Now, that's a controversy.

There is no need for there to be a controversy in that scenario.

dissident94
04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I love the pick. Gives up some insurance in case Rodgers is not the answer

I agree no controversy for game 1#

But what if Brohm is just lights out throughout camp and preseason. And Rodgers plays like crap all preseason. In that scenerio I still see Rodges as the starter, but Rodgers is still struggling 5-6 games in. You may then have a controversy.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I can only see a controversy about Rodgers and Brohm in 2008 if it's a matter of Rodgers trying to play through an injury that hampers his performance.

packerbacker1234
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
AR is the starter for sure. He has earned it, he knows the offense that is a real no brainer...

Actually, he didn't "earn" anything. We drafted him, and handed him the reigns to being Brett's backup. We at no point ever brought in a single player to even PUSH Rodgers for his spot on the team. He was "handed" the role and in no way had to do anything to earn it. Unless you call everyone passing on you in the draft because no one else felt you were the real deal is earning something.

AR is the starter "for now" because he already has a headstart on knowing the offense, however the arguments that "brohm needs at least a year to learn how to be a NFL QB" is a bunch of hogwash. AR has hardly ANY nfl experience. I actually think, combined, he has one game of total experience. He broke his foot in that span while playing, then got hurt in a practice the week after he saw the field.

While I am not saying AR wont be great, I just would of liked to see him actually get challenged for his role ont his team not just in the past, but now as well. If brohm is a quick learner and shows better intincts in preseason, it would not surprise me if AR struggles to See brohm get early season action and possibly taking over. I mean, AR has been "injury prone", so it seems to be, until AR shows otherwise, that Brohm is going to see at least one game this year.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I liked Henne more than Brohm, but I'm surprised that we got either one. I'm surprised Minnesota passed on both of these guys.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Actually, he didn't "earn" anything. We drafted him, and handed him the reigns to being Brett's backup.

Actually, he earned it in practice--just like most players. If the coaches weren't happy with what they saw in practice and the preseason, he wouldn't be the annoited starter heading into this season. The current coaches have been around him for 2 years and they obviously feel like he's the answer.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 10:28 PM
And to add fire to the flames
A-Rod and Brohm are both number 12

ND72
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
May the best man win.

This is all dumb...Aaron Rodgers, weather any of you like it or not, is our starter. I would fully expect Brohm to be our 3rd string by camp, as in expecting us to sign another vetran player. There is no contraversy, Rodgers is the starter, end of discussion.

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
May the best man win.

This is all dumb...Aaron Rodgers, weather any of you like it or not, is our starter. I would fully expect Brohm to be our 3rd string by camp, as in expecting us to sign another vetran player. There is no contraversy, Rodgers is the starter, end of discussion.NFL Network has already started one.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 01:35 AM

Can't Rodgers go back to 8??

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 01:52 AM

Brohm was given number 11. That's ridiculous, it's not even funny.