04-26-2008, 08:39 PM
when does it start tomorrow?

its gotta be early to do 5 rounds

BZnDallas
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
i think it starts 9am central

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Read most of the draft thread. Disappointed in the total turnout.
:D

Jordy Nelson - Under the radar. May not have the talent to be a #1 receiver, but seems like a good bet to be a decent #2 receiver or good #3 receiver. That's not a bad thing. Indifferent on the selection.

Brian Brohm - I was one of the few that liked Henne more, but I stated previously that I liked my top 3 QBs (Ryan, Henne, and Brohm). I was happy we got him. I'm surprised that Minnesota decided to put all their eggs in the Tarvaris Jackson basket. I had written this previously:

Most think the draft is average at QB, but I think this will end up being a solid draft at QB--mainly because I'm higher on Ryan, Brohm, and Henne than most.

Patrick Lee - Love this pick. I had him pegged in the draft game, and I wrote this:

We may wait to draft one [CB] that fits. It seems like Patrick Lee and Terrell Thomas would be two of them [that fit our scheme].

This, of course, means that Nelson will be the best pick of the bunch and Lee is destined to suck.

I wouldn't be shocked if we pick another QB. Have to think we go OL and TE at some point also.

BlueBrewer
04-27-2008, 12:31 AM
so what picks do we have day 2?

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 12:55 AM
so what picks do we have day 2?

3 28 (91)
4 14 (113) (from Saints via Jets)
4 29 (128)
4 36 (135) (compensatory selection)
5 27 (162)
7 30 (237)

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 01:02 AM
We can still go a lot of directions.

OT is deep. Could find another heir apparent to Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. Daryn Colledge could be an heir apparent to one of them.

OG to compete with Colledge, Allen Barbre, and Junius Coston.

TE to backup Donald Lee.

RB to complement Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson.

Can never have enough DL.

Probably need one more LB for depth.

S to compete with Nick Collins, Atari Bigby, and Aaron Rouse.

Heck, we could grab another CB and find competition for Jon Ryan at P.

Brohm
04-27-2008, 01:04 AM
I read somewhere that TT was comfortable with the current lineman shifting over to the tackle position once Clifton and Tauscher are done and that he would most likely look to add a guard.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2008, 01:08 AM
On paper the Packers have some needs at back up offensive line, possible offensive guards that could push for a starting spot. The Packers also need to look for a 2nd tight end in this draft, one that could excel in blocking. The Packers also could look to again add to the defensive backfield and also along the defensive line.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Forget to add that we still need a #3 QB. Looks like a potential pick in round 7.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 01:48 AM
QB

Potential late round picks that are the most intriguing to me (in no particular order) = Matt Flynn, Kyle Wright, Paul Smith, Dennis Dixon.

RB

One cut runners. Sounds like Chauncey Washington is that, if he's still available.

A one-cut downhill runner with good size, quickness and power Displays very good vision. Runs under control. He is a shifty and slippery runner that finds ways to slip into small holes for a bigger back.

Maybe Kevin Smith?

Keeps eyes downfield, has adequate lateral mobility, can cut back when sees defense over pursuing and can bounce runs outside when defense collapses inside.

Cory Boyd is another one that seems to fit:

Possesses good height and size potential. Runs hard and with good pad-level. Shifty back that shows the ability to plant and quickly change directions to hit the cutback lane. Shows good vision as a runner and will find creases when available. Shows good initial burst to and through the hole. Very good balance and body control.

TE

Some of the TEs that have shown good blocking ability include Brad Cottom, Craig Stevens (supposed to be good blocking in movement systems), Kellen Davis (character issues, but is talented and shows the ability to be a good blocker)

OL

Guys that can block in movement schemes:

OT John Greco

Can help guards with a punch and generally does a nice job of combo blocking up to linebacker. Locks onto defenders' frames, works from snap until whistle and can sustain blocks.

OT Tony Hills

A natural knee-bender with good mirror-and-slide skills in pass pro. He's big enough to engulf smaller defenders at the point of attack. Has quick hands and does a good job of keeping pass rushers in front of him. Very impressive mobility when asked to pull or block downfield on runs and screens. Fires out quickly in the run game and takes solid angles.

OT/OG Will Robinson

Gets off the ball well and can get into position quickly. Moves well laterally, can reach defenders lined up over inside shoulder and can seal the edge. Gets adequate hand placement, moves feet and does an adequate job of walling defenders off once in position. Takes adequate angles to downfield blocks, comfortable changing directions in space and can get into position at the second level. Possesses above-average range and can turn the corner when asked to bull.

OG Oniel Cousins

Moves well laterally and can reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder. Plays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows above-average range and can get around the corner when asked to pull. Slides well and flashes the ability to mirror defenders in pass protection.

OG Donald Thomas

Takes sound angles to blocks and gets into position quickly. Stays low to the ground, drives legs once in position and flashes the ability to root defenders off the ball. Does a nice job of climbing up to second level and explodes upon contact with linebackers. Moves adequately and is able to get out and pull around edge. Shuffles feet extremely well and can redirect in pass protection.

OG Kerry Brown

Has a quick first step for size, generally stays low to the ground despite height and can get into position. Takes sound angles to blocks and can get into position at the second level. Shows adequate footwork and flashes the ability to counter double moves.

DT

Two-gap run stuffers include Athyba Rubin and Red Bryant. There's also Pat Sims who is big enough to play in the Packers scheme and had a second round grade.

DE

Intriguing DEs include Jeremy Thompson, Chris Ellis, and Brian Johnston.

LB

Guys with enough speed to play in our scheme include Dan Connor, Tavares Gooden, Jonathan Goff, Bryan Kehl, Marcus Howard, Shawn Crable, and Gary Guyton.

S

Hard to say who fits. Only two safeties were taken, but it was supposed to be a weak group.

P

Being a homer, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Dragosavich from North Dakota State brought in as competition for Jon Ryan. Not with any of our 3rd-5th round picks though.

BF4MVP
04-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Maybe Kevin Smith?

Keeps eyes downfield, has adequate lateral mobility, can cut back when sees defense over pursuing and can bounce runs outside when defense collapses inside.

I would love for the Pack to get Smith in round 3..I hope it happens!

Guiness
04-27-2008, 04:24 AM
Let's do it!

Didn't start the Day 1 thread, so this is the consolation prize, eh?

Guiness
04-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Read most of the draft thread. Disappointed in the total turnout.

Patrick Lee - Love this pick. I had him pegged in the draft game, and I wrote this:

We may wait to draft one [CB] that fits. It seems like Patrick Lee and Terrell Thomas would be two of them [that fit our scheme].

Really? I know it's just fluff, but here are snippets from what Rastak posted in the first day draft thread

Has a lot of upside as a cover-2 corner

so he's better suited to play a zone-heavy scheme in the NFL

Caveat: I have no idea about this guy!

Guiness
04-27-2008, 04:43 AM
I loved the comment by TT that he was trying to trade up (to get Brohm!) in the 2nd, but couldn't find a dance partner.

I can just picture some other team's reaction when he called:
"Hello Ted - I'd love to trade for that #56 pick. What're you asking? What? You want to trade up for my pick? Ha ha ha, you're such a kidder. Look, I've got to go." Click.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 05:26 AM
Forget to add that we still need a #3 QB. Looks like a potential pick in round 7.

Wouldn't Brohm be the #3 guy this year? I would think TT would still want a vet as #2.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm surprised that Minnesota decided to put all their eggs in the Tarvaris Jackson basket. I had written this previously:

I am too, somewhat. Not sure where they had Brohm and Henne on their board but they had Tyrell Johnson #17 on their board, but behind Phillips (so where the heck was Phillips!).

edit: I guess they had Johnson ranked above Phillips.

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 06:20 AM
some happy reading for you guys, to pass the time.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/918107,042708mariotti.article

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm am glade that TT takes the BPA, instead of best player at your biggest need. Chicago should have taken a RB Rashard Mendenhall. Chris Williams has problems block speed rushers. LT take on speed rushers all the time. KGB on 3rd downs will walk by this guy.

red
04-27-2008, 07:57 AM
me and b mention briefly TE cottom last night

if he can stay healthy, which he hasn't proven to be able to do, he could be an absolute beast

6'8, 270, 4.60 40 time. likes to block, isn't the best at it, but he's learning. and has ok hands, not great

he only caught like 22 passes in his college career, due to injuries and ten just not using the TE in the passing game. but the guys seems to be a hard worker, and TT drafted another hard working often injured guy with a lot of upside last year out of tenn too

red
04-27-2008, 07:59 AM
i would also expect TT to grab one or more wr's

just because they are BPA and because we already have a logjam of talent at the position

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 08:12 AM
some happy reading for you guys, to pass the time.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/918107,042708mariotti.article

Made my day!

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
You guys said its at 9. is that ET?

red
04-27-2008, 08:22 AM

central

its starting in like 40 minutes

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 08:25 AM

central

thanks. IIts probably going to take close to six hours to complete.

red
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM

central

thanks. IIts probably going to take close to six hours to complete.

boy, i was thinking a lot longer then that

but maybe not, yesterday flew bye

mngolf19
04-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Vikes should be going OL, TE, late QB. Although they will still go with BPA if there is a big enough difference between need.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Vikes should be going OL, TE, late QB. Although they will still go with BPA if there is a big enough difference between need.

They've done a nice job of getting their picks turned in on time this year.

Fritz
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Not sure how Mariotti thought Angelo could've traded up to get Mendenahll and still kept his #44 overall pick to take a QB...

red
04-27-2008, 08:51 AM
i'm still looking for us to draft another cb today. maybe someone thats a bit more of a project, like molden if he's there in the 4th or ike. we really don't need ike this year. so let him sit, heal and lern this season. and hope he can stay out of trouble

RashanGary
04-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Wouldn't Brohm be the #3 guy this year? I would think TT would still want a vet as #2.

Steve Young and Jaws said this guy is ready to play. I think he's ready to be #2.

chain_gang
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
i'm still looking for us to draft another cb today. maybe someone thats a bit more of a project, like molden if he's there in the 4th or ike. we really don't need ike this year. so let him sit, heal and lern this season. and hope he can stay out of trouble

Yeah, I'd think another CB, would be a good idea, the great thing is there is a lot of depth at the CB position. I also would like to see a TE between Rounds 4-5, again that's a position with a lot of depth, where you can get value in those rounds. Here's to a solid day 2.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Steve Young and Jaws said this guy is ready to play. I think he's ready to be #2.

Give Rodgers two years to prove him self. If he sucks trade/cut him, and Brohm by then is ready to go. If Rodgers is good, trade Brohm.

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 08:58 AM
So looking forward to a long snapper...

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Lions trade with Miami now Lions have first pick of rd 3

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Give Rodgers two years to prove him self. If he sucks trade/cut him, and Brohm by then is ready to go. If Rodgers is good, trade Brohm.

You make it sound like Packer fans will accept 2 shitty QB years. Now that Brohm is here, I doubt they'll accep 2 shitty quarters before screaming from the bleachers....

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Bah. I still maintain that Ike was a 4th rounder when healthy, or a 3rd for a team with need. With a shredded knee, he's a FA or one of Chicago's 4 7th rounders.

Hell, is he even still in the draft, or did he pull out?

red
04-27-2008, 09:02 AM
someone i've mentioned before to watch for is brian johnston, a de from gardner webb

a sleeper to watch for

red
04-27-2008, 09:03 AM

You make it sound like Packer fans will accept 2 shitty QB years. Now that Brohm is here, I doubt they'll accep 2 shitty quarters before screaming from the bleachers....

i think as soon as rodgers throws his first INT or loses his first game you're going to hear rumblings for brohm

KYPack

No, he's a 3 for a year. We will sign a vet for the back-up job.

Rastak
Lions trade up and are on the clock.

red
04-27-2008, 09:04 AM
i bet the lions are going for connors

he shouldn't still be on the board

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:05 AM

just because they are BPA and because we already have a logjam of talent at the position

Nah.

Thompson's gonna do it just to piss you off, Red.

To top it off, he's going to TRADE UP to do it for a little flair.

red
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Nah.

Thompson's gonna do it just to piss you off, Red.

i wouldn't put it past him. besides the hawk and jennings pick i can't think of one of his picks that didn't tick me off

SkinBasket
Millen's going for Manningham.

red
kevin smith from central florida says schefler

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Schefter says Kevin Smith here....

edit: what he said.....

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Not what I was trying to say. Rodgers his earned the right to be given the chance to prove himself. If he doesn't put up pro bowl numbers his 1st year starting, should you give up on him? I don't think so. He deserves two years to prove himself, and if still hasn't put it together Brohm gets his chance.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Smith is a good player. A rare good pick for the Loins.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Kevin Smith:

Strengths: Patient and makes the most of his blockers. Has above-average lower body strength, instinctively turns pads when trying to squeeze through tight spaces and can pick up tough yards in short-yardage situations. Keeps eyes downfield, has adequate lateral mobility, can cut back when sees defense over pursuing and can bounce runs outside when defense collapses inside. Doesn't have great elusiveness but shifty and can make the first defender miss. Plays with a mean streak, has good upper body strength and flashes a powerful stiff arm. Runs with excellent balance, bounces off arm tackles and is tough to bring down in the open field. Is a long-strider and possesses deceiving top-end speed. Shows good awareness, does a good job of stepping up and flashes the ability to anchor when asked to help out in pass protection. Attacks the thighs of blitzing linebackers and is an effective cut blocker. Shows good focus as a receiver out of the backfield and shouldn't drop many passes that should catch.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to reach top-end speed and is going to have a harder time turning the corner at the NFL level. Lacks elite top-end speed and isn't going to outrun NFL defenses when gets a seam. Tries to make too much happen at times and dances in the backfield rather than getting what he can when there's no seam. Runs too high and is going to take some big hits. Doesn't run crisp routes, doesn't explode out of cuts and is going to have a hard time separating from man coverage. While extremely productive, played in the Conference USA and there is some concern about ability to make the jump to the NFL. Missed two games with a shoulder injury in 2006 and durability is somewhat of a concern. Missed a 2006 game because of disciplinary reasons and character may be a concern.

Overall: Smith started in 11 of the 13 games he appeared in as a true-freshman in 2005. In 2006, he started in nine of the 13 games he appeared in rushing for 934 yards and seven touchdowns. Smith missed two games due to a shoulder injury and one for disciplinary reasons that year. He started all 14 games in 2007 rushing for 2,567 yards and 29 touchdowns on 450 carries. Smith also recorded 24 catches, 242 receiving yards and one receiving touchdown last year. Smith doesn't seem to have the burst of a first-day pick and there are some minor question marks regarding his long-term durability, character and level of competition at the collegiate level. On the flipside, there's a lot to like about Smith's size, vision and athletic ability. He had a monster season as a junior in 2007 and it seems he is just now coming into his own as a football player. With all that said; Smith projects as a late-third or early-fourth round pick.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Still, of all the RBs you'll face in the NFC North, Smith won't put the fear of god into you.

That's Matt Forté's job! ;)

SkinBasket
Smith ain't getting no endorsement deals with a face like that. Looks like a 40 year old crack addict.

pack4to84
Rams on the clock need OL CB LB. So I say Connor

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Rams take OT John Greko:

trengths: Has a mean streak and flashes good upper body strength. Has adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to drive defenders when gets under their pads. Can help guards with a punch and generally does a nice job of combo blocking up to linebacker. Locks onto defenders' frames, works from snap until whistle and can sustain blocks. Has a quick kick step, extends arms once in position and can ride edge rushers past the pocket. Keeps head on a swivel, doesn't over commit and generally does a good job of adjusting to line stunts. Shows good awareness and can pick up the blitz. Started 49 consecutive games and is durable. Team captain last two years at Toledo has good intangibles.

Weaknesses: Hands slide too far outside at time, drags defenders to the ground and is vulnerable to getting flagged for holding. Plays too high and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Doesn't take sound angles to blocks when releases downfield, lacks the quick feet to adjust to moving targets in space and he can struggle to get into position at the second level. While has good size and flashes the ability to anchor bends at the waist rather than the knees and can get driven back into the quarterback by powerful bull rushers.

Overall: Greco arrived at Toledo in 2003 and redshirted the year. Over the next four seasons (2004-'07), he played and started in every game of his collegiate career--49 in a row. Greco played right tackle for the Rockets as a freshman, then moved to left tackle for his last three seasons. Greco still has to clean up his technique and add some power to his game but he has the toughness, size and athletic ability to develop into an adequate starter or quality reserve so he projects as an early fourth round pick.

Lurker64
Too bad, I liked Greco.

PaCkFan_n_MD
Still some good corners on the broad............

SkinBasket
So it begins. ESPN analysts ignoring the draft behind them 1 pick in.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:12 AM
So it begins. ESPN analysts ignoring the draft behind them 1 pick in.

God I hate that.

The Leaper
Still some decent CBs out there. Would TT grab another if one fell to us?

Guiness
The first pick of the 3rd round is actually quite a good one now...you get to review what's left through the night, and probably find a guy you like who slipped through the cracks.

You'd like to think they're more organized than that, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Phins - Kendall Langford:

Strengths: Has a great frame and shows the ability to play around 290 pounds. Displays a violent punch, has a mean streak and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. At his best playing inside and taking on blocks. Can be very difficult to move when he stays low. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle and is versatile enough to slide inside as a 3-4 end in the NFL. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler. Is a relentless pass rusher and flashes the ability to fight though double teams. Use hands to protect legs, stays balanced and can get over cut blocks. Drives legs once engaged, shows adequate lower body strength and can push tackles back into the pocket. Looks to knock the ball loose when gets to the quarterback and is a ball hawk. Tall, jumps well and blocked a kick during 2006 season.

Weaknesses: He lacks the burst and athletic ability to apply any consistent pressure as a pass rusher. Needs to know his role and must maintain bulk in order to be successful as a 3-4 end in the NFL. Plays far too high at times and can get driven off the ball. Lacks great awareness and doesn't always get hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback.

Overall: In Langford's first three seasons at Hampton (2004-'06), he appeared in 36 games (27 starts) and recorded 164 total tackles (42.5 for losses) and 18.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 11 games and finished the season with 72 tackles (13.5 for losses), six sacks, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. He began his career at defensive tackle, moving to right defensive end in 2005 before switching to the left side in '06. Playing at a small school obviously raises concerns about Langford's ability to make the leap to the NFL. He needs to become a more fundamentally sound run defender and learn to play with more consistent leverage. However, Langford has the frame, bulk and natural strength to take on blocks as a two-gap end in a 3-4 alignment. That's why we think the small-school product will not last long on Day 2 of the 2008 draft.

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Still some decent CBs out there. Would TT grab another if one fell to us?

TT did say he tried to trade up yesterday. He might not wait for one to fall.

red
04-27-2008, 09:14 AM
godfrey gone to carolina

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:14 AM
There goes Godfrey. I was never a huge fan of his, he always seemed to be more of an athlete playing football than a football player.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Decent pick here Godfrey:

Strengths: Is tall, very well built and possesses outstanding top-end speed for his size. Shows good quickness and is sudden coming out of his breaks. He plants and drives well and shows closing burst coming forward. He has the long speed and size to keep up with most NFL wide receivers, so long as he gets a shove in at the line and turns on time. He competes hard and brings a lot of energy to a defensive secondary. He is tough and physical. Fills hard versus the run and will deliver some big hits. A fiery competitor. Plays the game hard but also has been mostly durable throughout his career (missed only one game in four seasons). Comes with some versatility, having played SS, FS, CB and several different roles on special teams while at Iowa. Has excellent experience on special teams and won Iowa's Special Teams Player of the Year award in 2005. Covers kicks very well and possesses the speed to excel in that area of the NFL game.

Weaknesses: Hips have some stiffness and loses too much in transition when turning and running vertically. He's not fluid enough to keep with quicker receivers on double moves if he doesn't get a shove in. Continues to improve his recognition skills and confidence but still can be a bit hesitant at times. He's not fluid enough to recover on certain occasions when he's slow to react. Ball skills are improving but still below average. Needs to do a better job with his hands in press coverage and when attempting to disengage from blocks. Also needs to take more consistent angle in pursuit and break down more consistently in space as a tackler.

Overall: In his first three seasons at Iowa (2004-'06), Godfrey appeared in 35 games (16 starts) and had 95 tackles (three for losses), one forced fumble, two interceptions and five pass breakups. He moved from safety to cornerback before the '06 season, and as a senior in 2007 he started all 12 games turned in 65 tackles (one for a loss), five interceptions and nine pass breakups. Godfrey is still a work in progress. He will never have the quick-twitch athleticism or fluid hips of a pure man-to-man cover corner. He also is still developing his recognition skills, which are vital to a defensive back playing in space. However, Godfrey's upside  thanks to an outstanding combination of size, straight-line speed and toughness  is hard to ignore. Eventually he should emerge as a No. 2 starter at cornerback  or simply a sub-package defensive back  in a zone-heavy scheme. In the meantime, he projects as an instant impact player on special teams. Godfrey should be an early Day 2 selection.

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM

i think as soon as rodgers throws his first INT or loses his first game you're going to hear rumblings for brohm

They'll give Rodgers the full season barring injury. As many have mentioned in other threads, there is no way Brohm is going to come in and upseat Rodgers for the starting job in his rookie season.

He doesn't know the offense, but more importantly, he's not going to get enough reps in practice to learn the offense that quickly. Believe me, they are going to give Rodgers 90% of the practice reps now that he's been annointed the starter. Brohm just isn't going to get the reps needed to develop into a starter in his rookie year.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I like King...he's a solid prospect, albeit a little raw.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
If the pats get Connor I might just vomit.

red
04-27-2008, 09:17 AM

They'll give Rodgers the full season barring injury. As many have mentioned in other threads, there is no way Brohm is going to come in and upseat Rodgers for the starting job in his rookie season.

He doesn't know the offense, but more importantly, he's not going to get enough reps in practice to learn the offense that quickly. Believe me, they are going to give Rodgers 90% of the practice reps now that he's been annointed the starter. Brohm just isn't going to get the reps needed to develop into a starter in his rookie year.yeah, the team will give rodgers his chance

i was talking about the fans. if a-rod shows any signs at all of not being the next brett favre, YOU WILL start to hear some fans wanting brohm

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Falcons take Chevus Jackson:

Strengths: Possesses good height and adequate-to-good bulk. Will finish his career with excellent experience at the highest collegiate level. He has an uncanny knack for reading quarterbacks' eyes, as well as anticipating receivers' breaks. Made huge improvements in terms of recognition skills, ball skills and overall confidence as a senior. Shows goods balance and initial burst coming out of his pedal. Very good lateral quickness and lower body explosiveness. Is at his best when he can keep the play in front of him, read-and-react and close coming forward. He uses very long arms (33) to knock down a lot of passes. He's aggressive, physical and strong enough to hold his own versus bigger receivers. Is a strong tackler for his size and does a fine job of wrapping up in space. Fills hard versus the run. A versatile athlete with some experience in the return game (punts). Also has some experience at the safety position. He has been extremely durable throughout his career and is a hard worker with a passion for the game.

Weaknesses: Lack of top-end speed and hip fluidity limit his upside. Will struggle to hold up on an island versus quicker and/or faster receivers. Takes too long in transition and lacks the second-gear to catch up when the ball is in the air. Still gets caught on too many pass interference calls and must learn when to use his hands and time his jumps. Needs to improve his upper body strength. He lacks ideal ball skills  both on defense and in the return game. Can be too indecisive when fielding punts and lacks the second gear to excel in that area of the game in the pros.

Overall: In Jackson's first three seasons at LSU (2004-'06), he appeared in 36 games (26 starts) and notched 98 tackles (five for losses), three interceptions and 20 pass breakups. As a senior, he started all 14 games and had 44 tackles (three for losses), five interceptions and 16 pass breakups. In '06, Jackson returned 15 punts for 100 yards (6.7 average). Jackson does not possess the fluid hips or top-end speed of an elite cornerback prospect, which is why he will likely need to play in a Cover 2 scheme in the NFL. However, it does not take long studying LSU's defense on film to realize he's the most naturally instinctive cover corners in the 2008 class. He has a thicker body with good strength to battle through the routes or to come up and play the run. Jackson is also aggressive and will hit. If used properly, Jackson could emerge as a solid No. 2 or No. 3 starter in the NFL and he also can contribute on special teams. He projects as an early Day 2 pick.

ND72
04-27-2008, 09:18 AM

He doesn't know the offense, but more importantly, he's not going to get enough reps in practice to learn the offense that quickly. Believe me, they are going to give Rodgers 90% of the practice reps now that he's been annointed the starter. Brohm just isn't going to get the reps needed to develop into a starter in his rookie year.

And truthfully, why should Green Bay hurry Brohm along if he does turn out? You have a guy who has sat for 3 years, and is now in year 3 of this offense. He's earned the right to start. Why potentially ruin the growth of Brohm in the offense or pro football by pushing him into the lineup? It will be in the Packers & Brohm best interest to sit and relax and learn this year and NEVER see the field.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I wonder why Connor is dropping. Possibly it's similar (athough Connor is a much better player) as the fall of Ben Patrick last year. Patrick was highly rated but NFL teams really didn't like his upside and most passed on him at least five times.

ND72
04-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Dan Connor would be a real piss me off pick if the Patriots got him.

red
04-27-2008, 09:20 AM
I wonder why Connor is dropping. Possibly it's similar (athough Connor is a much better player) as the fall of Ben Patrick last year. Patrick was highly rated but NFL teams really didn't like his upside and most passed on him at least five times.

i don't get it either

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I see the bears pick Manningham.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Pats trade down......

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM

I have every faith in A-Rod, especially after the Dallas game. I also think I have the patience to stick to him while he learns the position.

But let's face it - Brett Favre has absolutely spoiled Packer fans and I don't see the paying public at Lambeau not scream for Brohm if A-Rod suckes.

Doesn't mean M3 benches the guy, just that the natives might get hostile.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Chargers take FB Jacob Hester:

Strengths: A versatile fullback/tailback hybrid type. Plays the game with great passion and intensity. Gets the most out of his physical tools. A team-player that will do anything a coach asks of him to help the team. Runs hard and shows good initial burst for his size. Will lower his shoulders and picks up good yardage after initial contact. A tough inside runner. Has developed into an excellent receiver out of the backfield. Runs crisp routes and displays reliable hands. Does an excellent job of coming back to his quarterback on scrambles and busted plays. Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and gets upfield quickly. Gives a great effort as a blocker. Takes good angles and generally gets in good position. Exceptional work ethic and toughness. Is a leader with outstanding intangibles. Has experience on special teams and displays the ideal mentality to contribute in that facet of the game in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks any elite physical tools. Is severely undersized at the fullback position. Gives up too much size in the phone booth as an iso-blocker and won't be able to win most battles versus bigger linebackers at the point of attack. He lacks ideal elusiveness and speed to carry a full load as a featured back and he needs to get bigger and stronger in order to effectively handle short-yardage carries in the NFL.

Overall: During his first three seasons at LSU (2004-'06), Hester appeared in 37 games (14 starts) at tailback, fullback and on special teams. He had 139 carries for 677 yards (4.8 average) and eight touchdowns, plus 48 receptions for 353 yards (7.3 average) and six touchdowns. As a senior, Hester played 14 games and led the Tigers in rushing. He had 1,103 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns on 225 carries (4.9 average) and 14 receptions for 106 yards (7.6 average) and another score. Hester is a versatile fullback/tailback type that doesn't come close to looking the part of a NFL player  and certainly not a fullback. He is vastly undersized as a fullback and he lacks the elite speed/elusiveness of a premier tailback. He runs unbelievably hard and seems to be an injury waiting to happen. However, Hester gives a great effort as an open-field blocker, he shows good initial burst and power as a potential change-of-pace (short-yardage) ball carrier in the NFL, and he has developed into a reliable underneath receiver. Hester plays the game with great intensity and he has the perfect mental makeup to contribute on special teams in the NFL. While he will never star in one area of the game, Hester finds many different ways to earn his keep, which is why he will likely reward a team for believing in him as a late-round pick.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Bears on the clock....Manningham, Booty, Doucet? Caldwell?

ND72
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
So....what number does Brohm wear? Personally I was surprised that Rodgers stayed with 12 after Longwell left. NOW, you can bet if Aaron has any kind of ego, he'll stay with 12 forever :lol:

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not really sure why the Pats traded down there. At this point, you just get late round picks when you trade down and how many late round picks are going to make their roster? A high 3rd round guy might have a shot though.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Damn. The Chargers gave up a 2nd rounder next year to move up into the third round this year?

Rastak
Bears take WR Bennet:

trengths: Appears to read defenses well and locates seams when sees zone coverage. Footwork is sound, makes crisp cuts and gears down quickly when running comeback routes. Has adequate top-end speed and tracks the deep ball well. Shields defenders from the ball and can make tough catches in traffic. Tough and is fearless going over the middle. Shows good body control and can adjust to passes thrown behind him. Shows good sideline awareness and does a good job of keeping both feet in bounds. Can make the first defender miss, picks up yards after contact and can produce after the catch. Reads blocks well, shows good instincts as a runner and is effective when used on screens. Confident and wants the ball in key situations. Gets adequate hand placement, keeps feet moving and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Has experience returning kickoffs as well as punts, has experience throwing the ball and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have prototypical burst and is going to have a harder time separating from man coverage at the NFL level. Though generally snatches the ball out of the air, occasionally looks upfield before securing the ball and is vulnerable to dropping passes that should catch. Gets caught watching the play and needs to do a better job of working back to the quarterback when the protection starts to break down. Lacks great elusiveness, doesn't show a second gear when gets a seam and isn't much of a big-play threat after the catch. Takes poor angles to blocks and struggles to get into position as a result.

Overall: Bennett started seven of the 11 games he appeared in during his true freshman season in 2005 finishing with 79 catches, 876 receiving yards and nine receiving touchdowns. He also averaged 21.3 yards per kickoff return and 6.3 yards per punt return that year. In 2006, Bennett finished with 82 catches, 1,146 receiving yard and six receiving touchdowns. He also completed two passes including one touchdown-pass that year. Bennett played in all 12 games of the 2007 season finishing with 75 catches for 830 receiving yards and five receiving touchdowns. He also carried the ball ten times for total of 22 yards, averaged 14.4 yards on five punt returns and failed went 0-2 on passing attempts last year. Bennett doesn't have prototypical explosiveness but he's a fluid route runner who catches the ball well and produces after the catch. He's also a willing blocker and capable of contributing in the return game. Bennett should come off the board early on Day 2.

CaliforniaCheez
NE screwed San Diego.

Rastak
Damn. The Chargers gave up a 2nd rounder next year to move up into the third round this year?

And then drafted a damn fullback.

red
WOW the guys on nfln just love all these guys and picks

yet you'll never hear those names come out of their mouths before the picks

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:26 AM
NE screwed San Diego.

Well, that's why NE did it then. I don't see "Tweener RB/FB" as a need for San Diego, but whatever.

Gunakor

I have every faith in A-Rod, especially after the Dallas game. I also think I have the patience to stick to him while he learns the position.

But let's face it - Brett Favre has absolutely spoiled Packer fans and I don't see the paying public at Lambeau not scream for Brohm if A-Rod suckes.

Doesn't mean M3 benches the guy, just that the natives might get hostile.

The more ignorant Packers fans might. Point is that we should all just realize right here and now that A-Rod is NOT the next Brett Favre and niether is Brian Brohm. Brett Favre has retired. We aren't going to see him again - he's not going to come back wearing a different number.

We should temper our expectations. Most of all, we should remember what BRETT FAVRE looked like during his first year as a starter.

PaCkFan_n_MD

And for a FB?

The Leaper
NE screwed San Diego.

Going to be some angry Chargers fans getting up in an hour...expecting to have a 5th round pick, but finding out they traded that and a 2009 second rounder for a FB.

red
04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
NE screwed San Diego.
like they need it. they got a first this year, and they'll get a 2 next year

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
NE screwed San Diego.

Teams want the pats to good forever I think.

Rastak
Ravens take LB Gooden.....

Strengths: Possesses adequate height/bulk to play MLB or WLB in a 4-3 scheme, and is a very good athlete for his size. Very smooth in his hips; shows good change-of-direction skills and closing burst to the ball carrier. Shows outstanding initial quickness once he makes the proper read. Displays excellent lateral quickness and is a sideline-to-sideline run defender. Takes quality angles and does an outstanding job of wrapping up in space. Most of his production comes as a run-stopper but his interception in the first quarter (7:10 remaining) of the season-opener versus Marshall provides a glimpse of his potential in coverage. He reads screen all the way, jumps the pass and makes a shoe-string interception. If coached properly, he has the fluid hips and speed to cover lots of ground in zone and can match up with most backs one-on-one. He displays the closing burst to make an impact as a pass rusher. Also possesses the physical skills (speed and tackling) to excel cover kicks in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Possesses adequate but not ideal bulk. Needs to become more aggressive and physical when it comes to taking on blocks. He's well built and is a solid tackler but he lacks explosive power. A bit too much of a finesse player. Takes the easy way out sometimes. Does not attack the gap as hard as he should at times and will dance around some blocks he should take on. Plays with too narrow of a base and gets washed out by bigger blockers too easily in the phone booth. Occasionally is a bit slow in reading his key. Occasionally will be a quarter count late and also will get caught peeking in the backfield at times. Needs to improve his array of pass rush moves. Gets held up in traffic too much and must learn better moves (spin, rip, club, etc.) to disengage.

Overall: In his first four seasons at Miami (2003-'06), Gooden appeared in 37 games (15 starts) and amassed 137 tackles (15 for losses), half a sack, five pass breakups and a blocked kick (which he recovered for a touchdown). In 2005, he suffered a left shoulder dislocation in the season opener that required season-ending surgery, which led to his receiving a medical redshirt season. In 2007, he had 100 tackles (three for losses), three fumble recoveries, three pass breakups and an interception. During his five years with the Hurricanes, Gooden played all three linebacker positions, including middle linebacker last season. In '06, he suffered a concussion and missed two games. In '04, a left shoulder sprain limited him to coming off the bench over Miami's last three games. Bottom line: Gooden was a tackling machine on a disappointing Hurricanes defense in 2007. He is a good-sized, fluid athlete with very good closing burst to the ball carrier. He certainly has the skills to develop into a playmaker in coverage and as a pass rusher. However, he is undisciplined with his reads, he lacks explosive power and he needs to do a better job taking on and shedding blockers in the iso-run game. He may fit better at WLB in the NFL. Regardless, Gooden is a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect as a late-second or third round pick because he seems to have curable weaknesses but only time will tell if he's coachable enough, tough enough and instinctive enough to take his game to the next level.

Fritz

And then drafted a damn fullback.

Wow. Maybe the Chargers should steal the old Patriots' helmet logo...a guy bending over...

red
04-27-2008, 09:29 AM
i'm really getting sick of the caveman commercials

those stopped being funning about 2 years ago

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Bills take DE Ellis:

trengths: Quick, anticipates snap counts fairly well and flashes the ability to disrupt running plays behind the line of scrimmage. Takes adequate angles to the ball, plays with a good motor and makes some plays in pursuit. Is fast enough to turn the corner, has above-average but not elite closing speed and is a relentless pass rusher. Can change directions quickly and is capable of developing effective double moves. Wraps up upon contact and is a sound open field tackler that Flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Tall enough to add bulk up and should get stronger at the point of attack.

Weaknesses: Undersized and is vulnerable to wearing down if asked to play an every-down role. Plays a little too high, doesn't have great lower body strength and is going to struggle to anchor when teams run at him. Doesn't deliver a powerful punch and can take too long to shed blocks. Relies on burst too much, doesn't do a great job of setting offensive tackles up to the outside before redirecting inside and isn't capable of regularly beating double teams. Lacks ideal awareness and doesn't always get hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Charged with obstructing an officer in late September 2006 and Virginia Tech suspended him for the Georgia Tech game as a result. Underwent shoulder surgery to repair torn labrum in right shoulder in 2003, slowed by shoulder injury during 2006 season, he missed 2007 spring practices after undergoing shoulder surgery and his durability is a concern.

Overall: Ellis was redshirted in 2003. In his next three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 38 games (21 starts) and registered 112 tackles (27 for losses) and 13.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 14 games and posted 53 tackles (nine for losses), 8.5 sacks, a forced fumble, an interception (which he returned five yards for a touchdown) and five pass breakups. Ellis sat out 2007 spring drills after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He had the same surgery in October of his redshirt freshman year ('03). He also suffered a right shoulder sprain in 2006 but played through the injury. In 2006, he was arrested for disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice. Ellis' injury history and problems anchoring against the run make him a fringe first day pick but he's got the frame to add some weight and get stronger at the point of attack so there's a lot to like about his upside in a one-gap scheme. In addition, he has the burst and top-end speed to make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher.

ND72
04-27-2008, 09:31 AM
the "tweener" HB/FB pick for the chargers is a good pick. They need a backup and a "bruiser" to give LT a rest. I like the pick for them.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Chiefs take RB Charles.....

trengths: Reads blocks well and shows adequate patience. Explosive, turns corner quickly and turns on the jets when gets into space. Moves well laterally and is capable of exploiting cutback lanes. Shows good balance, flashes a strong stiff arm and can pick up yards after contact. Changes directions well, can quickly change gears and makes defenders miss in the open field. Has adequate experience catching the ball out of the backfield and isn't going to drop many passes should catch. Fast enough to go the distance when gets a seam and is a dangerous open field runner after the catch. Doesn't shy away from contact and shows adequate awareness when asked to help out in pass protection.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite size, relatively high center of gravity makes him vulnerable to big hits and there are concerns about ability to hold up as the primary ball carrier over the course of a 16-game season. Hindered by an ankle injury during freshman season, missed 2006 Sam Houston State game with an injury and sustained an ankle injury in 2007 so durability is somewhat of a concern. Lacks elite lower body strength and is going to have some problems pushing the pile in short-yardage situations. Has improved in this area but still dances behind the line at times and gets caught in the backfield a little too much. Doesn't always practice sound ball security and has had problems putting the ball on the ground. Struggles to anchor in pass protection and needs to attack the thighs of defenders when picking up the blitz. Lacks experience returning kicks.

Overall: Charles started three of the 13 games he played in during his true freshman season in 2005 finishing with 878 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns on 119 carries. He also caught 14 passes for 157 yards and two touchdowns that year. Charles started one of the 12 games he appeared in during the 2006 season finishing with 831 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns on 156 carries. He also caught 18 passes for 183 yards and a touchdown that year. Charles started all 13 games of the 2007 season finishing with 1,619 rushing yards and 18 rushing touchdowns on 258 carries. He also caught 17 passes for 199 yards last year. Additionally, Charles ran track at Texas during the 2006 and 2007 seasons. Charles isn't a power back who can wear defenses down over the course of the game or consistently push the pile in short-yardage situations. However, he is a dangerous open field runner with exceptional burst to run away from defenders. Charles is tougher to bring down than his size might indicate and catches the ball better than people seem to think. His fourth-quarter production in 2007 is hard to ignore. There's also something to be said for his improvement over the past two years since turning full attention to the gridiron. With all that in mind, we feel comfortable giving Charles a second-round grade.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Guy I'd like that Packers to get in the 3rd:

Roy Schuening: OG, Oregon St.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
KC with another good value pick.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Good pick, Panthers take Conner.....

Strengths: Is tall with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Displays very good natural instincts. Is physical, tough and aggressive, but also disciplined. Plays with a mean streak and his motor never stops running. At his best when he's protected and playing in space. Reads his keys quickly, takes solid angles in pursuit and shows good closing burst to the ball carrier. Does a fine job of using his hands to keep blockers off his body when flowing to the ball. Shows good upper-body strength. Reliable tackler; he breaks down effectively in space and consistently wraps up with good power at the point of attack. Gets good depth on his drops and displays adequate-to-good range in zone coverage. Displays good ball skills for his position. Has a nose for the ball and always seems to be in on big plays. Is an instinctive blitzer with good closing burst to the QB when he gets through the line.

Weaknesses: Plays a bit high at times. Stronger upper body than lower body. Plays with somewhat of a narrow base and will struggle in some phone booth matchups versus bigger blockers. Good quickness laterally and coming forward, but takes a bit too long in transition when turning and running. Makes up for it with instincts in zone but he will have some trouble sticking with quicker RB's one-on-one in coverage. Needs to improve his array of pass rush moves. Character issues need to be looked at (suspended for three games in 2005 after being cited for harassing phone calls) but are unlikely to cause him to slip in the draft.

Overall: Connor appeared in 33 games (24 starts) in his first three seasons (2004-'06), registering 274 tackles (19 for losses), 7.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, three interceptions and an 18-yard fumble return for a touchdown. In 2005, he was suspended three games after placing a series of harassing phone calls. In 2006, he suffered a broken right hand but didn't miss any games. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 145 tackles (15 for losses), 6.5 sacks, six pass breakups and an interception. Connor was a first team All-America selection in 2007 and a second-teamer in '06. He played both inside and outside linebacker with the Nittany Lions. Connor's brothers, Jim and Mike, both played college football. Connor has experience playing inside and outside linebacker. From what we see on film, his best fit in the NFL will be at middle linebacker in a 4-3 scheme. Connor will need to add some bulk and improve his ability to take on blocks in the phone booth. He also has some room to improve when it comes to his technique in man-to-man coverage. However, Connor displays excellent natural instincts  versus the run and in zone coverage  and he has the speed to play sideline-to-sideline when protected from the linemen in front of him. Connor is a bit more physical and fluid than former Nittany Lion teammate Paul Posluszny (2nd round to Buffalo, 2007), which is why we expect Connor to come off the board earlier in this year's draft  likely mid-to-late portion of the first round.

red
04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
finally

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
KC's draft just seems to be oozing value at this point. It's nice to need either everything or nothing, you can just take the good players.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
The cats have some nice backers.

SkinBasket

I'm rooting for Reggie Smith. For safety.

SkinBasket

Balls. NM.

Rastak
49ers take Reggie Smith:

Strengths: A versatile playmaker. Has experience playing CB and DS on defense, as well as returning kicks and punts on special teams. Is a big, strong cornerback prospect with great agility for his size. Very quick and fluid. Can flip his hips and mirror receivers underneath. Displays very good burst out of his pedal. Very instinctive. Diagnoses plays quickly and does a great job of reading QB's eyes. Will get quick jumps on underneath throws. Shows adequate ball skills. Is also a very good open field tackler. Gets off of blocks well and is a physical, tough player at the CB position. Doesn't shy away from contact and will take receivers out of their routes with press-man coverage. Wraps up after the catch. Has enough vision, quickness and agility to contribute as a punt returner in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed  both as a CB and RS. Is quick and fluid, but doesn't display elite closing burst when ball is in the air. Lack of ideal experience at cornerback is evident at times in his inconsistent footwork. Durability is only a recent concern but toe injury must be monitored.

Overall: Smith was a productive three-year starter and an extremely versatile contributor for Oklahoma. He shuttled between cornerback and strong safety, playing effectively at both positions, and returned punts and kickoffs. In his first two seasons in Norman, he posted a combined five interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, 88 tackles (six for losses) and two fumble recoveries. Last season Smith logged three interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, 78 tackles (seven for losses) and scored on a 61-yard fumble return. A broken toe kept him out of the Fiesta Bowl, though he otherwise proved durable. For his career, he averaged 21.9 yards per kickoff return and 7.3 yards per punt return (one TD). Smith's decision to leave school early was a bit surprising considering he finished his junior on the sideline with a toe injury. He has limited experience at cornerback and still has room to improve in terms of his overall technique at that position. However, Smith's combination of size and athleticism is very good. Plus, his versatility will be awfully intriguing to many NFL teams. He should come off the board at some point in Round 2.

red

lol

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
KC: DE, OT or maybe WR?

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I think it would be our M.O. to take Brian Johnston in the third.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM

JINX

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
KC takes TE Cottam:

trengths: Massive frame. Is tall with a well-proportioned and muscular frame. Has long arms and big hands. Displays good initial quickness and doesn't have much trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. Displays adequate-to-good speed and flashes the ability to stretch the seam as a pass-catcher. Shows good concentration and strong hands. Plucks away from his frame and does a good job of securing the bfall in traffic. He has the size, strength and toughness to match up as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Shows good initial pop and will fight to sustain his blocks.

Weaknesses: Durability is a major concern. Hasn't been able to stay healthy and lacks ideal game-experience as a result. He's clearly not a flexible athlete. While he's quick and explosive, he is not overly fluid. Not a natural knee bender. Comes out of his stance too high and struggles to keep leverage sometimes as a blocker. He is quick and strong as a runner after the catch but he does not show much elusiveness to make defenders miss in space.

Overall: Cottam redshirted in 2003. He appeared in 24 games over the next two seasons (2004-'05) but recorded just two receptions for 34 yards in that span. He played in all 13 games (six starts) in 2006, turning in 14 receptions for 182 yards (13.0 average). A wrist injury that required surgery cost Cottam the first nine games of his senior season, but he finished 2007 with five receptions for 125 yards (25.0 average) and a touchdown in five games. Cottam is the most intriguing tight end prospect in the 2008 class. He had as many catches (five) in 2007 as he did operations during his collegiate career. However, Cottam proved to be the most consistent tight end during the week of Senior Bowl practice and his combination of size, agility and reliable hands could land Cottam a spot as early as the third round.

red
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
KC takes TE Cottam:

trengths: Massive frame. Is tall with a well-proportioned and muscular frame. Has long arms and big hands. Displays good initial quickness and doesn't have much trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. Displays adequate-to-good speed and flashes the ability to stretch the seam as a pass-catcher. Shows good concentration and strong hands. Plucks away from his frame and does a good job of securing the bfall in traffic. He has the size, strength and toughness to match up as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Shows good initial pop and will fight to sustain his blocks.

Weaknesses: Durability is a major concern. Hasn't been able to stay healthy and lacks ideal game-experience as a result. He's clearly not a flexible athlete. While he's quick and explosive, he is not overly fluid. Not a natural knee bender. Comes out of his stance too high and struggles to keep leverage sometimes as a blocker. He is quick and strong as a runner after the catch but he does not show much elusiveness to make defenders miss in space.

Overall: Cottam redshirted in 2003. He appeared in 24 games over the next two seasons (2004-'05) but recorded just two receptions for 34 yards in that span. He played in all 13 games (six starts) in 2006, turning in 14 receptions for 182 yards (13.0 average). A wrist injury that required surgery cost Cottam the first nine games of his senior season, but he finished 2007 with five receptions for 125 yards (25.0 average) and a touchdown in five games. Cottam is the most intriguing tight end prospect in the 2008 class. He had as many catches (five) in 2007 as he did operations during his collegiate career. However, Cottam proved to be the most consistent tight end during the week of Senior Bowl practice and his combination of size, agility and reliable hands could land Cottam a spot as early as the third round.

damn, i wanted him

another pick i love

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM

I'd rather have a quality OG with a long track record of starting in a big time conference.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Bengals take Sims, DT:

trengths: Has adequate height, good bulk and above-average quickness for his size. Has an explosive first step, does a good job of anticipating the snap and can shoot into the backfield. Has active hands, has and makes it difficult for blockers too lock onto frame. Takes adequate pursuit angles and is fluid scraping down the line of scrimmage. Plays with a good motor and is a relentless pass rusher. Squares up to ball carriers, wraps up upon contact and is an effective tackler that can deliver big hits. Plays with a mean streak, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Runs line stunts well and flashes an effective rip move when works inside. Can redirect and shows an adequate spin move. Keeps head up, gets hands up when isn't going to get the quarterback and times jumps fairly well. Played with a cast on hand at times last year and is tough.

Weaknesses: Has a tendency to stand up when he gets tired, lacks elite lower body strength and has problems holding ground against double teams. Doesn't play with a wide base, doesn't protect legs well enough and occasionally gets knocked to the ground. Sat out 2005 season so only has two years of playing experience and is raw. Appears lost at times, has some problems locating the ball and gets caught out of position a little too much. Can be overaggressive and gets caught too far upfield at times. Doesn't have ideal instincts, has some problems adjusting to down blocks and doesn't do a great job of sniffing out screens.

Overall: Auburn red-shirted Sims in 2004 and he didn't play in 2005. Sims appeared in all 13 games of the 2006 season finishing with 16 total tackles including five tackles-for-loss and three sacks. He started 12 of the 13 games he appeared in during the 2007 season finishing with 37 total tackles including 29 unassisted tackles and 11.5 tackles-for-loss. Sims also recorded 4.5 sacks, 12 quarterback-hurries, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and three pass breakups last year. Sims needs to play with more consistent leverage and he will never be great at taking on blocks in a two-gap scheme. However, he is a quick and powerful DT/NT who displays the ability to disengage and disrupt plays in the backfield  both versus the run and as an inside pass rusher. Sims only starred for one season at Auburn but from what we saw he's an underrated prospect with enough talent to warrant second-round consideration.

CaliforniaCheez
KC takes TE Cottam:

The vikings are building the Chiefs the way they built the Cowboys with the Herschel Walker trade.

Rastak
KC takes TE Cottam:

The vikings are building the Chiefs the way they built the Cowboys with the Herschel Walker trade.

Riiiiight......2 3's == many #1's......sure thing bud.

Fritz
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't know enough about any of these players to know much - only what you guys say. If I've heard of a guy, I guess I like him.

But that won't stop me from spouting off...

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Pats take LB Crable:

Strengths: Possesses an outstanding combination of size and straight-line speed. Displays good upper body power and is able to knock tight ends back on their heels with initial punch. At best when turned loose upfield and extremely disruptive in the backfield versus the run. Shows good range and gives a very good effort when pursuing plays from behind. He shows excellent initial quickness and closing burst as a pass rusher. He also does a fine job of using power and speed when rushing the passer. Gets adequate depth in his drops and shows adequate range in underneath zone coverage. Plays with a bit of a mean streak and does a fine job of using his strength to jam TE's at the line. Can deliver the big hit and flashes the ability to jar the ball loose. One of Michigan's most consistent special teams performers during his career and should make immediate contributions in that facet.

Weaknesses: Still has room to improve diagnostic skills and needs to play with more consistent leverage. Tries to take on blockers too high and loses power at the point of attack, as a result. He needs to improve his lower-body strength and struggles at times when forced to anchor versus bigger blockers when teams run at him. Shows better awareness versus the run than he does in coverage, will take some false steps and lacks the hip-fluidity to recover quick enough to get back into position. Takes too long to change directions in coverage and is going to have some problems staying with NFL tight ends in man coverage. Ball skills are below average. Has very good speed and upper-body power as a pass rusher but he needs to improve his variety of moves. Injured shoulder during true freshman fall camp and missed the entire season.

Overall: After suffering a shoulder sprain in the fall of 2003, Crable redshirted his first year at Michigan. In his first three active seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 34 games (eight starts) and notched 58 tackles, 14.5 tackles for losses and 8.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started 12 of 13 games at strongside linebacker and turned in 90 tackles (including 28.5 for losses, second-best in the nation), 7.5 sacks and four forced fumbles. Crable spent most of 2004 and 2005 playing on special teams. Crable's outstanding combination of size and speed are intriguing in terms of pro potential but he is a straight-line player so he may have to move to end where he will have to bulk up his considerable frame to become an every-down player. With that in mind, he projects as a fourth round pick.

Chubbyhubby
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
I was watching NFLN and saw under the trade section on the bottom of the screen that the Packers traded Jordy Nelson for some picks did any of you rats saw this?

red
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I was watching NFLN and saw under the trade section on the bottom of the screen that the Packers traded Jordy Nelson fr some picks did any of you rats saw this?

ummm, no

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:46 AM
I was watching NFLN and saw under the trade section on the bottom of the screen that the Packers traded Jordy Nelson for some picks did any of you rats saw this?

Doesn't make sense.

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 09:47 AM
We traded outta 30 to get him, maybe that's what they meant.

Fritz
I'm listening to Detroit sports radio, and the talking heads are saying the Lions' brass is happy because "they've addressed their needs." They needed on o-lineman or two, a linebacker, and a running back.

I just think drafting for need is a recipe for disaster.

I also think Cherilus is going to flop - slow footed, too tall.

The linebacker they picked is too small; I don't care how fast he is or what the Tampa two needs to have. He's a safety.

The running back I heard good things about.

Rastak
Hmmm, Texans take CB Molden:

Strengths: Has good size and is tall enough to add more bulk to frame. Physical, has excellent upper body strength and flashes the ability to reroute receivers at the line of scrimmage. Opens hips fairly well and is fast enough to run with most NFL receivers. Gets adequate depth, good awareness and can cover a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Tough, fills hard when reads run and an adequate open field tackler. Has experience lining up at safety and is somewhat versatile. While missed one game with an injury in 2006 has stayed relatively healthy so durability isn't a concern at this point.

Weaknesses: Faster than quick, doesn't explode out of cuts and is going to have some problems matching up with slot receivers. Doesn't always get great hand placement, can slide off receiver when trying to jam him at the line and lacks the second gear to recover once caught in a trail position. Has big hands but drops too many passes should catch and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage at this point. Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to adjust to the speed of the game at the NFL level.

Overall: Molden attended Toledo in 2004, appearing in all 13 games as a true freshman. He recorded 12 tackles while playing cornerback, safety and special teams. He transferred to Eastern Kentucky in 2005, and in his first two seasons as a cornerback with the Colonels ('05-'06) he played in 21 games and had 67 tackles (3.5 for losses), two interceptions and two pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, Molden played all 12 games and finished the season with 70 tackles (2.5 for losses), two interceptions and nine pass breakups. He missed one game in 2006 because of an injury. Molden is a small-school prospect who doesn't have ideal explosiveness and should have made more big plays at the Division I-AA level. However, his combination of speed, versatility and size makes him a good value in the seventh round.

red
04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Hmmm, Texans take CB Molden:

Strengths: Has good size and is tall enough to add more bulk to frame. Physical, has excellent upper body strength and flashes the ability to reroute receivers at the line of scrimmage. Opens hips fairly well and is fast enough to run with most NFL receivers. Gets adequate depth, good awareness and can cover a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Tough, fills hard when reads run and an adequate open field tackler. Has experience lining up at safety and is somewhat versatile. While missed one game with an injury in 2006 has stayed relatively healthy so durability isn't a concern at this point.

Weaknesses: Faster than quick, doesn't explode out of cuts and is going to have some problems matching up with slot receivers. Doesn't always get great hand placement, can slide off receiver when trying to jam him at the line and lacks the second gear to recover once caught in a trail position. Has big hands but drops too many passes should catch and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage at this point. Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to adjust to the speed of the game at the NFL level.

Overall: Molden attended Toledo in 2004, appearing in all 13 games as a true freshman. He recorded 12 tackles while playing cornerback, safety and special teams. He transferred to Eastern Kentucky in 2005, and in his first two seasons as a cornerback with the Colonels ('05-'06) he played in 21 games and had 67 tackles (3.5 for losses), two interceptions and two pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, Molden played all 12 games and finished the season with 70 tackles (2.5 for losses), two interceptions and nine pass breakups. He missed one game in 2006 because of an injury. Molden is a small-school prospect who doesn't have ideal explosiveness and should have made more big plays at the Division I-AA level. However, his combination of speed, versatility and size makes him a good value in the seventh round.

damn, wanted him too. texans are just going to screw him up and waste him

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Eagles take DE Bryan Smith:

Strengths: An active up-the-field type of player. At his best when rushing the passer. Displays good initial burst and closing speed. Is instinctive and does a fine job of finding the ball once he penetrates. He shows instincts and playmaking flair as a pass rusher. Good open-field tackler and shows some explosiveness for his size. Closes quickly on the quarterback, knows how to jar the ball loose and has a knack for recovering fumbles. Also does a great job of timing his jumps when he doesn't get to the quarterback and will bat down more than his fair share of passes at the line.

Weaknesses: An undersized collegiate defensive end that must add bulk and strength to hold up even as a rush-linebacker in the NFL. Height is adequate but not great. Plays with a narrow base and will get rag-dolled at the point of attack by bigger, stronger NFL OT's. He won't be able to simply run past his competition in the NFL, so he must improve his array of moves as a pass rusher and use of hands as a run-stopper. Graduated high school in 2002 but first season at McNeese state wasn't until 2005and he will turn 25 years old during November of his rookie season. Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to adjust to the speed of the game at the NFL level.

Overall: In his first two seasons at McNeese State (2005-'06), Smith appeared in 21 games (12 starts) and recorded 127 tackles (34 for losses) and 20.5 sacks. In 2007, he played 12 games and delivered 60 tackles (22.5 for losses), 10.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and a six-yard fumble return for a touchdown. Last season Smith was named a first team FCS All-American and the Southern Conference's Player of the Year, only the fourth defensive player in the league's history to earn the distinction. His brother, Ryan, played football at Stephen F. Austin. Smith is a small-school defensive end that must make the transition to rush-linebacker in order to make it in the NFL and he shows some upside as a situational pass rusher. However, he is vastly undersized even as a rush-linebacker prospect and he does not display the fluid hips or natural athleticism of an every-down player at that position so he projects as a late round pick or rookie free agent.

SkinBasket

lol

Yeah. I'm suddenly a big Josh Barrett fan, mainly because I don't want a ND guy.

Fritz
I like Shawn Crable. Good player.

Patriots know what they're doing.

Fritz
04-27-2008, 09:52 AM
hey, what'd the Lions give up to move up two spots at the beginning of the third?

Scott Campbell
With 3 picks in both the 2nd and 4th rounds, this 3rd round seems like a rip off with only 1.

pack4to84
hey, what'd the Lions give up to move up two spots at the beginning of the third?6th rd pick 176

Guiness

I'd forgotten about him...he sure was talked up before the draft - yet he's still hanging around.

Although, so is Manningham??? He was projected mid-second, wasn't he? About 10WRs there, and he's sitting at home waiting.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Cards take WR Doucet:

trengths: Possesses adequate height and is thickly built. Very quick and fluid WR. Shows very good initial burst off the line of scrimmage. He gets open quickly and does a consistently good job of plucking the ball on the run. Possesses very soft hands and is a reliable target. Shows the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball and can catch over his head. Not afraid to go over the middle and will secure the ball in traffic. Is aware as a route runner and knows where the first-down marker is at all times. Displays initial quickness and vision after the catch. Also has proven to be an effective open-field runner on reverses and as a kickoff return specialist. Works hard as a run blocker and does a fine job of sustaining once locked on. A proven big-game performer who turned in some of his best performances on the biggest stages (As a junior in 2006 see games versus Tennessee, Alabama and Notre Dame in Sugar Bowl; as a senior in 2007 see games versus Virginia Tech, Auburn, Tennessee in SEC championship and Ohio State in BCS national championship).

Weaknesses: He is more quick than fast. Will not be a big vertical threat in the NFL and lacks elite second-gear to run away from defenders after the catch. Durability is a concern after missing nearly half his senior season. He has spent very little time as the go-to-receiver in college. Will need to improve his array of moves versus press-man coverage. Lacks ideal top-end speed as a return man at the next level. He's thickly built but doesn't run strong and goes down too easily in the open-field. Also needs to improve his patience and learn to allow more time for his blocks to setup.

Overall: During his first three seasons at LSU (2004-'06), Doucet appeared in 37 games (15 starts) and had 103 receptions for 1,521 yards (14.8 average) and 15 touchdowns. As a senior, he played in 10 games (nine starts) and finished the season with 57 receptions for 525 yards (9.2 average) and five TDs. For his career, he also had 12 rushing attempts for 61 yards (5.1 average) and a score; 13 kickoff returns for 220 yards (16.9 average); and four punt returns for 20 yards (5.0 average). Doucet was hindered by a severe groin pull in 2007, missing four games (and virtually all of a fifth). Doucet was a much bigger vertical threat in 2006 when working as the No. 3 receiver behind a pair of first-rounders in Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs, No. 23 overall) and Craig Davis (Chargers, No. 30 overall). When asked to take over as the go-to-target in 2007, Doucet was still reliable but not nearly as explosive. There's a lot to like about Doucet as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in the NFL. He is quick and tough with reliable hands and good blocking skills. However, he lacks the deep-speed of a vertical threat and won't get open as consistently in the NFL. Durability issues as a senior won't help his draft stock, either. Overall, Doucet is a bit of an overrated prospect that should not be considered among the elite tier of 2008 receivers. We would not recommend selecting until the second round.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
With 3 picks in both the 2nd and 4th rounds, this 3rd round seems like a rip off with only 1.

How do you think I feel? :P

red
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM

don't worry, i'm pretty sure we'll be trading at least one of those picks in the 4th

hell, we might trade the pick coming up

red
04-27-2008, 09:55 AM

why are you even here?

shouldn't you be at the bar for a couple more hours?

Rastak
KC takes S Morgan:

Strengths: Has adequate top-end speed, shows good awareness and does an adequate job of covering the deep half of the field when asked to drop into zone coverage. Generally diagnoses plays quickly and seems to do a good job of getting his secondary in position. Occasionally bites on play action but doesn't take too many false steps and rarely gets caught out of position very often. Has good ball skills, tall enough to compete for jump balls and can make plays in coverage. Plays with a mean streak, shows adequate upper body strength and flashes the ability to shed blocks. Takes adequate angles to the ball and is relentless in pursuit. Isn't going to deliver many big hits but is an effective open field tackler that wraps ball carriers' legs up. Blocked a punt against Middle Tennessee State in 2005, took a fake punt 44 yards against Virginia tech in 2005, blocked a punt against Akron in 2006 and has ample experience covering kicks. Vocal, gets teammates into position and is a leader on the field.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite range and can't play a centerfielder type role. Takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run and lacks the burst to recover once caught in a trail position. Isn't explosive, takes too long to change directions and is going to have problems matching up with slot receivers as well as tight ends in man coverage. Step slow getting out of backpedal and doesn't show great closing speed moving forward. Lacks elite size, plays a little too high and can get driven back when offensive linemen are able to lock onto his frame. Missed entire senior year of high school after dislocating hip in a car accident, took a medical red-shirt in 2004 because of the hip injury and durability is a concern.

Overall: Morgan appeared in the first two games of his true freshman season in 2004 but a lingering hip injury forced him to take a medical red-shirt that year. He appeared in 12 games of the 2005 season seeing action on 242 special teams' snaps and playing an increased role on defense as the season progressed. Morgan started one game in 2006 while continuing to provide quality depth on defense and making an impact on special teams. He finished the year with 82 total tackles. Morgan started ten of the 12 games he appeared in during the 2007 season finishing with a team-high 97 total-tackles including 73 unassisted tackles and two tackles-for-loss. He also recorded three interceptions, one forced fumble and six pass breakups last year. Morgan appears to have a good feel for the game and is the type of safety that can get the rest of the secondary in position. He does not excel in any one specific area but he is a solid all-round safety with enough versatility to play the high-point in deep-middle coverage on one play and then an in-the-box the following playing. Morgan lacks ideal hip fluidity, so he may never develop NFL caliber man-coverage skills. However, he is a tough and unrelenting run defender who plays bigger than his measurables indicate and he also can hold his own in zone coverage. Plus, Morgan should make an immediate impact on special teams. He projects as a late-second or third-round pick.

ND72
I think everytime the Chiefs pick, I let a OOOO come out right away...

Fritz
red, this will only happen if there's a player sitting there who fits an obvious Packer need (tight end?) and has a big name we all recognize and like.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:56 AM

why are you even here?

I'm here because you are too damn lazy to post the Bios...... :wink:

red
04-27-2008, 09:56 AM

I'd forgotten about him...he sure was talked up before the draft - yet he's still hanging around.

Although, so is Manningham??? He was projected mid-second, wasn't he? About 10WRs there, and he's sitting at home waiting.

i was saying manningham was taken right off of some teams boards

looks like its a lot of teams boards

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Cards take WR Doucet:

trengths: Possesses adequate height and is thickly built. Very quick and fluid WR. Shows very good initial burst off the line of scrimmage. He gets open quickly and does a consistently good job of plucking the ball on the run. Possesses very soft hands and is a reliable target. Shows the ability to adjust to the poorly thrown ball and can catch over his head. Not afraid to go over the middle and will secure the ball in traffic. Is aware as a route runner and knows where the first-down marker is at all times. Displays initial quickness and vision after the catch. Also has proven to be an effective open-field runner on reverses and as a kickoff return specialist. Works hard as a run blocker and does a fine job of sustaining once locked on. A proven big-game performer who turned in some of his best performances on the biggest stages (As a junior in 2006 see games versus Tennessee, Alabama and Notre Dame in Sugar Bowl; as a senior in 2007 see games versus Virginia Tech, Auburn, Tennessee in SEC championship and Ohio State in BCS national championship).

Weaknesses: He is more quick than fast. Will not be a big vertical threat in the NFL and lacks elite second-gear to run away from defenders after the catch. Durability is a concern after missing nearly half his senior season. He has spent very little time as the go-to-receiver in college. Will need to improve his array of moves versus press-man coverage. Lacks ideal top-end speed as a return man at the next level. He's thickly built but doesn't run strong and goes down too easily in the open-field. Also needs to improve his patience and learn to allow more time for his blocks to setup.

Overall: During his first three seasons at LSU (2004-'06), Doucet appeared in 37 games (15 starts) and had 103 receptions for 1,521 yards (14.8 average) and 15 touchdowns. As a senior, he played in 10 games (nine starts) and finished the season with 57 receptions for 525 yards (9.2 average) and five TDs. For his career, he also had 12 rushing attempts for 61 yards (5.1 average) and a score; 13 kickoff returns for 220 yards (16.9 average); and four punt returns for 20 yards (5.0 average). Doucet was hindered by a severe groin pull in 2007, missing four games (and virtually all of a fifth). Doucet was a much bigger vertical threat in 2006 when working as the No. 3 receiver behind a pair of first-rounders in Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs, No. 23 overall) and Craig Davis (Chargers, No. 30 overall). When asked to take over as the go-to-target in 2007, Doucet was still reliable but not nearly as explosive. There's a lot to like about Doucet as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in the NFL. He is quick and tough with reliable hands and good blocking skills. However, he lacks the deep-speed of a vertical threat and won't get open as consistently in the NFL. Durability issues as a senior won't help his draft stock, either. Overall, Doucet is a bit of an overrated prospect that should not be considered among the elite tier of 2008 receivers. We would not recommend selecting until the second round.

He is no Jordy Nelson.

red

why are you even here?

thats true

how the hell do you get them up so quick?

you have bio's found copied and pasted by the time i can type. damn, i wanted him

chain_gang
Anthony Collins, Eric Young, or Kellen Davis I wouldn't mind. Eric Young could play any position along the offensive line. Collins would be a good tackle prospect to develop behind Clifton or Tauscher.

red
04-27-2008, 09:58 AM
ryan you don't have a GF you freaking pole toker

Rastak
04-27-2008, 09:58 AM

why are you even here?

thats true

how the hell do you get them up so quick?

you have bio's found copied and pasted by the time i can type. damn, i wanted him

Gotta love that tabbed browsing.....

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 09:59 AM

why are you even here?

Was that another not too subtle reference to Jared Allen?

:P

red
LOL

Guiness

Hairy and lumpy?
(Wild guess here)
(sorry I couldn't come up with something better)

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Bucs take OG Zuttah:

Strengths: An experienced lineman with versatility; he has started at guard and tackle during his collegiate career. Excellent technique and overall consistency. He plays with balance and stays under control. A natural knee bender that can mirror-and-slide once set in pass pro. Does a great job with his hand placement and displays adequate upper-body power. Works hard to sustain his blocks and keeps his feet moving. Takes excellent angles as a run blocker and generally is able to get a push. Does a good job of staying low and anchoring versus the bull rush despite his lack of ideal size.

Weaknesses: A short college tackle that will need to move inside at the next level. Must improve his bulk without losing any of his quickness. Already lacks ideal quickness in his pass pro set. Will have some trouble versus elite speed rushers. He has good upper-body power but he's not a mauler that can engulf smaller defenders at the point of attack. He's a very solid player but he has little room for improvement, thus limited upside. Durability is only a minor concern after he missed three games due to an ankle injury in 2005.

Overall: Zuttah played in 31 games (27 starts) in his first three seasons at Rutgers (2004-06). He played every position on the line except center in '04, started at left guard in '05 and started at right tackle in 2006. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games at right tackle. Zuttah didn't allow a sack in his last two seasons with the Scarlet Knights. He missed three games in 2005 because of an ankle injury. Zuttah played guard and tackle while at Rutgers but his best chance of making it in the NFL is inside at guard because he isn't athletic or quick enough to make it at tackle. In addition, he is a developmental prospect at guard because he doesn't have ideal weight or lower body strength for the position. As a result, Zuttah projects as a seventh round pick.

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
As a result, Zuttah projects as a seventh round pick.

Or 3rd if you're in TB. Whatever.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
ryan you don't have a GF you freaking pole toker

After the contract he will.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
21 picks in the first hour. That's a pretty good clip.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Falcons take WR Douglas:

trengths: Supremely productive receiver with excellent quickness and speed. He's dangerous when he gets the ball in space. Displays very good initial burst and some elusiveness after the catch. At his best when he gets a clean release. Gets into his routes very quickly and has the acceleration to get over the top of most defenders one-on-one. He shows outstanding instincts as it pertains to reading coverage and finding soft spots in zone. Has some experience in the return game. Has some upside in that department because of hands, speed and elusiveness. Gives a good effort as a run blocker.

Weaknesses: A vastly undersized receiver with below-average height and marginal bulk. He has been durable in college but he must get bigger and stronger in order to hold up in the NFL. Will get jammed up at the line of scrimmage by more physical DB's in press coverage. Has a tendency to round off his routes at times. Needs to be crisper in and out of breaks in order to consistently separate versus more talented NFL DB's. Has benefited from spread system and very good QB play in college. Lets the ball get into his pads too frequently and must learn to pluck the ball with his hands more consistently. Effort is good but his lack of size and strength limits his effectiveness as a stalk blocker.

Overall: After a redshirt year in 2003, Douglas played in 37 games (14 starts) in his first three seasons at Louisville (2004-'06), recording 102 receptions for 1,765 yards (17.3 average) and eight touchdowns. He had an excellent senior year in 2007, one made even more impressive by the fact that he was hindered by injury for perhaps half the season. He started all 10 games in which he played, hauling in 71 catches for 1,159 yards (16.3 average) and seven TDs to rank third in the country in receiving yards per game (115.9) and 12th in receptions per game (7.1). Douglas also had 19 rushing attempts for 162 yards (8.5 average) and a score; 18 kickoff returns for 354 yards (19.7 average); six punt returns for 16 yards; and 17 tackles (plus two fumble recoveries). He missed two games last season after suffering a right ankle sprain and deep contusion. Douglas is an undersized but extremely productive receiver at the collegiate level. He projects as a No. 3 or No. 4 slot-WR with some potential as a punt return specialist in the NFL. While there's lots to like about his natural instincts, quickness and playmaking ability, the more we watch Douglas on film the more concerned we become about his fragile frame. His lack of ideal size will always put a ceiling on his potential and generate concerns regarding his long-term durability. Regardless, a team willing to take a risk on the diminutive playmaker should do so in the third round.

Fritz
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
This is gonna sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind the Pack taking another QB in round three or four. That O'Connell dude? Josh Johnson?

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
TEN could draft Richard Simmons to play QB and they would still be a boring team.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Titans take TE Stevens:

Strengths: Is tall with decent bulk and has room on his frame to get bigger. Is a smooth athlete for his position. Lacks ideal top-end speed but shows good burst off the line of scrimmage and gets into his routes quickly. He is a crisp route-runner. Occasionally lets the ball get into his pads, but he is a reliable target and he does an outstanding job of catching and securing the ball in traffic. He displays good toughness and upper-body power for a smaller TE/H-Back type. Isn't afraid to mix it up and will knock some smaller defenders back with his initial hand-punch. Technically sound blocker that does a fine job of using leverage and hand-placement to his advantage. Has experience covering kicks and ca contribute on special teams. He has shown a lot of toughness playing through injuries while at Cal. Suffered a concussion on the opening kickoff of Tennessee game in 2006 and did not play the remainder of that game. Otherwise, he has been extremely durable and reliable throughout his career.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk. Is adequate blocking on the move but lacks the base and lower-body strength to consistently create a new line of scrimmage as an in-line blocker. He is a fluid athlete but lacks good top-end speed. Will not be a threat to stretch the seam and doesn't have the second-gear to run past defenders after the catch. Also has had some fumbling problems and must learn to better protect the ball.

Overall: Stevens was redshirted in 2003. In his first three seasons at Cal (2004-06), he appeared in 37 games (20 starts) and had 34 receptions for 465 yards (13.7 average) and four touchdowns. As a senior, he started all 13 games and pulled in 17 receptions for 204 yards (12.0 average) and three touchdowns. Bottom line: Stevens' lack of elite speed and bulk will keep him out of the first day of the draft. However, he has been a durable player and reliable target throughout his collegiate career and he's talented enough to contribute as a sub-package player in the NFL. In addition, Cal doesn't feature its tight ends in the passing game and the scheme played a role in Stevens' lack of production as a receiver. With all of that in mind Stevens projects as a late fifth round pick or early sixth round pick.

ND72
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Remember, Packers were rumored to be extremely interested in Jermichael Finley from Texas.

Chubbyhubby
In the Paclers war room they are watching ESPN!!

CaliforniaCheez
This is gonna sound crazy, but I wouldn't mind the Pack taking another QB in round three or four. That O'Connell dude? Josh Johnson?

Better than Jerry Babb

J-Rok
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Checking in from Belgium to just make one little comment.

That guy's name is Harry Douglas.

I don't understand why I think that's funny, but I'm thinking it's because I'm immature.

red
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM
hmm, kellen davis is still around'

he's an interesting TE

nvm, i don't want him

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
TEN could draft Richard Simmons to play QB and they would still be a boring team.

Is it wrong for me to say that I'd pay to watch that?

SkinBasket
McKenzie getting burned on ESPN. Happy feelings.

ND72
ZIB!!!! :shock: I had some hopes for him in Green & Gold.....I'm fine with him being in the AFC though.

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM

I don't understand why I think that's funny, but I'm thinking it's because I'm immature.

Greetings Belgium! Germany calling!! 8-)

Rastak
Ravens take Zbikowski , kind of an odd dude but a high motor player....

trengths: A tough, hard-nosed safety prospect. Fills hard when reads run and also can hold up at times in the box. Generally takes sound angles to the ball and is a relentless run defender. Squares up to the ball carrier, wraps up and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Times blitzes well and flashes an adequate rip move. Looks to strip or punch the ball out of the ball carrier's hands when chasing and is a ball hawk. Plays with a lot of emotion and is a natural leader. Fearless punt return man, flashes big-play ability in that role and can make an immediate impact in other areas on special teams.

Weaknesses: No matter what his combine results indicate, he has stiffness in his hips that limit his range in coverage and, to a lesser degree, in run support. He lacks the range to consistently hold up in deep-middle zone from the high point. Can get caught too close to the line of scrimmage and lacks the change-of-direction skills to recover when he gets caught in a trail position. Footwork is inconsistent and gets spun around at times. Can get too physical in coverage; is vulnerable to pass interference and defensive holding calls. Slow locating the ball over his shoulder at times. He has great experience as a PR but lacks the agility and breakaway speed of an gamebreaker in the NFL  most likely will be no more than a backup in that role.

Overall: Zbikowski wasn't redshirted after arriving at Notre Dame in 2003, but he later was granted a fifth year of eligibility after appearing in no games as a freshman. From 2004-'06, he played in 35 games (all starts), registering 213 tackles (4.5 for losses), six interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and seven pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he started all 12 games at strong safety and had 80 tackles (1.5 for losses), one sack, three forced fumbles, one pass breakup and two interceptions. For his career, he also had 66 punt returns for 757 yards (11.5 average) and three touchdowns. Zbikowski missed one game in 2006 after suffering a left shoulder strain and a neck stinger. He also was a nationally ranked Golden Gloves boxer who went 60-13 as an amateur. Zbikowski can't be considered an elite prospect at the position because he has too many athletic limitations. Zbikowski's production tailed off as a senior, but the same can be said for all of Notre Dame's senior prospects from the rebuilding 2007 team. On the positive side, it's hard not to appreciate his tough-guy mentality and versatility he brings to the table. While we don't think he's an explosive enough athlete to return punts in the NFL, he at least has experience in that role and can fill in if necessary. Zbikowski should be At best, Zbikowski develops into a solid starter in a scheme that protects him from certain deep-zone and man-coverage situations. At worst, he should be a versatile reserve and an excellent special teams contributor at the next level. Zbikowski is worth a third or fourth round pick.

red

harry johnson would have been the more funny name

or harry dingle

CaliforniaCheez

I once had a client Harold Woodcock that the receptionists giggled over.

red
04-27-2008, 10:09 AM
damn zbikowski's gone

Rastak

or harry dingle

I'd go with Harry Bush.

red
nd, is crying somewhere

SkinBasket

or harry dingle

The day we found out Harry Colon had that spinal narrowing thing was one the saddest of my life.

Scott Campbell
Buster Hymen.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Man, Jags paid

#1, 2 #3's and a #4 to get Harvey.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Will the Packers go with Beau Bell OLB out of NV in the 3rd???

red
picks are flying off the board right now

Rastak
Lions take DT Fluellen

Strengths: Anticipates snap well, can locate the ball carrier quickly and flashes the ability to make plays in the backfield. Active feet and makes it difficult for blockers to sustain. Works hard, takes sound angles to the ball and can make plays in pursuit. Wraps up upon contact, generally brings the ball carrier down when gets hands on him and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Has a quick first step and shows adequate not great closing speed when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Flashes an effective rip move and is a relentless pass rusher. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well.

Weaknesses: Undersized and isn't tall enough to add substantial bulk to frame. Tough and physical but gets engulfed by double teams and lacks ideal lower body strength. Doesn't use hands well and is far more effective attacking gap than occupying blockers. Lunges at times, ducks head at times and loses balance far too much. Can be overaggressive and gets caught too far upfield at times. Doesn't show great body control in space and has some problems making plays in the open field. Has yet to develop effective double moves and doesn't always force blockers to move their feet. Drives legs once in position but doesn't have great lower body strength and isn't a great bull rusher. Slowed by ankle and hamstring injuries in 2006, he missed three games with an elbow injury last year and his lack of size raises questions about his ability to stay healthy over the course of a 16-game season.

Overall: Fluellen arrived at Florida State in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games (26 starts) as a defensive tackle and nose tackle, recording 60 tackles (16.5 for losses) and three sacks. As a senior, he played 10 games (five starts) and finished the season with 21 tackles, two sacks and two pass breakups. He missed several games and starts last season because of a series of injuries, including a hyperextended elbow and torn ligaments in his finger. Fluellen is a disruptive and relentless one-gap three technique but he's had some problems staying healthy the past two seasons and he isn't dominant in any one area so he projects as an early second day pick.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm guessing no.

Rastak
Steelers take LB Bruce Davis:

trengths: Quick, anticipates snap counts well and can make plays in the backfield. Reads keys fairly well and flashes the ability to locate the ball carrier quickly. Though hasn't shown great power at the point of attack is tough, hands are active and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Has long arms and big hands. Takes sound angles to the ball, works form snap until whistle and has above-average range. Has the athletic ability to sift through traffic quickly and makes plays in pursuit. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Gets good inside lean cutting down the angle to the quarterback, flashes an effective rip move and is a relentless pass rusher. Times jumps well and gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Does an excellent job of slowing tight ends down at the line of scrimmage, has experience lining up at linebacker and has experience dropping into coverage. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler.

Weaknesses: Plays far too high, lacks ideal lower body strength and struggles to anchor when teams run at him. While he has the quick feet to develop an arsenal of pass rush moves, he doesn't force offensive linemen to redirect enough and frequently goes right into moves before setting the blocker up. Doesn't have the power to consistently collapse the pocket and can be neutralized when doesn't win with first step. Lacks elite top-end speed and will not be as successful turning the corner at the NFL level.

Overall: Davis arrived at UCLA in 2003 and redshirted his first year. Over his first three active seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games and recorded 92 tackles (27 for losses) and 17 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 47 tackles (17.5 for losses), 12.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three pass breakups. Davis played defensive end for the Bruins, save for a brief stay at outside linebacker in 2005, before injuries forced a move back to the line. Davis struggles when teams pound the ball at him and he lacks ideal closing speed but there's a lot to like about his upside. He has the athletic ability to develop into a productive pass rusher in any scheme and the tenacity to develop into an every-down outside linebacker in a 3-4-scheme.

red

i like it

so it won't happen

ND72
04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
picks are flying off the board right now

Yeah, I've enjoyed the pace of this years NFL Draft.

red
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
here comes a trade

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Texans take RB Slaton:

Strengths: A shifty and fast runner with homerun hitting potential. Extremely productive in a spread scheme at the collegiate level. Displays very good initial quickness to and through the hole. He runs with good balance and displays excellent change of direction skills. Is elusive and will make many defenders miss in space. He has shown an outstanding second-gear to run away from defenders  particularly during his first two seasons at WVU. He shows the burst to consistently turn the corner as an outside runner, as well as to bounce inside runs to the outside once he reaches the second level. Displays smooth route running skills and reliable hands. Shows the ability to pluck on the run and has excellent initial burst after the catch.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size and strength. Runs small, as well. Is unable to push the pile as an inside runner and won't break many tackles. Is not a physical runner. Shies away from contact at times and does not appear to be overly tough. Seemed to lose a step in 2007, when he did not display the same second-gear in the open field. While he seems to have the skill set to contribute in the return game, he lacks experience in that department. Will be overmatched at times as a pass blocker in the NFL. Durability is a very big concern. He has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career and his fragile frame does not project well at the next level. There are also questions regarding his ability to play through pain.

Overall: Slaton ran for 1,128 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2005 on his way to the Big East rookie of the year award. (He added 12 receptions for 95 yards and two more TDs.) He raised the bar as a sophomore, setting the West Virginia record for rushing yards in a season (1,744, which ranked fourth in the nation) and earning an All-America selection. Slaton underwent wrist surgery last spring and wasn't as productive as a junior, but he still managed 1,401 total yards and 18 TDs. He walked away with the school's career touchdowns record (50) despite foregoing his senior year. Slaton can be a versatile homerun hitter in the NFL, potentially serving as a scat-back type on offense and also helping out in the return game. However, he lacks the size and toughness of an every-down back. His inability to stay healthy coupled with his sub-par junior season only increase concerns regarding his NFL upside. That's why we view Slaton's value in the middle rounds and certainly no higher than Round 3.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Bears take Manningham here?

J-Rok
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I know there are much better name combinations out there. I just snickered about it.

Cheers to good beer, Tarlam!

For a random stat..

Only two players with a De or Da at the beginning of their first name have been picked thus far.

No players with an apostrophe in their name has been selected.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM

It would be an ok value here.......

red
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
maybe finley for us?

got a lot of upside

CaliforniaCheez
Beau Bell OLB

Schuening OG

Finley TE

Predictions

GrnBay007
Packers on DA clock

Tarlam!
ON THE CLOCK!!!

Rastak
Da Bears take DT Harrison, not a bad value here:

Strengths: Possesses good height and has added considerable bulk to his frame. Displays good initial burst and straight-line speed. Is quick and mobile. At his best when on the move. Shows the burst to get through the line of scrimmage and can be very disruptive versus the run. Displays impressive change-of-directions skills and will make more plays in pursuit than most defensive tackles. Plays with adequate leverage. Displays some initial power at the point of attack and will give a good effort when taking on blocks. Does an excellent job of reading screens. Takes good angles in pursuit and is a very sound open-field tackler for his position. Flashes upside as a pass rusher.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal lower body strength. Is not a good fit for a two-gap system. Struggles to take shed blocks at times and does not show the base to anchor in a phone booth. Despite great quickness and mobility for his position, his sack production has never been good. He needs to be more consistent anticipating the snap. Also must improve his array of pass rush moves. Durability and character issues are major concerns.

Overall: Harrison signed with Arkansas in 2003, but he was ruled academically ineligible and spent a year at Hargrave (Pa.) Military Academy. He joined the Razorbacks in 2004 and appeared in 35 games (24 starts) at bandit end and left defensive tackle over the next three seasons ('04-06), compiling 110 tackles (11 for losses), 2.5 sacks and a touchdown on an 18-yard fumble return. As a senior, he made 10 starts in 12 games and turned in 50 tackles (seven for losses), 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble. In the spring of 2007, he had surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee but was ready in time for the season. In '06, he underwent arthroscopic surgery to remove torn cartilage in his right knee. He also suffered a concussion in '06 and dealt with ankle sprains in 2005 and '06. In August 2007, Harrison was suspended indefinitely after being arrested on felony drug charges and misdemeanor traffic charges. He ultimately missed only one game (the '07 opener) as a result of the incident. Harrison is a talented defensive tackle with impressive quickness, power and body control. He has been a when healthy force  particularly versus the run  but nagging injuries during his sophomore and junior seasons stunted his growth. He also comes with some character baggage that could cause him to slip on draft weekend. As a result, Harrison could be selected as high as the third round or as low as the fifth.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Nicks or Johnston?

SkinBasket
I just put in the call to Ted. He agrees we should take Barrett. I also told him to get some new sunglasses.

Scott Campbell
I'd like a DE please.

Guiness

I have to think (red?) was right - a lot of teams took him right off their board. And Chi already took a WR at 81...

edit: and if TT takes him, there will be at least one coronary, and several broken TV's in here

RashanGary
Brian Johnston, Terrell Thomas, Anthony Collins, Martin Rucker

The Leaper
I'd like Schuening.

Bretsky
JUST CHECKING IN for more fun fun

Jermichael Finley is the guy here

I'd bet my life savings it's not the pick :lol:

GrnBay007
ON THE CLOCK!!!

..........and we have.......A COMMERCIAL!

red
04-27-2008, 10:20 AM
lol, espn is on break

The Leaper
I have to think (red?) was right - a lot of teams took him right off their board. And Chi already took a WR at 81...

They could use more than 1 WR.

MateoInMex
Good Morning,

Hungover on the computer, I love it! I have enjoyed the Packers picks so far, and like what the Fins have done too.

Have you noticed however, the Packers are the only team I believe when they run the ticker tape that says "Key Losses....Key Additions"

....When it comes to the Packers under "Key Additions" it says: NONE

Lurker64
ON THE CLOCK!!!

..........and we have.......A COMMERCIAL!

Watch on NFLN: http://www.nfl.com/draft/live

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Trades take a long time...

GrnBay007
lol making fun of Mel's hair.

Rastak

They could use more than 1 WR.

I agree.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Jermichael Finley, pretty good pick.

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
wow, all those that wanted Finley got their pick!!!

Guiness
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Come on TT, Manningham !!!!!!!

*just kidding!*
*ducking* *running and ducking*

Rastak
Pack takes TE Finley:

Strengths: Has good top-end speed, does a nice job of exploiting seams between safeties and linebackers and can stretch the field. Tracks the ball well, has excellent body control and flashes the ability to make the spectacular catch. Times jumps well, fights for the ball while it's in the air and excels in jump-ball situations. Uses body to shield defenders from the ball and flashes the ability to make touch catches in traffic. Shows good awareness and does a nice job of staying in bounds when running routes along the back of the end zone. Changes directions well and has the burst to develop into a crisp short-to-intermediate route-runner. Has big hands and doesn't drop many passes should catch. Flashes the ability to make the first defender miss, flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact and is capable of producing after the catch. Keeps head up and uses downfield blockers. Takes sound angles to assignments and can get into position at the second level.

Weaknesses: Gets adequate hand placement but fails to deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back at the point of attack. Plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to sustain blocks hasn't shown great lower body strength and struggles to drive defenders off the ball. Undersized and is going to have problems anchoring when asked to help out in pass protection. Rounds too many cuts off and isn't a fundamentally sound route runner at this point. Lacks ideal starting experience and is still somewhat raw.

Overall: Finley redshirted his first year at Texas (2005). In 2006, he appeared in all 13 games (including four starts when the Longhorns opened in a two-tight end set), posting 31 receptions for 372 receiving yards (12.0 average) and three touchdowns. In 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 45 receptions for 575 receiving yards and two touchdowns.Finley is a fairly one-dimensional pass-catching tight end at this point but he has enormous potential. He has the speed and athletic ability to develop into a big-play receiver and the frame to develop into an adequate blocker in space as an H-back type. As a result, Finley projects as a late-second or third round pick.

red
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i got one right

sweet jesus

i'm now 2-36 trying to make tt's picks

ND72
Jermichael Finley....don't mean to say I called it about 20 picks ago :lol: ah hell, I'll say it :D

MateoInMex
Good Morning,

Hungover on the computer, I love it! I have enjoyed the Packers picks so far, and like what the Fins have done too.

Have you noticed however, the Packers are the only team I believe when they run the ticker tape that says "Key Losses....Key Additions"

Jermichael Finley TE/TEXAS

There's a Key Addition

CaliforniaCheez
Wow an expected guy.

One they interviewed.

The breaks a mold.

The Leaper
I like the Finley pick. He's a horrific blocker, but he's a hell of an athlete.

Tarlam!
Congrats to the guys that said Finley!

RashanGary
BRETSKY BRETSKY!!

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
JUST CHECKING IN for more fun fun

Jermichael Finley is the guy here

I'd bet my life savings it's not the pick :lol:

OK just for the record I didn't bet anybody.

Let me say this

GREAT JOB TT ON ROUND 3

Scott Campbell
75% of the picks on Offense so far.

red
i love this pick. very young, he can improve a lot with good coaching

Rastak
Cowboys trade to Detroit!

Deputy Nutz
Wow a pick for need. Who would have thunk it? Now nobody has anything to complain about.

Well he sure isn't a blocker.

MateoInMex
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Outside The Lines and Oprah can cancel flights to GB

GrnBay007

I wish they'd quit doing that

key loss: Brett Favre
key addition: NONE

Packnut
Another great pick!

Another guy with tons of potential!

This guy can go deep down the middle!

THOMPSON ON FIRE!

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM

What is Brandon Chillar? Chopped liver?

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Lions take Avril LB/DE:

Strengths: A tweener DE/OLB that can be very effective when turned loose up the field. Has very long arms (34.5 inches) and big hands (9.6 inches) for his smaller frame. Fires out of stance with very good leverage and shows good body control and lean when turning the corner. Displays very good initial burst and top-end speed for the position. Much stronger upper body than lower body. Uses rip and swim moves effectively. Does a good job of keeping his hands active and will jar some OT's with his initial punch. Displays a good motor. Plays with a mean streak and won't back down from physical challenge versus bigger OT's. He shows good initial pop as a tackler and will occasionally jar the ball loose.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Lacks ideal height and has just adequate bulk for his shorter frame. Plays with a narrow base and will struggle to anchor at the point of attack when teams run at him. Gets in trouble when forced to play head-up or inside shoulder of OT. Needs to be a seven-technique to be effective. Gets too far up the field ate times and will take himself out of plays. Has very limited experience turning and running in coverage as an OLB.

Overall: Avril was an immediate contributor when he arrived at Purdue, playing 22 games (eight starts) in his first two seasons (2004-'05). Over that span he collected 69 tackles (5.5 for losses) and half a sack. He entered the Boilermakers' lineup for good in 2006, starting at linebacker in the first four games of that season before moving to defensive end to start the final 23 games of his career. In those last two seasons (2006-'07), Avril piled up 125 tackles (30 for losses), 12.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions (one that he returned 43 yards for a score) and 11 pass breakups. He missed one game in 2005 because of a lower back injury. Avril is an undersized end that likely will fit best as a 3-4 linebacker in the NFL. His overall production in college was good but it could have been far better had Avril not spent so much time taking on blocks head-up over OT's and TE's. Strong showings at both the Senior Bowl and combine have improved Avril's draft value. In our opinion, though; he's still a bit of an underrated prospect that we consider worth the value late on Day 1 of the 2008 draft for teams in search of a rush-linebacker type.

RashanGary
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
This sort of reaks of Thompson surrounding his pet QB with talent :)

If only he would have made it here 6 or 7 years ago when Favre still had time left. He probably wouild have screwed Favre over anyway :)

"we had a WR that was best available but we really wanted this punter"
"we liked this explosive TE better than the rest, but we wanted a linebacker"

MateoInMex
MEMO TO ESPN: Talk about pick #90 you pricks!!!

gbpackfan
I love this pick! Finley is a beast. He has a great youtube video. Search his name at www.youtube.com

GrnBay007

:lol: :lol:

MateoInMex
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM

LOL. I'm on the Jermichael Bandwagon!

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 10:29 AM

If only he would have made it here 6 or 7 years ago when Favre still had time left. :(

Fritz
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
i can't even watch ESPN. The draft is going on behind them, and they have nothing better to do than talk about Mel Kiper's hair.

I hate those guys.

red

If only he would have made it here 6 or 7 years ago when Favre still had time left. He probably wouild have screwed Favre over anyway :)

"we had a WR that was best available but we really wanted this punter"
"we liked this explosive TE better than the rest, but we wanted a linebacker"

i was thinking that same thing after the jordy pick

favre couldn't get weapons to save his life

rodgers has more then he'll ever need

Rastak
Colts take LB Wheeler:

Strengths: Possesses very good size and is well built for his height. Shows the ability to make plays outside the tackle box. He's athletic for his size. Is able to avoid a lot of block and sift through traffic. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and displays very good closing burst. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and outside.

Weaknesses: Is thickly built but doesn't play as strong as his measurables indicate. Can be overaggressive and overruns holes. Does not like to take on blocks and will get out of position at times running around them. Isn't physical or aggressive enough in coverage. Lacks ideal instincts in coverage, as well. Takes some false steps and over commits. Doesn't explode out of cuts, loses too much speed when forced to turn and run and lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills. Displays marginal ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage.

Overall: Wheeler played in all 12 games as a freshman in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished the season with six tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. In his next two seasons (2005-'06), he appeared in 26 games (all starts) and recorded 153 tackles (26 for losses), 13 sacks, four interceptions and nine pass breakups. As a senior last season, Wheeler started all 13 games and turned in 89 tackles (nine for losses), six sacks, one forced fumble and five pass breakups. During his Yellow Jackets career, he spent time at middle linebacker, outside linebacker and defensive end. Wheeler has prototypical size for an inside linebacker but he plays a finesse game more conducive to the weak-ide position. Finding the right spot for him in the NFL might be tricky. He played multiple positions and had very good production in college. He also displays enough natural tools to contribute in the NFL. But the more we study him on film the more concern we have that something is missing. His recognition skills are spotty, especially in coverage and his natural instincts are questionable. He also seems to lack a certain degree of toughness. As a result, Wheeler has too many question marks in our opinion to warrant consideration any higher than Round 3.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
TT on ESPN now

GrnBay007
When do the Packers pick next?

HEY, ESPN talking to TT now!!!!!!!!!

Rastak
Pats take manningham?

MateoInMex
I love this pick! Finley is a beast. He has a great youtube video. Search his name at www.youtube.com

That link didn't work GBPACKFAN

I found one...if you want to try this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5WHVTR5pqA

Chubbyhubby
04-27-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a great draft for the Packers!

Bretsky

lol

funny stuff; this always happens to me

CaliforniaCheez

Back ups are not key I assume.

red

we have 3 picks in the 4th

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM

we have 3 picks in the 4th

As Charlie Brown would say, "I got a rock".

Gunakor

He very well might beat out Pop for the job. He didn't sign with us to be the backup - he wouldn't have come if he didn't think he could win the job.

Lurker64

Last year we had "Frank Walker" as our key addition. I smell an inconsistency.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Pats take QB O'Connell:

Strengths: Possesses outstanding size, is tall enough to scan the field from within the pocket and is strong enough to make accurate throws with defenders draped over him. Has quick feet and is efficient getting set up. Shows a quick release and the ball appears to explode out of hand. Puts excellent zip on downfield passes, can throw into tight spaces and can make all throws. Has a good sense of timing, shows good touch and flashes the ability to lead receivers when throwing underneath. Possesses good pocket presence, has the quick feet to buy time and does a good job of keeping eyes downfield when gets flushed out of the pocket. Moves well for his size, can get outside the pocket and throws well on the run. Can make the first defender miss, has good top-end speed and is a threat to run when nothing is available downfield. Plays with confidence and is a competitor on the field. Has steadily progressed and should only get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Is still very raw and loses the strike zone too much. Short arms too many throws and appears to try to place the ball instead of throwing it. Makes poor decisions in the face of pressure and needs to do a better job of beating the blitz. Presses instead of letting things come naturally and will throw into traffic at times. He played in a scheme that simplified his reads and could need time to get comfortable in an NFL style offense as a result. Didn't face upper echelon defenses playing in the Mountain West Conference and there are concerns about ability to make a successful transition into the NFL. Missed six games of the 2006 season with a thumb injury, sustained a shoulder injury in 2006 and durability is a concern.

Overall: After redshirting in 2003, O'Connell became a starter midway through his first season with the Aztecs. In four seasons, he completed 664 of 1,151 pass attempts (57.7 percent) for 7,689 yards, 46 touchdowns and 34 interceptions in 39 games. He also ran for 1,312 yards (3.3 average) and 19 touchdowns. He had his finest season as a senior, finishing among the top 25 in the country in total offense per game (290.8 yards). In 12 games, he completed 257 of 439 attempts for 3,063 yards, 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions, adding 408 yards and 11 touchdowns as a ball carrier. O'Connell missed six games in 2006 after suffering a thumb injury to his throwing hand, which required surgery. O'Connell's play has substantially improved over the past two years and there is a high ceiling on his potential. He possesses the size, mobility and arm strength of an NFL starter. However, O'Connell is a developmental prospect that did not play the highest level in college and still has lots to learn in terms of footwork and the mental portion of the game. In order to reach his full potential at the next level, O'Connell will need a patient organization with a bright quarterback coach. O'Connell is worth the risk for such a team in the final few rounds  but no higher than Round 5.