PDA

View Full Version : I, for one, am a VERY happy camper!

gbpackfan
04-26-2008, 08:10 PM
TT stacked our WR cabinet, found our back-up QB (or future starter if A-Rod doesn't work out) and found a real good young CB to compete for the nickel spot. What more could you want?! Day 2 will bring our TE, as there is some nice depth there still, and some line help.

I love what TT did!

For those of you slamming the Jordy Nelson pick, you're wrong. He is a beast and LIVES football. You will LOVE him! Great pick-up. A typical TT find.

I can't wait for Day 2!

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm happy with all 3 picks, especially Jordy Nelson. Sounds like a great player and person.

gbgary
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm happy.

LL2
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I like the picks...hopefully he can get Kevin Smith tomorrow.

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
We didn't have any needs, since we were at least okay for starters at every position on the roster. So the draft is just a series of happy surprises.

red
04-26-2008, 08:36 PM
jordy sounds great, he could be the next jerry rice

but i don't like it, we didn't need it. we already have 2 #1 wr's, a guy that showed he might also have the skills to be a #1. and now we draft this guy,

he's going to be our #4 wr for at least this year. and is he really an upgrade over our previous #4 in koren robinson.

sounds about like the same exact player, without the off field crap, and younger

but do you really need to spend your 1st pick in the draft getting your #4 wr?

the other 2 picks i kind of like

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Personally I liked other WR's better than Nelson but who knows. He gives depth. Reminds me of Ed McCaffrey. Hopefully he's OK.

The QB makes sense I guess; I'd also have been fine if the waited a couple rounds for guys like Booty.

I'm ok with Patrick Lee; really wanted the TE from A&M.

I love Dallas picks, but they are pushing for now.

We're rebuilding for the future here; this draft probably won't help us much and we're not winning it all next year so I guess the right thing to do is just trust in TT

pittstang5
04-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not too upset over the Jordy Nelson pick, but I question when he was taken. I thought he might have been a 3rd rounder.

PackerPro42
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I was a little disappointed with the first pick, but I'm not going to go all out and say Jordy is going to suck like I did with Jennings. (That was kind of a spur of a moment decision.) However, I was very happy when we drafted Brohm and Lee. They'll provide a lot of needed depth and we probably won't have to go after Culpepper anymore. Which is nice.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
we probably won't have to go after Culpepper anymore. Which is nice.

Definitely. The thought of him in Green and Gold was a disturbing one.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm still not totally sold on taking a QB so high, even as he was a good value. I know that's a minority opinion here. From a best player available perspective, I think things went well, and I'm happy that the third pick was to a clear need.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I was hoping for an OL in the 1st, but the other teams kind of fucked that up. That Jordy kid is kinda ugly, but seeing as how Ted gets paid to do this, I gotta believe he knows something I don't. Weird that.

jmbarnes101
04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I absolutely loved this draft as a Packer fan. Not only that but I think I'm starting to understand TT.

Though it's easy to say in hindsight, I actually got two out of three players correct and all three positions prior to the pick.

I predicted a trade down and with that 1st pick I figured we'd take a WR, though I had no idea which one.

I called Brohm with 56 once he started falling. If Rogers isn't it, Brohm should be. It's a nice luxury and great protection.

I called Lee with 60 since he was the BCA and fit the scheme.

StPaulPackFan
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
we probably won't have to go after Culpepper anymore. Which is nice.

Definitely. The thought of him in Green and Gold was a disturbing one.

Especially the thought of him getting his "role" on. That has to be the most irritating celebration ever. Well, that and the Mile-high salute... YUCK!

The_Dude
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Going to be some amazing competition in Training Camp at WR and for the Nickel CB spot.

Let the best man win.

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 10:14 PM
TT stacked our WR cabinet, found our back-up QB (or future starter if A-Rod doesn't work out) and found a real good young CB to compete for the nickel spot. What more could you want?! Day 2 will bring our TE, as there is some nice depth there still, and some line help.

I love what TT did!

For those of you slamming the Jordy Nelson pick, you're wrong. He is a beast and LIVES football. You will LOVE him! Great pick-up. A typical TT find.

I can't wait for Day 2!

I'm with you

oregonpackfan
04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
I am satisfied with the picks. Even though the Packers are strong at the WR position, you never know when injuries may take out your #1 or #2 receivers.

BZnDallas
04-26-2008, 11:19 PM
i learned last year to trust TT, and i must say when i saw Jordy picked with our first pick i was like WTF?... then i remember what i learned and did some research... he sounds to me like hes exactly what TT looks for... it comes down to being a football player... i think all three picks are football players... i think everybody is down on brohm b/c of how his team played last year... he had to come from behind in most of his games if i remember correctly... adds a lot of pressure... i think to get a good read on him we should look at his stats from the year before... he was really good... i think with the offensive weapons we have on this team he could play very well if needed...

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Great thing about the Brohm pick it is pissing off both Bear fans and Viking fans. Go check out some of there forums. Its a blast it will make your day.

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Chicago Sun-times NFC Grades so far
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/918178,CST-SPT-nfcn27.article

PACKERS DAY 1 GRADE: B+
2nd-round combo looks solid

No first-rounder, but you have to love the combination of players the Packers landed in the second round. Wide receiver Jordy Nelson is a super-productive sure-handed big receiver. Quarterback Brian Brohm gives them long-term cover for injury-prone Aaron Rodgers as Rodgers begins the post-Brett Favre era. And Auburn's Patrick Lee is a nice complement to their aging cornerback position. Excellent combination.

packrulz
04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I think TT did great, although he could've had DE Phillip Merling in the 1st and TE Martellus Bennett in the 2nd but he stuck to his board and drafted guys that fit their scheme. He was lucky to get Brohm where he did, Nelson had a great senior year and is a good possesion receiver and can block, which is critical, Lee should've been taken much sooner, I'd rather have him than Flowers or Talib. He needs to draft a couple TE's on day 2.

LL2
04-27-2008, 07:11 AM
I'd rather have him than Flowers or Talib. He needs to draft a couple TE's on day 2.

Over at JSO there is an article that says Jordy burned Talib in a college game. Many receivers were projected to go before Jordy, and most had better speed that Jordy. Really, is there that much difference between 4.4 and 4.5 speed? They say Jordy has great game speed, so to me it's more important what he can do in a game than how fast he can run a straight line. We could probably make a list of the fastest receivers that came out the past few years and most are not in the top 10 receivers in the NFL.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm still not totally sold on taking a QB so high, even as he was a good value. I know that's a minority opinion here. From a best player available perspective, I think things went well, and I'm happy that the third pick was to a clear need.

Actually, I'm in agreement with you. I'm not a big fan of the Brohm pick. I'd rather have Nelson, Lee and the TE Bennett.

Fritz
04-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Good point made by Bedard on the Packers' blog, regarding taking a wide receiver when the team didn't "need" one...

"People seem to forget that between Koren Robinson's suspension and Greg Jennings' balky hamstring to start the year, people were wondering if the Packers would have enough receivers to start the season."

Who knows how it'll all pan out, but at least this year I've heard of some of these guys...

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 07:59 AM
I agree Fritz.

I do not understand the viewpoint of "we already have enough good WRs" because of how often McCarthy likes to utilize 4 and 5 WR sets. Driver is 33 years old...he has 2 years as a starter left at most IMO, and it isn't ridiculous to assume we may see a dropoff from him this year, maybe from injury more than anything else. Jennings clearly is a starting WR in this league, and a very good one at that. Jones showed flashes last year, but he still has a ways to go to be a starting caliber WR IMO. He's got great hands and runs OK routes, but his ability to create after the catch is average and he offers nothing much on special teams. Robinson has lost a step and is a #4 WR at best now. Martin has some size, but lacks consistency. He's a #3/#4 WR tops.

Add to that the fact that we don't have Favre...who's experience and arm strength could still make someone like Jones or Martin look better than they really are...and I thought WR was still an area of need, especially for a guy with some size which Nelson has.

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 08:45 AM
I'd rather have him than Flowers or Talib. He needs to draft a couple TE's on day 2.

Over at JSO there is an article that says Jordy burned Talib in a college game. Many receivers were projected to go before Jordy, and most had better speed that Jordy. Really, is there that much difference between 4.4 and 4.5 speed? They say Jordy has great game speed, so to me it's more important what he can do in a game than how fast he can run a straight line. We could probably make a list of the fastest receivers that came out the past few years and most are not in the top 10 receivers in the NFL.

YOU ASKED FOR IT, HERE IT IS.

JORDY NELSON DESTROYS TALIB!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Chicago Sun-times NFC Grades so far
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan/918178,CST-SPT-nfcn27.article

PACKERS DAY 1 GRADE: B+
2nd-round combo looks solid

No first-rounder, but you have to love the combination of players the Packers landed in the second round. Wide receiver Jordy Nelson is a super-productive sure-handed big receiver. Quarterback Brian Brohm gives them long-term cover for injury-prone Aaron Rodgers as Rodgers begins the post-Brett Favre era. And Auburn's Patrick Lee is a nice complement to their aging cornerback position. Excellent combination.

Wow, what a nice grade! From a chicago source too.

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
This is what Peter Schrager from FOX Sports had to say about our picks.

JORDY NELSON

I love this pick. Nelson, one of my "sleepers" all pre-draft season, is a giant target with hands of glue. The Kansas State kid caught 122 balls last season, saving his best for the Wildcats' biggest games. Another target for Aaron Rodgers to grow with in Green Bay.

BRIAN BROHM

The Packers scoop up Brohm, a guy many predicted to go in the top 20, at 56th overall. Brohm was a Sports Illustrated cover boy in high school and a star since his freshman year in college. A topsy turvy senior season bumps him to the second round — but the guy can play. Aaron Rodgers has some competition up in Green Bay.

PATRICK LEE

Woodson and Harris aren't getting any younger. Patrick Lee was a ball hawk at Auburn, intercepting four passes last season. Pretty good size and plenty of potential--a solid pick at DB.

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not too upset over the Jordy Nelson pick, but I question when he was taken. I thought he might have been a 3rd rounder.

Honestly, I don't think so. I think he would have been gone by pick #56. He is SUPER productive and his attitude is the unbelievable. Go and read the article on JSOnline about him. He says something like I WILL DO WHATEVER THEY WANT ME TO! And I believe him when he says it.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
What did Talib run at the combine?

Nelson is at least .1 faster than Talib in pads. He pulled away from him with ease while grabbing a catch that was a little out in front of him.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:00 AM

He would not have lasted until the 3rd round...and it would've been a huge gamble to think he would've lasted to Green Bay's next pick. I'm sure at least 15 teams had him in their top 50 players.

red
04-27-2008, 09:47 AM

Nelson is at least .1 faster than Talib in pads. He pulled away from him with ease while grabbing a catch that was a little out in front of him.

thats actually one of the reasons talib fell. because gordy nelson beat him so bad on that play

i saw that play many times when people talked about talib. they said either talib is very slow, or he quit on the play, because they kept saying jordy is not a burner

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM

thats actually one of the reasons talib fell. because gordy nelson beat him so bad on that play

i saw that play many times when people talked about talib. they said either talib is very slow, or he quit on the play, because they kept saying jordy is not a burner

I think he definitely quit on the play. It was wierd how Jordy got around him like that. I didn't see any fakes that were bit on.