PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson observations

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM
The thing that stands out to me is that for how tall he is, he really changes direction well and runs well after the catch. The other good thing is that he seems really good at catching the ball in traffic and is said to have some of the best hands in the draft (this is becoming a trend with Jennings, Jones and now Nelson).

He's also said to be incredilby smart and natural. That aspect should fit well with the flexible, adapting offense that McCarthy runs.

I don't see him beating out Driver or Jennings yet. I doubt he'll beat out Jones right away, but he'll definilty be worked into the 4 and 5 WR package and I think he could specialize in the redzone as well as playing ST's. There is also a level of comfort for when Driver hangs them up. We have Jennings, Jones and Nelson that will all be entering their primes.

Brando19
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Your post definitely makes me feel better about our first draft choice. I'm on the Nelson bandwagon after watching some highlights....and the Brohm bandwagon as well. I'm not sold on Lee yet.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Nelson reminds me a lot of Hines Ward and I'm a big Ward fan. He's taller, but they play a very similar game. Smart, tough, catch everything, do everything well.

Brando19
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/04/26/jones-not-thrilled-with-nelson-pick.aspx

Apparantly, James Jones was suprised and not too happy with the Nelson pick.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/04/26/jones-not-thrilled-with-nelson-pick.aspx

That's probably how I would feel if I were him. A lot of players would have faked not being worried.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM

To be honest, until he's been in the league for a few more years his opinion has little meaning.

LL2
04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Why in the world does JJ have to worry or not be thrilled with Jordy being picked? Driver has maybe a couple years left in him and TT is making sure the team always has good receivers. JJ should be no more worried than Rodgers. TT is a smart man in knowing that a team needs depth at key positions and WR, QB and CB are probably among three of the most important positions on a team.

MadScientist
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Jones should be worried. Unlike JH, I think Nelson will beat out Jones, unless Jones improves a lot in the off season.

red
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
i'd be pissed too if i was jones

he busted his ass last year and did what was asked of him as a rookie.

then we draft his replacement

driver should also be very worried, this might be his last season in green bay

its going to be next to impossible to keep all four in seasons to come

look at detroit, they can't keep 2 good ones

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Driver is so good though. It's definitly a little log jam. I would not trade Jennings. You hate to trade Jones before he even scratches the surface. Jordy isn't going anywhere right now.

Jones and Nelson both seem like guys who could play ST's. You could get use out of both that way. You could play a lot of 1 back, 4 WR sets between the 20's but Rodgers will have to play well if they are going to spread them out. An injury here and there will obvioulsy get everyone on the field. It's a good problem for the Packers, but tough for Jones.

The Packers have the type of personal at the WR position to pressure defenses, but Rodgers is going to have to make good decisions and good throws.

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Nelson is only Jones's replacement if Jones gets outplayed. This is professional football, no matter who you are if somebody else is better than you are at what you do, they'll be playing and you won't. He might be upset, but this is something he's going to have to deal with as a pro.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Having a plethora of healthy WRs helps your team win football games.

There is no reason why we can't have all 4 WRs succeed in our offense.

packerbacker1234
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Wait, when did detroit have two good recievers? Roy Williams is solid, but Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly been doing anything spectacular. Blame it on injuries or whatever, but the fact remains that Johnson could end up being a bust.

red
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Wait, when did detroit have two good recievers? Roy Williams is solid, but Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly been doing anything spectacular. Blame it on injuries or whatever, but the fact remains that Johnson could end up being a bust.

yet the lions have been trying to trade williams for months because they say they can't keep both wr's

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Having a plethora of healthy WRs helps your team win football games.

There is no reason why we can't have all 4 WRs succeed in our offense.

I agree, but you have to have a QB that you can rely on to run that spread offense. That concerns me a little. If Rodgers is a weak link it's going ot be hard to get these guys on the field. If Favre was still here, I'd be CERTAIN that we would get use out of these guys. The way it is with Rodgers, I"m not so sure. I'd feel better about a stronger run game than the extra WR with a questionable QB, but if Rodgers is the real deal, this could be a real strength of the team and the Packers could play a unique bradn of offense.

Fred's Slacks
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM

yet the lions have been trying to trade williams for months because they say they can't keep both wr's

That's because williams is a dumb shit. If Williams just played and kept his mouth shut I don't think they'd be looking to trade him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm not thrilled with the pick, but Thompson's staff has shown they can evaluate WRs, so I'll trust them.

Nelson actually seems similar to James Jones to me. Relatively similar size, speed, after the catch skills, hands. You watch both guys and you aren't floored, but you feel like it's a pretty safe bet they'll at least be solid in the NFL.

rbaloha1
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Great pic. Adds depth. Deceptive speed with big play ability.

IMO a better prospect than James Jones due to speed. Once DD retires, GJ becomes #1 with Gordy #2.

A better Bill Schroeder.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not thrilled with the pick, but Thompson's staff has shown they can evaluate WRs, so I'll trust them.

Nelson actually seems similar to James Jones to me. Relatively similar size, speed, after the catch skills, hands. You watch both guys and you aren't floored, but you feel like it's a pretty safe bet they'll at least be solid in the NFL.

I compared him to JOnes a little too, but Nelson seems to get open better than Jones. Jones would go over DB's and is tough as hell after the catch. Nelson is that too, but Nelson caught 122 balls last year and in all of those clips those guys know it's going to him. they're trying to stop him but he finds a way. It reminds me of watching Ward, Driver or Welker. Teams know where it's going, but they still can't stop it. Part of that is the WR. Jones didn't seem to have that quality. Nelsson is also 2 inches taller and faster.

RashanGary
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Listening to the TT coference again.

1st, when he first started talking about Jordy Nelson he had a sincere grin that he was trying to hold back. He excuded confidence. I watch all of his conferences. I think I can pick up on body language.

One thing he did say directly that was "He's one of those guys I've had my eye on for a while and did my best to keep it a secret"

As much as I've listened to Ted Thompson over the last couple years, I feel pretty confident that he sincerely believes in Jordy Nelson. If you trust Ted Thompson, I think Nelson would be a good bet to succeed. He's a Ted Thompson guy. This was his baby, not one of his scouts. It seemed like he deffered to his scouts a little for the Brohm and Lee picks because he didn't have the same knowledge or confidence about them. He didn't have the glow.

He also said he considered Brohm with the 30th pick.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 12:43 AM

He also was pretty much responsible for dropping the home game against Chicago.

He had a good year for a rookie. But his number ain't retired just yet.

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 12:49 AM

He also was pretty much responsible for dropping the home game against Chicago.

He had a good year for a rookie. But his number ain't retired just yet.

Rookie is the key word. Jones has a year under his belt. Only makes sense he'll be better this season... and the competition is good.

Just like everyone used to talk about with Favre.....he would grow to trust certain receivers and connect with them. Rodgers needs to find that now and TT is giving him several options.

Brohm
04-27-2008, 01:01 AM
The one thing Wolf always regretted was not getting Farve enough weapons. I think TT has picked up on that lesson and will keep the WR position stocked for the QB (whomever it is). The shift to the ZBS "should" eventually eliminate RB woes once the line has matured.

Now for that second TE option....

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 01:03 AM
The one thing Wolf always regretted was not getting Favre enough weapons. I think TT has picked up on that lesson and will keep the WR position stocked for the QB (whomever it is). The shift to the ZBS "should" eventually eliminate RB woes once the line has matured.

Now for that second TE option....

Are you related to our new QB? :D

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Rookie is the key word. Jones has a year under his belt. Only makes sense he'll be better this season... and the competition is good.

I like Jones as the #3 receiver, but I think his upside might be limited to that. Maybe this kid is the #2 behind Jennings after Driver retires.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 06:45 AM

He also became virtually invisible after October.

What on earth gives you this idea? Driver probably has 2 years left as a starter...and Driver will be the kind of guy who won't mind being a #3/#4 for an additional year or two after that to wind out his career.

Any harder than carrying two punters? We'll keep at least 5 WRs on the 53 man roster. I don't see how keeping these 4 will be any kind of an issue. Jones and Nelson will be under contract for the next 3 years, Driver has a long term deal in place, and Jennings likely will be extended toward the end of this season.

Comparing anything to Detroit is illogical. Detroit smacks of the dumbass...they can't keep WRs because they draft ones that suck.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
He was thought by some to be the best WR in the draft. I was listening to ESPN radio all weekend and that was what they reported. Al Davis absolutely loved him they said and was going to take him. He is a perfect possesion type WR who will do very well in the WC system and should make a good trio when teamed with JJ and Jennings. He reminds me of a Ed McCaffery type of a player.

KYPack
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
He was thought by some to be the best WR in the draft. I was listening to ESPN radio all weekend and that was what they reported. Al Davis absolutely loved him they said and was going to take him. He is a perfect possesion type WR who will do very well in the WC system and should make a good trio when teamed with JJ and Jennings. He reminds me of a Ed McCaffery type of a player.

Absolutely.

He's got that Ed McCaffery- Joe Jerivicious thing goin' on.

Tall fast white boy that will run slants with an atitiude.

Perfect for this system.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Absolutely.

He's got that Ed McCaffery- Joe Jerivicious thing goin' on.

Tall fast white boy that will run slants with an atitiude.

Perfect for this system.

Ed and Joe were 6'4" - 6'5". This guy is 6' 2 5/8". I don't think he's the same kind of player. I'd say more like an Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe. Big receivers with decent speed, goods hands, good run after the catch ability. (Not to say he'll be as good as those guys.) I also read that he's comparable to Kevin Walter. I don't think that's a bad thing. Walter is a pretty good player. It just took him 3 years to develop.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Ed and Joe were 6'4" - 6'5". This guy is 6' 2 5/8". I don't think he's the same kind of player.

I agree. Nelson isn't going to use his size to his advantage much, as those guys did. I think he also is going to have more speed...he's faster than his 40 times when you put pads on.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Actually he is said to be pretty good at getting the ball in a crowd and has been compared to Jurevicus

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Actually he is said to be pretty good at getting the ball in a crowd and has been compared to Jurevicus

Watch his highlight film. I didn't see many plays where he's winning jump balls. It's mostly typical WCO offense stuff where he's catching the ball and getting YAC.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
This is what the ESPN radio guys noted, I've never seen him play in a game. The highlight films don't do much for me, they just show clips. An article I read noted some simialirity between him and Joe J.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
This is what the ESPN radio guys noted, I've never seen him play in a game. The highlight films don't do much for me, they just show clips. An article I read noted some simialirity between him and Joe J.

That's because there are only about 8 white wideouts they could compare him to.
:D

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 10:14 PM
That is probably 100% right

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM

JJ is 6-5 and about 235...he's practically a TE. I don't see how Nelson compares to that. He'll be much faster than JJ.

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
McCaffrey maybe. I remember McCaffrey doing well after the catch. The way he was used at KState reminds me (recently) of the way guys like Ward, DD and Welker are used. He's bigger than all of them, but he has a similar game with the YAC, solid speed, ability to get open in tight spaces.

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 08:59 AM
McCaffrey maybe. I remember McCaffrey doing well after the catch. The way he was used at KState reminds me (recently) of the way guys like Ward, DD and Welker are used. He's bigger than all of them, but he has a similar game with the YAC, solid speed, ability to get open in tight spaces.

I agree with that. Nelson to me is very similar to a Ward, Driver, Jennings kind of player...except that he is 2-3 inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier, and a shade slower. It makes him perfectly suited to attacking the middle of the field, but it also gives him the opportunity to take advantage of double moves and surprising with fly routes when the defense overextends and tries to take away the underneath stuff.

pbmax
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
ESPN is giving the Packer's pick some love. Thomas Dimitroff from the Falcons (late of the Patriots) gave Nelson as the underrated player people would be hearing about later. Said he was a third to fourth rounder before the season and just kept climbing boards. Gave him good marks for production and character.

Cowherd said that was the second NFL guy who told him that. Also said the last time people agreed on this question it was the Greg Jennings pick. Cowherd is usually a weather vane of conventional wisdom, so in this case, I believe him.

swede
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Great pic. Adds depth. Deceptive speed with big play ability.

IMO a better prospect than James Jones due to speed. Once DD retires, GJ becomes #1 with Gordy #2.

A better Bill Schroeder.

Bill was a one trick pony. He could jump, he was fast, and had good hands in a down-the-field-over-the-shoulder-catch kind of way, but he didn't run routes well, had trouble getting jammed on the line, and tended to drop balls in cross traffic.

I agree with the poster that says Nelson plays a bit like James Jones, but I think Nelson seems tougher and may be a great gunner as well as a punt or kick returner.

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I heard another one today, they said he is a bigger Brandon Stokely.

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I think the comparisons to Ward are crazy. Ward is a much smaller guy who is much more athletic and can basicly play every position a wr can play and play it very well. Some thought Ward was the best all-around wr in the game a few years back. The DD comparison is also off imo. these guys are all smaller guys with quickness, speed and agility. Thse guys aren't thought of as possession wr's.

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't think you've ever watched a clip of Jordy Nelson, bulldog. Check him out returning punts and getting YAC. The guy is quick. Go listen to the scout Lenny McGill. He seems to think one of Nelsons greatest assets is his short area quickness. Maybe you see somehting that they missed. What makes you think he's a plodder lacking quickness? Just remember, tall and white is not slow and plodding, just like AK isn't a hard working, poor athlete.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I think my Dwayne Bowe comparison was good.

Bowe is 6'2" 221, has good hands, is good after the catch, and he ran around 4.5 in the 40. Some reports had him as low as 4.41 and some as high as 4.57, so I'll split the difference and says he's around 4.49. Point is: he's not an absolute blazer.

Nelson is 6'2 5/8" 217, has good hands, is good after the catch, and he ran 4.51 in the 40.

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
How many games have you actually seen him play?? My comments on what others have noted, that have actually seen him play and not just a highlight clip, are not meant at all to be demeaning. He is a very good prospect and I've heard that some think he was the best WR in the draft. My point is that he is a taller, 4.5 guy but still runs a 10.6/100. That tells me he is fast but not ultra quick as the other wr's mentioned are. He is most likely one of the few players that could run close in pads as he does in shorts because of the size and athlete he is. I've read that he is very solid but doesn't wow you in any one area. Harv's comment about Bowe is pretty good imo but I'm going by what some guys on ESPN said this past weekend, not a 3 minute clip.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
How many games have you actually seen him play?? My comments on what others have noted, that have actually seen him play and not just a highlight clip, are not meant at all to be demeaning. He is a very good prospect and I've heard that some think he was the best WR in the draft. My point is that he is a taller, 4.5 guy but still runs a 10.6/100. That tells me he is fast but not ultra quick as the other wr's mentioned are. He is most likely one of the few players that could run close in pads as he does in shorts because of the size and athlete he is. I've read that he is very solid but doesn't wow you in any one area. Harv's comment about Bowe is pretty good imo but I'm going by what some guys on ESPN said this past weekend, not a 3 minute clip.

I agree that I don't see Donald Driver or Hines Ward when I see his highlight film.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I think my Dwayne Bowe comparison was good.

Bowe is 6'2" 221, has good hands, is good after the catch, and he ran around 4.5 in the 40. Some reports had him as low as 4.41 and some as high as 4.57, so I'll split the difference and says he's around 4.49. Point is: he's not an absolute blazer.

Nelson is 6'2 5/8" 217, has good hands, is good after the catch, and he ran 4.51 in the 40.

I'll take a Dwayne Bowe; I liked other WR's better......which based on my past...........is a good sign for the GB Packers

I also liked Toon better than Jerry Rice
I also like Jackson better than Jennings
I also liked Chambers better than.....ok, scratch that one for hurting my credibility

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
You don't think the midwest plains scout for the Packers represents someone who's watched him play?

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I compare him to those three because even when you know the ball is going to him, he still gets open and catches the ball. Nobody could cover him. I compare him to those three because he's good after the catch. More than anything, I compare him to those three because of how tough and relentless he is on the field. He might not be quite as quick as Driver or quite as short as Welker, but he plays the game the same way and does many of the same things. I think Ward is the closest because he's an all around player that does everythign jsut like WArd. The reason I through Driver in is because of how tough he is and Welker because of how uncoverable he his.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't see why we need to compare compare Jordy Nelson to anybody.

He was a farm kid who walked on at K-State (a major conference school) and played WR for the first time in his Sophomore year, he worked his butt off and by his senior year he developed himself into a consensus All-American who caught 122 passes for 1606 yards despite the fact that every team he lined up against had "Stop Jordy Nelson" as their #1 priority. He's a big athletic guy who's got track speed, runs well in pads, handles himself well in traffic and isn't afraid of contact.

I don't care if he's the next Joe Jurevicious, or Wes Welker, or whatever. What he is and what he's done is impressive. What he can be? Who knows, but I'm excited.

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I still think the Ward comparison is best. He does everything :) :) :)

Good point though, Lurker. He's by far my favorite draft pick this year. I'm stuck with the JH name until Harrell proves himself though. If Harrell never becomes a player, I will wear his name in shame for the rest of my forum life. 20 years from now only the old timers will remember who he was. Hell, the way Harrell is taking off, nobody might remember his name in two years.

Packnut
04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I can see where those who hav'nt seen him play would make these kinds of comparisons, but they are way off.

He has that extra gear in pads. I saw him him on at least 4 different plays last season be even with the DB when the ball is thrown and then accelerate past him and make the catch. This guy is better than Bowe. Bowe dropped several passes his last year. Nelson has much better hands.

More than that, this guy is a football player. He understands the game which is more than you can say for a lot of other guys coming out.

Bossman641
04-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't see Welker or Driver at all. Welker is extremely quick, Jordy has nowhere near his quickness. He might have some quickness, but no where close. I've been trying to think of who I would compare him to and haven't been able to come up with anybody. I like the Bowe comparison though.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Scott Campbell
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I can see where those who hav'nt seen him play would make these kinds of comparisons, but they are way off.

He has that extra gear in pads. I saw him him on at least 4 different plays last season be even with the DB when the ball is thrown and then accelerate past him and make the catch. This guy is better than Bowe. Bowe dropped several passes his last year. Nelson has much better hands.

More than that, this guy is a football player. He understands the game which is more than you can say for a lot of other guys coming out.

I believe you. His youtube highlight reel really popped.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM

All this TT praise :shock: :shock: :shock:

What did you do with packnut ?? :!:

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM

This was the Bizarro draft. A lot of the most vehement TT supporters were lukewarm on it and a lot of the most vehement TT haters saw good things in it. It's fun!

Charles Woodson
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Are you not thrilled because of the choice of position? or because of the choice of receiver?

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Funny, a drafted white receiver and the comparison are thrown out to almost every white receiver already in the league regardless of an actual likeness outside of skin color.

If anything he reminds me of Anquan Boldin of Arizona.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 08:28 PM

This was the Bizarro draft. A lot of the most vehement TT supporters were lukewarm on it and a lot of the most vehement TT haters saw good things in it. It's fun!

Overall I'm luke warm

If the dam Chiefs would not have snagged the CB right in front of us in round two I'd be singing a lot of praises

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
KC had a very nice draft. TT hit another homerun imo.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
IMO KC hit a home run and Dallas a triple. Those two piled on some serious talent

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
IMO KC hit a home run and Dallas a triple. Those two piled on some serious talent

I think you might be smarter than this last comment. Nobody has hit the draft jackpot just because there are recognizable names drafted by these teams or because they addressed needs over stockpiling talent.

You should just go ahead and give teams letter grades after the draft.

Sure on paper they have good drafts, but these players haven't even put on pads yet for mini camp.

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I think the Cowboys hit a homerun also although they should have picked Mendenhall imo but Jones likes his hogs. They drafted two very good RB's and picked up two very talented DB's if Jones is reinstated. I like what they did at TE also. IMO, they are head and shoulders ahead of everyone else in the NFC, that just ticks me off!!!

b bulldog
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Nutz you are correct but we can all act as though we know more than we really do.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 08:37 PM

I think you might be smarter than this last comment. Nobody has hit the draft jackpot just because there are recognizable names drafted by these teams or because they addressed needs over stockpiling talent.

You should just go ahead and give teams letter grades after the draft.

Sure on paper they have good drafts, but these players haven't even put on pads yet for mini camp.

I make comments all the time that make me look foolish :lol:
OK, it appears that on paper Dallas and KC did very very well.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Nutz you are correct but we can all act as though we know more than we really do.

I have spent way to many hours, days, and months of my life focusing on the NFL draft. Play in college rarely translate one way or another to the NFL.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Kansas City should have a good draft on paper because they got any extra 1st round pick and an extra 3rd.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Kansas City should have a good draft on paper because they got any extra 1st round pick and an extra 3rd.

Yup, and Dallas had two first round draft picks as well thanks to the Brownies

Bossman641
04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Funny, a drafted white receiver and the comparison are thrown out to almost every white receiver already in the league regardless of an actual likeness outside of skin color.

Haha, I thought the same exact thing. It's just hard to compare a white WR to a black WR.

I thought of Boldin as well, similar height and weight.

Could Nelson be faster than Boldin though? I looked up Boldin's time and he ran a 4.7 at the combine. I know that's slow and that's why Boldin dropped, but was that slow for Boldin? Did he run it again and time any better?

run pMc
04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
If you want to compare him, Bowe might be a good comparison, although I'm guessing Bowe played against slightly better competition in the SEC vs. the Big 12. (No disrespect to the Big 12, really.) From the clips -- which are highlights after all -- it looks like he has good speed in pads. The difference between a 4.51 and a 4.45 is pretty small to me, especially if the 4.51 guy doesn't lose any of that speed when he's in pads.
Also, he played basketball and track. I think what some coach said about Finley applies to this guy: basketball players make good receivers because they have to go after the ball and catch it with their hands, not their body. So that tells me this guy should have very good hands and won't be afraid to go after a contested ball. The track speed helps in obvious ways. He has enough size to handle press or physical coverage. I think it's a good pick, although we won't know until he gets on the field.

Speaking of Finley. Something about this guy makes me nervous. Seems like a high potential boom-or-bust type guy. I hope he pans out. It looks like he could put on 15-20 pounds and be a real terror.

Giving Rodgers some talent to work with will make things easier for him.

run pMc
04-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Boldin ran a horrible 40 at the combine. I think he blew out his knee the year before, and wonder if he wasn't all the way back.
I'm a little skeptical of 40 times. I've heard the type of stride you run for a good 40 time is different from the stride more WR take getting off the line and into full speed.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Boldin ran a horrible 40 at the combine. I think he blew out his knee the year before, and wonder if he wasn't all the way back.
I'm a little skeptical of 40 times. I've heard the type of stride you run for a good 40 time is different from the stride more WR take getting off the line and into full speed.

Most guys are now training specifically for 40s, not for football. so guys are blazing the forty but the question is, does that speed and stride translate to the football field? Guys like Thompson grade the whole football player not just times.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM

Hey, I compared him to Dwayne Bowe and Anquan Boldin first. Don't still my thunder, biatch.

I do think Boldin is a more "sudden" than this guy. I'm a little worried that Nelson is plenty fast, but not super quick. He's not Wes Welker, that's for sure.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Are you not thrilled because of the choice of position? or because of the choice of receiver?

At the time, I had a "who?" moment. I'm okay with the player. I'm okay with the position. I think the guy will be good, but I think his upside might be a little limited.

swede
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM

At the time, I had a "who?" moment. I'm okay with the player. I'm okay with the position. I think the guy will be good, but I think his upside might be a little limited.

All right, I've got nothing to back this up. It's just bar stool talk. But I think this kid might be the kind of player that simply makes plays for his team and doesn't cringe or disappear when the big moment comes his way. I saw him run away from Talib--just turned the corner and ran away from him--on that highlight reel. As Larry McCarren said about Jennings, the kid may not be fast, but he's as fast as he needs to be.

Bring on the four receiver sets followed by the two TE sets with Donald Lee and Finley and Grant in the backfield.

Is it September yet?

Fred's Slacks
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
There's been alot of talk about the 40 time.

One thing you'll notice when watching guys run 40's is that a good start can take 2 tenths off your time. The guys who run 4.3s get a quick explosive start and the guys who run 4.5s may get up to the same top end speed but are slower getting out of their stance.

Anyone who's run a stop watch at a track meet with fully automated timing knows that the difference between the hand held and the fully automatic time is usually around 2 tenths of a second. Its the reaction time from when the gun shoots to when you click the button. That's how quick 2 tenths of a second is. It doesn't take much to gain or lose 2 tenths of a second.

Looking at the film it looks like Jordy has plenty of speed. He probably just had slow starts. On Sunday, it won't matter how fast he gets out of a 3 point track stance. I'm not worried about his speed.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I like the guy, but watch his highlights. He doesn't look really quick--unlike Jennings. More in the mold of James Jones, and that's who I thought of initially. This guy is bigger than Jones and is better after the catch, but I think we need the expectations tempered a little bit.

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Loaded question

Let's say you are TT and decide to draft the WR; which guy would you have taken at 36 ???

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I like the guy, but watch his highlights. He doesn't look really quick--unlike Jennings. More in the mold of James Jones, and that's who I thought of initially. This guy is bigger than Jones and is better after the catch, but I think we need the expectations tempered a little bit.

No way; this guy was our first pick; Steve Largeant here we come. YAHOOOOO

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I woiuld have taken Hardy. I loved his redzone dominance. I liked Jordy's senior production before the draft, but after watching his highlights, he's a lot more athletic than I thought he was.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Loaded question

Let's say you are TT and decide to draft the WR; which guy would you have taken at 36 ???

Nelson. I'm not sure what "Packer Person" means, exactly, but Jordy is definitely it, whatever it is. He's a gamer, he's a hard worker, and he's incredibly self motivated. I'm not very high on the other guys.

Thomas is really raw and his routes are unpolished (he was off the board anyway). Sweed isn't quick or fast. I wouldn't take DeSean Jackson before the 6th round, he's too fragile for the NFL. Hardy isn't as quick or as physical (but has great size); he's more of an athlete than a football player and that scares me. I don't like Manningham or Kelly at all, and nobody else deserves to be graded anywhere around here.

I'm not real high on this year's group of WRs, but I like Jordy more than the rest.

Partial
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
This kid looks like a star in the making from his highlights. I realize they're highlights for a reason, but his hands look great, and he seems quite skilled at getting separation. He looks fast enough to get the same results against NFL corners.

TT must have really, really, really liked him or he wouldn't have taken him with how stacked the position is. Here's hoping he was right.

Partial
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Loaded question

Nelson. I'm not sure what "Packer Person" means, exactly, but Jordy is definitely it, whatever it is. He's a gamer, he's a hard worker, and he's incredibly self motivated. I'm not very high on the other guys.

Thomas is really raw and his routes are unpolished (he was off the board anyway). Sweed isn't quick or fast. I wouldn't take DeSean Jackson before the 6th round, he's too fragile for the NFL. Hardy isn't as quick or as physical (but has great size); he's more of an athlete than a football player and that scares me. I don't like Manningham or Kelly at all, and nobody else deserves to be graded anywhere around here.

I'm not real high on this year's group of WRs, but I like Jordy more than the rest.

Since he was drafted?!?

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Loaded question

I didn't even study the wideouts, so I won't give an opinion. (Trying to avoid the embrassment of making a Chad Jackson or Robert Meachem endorsement). You and I always love the "little girl with the curl". The big WR with blazing speed. Thompson drafts football players. He's done well doing this at WR. I trust him.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Since he was drafted?!?

Before he was drafted I knew I didn't like Thomas, Hardy, or Sweed very much and that I didn't like Jackson, Kelly, or Manningham at all. I didn't (and still don't) think Avery was worth a second round pick, I didn't look much at Nelson but if we eliminate all the rest of those guys, I'm left with Nelson.

But, I didn't really scout WRs much more than to determine "I really don't care for the ones who were top rated by most of the media outlets."

hurleyfan
04-29-2008, 06:56 AM

How about Ruvell martin??? He's still around right?

Packnut
04-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Just keepin it real my friend! Praise him when he does good and rip him when he screws up.............. 8-)

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Before he was drafted I knew I didn't like (...) Manningham at all.

I wanna go on record predicting this Mannigham dude will rock the NFL. This was a steal for the Giants and he will be the best receiver of this class, just based on what I've read of course,

Packnut
04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
IMO, the 2 biggest mistakes people make when analyzing a college player are his season stats and his 40 time.

The NFL is full of guys who had bad 40 times and have proven that measuring stick to be pure and total BS. Discussing Nelson's 40 time is a waste of space.

Stats. To many big college programs schedule games against weak teams which go a long way in padding the stats.

My biggest measuring stick for a college player is in using an old baseball analogy- "don't tell me how much you hit, tell me when you hit em". When you apply that to Nelson, you'll see why this guy does'nt need comparisons and why he will be a very good player.

Let's start with KS's first game on the road at then #18 ranked Auburn. I think we can all agree that Auburn is a tough place to start out on the road.
Nelson threw a 21 yd td pass.
He also caught 9 passes for 90 yds

Then against #7 ranked Texas he not only catches 12 for 116 and a td, but also returns a punt 89 yds for the quick 6. That my friends is coming up HUGE when it COUNTS.

Now comes the rilvary game against Kansas. We've all seen the Nelson's "play of the season". Oh by the way- 10 passes caught for 137 yds and a td.

Oklahoma St- 12 for 176 and 3 td's................

Nebraska-9 for a buck twenty five and a td.

Mizzou-8 for 94 and a td

He also does'nt let up against inferior competition. Against Fresno St 15 for 165 and a td.

My point here is the guy shows up when it counts. Going back to the Bowe comparison- if you all remember, I was all over taking Bowe before last season's draft. I can remember a few of you who said Bowe was'nt worthy of being the 16th pick and he would'nt be that good of a pro WR. Well, he was and is and I'll tell you right now, Nelson is better coming out than Bowe was. Bowe had a problem with his hands and being in-consistent. Nelson catches everything he gets his hands on.

The comparison about the SEC being tougher than the Big 12 does'nt quite ring true when it comes to WR's. I mean when you compare conferences, Western Michigan ain't exactly LSU North and jennings is doing ok. :lol:

Look, I am the biggest critic of the "draft the best player available garbage". That may work when the team sucks but not when you have specific needs hence my huge dis-agreement with the Harrell pick. Well, you can only play 2 DT's at a time where as the main staple of our passing offense is the 4 and 5 wide sets. Nelson was a need pick imo.

Driver ain't getting any younger. The jury is still out on Jones. The Teddy gamble on K-Rob was a bust and I believe he realizes that hunch did'nt pay off. Martin dropped a huge pass in the Giants game which really took the shine away from his season.

I would view a 4 wide set of Driver, Jennings, Nelson and Jones as un-stop-able. Think about what #04 could have done with that. I'll say this, IF Rodgers fails, it won't be for lack of talent at the wideout position........

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Not sure if this video was posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPaU-yrSVWY&NR=1

Gotta see it, the kid is adorable.

run pMc
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
The comparison about the SEC being tougher than the Big 12 does'nt quite ring true when it comes to WR's. I mean when you compare conferences, Western Michigan ain't exactly LSU North and jennings is doing ok.

Not sure I follow you here; AFAIK W Mich is in the MAC, and IIRC Jennings set records at the school. He was very productive and consistent over his college career. I think he had a couple of 1000 yd seasons or something like that.
As for SEC vs. Big 12, I think that plenty of good WR's (and players in general) come out of the Big 12, but IMHO the SEC is a tougher conference from top to bottom. Think of all the CB's that are drafted out of the SEC...Bowe had to line up against them. I concede that these days the best teams in the mid-major conferences can give teams in the BCS conferences a real fight, but there's a reason small-school prospects rarely get drafted high. Whether that's right or not is probably a good topic to start on a separate thread.

Regardless of the competition, I think TT is looking at production, and as we've seen posted, Nelson had a very productive college career.

Re: the available WR's at #36, I would have thought hard about Sweed. I'm split on Manningham, he can get separation and has some skills, but he disappeared a few times and the whole thing about lying to personnel (to their faces!) about smoking pot is a bad sign. Kelly acted like a douchebag at his pro day, Avery is good but seemed like a reach. Hmmm...honestly, I would have looked at a different roster spot than WR.

Packnut
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
The comparison about the SEC being tougher than the Big 12 does'nt quite ring true when it comes to WR's. I mean when you compare conferences, Western Michigan ain't exactly LSU North and jennings is doing ok.

Not sure I follow you here; AFAIK W Mich is in the MAC, and IIRC Jennings set records at the school. He was very productive and consistent over his college career. I think he had a couple of 1000 yd seasons or something like that.
As for SEC vs. Big 12, I think that plenty of good WR's (and players in general) come out of the Big 12, but IMHO the SEC is a tougher conference from top to bottom. Think of all the CB's that are drafted out of the SEC...Bowe had to line up against them. I concede that these days the best teams in the mid-major conferences can give teams in the BCS conferences a real fight, but there's a reason small-school prospects rarely get drafted high. Whether that's right or not is probably a good topic to start on a separate thread.

Regardless of the competition, I think TT is looking at production, and as we've seen posted, Nelson had a very productive college career.

Re: the available WR's at #36, I would have thought hard about Sweed. I'm split on Manningham, he can get separation and has some skills, but he disappeared a few times and the whole thing about lying to personnel (to their faces!) about smoking pot is a bad sign. Kelly acted like a douchebag at his pro day, Avery is good but seemed like a reach. Hmmm...honestly, I would have looked at a different roster spot than WR.

What I'm saying is the conference arguement has no weight when it comes to the WR position due to the myriad of factors in determining how good a WR really is.

First off, some QB's make WR's better than they really are. We've seen proof of this with certain WR's from USC for example. The KS QB ain't exactly a household name.

Second the "guy on the other side" also plays a role. Tougher to double if the D has to defend both wideouts equally. Nelson was the main passing focus on almost every team he faced.

Third, the NFL has a history of WR's from small programs who faced inferior talent and still excelled in the NFL, (Rice for example), so therefore what conference a WR played in is'nt one of the over-riding factors to determine his success.

To say Nelson's accomplishments don't count as much because he played in the Big 12 as compared to the SEC is just ridiculous. I use Jennings as an example because he played in the MAC yet is having tremendous success as a pro. There is a valid comparison because when Jennings played against tougher non-conference opponents from big programs, he still excelled.

I just don't comprehend the conference debate. The SEC is filled with teams of inferior talent. Good Lord, Miss and Vandy don't exactly scare anyone for example. Texas and Nebraska ain't exactly cup-cake programs.

Joemailman
04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
IMO, the 2 biggest mistakes people make when analyzing a college player are his season stats and his 40 time.

The NFL is full of guys who had bad 40 times and have proven that measuring stick to be pure and total BS. Discussing Nelson's 40 time is a waste of space.

Indeed. If I had been worried about his speed before, I would have stopped worrying after seeing the film clip of him blowing past Aqib Talib. Some guys are as fast in full football gear as they are in shorts and a t-shirt. He looks like one of those guys. The most important speed question with a WR is how fast can they avoid a jam at the line of scrimmage and get 15 yards downfield. Playing against Al Harris and Charles Woddson every day should be a good barometer.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Indeed. If I had been worried about his speed before, I would have stopped worrying after seeing the film clip of him blowing past Aqib Talib. Some guys are as fast in full football gear as they are in shorts and a t-shirt. He looks like one of those guys. The most important speed question with a WR is how fast can they avoid a jam at the line of scrimmage and get 15 yards downfield. Playing against Al Harris and Charles Woddson every day should be a good barometer.

This post should be saved and chipped into granite.

40 times are so overrated.

If you timed the starting corners and WR's in the NFL right now, you'd be shocked at how fast some of 'em run a 40. Actually, it's how slow they are that would shock you. It's experience that teaches you when to apply your burst and break open on a route precisely and on rhythmn. Corners need to read WR's and know when to bump a guy with your hip and disrupt his route. Also, when to make your break on the ball.

Smokin' 40's are but a small indicator of a guys talent. Speed helps, but man, it's just another club in your bag, not the whole game.

Still teams make crucial draft errors based on fast 40's.

Think the Vikings would like a do-over on their #1 pick, Troy Williamson?

A fast 40 was ALL that kid had.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Ok here goes...

You can in no way compare Bowe's collegiate career to Nelson's for just some of the following reasons.

1. Bowe had Flynn and Russell throwing to him throughout his career, can anyone tell me who was throwing to Jordy Nelson?

2. Who lined up opposite of Nelson? Bowe never got close to catching 122, and he never had a team focusing to take him out like teams did with Nelson last year. Don't forget the Early Doucet's and Craig Davis's taking attention off of Bowe; Nelson wasn't so lucky.

Honestly, I guess Nelson has really grown on me after looking him up online and the little I saw him last year(Against Aub., Tex.)

Ted hasn't missed on a reciever yet, and I think this is his best of the bunch. We'll be talking about Nelson right up there with Jennings in a year or two.

Patler
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Ted hasn't missed on a reciever yet, and I think this is his best of the bunch. We'll be talking about Nelson right up there with Jennings in a year or two.

Yup, that Cory Rodgers has made TT look like a genius!!
(Just kidding! :lol: :lol: )

Seriously, I knew little to nothing about Nelson, but watching his highlights several things standout:

Regardless of what his stopwatch times are, he plays the game faster than most of the others on the field with him. He continually ran away from DBs.

He sure sets up and follows blockers well in the open field, both as a receiver and as a return man.

Catching is effortless for him. He catches passes that are high, low, in front and behind.

He does something that I also see in Jennings, and have mentioned it about Jennings in the past. He is making his first move, running or cutting as he catches the ball. Receivers that do that can elude a DB who seems to have good coverage, and pick up YAC when most receivers would be tackled as they caught the ball.

For a big guy, he looks pretty fluid.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Ok, I should have said early round picks(1-3). He has taken flyers on guys in the later rounds, just like he did with Swain(sp?) this year.

Packnut
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM

This post should be saved and chipped into granite.

40 times are so overrated.

If you timed the starting corners and WR's in the NFL right now, you'd be shocked at how fast some of 'em run a 40. Actually, it's how slow they are that would shock you. It's experience that teaches you when to apply your burst and break open on a route precisely and on rhythmn. Corners need to read WR's and know when to bump a guy with your hip and disrupt his route. Also, when to make your break on the ball.

Smokin' 40's are but a small indicator of a guys talent. Speed helps, but man, it's just another club in your bag, not the whole game.

Still teams make crucial draft errors based on fast 40's.

Think the Vikings would like a do-over on their #1 pick, Troy Williamson?

A fast 40 was ALL that kid had.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why scouts and GM's get so caught up in the 40 thing. It just boggles the mind...........

Your Williamson comment had me chuckling. Pefect example of "speed gone wrong"! :lol:

The Leaper
04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I had Thomas, Kelly and Hardy ahead of Nelson...so I would've probably taken Kelly at #36.

I didn't really look at WRs too closely though. Nelson wasn't even on my radar for most of this season. Now that I look at it, I should've put Nelson ahead of Hardy on my draft board. Hardy's size and red zone potential were intriguing to me, but Nelson is the total package.

Patler
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Ok, I should have said early round picks(1-3). He has taken flyers on guys in the later rounds, just like he did with Swain(sp?) this year.

I don't think Cory Rodgers was picked at all for his ability as a WR, he was a hope as a return man completely. I think they knew his skills as a receiver were very, very raw. Rodgers just turned out to be a bad pick. It happens.

So many fans have complained in past years about TT ignoring the offense. Obviously they can't this year. But he has now invested three second round picks and one third in wide receivers. So far, so good.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM

I don't think Cory Rodgers was picked at all for his ability as a WR, he was a hope as a return man completely. I think they knew his skills as a receiver were very, very raw. Rodgers just turned out to be a bad pick. It happens.

So many fans have complained in past years about TT ignoring the offense. Obviously they can't this year. But he has now invested three second round picks and one third in wide receivers. So far, so good.

Cory Rodgers was selected for his return skills only. He was an awful pass reciever. When they cut him, somebody posted video of him dropping 3-4 punts in college.

They hoped they could reform the guy, but the pro's magnified his weaknesses. He was a 4, you are gambling down there. I liked the fact that TT cut the guy. I thought TT erred the year before by not giving up quicker on Whitticker.

When the guy makes a bad pick, he gets it fixed.

Lurker64
04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
The stories of Craig Bragg and David Clowney aren't much more encouraging than that of Corey Rodgers, but so far Thompson is batting pretty well on the first day WRs. I'd rather he hit on the higher picked WRs and miss on the lower picked ones than vice versa.

Patler
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
The stories of Craig Bragg and David Clowney aren't much more encouraging than that of Corey Rodgers, but so far Thompson is batting pretty well on the first day WRs. I'd rather he hit on the higher picked WRs and miss on the lower picked ones than vice versa.

I wouldn't throw Clowney in there with Bragg and Rodgers just yet. He was on the Packers' practice squad, where they expected he would spend his first year even when they drafted him, and the Jets signed him. He's still with the Jets.

Lurker64
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't throw Clowney in there with Bragg and Rodgers just yet. He was on the Packers' practice squad, where they expected he would spend his first year even when they drafted him, and the Jets signed him. He's still with the Jets.

Maybe I'm just a little bitter in that I expected a little more of him when we drafted him, but he was embarrassingly raw. His route running was abysmal and I was personally hoping for more. I guess I shouldn't expect anything from Thompson's late round WR pickups, but maybe Brett Swain will knock my socks off.

MadScientist
04-29-2008, 02:45 PM
For the life of me, I'll never understand why scouts and GM's get so caught up in the 40 thing. It just boggles the mind...........

Your Williamson comment had me chuckling. Pefect example of "speed gone wrong"! :lol:
The combine numbers are an attempt to normalize the field. It takes the opponents and the teammates out of the equation and treats everyone the same. The 40 is used more than the 20 or 10 because it is long enough to start showing some difference, even if the 10 and 20 are more realistic for football distances. All other things being equal, the better combine numbers should indicate a potentially better problem. The problem is that all other things are never close to being equal.

Patler
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Maybe I'm just a little bitter in that I expected a little more of him when we drafted him, but he was embarrassingly raw. His route running was abysmal and I was personally hoping for more. I guess I shouldn't expect anything from Thompson's late round WR pickups, but maybe Brett Swain will knock my socks off.

I never expect much from any 6th or 7th round pick (or even 5th, for that matter). I usually just hope they are good enough to stick around on the roster or the practice squad and contribute a year or two later. Driver took 3 or 4 years to get it going.

A guy like Tauscher is very rare in the 7th round. Wells was no where near as good as a rookie or even in his second season as Tauscher in his first two. Yet I look at Wells as a very good pick for the 7th round

Bretsky
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM

I never expect much from any 6th or 7th round pick (or even 5th, for that matter). I usually just hope they are good enough to stick around on the roster or the practice squad and contribute a year or two later. Driver took 3 or 4 years to get it going.

A guy like Tauscher is very rare in the 7th round. Wells was no where near as good as a rookie or even in his second season as Tauscher in his first two. Yet I look at Wells as a very good pick for the 7th round

Looking at our roster we have some awfully good late round picks that developed into Pro Bowl Players

Driver
Tauscher
Kampman
Grant (potentially if you count him as our 6th rounder)
KGB

Jolly is at least solid
Wells is decent

KYPack
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM

I saw him on the sidelines for a Jet's game last season. That kid needs to fill out. He honestly looks like a high school kid.

I know he can fly, but he's raw and tiny.

Patler
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Looking at our roster we have some awfully good late round picks that developed into Pro Bowl Players

Driver
Tauscher
Kampman
Grant (potentially if you count him as our 6th rounder)
KGB

Jolly is at least solid
Wells is decent

The Packers apparently do a pretty thorough job in scouting, because for years they have come up with some decent second day picks. Driver and Tauscher stand out particularly, then Wells for as low as he was drafted. KGB and Kampman in the 5th came with a little more expectation, but Kampman has certainly exceeded by a long ways what could have reasonably been expected when he was drafted. KGB is sort of what you hope to find in the middle of the second day, a one-trick pony that adds a dimension to your team.

I wonder a little about Jolly. Seemed like there was something there last year, but I guess we will have to wait and see. I wonder how ready he will be for this season.

Patler
04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
(Re: Clowney)
I know he can fly, but he's raw and tiny.

That's just it, he is smaller than a small receiver. "Tiny" is a good description. He showed some ability as a return man in preseason. Ultimately, that might be his best "career path".

run pMc
04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
What I'm saying is the conference arguement has no weight when it comes to the WR position due to the myriad of factors in determining how good a WR really is.

Thanks for explaining. I agree there are many factors that play into a WR's success on the pro level. I also think the quality of the competition faced on the college level has a big impact on preparing that player for the pros. I'm sure Nelson saw his share of extra attention by opposing secondaries, and that should help him.
I guess we'll have to agree to a certain extent.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice catch by Jordy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqfbAksg_k&feature=related

I missed this earlier. This is nice. I like the kid. Have the same feeling watching this as I did when I watched Jennings highlights. Nice. I didn't get the same feeling watching James Jones' highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUu-nLx0lw&feature=related

Partial
04-30-2008, 02:10 AM

That makes very little sense. I'm happy if he hits on anyone. Period. But i'd rather it be a lower round player as they're cheaper.

Lurker64
04-30-2008, 02:45 AM
That makes very little sense. I'm happy if he hits on anyone. Period. But i'd rather it be a lower round player as they're cheaper.

The higher round players usually have a higher ceiling and develop faster. If we hit on Cory Rogers he would have made the roster, played special teams, and could in a couple years from now be a decent starter in this league. Hitting on Greg Jennings, on the other hands means that he will likely be one of the most exciting young receivers in the game this year, and it would surprise nobody if he made the pro-bowl.

When a guy you draft in the 5th-7th round makes the pro-bowl in his third or fourth year, that's not just a hit that's a crushing blow and it's just not something that happens very often.

Fritz
04-30-2008, 06:11 AM

TT seems to do a little better than Matt Millen.

Partial
04-30-2008, 07:11 AM

The higher round players usually have a higher ceiling and develop faster. If we hit on Cory Rogers he would have made the roster, played special teams, and could in a couple years from now be a decent starter in this league. Hitting on Greg Jennings, on the other hands means that he will likely be one of the most exciting young receivers in the game this year, and it would surprise nobody if he made the pro-bowl.

When a guy you draft in the 5th-7th round makes the pro-bowl in his third or fourth year, that's not just a hit that's a crushing blow and it's just not something that happens very often.

That still makes very little sense. What difference does what round a player is drafted make? None.

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I missed this earlier. This is nice. I like the kid. Have the same feeling watching this as I did when I watched Jennings highlights. Nice. I didn't get the same feeling watching James Jones' highlights.

I completely agree. Last year, I was very hard on Jones. I didn't think he was a good choice. He turned out to have an OK season last year, but had some inconsistency and hit the wall after 2 months. Jones just isn't an explosive player and doesn't create a lot of separation. He's a reliable route runner with very good hands. With Favre, that might be enough to be a capable starter down the road...but with lesser talented QBs, I'm not sure Jones is starting caliber.

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
TT seems to do a little better than Matt Millen.

Someone in a coma does better than Millen.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 08:33 AM

I completely agree. Last year, I was very hard on Jones. I didn't think he was a good choice. He turned out to have an OK season last year, but had some inconsistency and hit the wall after 2 months. Jones just isn't an explosive player and doesn't create a lot of separation. He's a reliable route runner with very good hands. With Favre, that might be enough to be a capable starter down the road...but with lesser talented QBs, I'm not sure Jones is starting caliber.

We all had questions about Jennings heading into his second season too. Jones had a good first year, and you can ask Champ Baily about his ability to create separation. He just needs to take that big second year step like most guys need to.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 08:34 AM

We all had questions about Jennings heading into his second season too. Jones had a good first year, and you can ask Champ Bailey about his ability to create separation. He just needs to take that big second year step like most guys need to.

Patler
04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure that Jones "hit the wall" as much as some might think. Early in the season Jennings was out for a couple games and Robinson was still suspended. Jones started. Jennings came back and Jones went to #3. Then Robinson came back and saw his playing time increase as he got into playing shape. About that same time, the running game picked up and the Packers passed less and ran more.

Jones' opportunities decreased significantly, I think.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Jones' opportunities decreased significantly, I think.

I think they decreased in part due to the fumbles in the Bear game.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
We all had questions about Jennings heading into his second season too. Jones had a good first year, and you can ask Champ Bailey about his ability to create separation. He just needs to take that big second year step like most guys need to.

Personally, I didn't have any questions about Jennings. Seems to me that those that did have questions about him had questions about his durability. The ones that have questions about Jones have questions about his upside. I think it's limited.

Partial
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM

Personally, I didn't have any questions about Jennings. Seems to me that those that did have questions about him had questions about his durability. The ones that have questions about Jones have questions about his upside. I think it's limited.

Agreed. For the most part people were sold on Jennings other than his ability to stay healthy.

Like you, this guy reminds me a lot of Jennings with his ability to make people miss. He looks deceptively fast and very quick.

sharpe1027
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
While there were some questions about Jennings, I have to agree that Jennings had fewer questions after his first year than Jones does now. However, Jones biggest problem was hanging onto the ball, he was getting open and making plays after the catch.

What I like about both Jones and Jennings is that they showed good ability to run after the catch. I have a feeling that is a quality that they also liked about Nelson.

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Jones is a very capable, physical WR IMO. However, Jennings knows defenses. He knows right away if he can exploit something. Favre often seemed frustrated that Jones wasn't on the same page.

I do think Jones had a really good rookie year. He's here now workign with Rodgers, getting on the same page in the offense. I think he'll be a lot better for it.

As far as Nelson, he and Jennings are different in that Nelson is harder to cover in tight quarters and seems to have better hands (although Jennings are also really good). Jennings is more of a vertical threat (although Nelson can do that too). They're both very good WCO players. I think Jennings is a perfect 'between the 20's' type WR because he really opens up the offense and I think Nelson will bring something extra in the redzone by understanding defenses, being on the same page with Rodgers and by being so dominate in tight quarters. I think all 4 of our WR's can do everything, but also have dominate areas of their game that McCArthy can utilize. Rodgers really has no excuse. If he stinks, I'll be ready for the rookie as soon as the playoffs are out of reach.

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I think a good pass for Jones is the sideline pattern where the QB throws it behind the WR and then the WR has to go up for it, but the DB doesn't know where the ball is so he's often running past and then trying to get back in position. Looking back at the James Jones highlights, he really excelled at competing for the ball. I think it would be great to take advantage of that.

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
I do think Jones had a really good rookie year. He's here now workign with Rodgers, getting on the same page in the offense. I think he'll be a lot better for it.

That's a good point. Nelson strikes me as a guy who also will have that natural football IQ from early on, since he is a former QB and has played multiple positions during his career.

Jones did seem to struggle at times in figuring out the system...but most young WRs struggle greatly in the WCO. Jennings is more of the exception in that instance.

Tarlam!
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
(...)since he is a former QB and has played multiple positions during his career.

The more I sleep on it, the more I'm convinced we have drafted a TE project in Nelson.

Noodle
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Actually, I had a big question about Jennings that had nothing to do with durability, and it's the same big question I have about Nelson: can the guy get sufficient separation. That's why conference matters. It's one thing to get separation from some mid-major sloth and build up big numbers, it's another to get it against liquid-hipped speedsters in the speed conferences like the SEC.

Jennings is no burner, he's not a vertical threat, but it turned out he could get separation through outstanding precision in his route running and his ability to maintain speed through the cut, as well as fearlessness. Question answered, dude is a stud.

Nelson will need to show the same skills, precision, speed in the cut, and fearlessness. Can he do it? We'll see. He's played against some good corners in the Big 12 -- those Texas and Sooner defenses are tough -- so I'm betting he'll be able to do it at the NFL level.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually, I had a big question about Jennings that had nothing to do with durability, and it's the same big question I have about Nelson: can the guy get sufficient separation. That's why conference matters. It's one thing to get separation from some mid-major sloth and build up big numbers, it's another to get it against liquid-hipped speedsters in the speed conferences like the SEC.

Jennings is no burner, he's not a vertical threat, but it turned out he could get separation through outstanding precision in his route running and his ability to maintain speed through the cut, as well as fearlessness. Question answered, dude is a stud.

Nelson will need to show the same skills, precision, speed in the cut, and fearlessness. Can he do it? We'll see. He's played against some good corners in the Big 12 -- those Texas and Sooner defenses are tough -- so I'm betting he'll be able to do it at the NFL level.

We weren't talking about whether there were questions about Greg Jennings before his rookie year. We were talking about whether there were questions about Jennings' ability after his first year--as some (me included) do about James Jones at this point.

After his rookie year, I think most people were pretty confident in Jennings' ability, but not his durability.

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM

I'm SO tired of people who seem to think the SEC is the be-all-end-all of college football. Sure, it is a great football conference...the deepest and usually the toughest. However, there are PLENTY of other conferences with lots of NFL caliber talent.

#1 CB taken: McKelvin - Sun Belt
#2 CB taken: DRC - Div I-AA
#3 CB taken: Talib - Big 12 (a guy who Nelson faced and torched, so I have no idea why you have questions regarding Nelson)
#4 CB taken: Jenkins - Big East
#5 CB taken: Cason - Pac 10
#6 CB taken: Flowers - ACC
#7 CB taken: Porter - Big 10
#8 CB taken: Lee - SEC (and not noted as a speed guy)

If the SEC is so damn superior, where are all the "liquid hipped speedster" guys that Nelson would have to face to convince you he is NFL caliber? The fact of the matter is that Nelson faced plenty of high end talent at Kansas State, and there should be no questions regarding the level of competition he faced. If you want to question a Jennings or Jones, who actually did come from lower levels of competition, so be it. But don't give me this "SEC or shit" garbage.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM

As I remember it, Jennings faded badly down the stretch too during his Rookie year - after he came back from injury. So there were questions. It now looks like it was due to him being dinged up.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
While there were some questions about Jennings, I have to agree that Jennings had fewer questions after his first year than Jones does now. However, Jones biggest problem was hanging onto the ball, he was getting open and making plays after the catch.

What I like about both Jones and Jennings is that they showed good ability to run after the catch. I have a feeling that is a quality that they also liked about Nelson.

Jennings still has one major question mark - durability.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
(...)since he is a former QB and has played multiple positions during his career.

The more I sleep on it, the more I'm convinced we have drafted a TE project in Nelson.

I might have bought that theory - until they drafted Finley.

Lurker64
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
You also have to consider that Nelson was pretty much the only offensive weapon for K-State and that every team that lined up against him pretty much had "Stop Jordy Nelson" as their number one priority, and he was frequently double, triple, and on occasion quadruple covered.

Last year he had 9 catches for 90 yards against Auburn (*gasp* one of the better SEC teams), and 12 catches for 116 yards against Texas (who is no slouch themselves.) He also managed 10 catches for 137 yards against Kansas (including that torching of Talib) and 8 catches for 94 yards against Missouri.

So Nelson had 90-140 yard receiving games against the teams who ended up ranked 15, 10, 7, and 4 in the final college football poll. That seems to me that he put up some impressive numbers against top shelf competition.

I'm not saying that he's ready to show up on day 1 and toast Dre Bly (though James Jones managed it in his rookie season), but there's a lot fewer question marks about Nelson's ability against NFL caliber corners than Jones or Jennings had when they were drafted, and those guys turned out to be able to play against NFL corners so I would have some confidence in our scouting dept. as concerns the WR position.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Youz guys are tearing Noodle and his SEC buttlove a new one!

Got me wanting to buy a Nelson jersey already.

Packnut
04-30-2008, 12:36 PM

I'm SO tired of people who seem to think the SEC is the be-all-end-all of college football. Sure, it is a great football conference...the deepest and usually the toughest. However, there are PLENTY of other conferences with lots of NFL caliber talent.

#1 CB taken: McKelvin - Sun Belt
#2 CB taken: DRC - Div I-AA
#3 CB taken: Talib - Big 12 (a guy who Nelson faced and torched, so I have no idea why you have questions regarding Nelson)
#4 CB taken: Jenkins - Big East
#5 CB taken: Cason - Pac 10
#6 CB taken: Flowers - ACC
#7 CB taken: Porter - Big 10
#8 CB taken: Lee - SEC (and not noted as a speed guy)

If the SEC is so damn superior, where are all the "liquid hipped speedster" guys that Nelson would have to face to convince you he is NFL caliber? The fact of the matter is that Nelson faced plenty of high end talent at Kansas State, and there should be no questions regarding the level of competition he faced. If you want to question a Jennings or Jones, who actually did come from lower levels of competition, so be it. But don't give me this "SEC or shit" garbage.

Amen Brother!

Tarlam!
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM

I might have bought that theory - until they drafted Finley.

Except he also drafted Swain.

So we can speculate which of the 2 whitey WR's will be a TE project. One of them will....

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Except he also drafted Swain.

So we can speculate which of the 2 whitey WR's will be a TE project. One of them will....

Swain is like 6'0" 200 lbs. Tory Humphrey is considered a shrimp at TE, and he's taller than that.

Patler
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Neither Nelson nor Swain is anywhere close to being big enough. Nelson at 6'3" would be short for a TE, and would have to gain about 35 lbs.

Besides, they signed an undrafted rookie TE that is 6"8, 270.

CaliforniaCheez
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
The more I've seen of him on You tube and other places the more I like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUu-nLx0lw&feature=related

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Draft%20Order&p=216303&s=3030302&i=248065

b bulldog
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I bet I could make a video of myself on youtube and I could make myself look like a great prospect.

mission
04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
I bet I could make a video of myself on youtube and I could make myself look like a great prospect.

maybe for an ohio state jackoff porn video competition or something...

Packnut
04-30-2008, 09:19 PM

maybe for an ohio state jackoff porn video competition or something...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM

While I admit that highlight reels are extremely biased...

There is also no second guessing how good Nelson looks on those reels. For all the knocks on his speed, I consistently see him just running away from guys in the secondary. And he isn't just doing this against Northeastern Farm State Community College. He is running away from guys who are playing for elite schools like Oklahoma and Texas.

Sammy4Pack
05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
It's nice to dream about a great Nelson draft pick. it's driver, jennings and jones and up to nelson to prove himself. may the best WR win! New QB, new favs for receivers. time will tell.

Fritz
05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Can't we at least give the Noodle some love for that great phrase "liquid-hipped speedsters"?

Sexy.

And I'm a fan of the Jonester. He's gonna bust out this year as the #3 guy.

Noodle
05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the love, Fritzy.

As to you other d-bags, I'm guessing the only thing you ever read is the back of cereal boxes, because your comprehension abilities are akin to a friggin spider monkey.

Take a breath, lose your pathetic hypersensitivity regarding the SEC that is probably caused by you being uncoordinated, slow-footed, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing troglodytes, and READ WHAT I WROTE (perhaps try saying it out loud while you read, I hear that can help).

I didn't say the SEC was the only conference with athletic CBs, only that such corners did play in the SEC. I did say that the Big 12 had good CBs, and I gave specific respect to Texas and Oklahoma. And I concluded that Nelson would be fine because he had proved himself against those quality defenses.

So what's your problem with that?

swede
05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
So what's your problem with that? You...uncoordinated, slow-footed, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing troglodytes.

Me thinking...me got nothing. :(

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/caveman_tar.jpg

KYPack
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Good rant, Noodle.

Joemailman
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
So what's your problem with that? You...uncoordinated, slow-footed, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing troglodytes.

Me thinking...me got nothing. :(

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/caveman_tar.jpg

Reminds me of a song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRXQEA0yj0

Not sure what any of this has to do with Jordy Nelson. :huh:

Noodle
05-01-2008, 11:32 PM
That youtube clip rocked. Didn't that guy go on to star in Twin Peaks?

MJZiggy
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I'll sock it to you daddy???

jmbarnes101
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I absolutely friggin love this kid. I'm buying a Jordy jersey as soon as possible and I'm drafting him on all of my fantasy football teams. What, that might be going a bit far but I really do like the way this kid looks and acts. BTW, how many dropped passes did he have that were actually catchable? This kid made every catch look amazing.

RashanGary
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Nelson had the play of the day at camp fighting off a defender on a deep ball from Flynn.

vince
05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Nelson had the play of the day at camp fighting off a defender on a deep ball from Flynn.
Where did you hear about this JH? Any more news from rookie camp?

RashanGary
05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
The insiders blog at packersnews.com

RashanGary
05-04-2008, 12:31 PM
* Second-round draft pick Brian Brohm completed 7 of 8 passes during 7-on-7, though again, it's important to note statistics are mostly meaningless in rookie camp.

* In the same drill, seventh-rounder Matt Flynn was on the throwing end of the offensive play of the day, when he hit WR Jordy Nelson on a 'go' route down the left sideline. Nelson slowed and adjusted to the ball in the air, getting enough separation from tryout CB Michael Medina (Wyoming) to pull it in with his arms extended.