PDA

View Full Version : Remarks from Vinnie Iyer on Packers picks

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Jets trade up to take Dustin Keller at No. 30. The Packers haven't had a great first-round track record of late, so it was smart to trade down to Round 2. As for Keller, the Jets simply get the draft's top athletic receiving tight end. He will step in to be a key intermediate target for either Kellen Clemens or Chad Pennington.

Packers take Jordy Nelson at No. 36. Some people might see this is a reach, but I like Nelson's versatility as a wide receiver and explosive return man. Green Bay didn't have any glaring weaknesses as your NFC runner-up, so it could a little off the reservation to get a luxury pick. I loved watching Nelson produce at K-State.

Packers take Brian Brohm at No. 56. Again, another pick for which the Pack will get criticized, but another one I like. Great value here for a quarterback who might end up being the best one in this class. This should light a fire under Aaron Rodgers and also gives Green Bay someone to develop if Rodgers can't quite be the successor to Brett Favre.

Packers take Patrick Lee at No. 60. After going a bit of the luxury route with both Jordy Nelson and Brian Brohm, Green Bay grabs its cornerback of the near future to replace either Charles Woodson or Al Harris down the line. Lee is a good fit because of his physical playing style.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
I listened to a great deal of ESPN and Sporting News radio this weekend and they both noted that the Packers had one of the better drafts.

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I have heard nothing but praise about the Packers draft. Only one site called Sitton a reach but then another site said his stock was soaring and it was the perfect time to get him. Go figure.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I loves me some Vinnie Iyer.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 10:08 PM
They also said that the shock of the draft in their opinion was the Bears passing on Mendenhall.